Wednesday, Jan. 21
5:00 pm
TV: KCAL 6:00pm, NBALP
Radio: KLAC-AM 570/KWKW-AM 1330
Recap | Box Score | Photos | Highlights

Lakers - 82
Grizzlies - 88

Lakers Misstep in Memphis
Gary Payton scored 24 points but the Lakers couldn't hold a six-point halftime lead and lost to the Grizzlies 88-82 in Memphis on Wednesday. Slava Medvedenko scored 12 points and grabbed 12 rebounds for Los Angeles, which visits Dallas on Thursday.

Post your comments here...
Last edited by Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby luis2k10 on Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:32 am

damn kcal with its tape delay games :(
luis2k10

Postby Kb8theGreat on Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:34 am

i woder why they do that 8\
Kobe is the Future of our franchise no matter if you like it or not.
Kb8theGreat

Postby @ on Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:27 am

PLEASEEEEE WIN !!!! :bow:
@

Postby señorita on Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:31 am

Just hope that Devean wont have the same game as he did last night...
If him and Fisher stop goofing up that many times, then its definitely a win. :jam2:
señorita

Postby mo' betta blue on Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:07 am

I hate tape delay games! Since Devean is in horrible slump, Russell should start in place of him. Bryon has been a consistent scorer even with his limited amount of shots taken. He and Rush are emerging as three point threats. Bryon puts more effort in playing defense and rebounding considering he's older, less athletic, slower, and shorter than Devean. Bryon's favorite shot is the catch-and-shoot. I dont like him to dribble too much since he's not a good ball handler. Rush is emerging as a good long range perimeter threat. I like to see him drive in the lane a little bit more since he can score around the basket as well. He shouldnt play perimeter ball all the the time.
Sampson should get more playing time (30 mins) to haul down 10-12 rebs and 6-8 pts. He should play with more agressiveness with the ball esp. when he's a few feet from the basket. Cook needs more PT as well so he can rebound and score 10 pts. Slava had a bad shooting night vs. the Suns. Let's hope he bounces back. He missed a few wide open jumpers. If the players are missing the easy wide open jumpers, they should start driving in the lane for layups or at least, get some free throws. They should pick their spots on when to drive in the lane or not. Scrappy defense + rebounding + hustle= winning Lakers formula. These Lakers gotta hold the fort until our main guys are back. I'm worried that Malone and Kobe will be out at least a month or so, not 1-2 weeks.

"Bend, but not break"
mo' betta blue

Postby rydjorker121 on Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:37 pm

Lakers 86
Grizzlies 104

Sorry guys but I wouldn't bet on this one...the Grizz are a depth powerhouse, and I've mentioned it many times before...contrary to what they WERE, scrubs before Jerry West came to town...Lorenzen Wright and Stromile Swift have killed us over the past couple of games, and taking care of (Horace) and Jamal Sampson would be easy for them. Damn..two losses in a row...it would be hard to win, with Pau Gasol also manning the paint...and Mike Miller, James Posey, and the newest addition, Weedy "Bonzi" Wells
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby iWuVkObE8BrYaNT on Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:50 pm

luis2k10 wrote:damn kcal with its tape delay games :(

just be thankful u get to see it. us 8o8 fanz dont. i dont even get to hear the play-by-play online cuz i gotz class :bang:

`Behind every great man is a great woman`

`It is not necessary to hope in order to undertake, or to succeed in order to perservere`
iWuVkObE8BrYaNT

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:23 pm

we will lose no doubt...badly

109-85 grizzlies...pau gasol 28 pts 10 rebounds 5 assists...

Rush will have 22 pts
FabFourLakers

Postby JSM on Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:31 pm

I was originally going to go to this game, boy am I glad I'm not. I wouldn't want to be in the same city, while this game is going on...because it is going to get ugly.

Jorker was right, we are going to lose this one. We will be lucky if we lose by less than 15, the Grizz are extremely deep, especially at our weak defensive positions. We will get killed, it's as simple as that. The only matchup we win is Payton vs Williams.

Payton/Williams: Both are guys who like to get out and run, so this should be a fun game to see. Williams will get lost in defending Payton, because of Payton's superior knowledge of the game and game situations. And Payton is under control when he plays, while Williams still plays erratic. Both will get double digits and a good amount of assists, but Payton should be able to force Williams to cause some turnovers and get some easy steals. But with these 2 guys at the point, look for there to be a lot of running and probably some fast breaks. Payton will need to score more than usual, because he will be the only guy able to get points against his defender.

Rush/Miller & Bonzi: Poor Rush, he is going to get Killed by these 2. He stands no chance of doing much of anything and won't be able to stop these guys. Miller will light us up from downtown and Bonzi will attack from the inside. Rush will get around 14 points and allow 30-35 points.

