Wed. 11/02 @ Nuggets - Results Inside - Postgame comments

Postby iWuVkObE8BrYaNT on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:39 am

DMK wrote:They yelled "Kobe Sucks" which crossed the lines...and THEY PAYED FOR IT.

Hate him, boo him... but he doesnt suck...and he will make u pay for it...duhhhh.

Kobe.... looked around the arena after the game winner as to say "huh? what you say? what?> i couldnt hear you..i was too busy beating your team"

i was honestly begging for more boo's cuz as we all know, kobe thrives on proving people wrong...and that he did :bow:

`Behind every great man is a great woman`

`It is not necessary to hope in order to undertake, or to succeed in order to perservere`
iWuVkObE8BrYaNT

Postby onetrackt on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:42 am

iWuVkObE8BrYaNT wrote:
DMK wrote:They yelled "Kobe Sucks" which crossed the lines...and THEY PAYED FOR IT.

Hate him, boo him... but he doesnt suck...and he will make u pay for it...duhhhh.

Kobe.... looked around the arena after the game winner as to say "huh? what you say? what?> i couldnt hear you..i was too busy beating your team"

i was honestly begging for more boo's cuz as we all know, kobe thrives on proving people wrong...and that he did :bow:

The best part was after he hit the shot he just stood there and mad dogged the whole crowd.

That was Great!!!
Last edited by onetrackt on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
onetrackt

Postby dont_H8_the8 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:43 am

Front page espn. I remember someone called it here in gameday.
dont_H8_the8

Postby nameant on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:44 am

onetrackt wrote:The best part was after he hit the shot he just stood their and mad dogged the whole crowd.

That was Great!!!

no doubt. during the game they booed him. (as pathetic and trendy as that is) by the time the game was over...he shut them the hell up. i love it. :bow:
nameant

Postby Apexed on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:46 am

if Mihm made all his FTs and kept his fouls at 3 max...we woulda secured the win.......we all know kobe can do magnificent things..but there are 2 major factors that'll always determine the laker's winning a close game this season

1. Kobe being great
2. Mihm not screwing up on defense
Last edited by Apexed on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apexed

Postby nameant on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:47 am

Apexed wrote:but there are 2 major factors that'll always determine the laker's winning a close game this season

1. Kobe being lucky

i guess that means mihm not giving up 10 alley-oops to camby? :disagree:
nameant

Postby iWuVkObE8BrYaNT on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:48 am

purplengoldjonez wrote:Mihm= was un inspiring, lathargic and down right pitiful. Grade F

it seems as if the only way he would improve is if he got a new pair of hands :man11:

sidenote: i've never seen phil show so much emotion as he did when he was giving it to mihm. sure he probably deserved it, but i felt bad for him. i just hope he figures it out soon

`Behind every great man is a great woman`

`It is not necessary to hope in order to undertake, or to succeed in order to perservere`
iWuVkObE8BrYaNT

Postby Apexed on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:48 am

actually my favorite moment was when George got verbally upfront with that emotional kid Carmelo
Apexed

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:49 am

I'm listening to Laker Line on 570 AM, and a caller made a nice assumption. He stated that a possible reason that Kwame got that ball on the post in that last play in overtime, was that Phil called and designed for that play to start with Kwame to take the final shot. A possible mental reinforcement for Kwame that he is a important part of this team. That Phil trust him to take the final shot.

This is not my thinking. A caller from 570 AM stated it.

Glad that Kobe was there to bail him out. Kwame will do better next time he has that chance. :jam2:
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Apexed on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:49 am

nameant wrote:
Apexed wrote:but there are 2 major factors that'll always determine the laker's winning a close game this season

1. Kobe being lucky

i guess that means mihm not giving up 10 alley-oops to camby? :disagree:

yup..that too...they gotta work on boxing out EVERY nugget on the rematch game...including Camby..he's getting too many freebies
Apexed

Postby onetrackt on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:50 am

Apexed wrote:actually my favorite moment was when George got verbally upfront with that emotional kid Carmelo

George was about to knock Melo out

:jam2:
onetrackt

Postby pavlovscow on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:51 am

When is Kobe lucky?

