Wed. 11/02 @ Nuggets - Results Inside - Postgame comments

Postby Apexed on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:56 am

halekulani wrote:
Real Deal wrote:POSITIVES
  • Passing. There was a point in the game that the Lakers had 15 assists on 20 shots made, which is a huge improvement from last season. In fact, take a glance at a few box scores last year...the assist totals are hideous. The triangle was decent in the first, but broke down soon after, and the passing started to decrease with time. However, we kept the ball moving, which is exactly what we need to work on as much as possible.
  • Kobe Bryant. He shot 46% with 33 points, five boards and five assists...and tack on the game-winner, and some key blocks. Now let's eliminate the stats...Kobe looked to pass before he shot many more times than I would even predict. He went to Mihm and Kwame both, in clutch situations, until he finally just ended the game himself in overtime. His 15 in the fourth led the charge and kept LA in the game. This was a given positive.
  • Parker/George. For two players who many would predict to be our 4th and 5th scoring options, these guys were impressive. George racked up 14 points, eight rebounds and four assists in 33 minutes, while Parker gave Phil a nice stack of numbers: 20 points, four rebounds and six assists, including a clutch three to keep us in the game. Their defense tells a similar story, where both were hustling and crashing the defensive glass. Nice games for both players.
NEGATIVES
  • Odom/Mihm. Odom's scoring abilities are...gone. Sure, he almost pulled off a triple-double, but give me a break: his shot selection sucked, and it's like he just doesn't want to attack the basket anymore. Not good, Mr. Odom...not good at all. Please, don't get me started with Chris Mihm. His learning curve is about as straight as a bullet pass to a wide-open Camby. How many times was Camby open? More times than Mihm's eyes were.
  • Rebounding. Blame our frontcourt for this. In the triangle, we should have four guys crashing the boards, not just our shortest, fastest players. That MAY be why we were burned on our transitions. Not only did we look bad on the offensive glass, but on the defensive boards...it wasn't pretty, either. Mihm's feet come off the ground 3 inches max, and Cook's inability to get position on anyone in the paint is sickening.
  • Foul trouble. I don't believe I have to mention any names. Actually, even Bryant found himself with two stinging offensive fouls to go with his other two on the defensive end. Kwame and Mihm are going to have to find a way to stay out of foul trouble; both played under 28 minutes because of it.

How can you possibly make a list like that without including defense?

the lakers defense was terrible tonight. it's going to be a long season.

? Defense issues was conveyed in last 2 negatives :man3:
Apexed

Postby Real Deal on Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:33 am

halekulani wrote:
  • Passing. There was a point in the game that the Lakers had 15 assists on 20 shots made, which is a huge improvement from last season. In fact, take a glance at a few box scores last year...the assist totals are hideous. The triangle was decent in the first, but broke down soon after, and the passing started to decrease with time. However, we kept the ball moving, which is exactly what we need to work on as much as possible.
  • Kobe Bryant. He shot 46% with 33 points, five boards and five assists...and tack on the game-winner, and some key blocks. Now let's eliminate the stats...Kobe looked to pass before he shot many more times than I would even predict. He went to Mihm and Kwame both, in clutch situations, until he finally just ended the game himself in overtime. His 15 in the fourth led the charge and kept LA in the game. This was a given positive.
  • Parker/George. For two players who many would predict to be our 4th and 5th scoring options, these guys were impressive. George racked up 14 points, eight rebounds and four assists in 33 minutes, while Parker gave Phil a nice stack of numbers: 20 points, four rebounds and six assists, including a clutch three to keep us in the game. Their defense tells a similar story, where both were hustling and crashing the defensive glass. Nice games for both players.
NEGATIVES
  • Odom/Mihm. Odom's scoring abilities are...gone. Sure, he almost pulled off a triple-double, but give me a break: his shot selection sucked, and it's like he just doesn't want to attack the basket anymore. Not good, Mr. Odom...not good at all. Please, don't get me started with Chris Mihm. His learning curve is about as straight as a bullet pass to a wide-open Camby. How many times was Camby open? More times than Mihm's eyes were.
  • Rebounding. Blame our frontcourt for this. In the triangle, we should have four guys crashing the boards, not just our shortest, fastest players. That MAY be why we were burned on our transitions. Not only did we look bad on the offensive glass, but on the defensive boards...it wasn't pretty, either. Mihm's feet come off the ground 3 inches max, and Cook's inability to get position on anyone in the paint is sickening.
  • Foul trouble. I don't believe I have to mention any names. Actually, even Bryant found himself with two stinging offensive fouls to go with his other two on the defensive end. Kwame and Mihm are going to have to find a way to stay out of foul trouble; both played under 28 minutes because of it.