George/Posey & Battier: Come on Devean, let's go for 0-20 tonight, you know you can do it...at least he would be able to set some kind of record. George is going to screw this game over for us. He will make bad shots, he will be in the game too long, he will make bad passes, make bad plays, and grab the ball when it's still in the cylinder, and best of all...he won't play ANY defense. HE will let Posey and Battier make him look like he shouldn't even be in the NBA...won't be too hard to do. Our only saving grace for this matchup and game would be if Phil started Russell in George's place and gave Walton the SF minutes off the bench. Let George not play at all, he can sit and observe from the bench, any maybe learn a few thing from a rookie.

Slava/Gasol & Swift: Pau won't let Slava's shots get anywhere near the rim, is going to be ugly. Pau will dominate, he will score and rebound at will. Making it look like the Slava of last year. Swift will probably get a dunk of the night on us and even make it to Sportcenter's top 10. Pau is much bigger and more talented than Slava, he is going to deny Slava position in the post and make us realize how bad we need the Mailman.

Sampson/Wright: this also will actually be a good matchup, we will lose it, but it will still be a good one. This might be our 2nd easiest matchup, but Wright will expose our need for Shaq and get an easy double double against Jamal, who the best we can hope for from-would be 6 points and 8 or 9 boards.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Shaki on Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:50 am

Damn, i must tell that we are going to loose. After reading the jsm0331 nightly matchups i am even more convinced about it. As he wrote, Slava vs. Pau would be almost scoreless.

But there is a chance that i am wrong like i was wrong in predicting our win in phoenix. I hope for this kind of surprise.

Lakers 85
Grizzlies 101
Shaki

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:52 pm

i put bonzi and pau on my fantasy team...i know they will each go for 20+ and 10+ rebounds...good additions huh? and for tommorow's fantasy team i put 3 Dallas Mavs...finley nowitzki and walker on my fantasy team
FabFourLakers

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:34 pm

Depth is one thing that Memphis has, we will have to be careful. Hopefully George will come out of his poor shooting slump and have a big game for us. I predict this to be a very solid game by everybody. We should win this one...

NOTE: I have a basketball game @ 6:30 tonight, so the gameday forum may be possibly updated a little later tonight. Thanks for the understanding everyone!
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby lakerman34 on Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:07 pm

i think we win tonight. memphis might have depth, but it's garbage depth. we're short-handed to say the least but i think we'll come out hungry tonight and i think devean will be fired up. the grizz might have ok players like gasol and battier, but none of them can stop payton if he gets hot, or devean if he's shooting. we're giving this team too much credit, i look for us to come out tonight and give it our all. write that down.
lakerman34

Postby iWuVkObE8BrYaNT on Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:18 pm

think POSITIVE

`Behind every great man is a great woman`

`It is not necessary to hope in order to undertake, or to succeed in order to perservere`
iWuVkObE8BrYaNT

Postby lakerzrule on Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:35 pm

I hate to say it but I must agree with most of you, the Lakers will lose tonight, Memphis is a much better team this season, we're playing them on the road, we just lost to Phoenix at home, and Devean George is doing badly. I just hope Rush and some of the other players have a big game and the score doesn't get too lopsided like when the Grizzlies beat the Nets by 40+ points. I might not even watch the game and get the score online instead because of the stupid tape delay. :man5:
lakerzrule

Postby whats golden on Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:42 pm

hey all, can anyone help with a live audio stream, KVTA is giving me no joy.

They said playing basketball would kill me. Well, not playing basketball was killing me.
Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson
whats golden

Postby rydjorker121 on Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:53 pm

okay...I sorta change my mind...Lakers win we are always good against the Grizz in the clutch, maybe that'll pay off...lets use Udoka more, I wanta see what he can do :man1:
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby lakerzrule on Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:53 pm

Well I don't know about the audio stream, but according to Yahoo's GameChannel, the Lakers are up by one in the first quarter! Maybe I will watch this game. :jam2:
lakerzrule

Postby whats golden on Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:00 pm

Devean hits his first shot!

They said playing basketball would kill me. Well, not playing basketball was killing me.
Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson
whats golden

Postby lakerzrule on Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:03 pm

Devean hit a shot? That's a good sign. The Lakers are still up by one! Not bad. :man1:

Update: The Lakers are up by three, 10:28 to go in the second quarter. :jam2:
lakerzrule

Postby SMUnderground on Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:13 pm

stupid posey..more like [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]..one steal one block in a row...and 4 pt..laker 28 grizzlie 29..9:17 in second quarter
SMUnderground

Postby lakerzrule on Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:17 pm

You're right! Memphis has taken the lead. Damn that sux. :bang:
lakerzrule

Postby whats golden on Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:17 pm

Image 30

Image 29

Kareem Rush has been hanging out with Devean to much he's 1-6, Fisher hits the Lakers first basket with 6:56 remaining in the 2nd.

Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson
whats golden

Postby lakerzrule on Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:18 pm

Thanx 4 the info, looks like this game is up-and-down so far. :freak2:
lakerzrule

Next

Return to Lakers Gameday