Duncan and Fish shots from two years ago, lucky. Kobe shoots those shots all night.

The key to close games

clutch shooting
great 1 on 1 defense
pavlovscow

Postby trips on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:52 am

Smush left little doubt in my mind that he can play starting point guard and play it well. :man4:

Devean George gave a great sixth man performance, making key shots and shutting down melo. If D-George can continue like this throughout the whole season.... :bow: we'll be a team to reckon with.

And how about that second units defense.

Although Odom had an off night he still managed to put up some decent stats. He looks lost on his own offense and is trying to improvise in order to score, but JAX should take care of this and put up some plays for him down in the post.

Why was Kobe handed the ball in the last five minutes outside the three point line. Odom has to find a way to give the ball to Kobe closer to the basket, in the post if possible.

To sum it all up... this is gonna be a very entertaining year.
trips

Postby Real Deal on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:52 am

POSITIVES
  • Passing. There was a point in the game that the Lakers had 15 assists on 20 shots made, which is a huge improvement from last season. In fact, take a glance at a few box scores last year...the assist totals are hideous. The triangle was decent in the first, but broke down soon after, and the passing started to decrease with time. However, we kept the ball moving, which is exactly what we need to work on as much as possible.
  • Kobe Bryant. He shot 46% with 33 points, five boards and five assists...and tack on the game-winner, and some key blocks. Now let's eliminate the stats...Kobe looked to pass before he shot many more times than I would even predict. He went to Mihm and Kwame both, in clutch situations, until he finally just ended the game himself in overtime. His 15 in the fourth led the charge and kept LA in the game. This was a given positive.
  • Parker/George. For two players who many would predict to be our 4th and 5th scoring options, these guys were impressive. George racked up 14 points, eight rebounds and four assists in 33 minutes, while Parker gave Phil a nice stack of numbers: 20 points, four rebounds and six assists, including a clutch three to keep us in the game. Their defense tells a similar story, where both were hustling and crashing the defensive glass. Nice games for both players.
NEGATIVES
  • Odom/Mihm. Odom's scoring abilities are...gone. Sure, he almost pulled off a triple-double, but give me a break: his shot selection sucked, and it's like he just doesn't want to attack the basket anymore. Not good, Mr. Odom...not good at all. Please, don't get me started with Chris Mihm. His learning curve is about as straight as a bullet pass to a wide-open Camby. How many times was Camby open? More times than Mihm's eyes were.
  • Rebounding. Blame our frontcourt for this. In the triangle, we should have four guys crashing the boards, not just our shortest, fastest players. That MAY be why we were burned on our transitions. Not only did we look bad on the offensive glass, but on the defensive boards...it wasn't pretty, either. Mihm's feet come off the ground 3 inches max, and Cook's inability to get position on anyone in the paint is sickening.
  • Foul trouble. I don't believe I have to mention any names. Actually, even Bryant found himself with two stinging offensive fouls to go with his other two on the defensive end. Kwame and Mihm are going to have to find a way to stay out of foul trouble; both played under 28 minutes because of it.
Real Deal

Postby dont_H8_the8 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:53 am

Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 wrote:I'm listening to Laker Line on 570 AM, and a caller made a nice assumption. He stated that a possible reason that Kwame got that ball on the post in that last play in overtime, was that Phil called and designed for that play to start with Kwame to take the final shot. A possible mental reinforcement for Kwame that he is a important part of this team. That Phil trust him to take the final shot.

This is not my thinking. A caller from 570 AM stated it.

Glad that Kobe was there to bail him out. Kwame will do better next time he has that chance. :jam2:

I also think that Kwame got the ball for the experience.. the experience for him to be in those type of pressure situations so that he knows how to handle them.
dont_H8_the8

Postby LakRfAn on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:55 am

Wow...

So incredibly impressed with the team

I predicted lots of turnovers and a loss

I got lots of turnovers and a gutty team-oriented win

Beautiful work all around by DGeorge and Smush

Beautiful patience and maturity by Kobe

Going to Kwame on the last play - brilliant move by Phil & Kobe

I'm very proud to be a Lakers fan right now
LakRfAn
Resident Hoops Junkie

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:55 am

Apexed wrote:if Mihm made all his FTs and kept his fouls at 3 max...we woulda secured the win.......we all know kobe can do magnificent things..but there are 2 major factors that'll always determine the laker's winning a close game this season

1. Kobe being lucky

You got it wrong bro. Change it to:

1. Kobe being great

Not lucky. He's just great.