You may wanna go back and read it.

Oh yeah...we did win, by the way...
Real Deal

Postby Paul on Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:56 am

YEAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I´m so happy they won, i just came back from work, and when i read that they won, with a Buzzer from Kobe i jumped around and my mom was lookin at me like they had just won the Championship. :man10:

I was jumpin around, i´m so happy, damn, tommorow i will wear my Lakers Kobe Jersey under my workin dress. :jam2:

Damn, cant say it enough, i´m so happy, wow what a start, this made my day. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Paul
Clublakers Rep: Germany/Poland

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:30 am

What a way to start a season! :jam2:
Smush was awesome, played 40 minutes, scored 20 points (hit clutch 3pt at the end of 4th Quarter), dished 4 assists, had 4 rebs and didn't had any turnovers!
Lamar - struggled in shooting, only 8pts, but he dished 7 rebounds and had 9 rebounds!

Kobe was our hero! Game winner, 33 pts, 5 assists, 5 rebounds...
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby Startrex on Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:18 am

KB8@CL wrote:So some serious words now. This will sure be followed by an announcement
1.BYPASSING THE CENSOR IS A NO-NO no matter if you cuss a member or a call or whatever.

2. It was PATHETIC to read through this thread. There are almost only negative CRAP allthough we just beat a secret contender on the road. Some of you selfcalled fans must REALLY change your gameday mentality. A lot of pointless and irrational posts were made.

3.My condolences Leftymo. You will get over this win. Be prapered for further disappointment in the near future but I feel ya.

I am glad I wasn't here reading all the negative stuffs. Consider Nuggets lucky because Lakers did not play well enough to hold on the lead they built in the 3rd quarter (7 points).

Remember folks... this is Lakers' first REAL game, trying to apply the REAL system for the first time. You'd expect mistakes, technically and mentally, here and there ... and there were many of them (like hurrying up after a steal, walks, and bad passes).

Kwame, Odom, and Mihm and even Bynum contributed well on defense based on my observation. Those guys were responsible for 7 blocks and many altered shots! Offensively, they were flat and tentative. Kwame and Mihm needed to attack differently. Odom needed more postup moves particularly when Kobe was out.

Parker and King George!! Couldn't say enough of these dudes!! Offense and defense... they were the mvps of first game. I loved it when Georgie frustrated Melo. :man9: :jam2:

Cook, Profit and Sasha played decently. During a span, Cook seemed to make every shot he took. Profit provided some 3 steals and 4 points in his 10 minutes.

Kobe... made some forced shots but was patient enough with teammates even in crunch time (though I wouldn't advise him to pass to Kwame with tick tock tick tock on the clock). And as I said... he'd be the difference. Wow... what a way to welcome back Jackson: A clutch shot to present Jackson a win! :jam2:

Granted this was the first game, I am glad they passed the test despite not really playing well. This is of course a huge boost towards next game against teh Suns. At home!

:bow: to the team work!
Purple and 24K Gold
Startrex

Postby Heavier Than Heaven on Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:19 am

I'm So Proud!!! Man, Hopefully We DOn't Get Too Caught Up.
BUCK FOSTON

Thanks to Mookie for Avy!
Heavier Than Heaven

Postby KB8 IS THE ONE on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:47 am

Sid Vicious wrote:I'm So Proud!!! Man, Hopefully We DOn't Get Too Caught Up.