Like Robert Horry said when Vlade Divac called his three pointer lucky during Game 4 of the 2002 WCF..." He better read the newspapers, because I been making those shots my whole career."
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:04 am

One thing about Devean George.

What this team is a football mentality to the court. And Devean George provided that tonight. The play when he got into a confrontation with Melo and both got called for a double Technical. He didn't backed down.

We need some dirty and rugged players in this team in the same line of Rodman, Artest, and Charles Oakley. A guy with a mean streak that will do ANYTHING to get a win and a mental edge.

And Devean provided that toughness to the game.

I just wish that Kwame and Mihm can have that same fire.

Oh well...can't have everything....right.

GO LAKERS!!!!
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Apexed on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:09 am

pavlovscow wrote:When is Kobe lucky?

Duncan and Fish shots from two years ago, lucky. Kobe shoots those shots all night.

The key to close games

clutch shooting
great 1 on 1 defense

sorry mr. technical...i was using the word lucky loosely.....

i edited my other post...so take it easy
Last edited by Apexed on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Apexed

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:11 am

you guys can go thru theses threads and find many negative comments, many from me, and other members...but its only cuz we're TRUE LAKER fans and we will get mad over ANY LITTLE thing that went wrong during the game! i mean i got mad when Kobe took that 3 when there was still more than enuff time to get back in the game....i was mad when odom kept missinng shots and jus suckin it up...i was mad when mihm kept leaving camby WIDE OPEN...i was mad at the number of TOs....but in the end...it was an emotionallly draining game for the lakers and their superstar, their savior, their franchise player, Kobe Bryant, came thru when they needed him most....

It was an emotionally draining game for us FANS too....i mean after 5 months of speculation, arguing, debating, cursing, and preseason ball, we finally got to see this team in REGULAR SEASON form....and it was against a TOP FOUR WESTERN CONFERENCE TEAM ON THE ROAD...and we were able to fight through adversity when we were down 5 (and yes i did think at that point the game coudl be over if we didnt get a defensive stop)....i mean this is a YOUNG team, and for us to get this win iS HUGE...i mean we still dont know what to expect from this team after jus one game...but we know that this team WILL compete every night...so many quesitons about our depth, i think guys like George, Parker, Cook, Profit and hell even BYNUM might have answered part of that tonight....the real questions are gonna be how kwame, odom and mihm develop as the season goes on within the triangle offense...but ill tell u what..i like when we gave Kwame the ball...he should have made that hook shot....but im sure he'll knock it down next time....but he DID get the biggest offensive rebound of his career....and gave kobe a 2nd chance at winning game....
FabFourLakers

Postby Apexed on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:14 am

FabFourLakers wrote:you guys can go thru theses threads and find many negative comments, many from me, and other members...but its only cuz we're TRUE LAKER fans and we will get mad over ANY LITTLE thing that went wrong during the game! i mean i got mad when Kobe took that 3 when there was still more than enuff time to get back in the game....i was mad when odom kept missinng shots and jus suckin it up...i was mad when mihm kept leaving camby WIDE OPEN...i was mad at the number of TOs....but in the end...it was an emotionallly draining game for the lakers and their superstar, their savior, their franchise player, Kobe Bryant, came thru when they needed him most....

It was an emotionally draining game for us FANS too....i mean after 5 months of speculation, arguing, debating, cursing, and preseason ball, we finally got to see this team in REGULAR SEASON form....and it was against a TOP FOUR WESTERN CONFERENCE TEAM ON THE ROAD...and we were able to fight through adversity when we were down 5 (and yes i did think at that point the game coudl be over if we didnt get a defensive stop)....i mean this is a YOUNG team, and for us to get this win iS HUGE...i mean we still dont know what to expect from this team after jus one game...but we know that this team WILL compete every night...so many quesitons about our depth, i think guys like George, Parker, Cook, Profit and hell even BYNUM might have answered part of that tonight....the real questions are gonna be how kwame, odom and mihm develop as the season goes on within the triangle offense...but ill tell u what..i like when we gave Kwame the ball...he should have made that hook shot....but im sure he'll knock it down next time....but he DID get the biggest offensive rebound of his career....and gave kobe a 2nd chance at winning game....

ya...the Nuggets are predicted to be one of the top contendors in the west...and Phil's mediocre team beat them....screw the itty bitty negatives for now...i think that game said alot about the future of this squad under phil's direction
Apexed

Postby dont_H8_the8 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:20 am

FabFourLakers wrote:you guys can go thru theses threads and find many negative comments, many from me, and other members...but its only cuz we're TRUE LAKER fans and we will get mad over ANY LITTLE thing that went wrong during the game! i mean i got mad when Kobe took that 3 when there was still more than enuff time to get back in the game....i was mad when odom kept missinng shots and jus suckin it up...i was mad when mihm kept leaving camby WIDE OPEN...i was mad at the number of TOs....but in the end...it was an emotionallly draining game for the lakers and their superstar, their savior, their franchise player, Kobe Bryant, came thru when they needed him most....

good post... i felt the same way.
dont_H8_the8

Postby Ring It Up on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:35 am

The best moment of the night for me was when Camby fouled out. That meant I didnt have to watch any more lobs.
How do I know Jesus loves me so much he doesn't want me working the whole weekend?
Exodus 31:15 Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death.
Don't believe those lies, son! The only lies worth believing are the ones in the Bible! Can I get an amen?
Ring It Up

Postby nameant on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:40 am

Ring It Up wrote:The best moment of the night for me was when Camby fouled out. That meant I didnt have to watch any more lobs.

:man10: i bet mihm was thinking the same thing. hell, our whole team probably was.
nameant

Postby halekulani on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:54 am

Real Deal wrote:POSITIVES
  • Passing. There was a point in the game that the Lakers had 15 assists on 20 shots made, which is a huge improvement from last season. In fact, take a glance at a few box scores last year...the assist totals are hideous. The triangle was decent in the first, but broke down soon after, and the passing started to decrease with time. However, we kept the ball moving, which is exactly what we need to work on as much as possible.
  • Kobe Bryant. He shot 46% with 33 points, five boards and five assists...and tack on the game-winner, and some key blocks. Now let's eliminate the stats...Kobe looked to pass before he shot many more times than I would even predict. He went to Mihm and Kwame both, in clutch situations, until he finally just ended the game himself in overtime. His 15 in the fourth led the charge and kept LA in the game. This was a given positive.
  • Parker/George. For two players who many would predict to be our 4th and 5th scoring options, these guys were impressive. George racked up 14 points, eight rebounds and four assists in 33 minutes, while Parker gave Phil a nice stack of numbers: 20 points, four rebounds and six assists, including a clutch three to keep us in the game. Their defense tells a similar story, where both were hustling and crashing the defensive glass. Nice games for both players.
NEGATIVES
  • Odom/Mihm. Odom's scoring abilities are...gone. Sure, he almost pulled off a triple-double, but give me a break: his shot selection sucked, and it's like he just doesn't want to attack the basket anymore. Not good, Mr. Odom...not good at all. Please, don't get me started with Chris Mihm. His learning curve is about as straight as a bullet pass to a wide-open Camby. How many times was Camby open? More times than Mihm's eyes were.
  • Rebounding. Blame our frontcourt for this. In the triangle, we should have four guys crashing the boards, not just our shortest, fastest players. That MAY be why we were burned on our transitions. Not only did we look bad on the offensive glass, but on the defensive boards...it wasn't pretty, either. Mihm's feet come off the ground 3 inches max, and Cook's inability to get position on anyone in the paint is sickening.
  • Foul trouble. I don't believe I have to mention any names. Actually, even Bryant found himself with two stinging offensive fouls to go with his other two on the defensive end. Kwame and Mihm are going to have to find a way to stay out of foul trouble; both played under 28 minutes because of it.

How can you possibly make a list like that without including defense?

the lakers defense was terrible tonight. it's going to be a long season.
halekulani

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Gameday