Yeah guys take it easy its just the first game of the season, so 81 to go!
I didn't read all the pages but danm there r 68 pages!!! n from what i read in the last 2 pages there were alotta negative comments made throughout..

Guys we won n that's what counts, we weren't even supposed to win this game (top4 in west n on the road), so b happy with that win n stop whining. The game wasn't perfect, so yeah we could point out a few things here n there, but i'm sure it doesnt take 68 pages!!

Anyways congrats Lakers n Laker fans, we deserve this, we've waitied for so long to see them finally in action, the longest i can remember ;) (no playoffs last yr).. Hopefully this yr we'll have a shorter summer :jam2:
"He's human. He's 26 years old, and he's so good '...'. He's a good dude, IMO. And he's definitely one of the strongest people mentally that I've ever been around. I think everybody here kind of looks up to him for that. He's the man.", Odom
KB8 IS THE ONE

Postby KB24 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:49 am

The difference between a great and a bad team is the great team wins games in which they play bad.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Sharpshooter on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:12 am

man that was a good game.
Sharpshooter

Postby Ring It Up on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:34 am

KB8@CL wrote:The difference between a great and a bad team is the great team wins games in which they play bad.

Or Marcus and Melo fouling out. :man10:
How do I know Jesus loves me so much he doesn't want me working the whole weekend?
Exodus 31:15 Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death.
Don't believe those lies, son! The only lies worth believing are the ones in the Bible! Can I get an amen?
Ring It Up

how the lakers played in the season opener

Postby Delicious on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:46 am

I only could watch the fourth quarter leading into overtime, however
i was really impressed with the team playing a team game and not
feeding kobe on every play. they showed some mistakes on defense
but overall they played good defensively.
Set up your Wet up
Delicious

Postby BDG on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:37 am

By the way, did anyone catch Sasha literally crying on the bench last night after he got subbed out?
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Juronimo on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:56 am

What a game!

I recorded it on DVR so i could watch it when I got home from work.

I'm very impressed with our backcourt play. Smush, Devean and Kobe were awesome. Smush is a definite upgrade over Chucky. He still has a little ways to go on D but he is making an effort defensively, he'll get better. He gave us some outside shooting assists and 0 turnovers! Devean was all up in Carmelo's grill and got inside his head. He reminded me of Michael Cooper out there. Kobe was being Kobe, clutch as usual.

Our frontline looks lost. There's no excuse for all those lobs, Mihm and Kwame failed to adjust defesively. Kwame only had 5 shots, they need to get him the ball more down low. He can pretty much get solid positioning at will, the Lakers need to take advantage of that. Mihm, I don't know what to say, hopefully this is just an off night and he can get his head together. Odom is still trying to get used to his role, it will take time for him. He missed some layups that he should have made. When Odom brings the ball up, he should think about setting himself up on the mid post the way Magic used to do, and then maybe a weak side big (kwame) or a wing player (Kobe) can flash into the lane.

The bench was solid, Cook did well while he played, Bynum showed some of his talent out there with those blocks. I'm looking forward to seeing him improve. Profit had a couple of good plays. I guess our bench isn't as bad as it seems.

This is a great win for our ballclub but it seems like we won in spite of ourselves. The free throw shooting was atrocious, our bigs were dropping passes and were lost defensively. Odom had an aweful shooting night but we still won. That says alot about this team, considering we won on the road against a top 4 western conference team.

I see good things ahead for our team.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby Muggle on Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:05 pm

BryantDunkGiant wrote:By the way, did anyone catch Sasha literally crying on the bench last night after he got subbed out?

Yeah, I did...and I felt so bad for him. You could tell he was really upset with himself for his play.

While I'll agree that he had a couple bonehead plays (what was with that full court pass to nobody in particular?), I don't think it was a lack of effort on his part. I think that he must have been trying hard, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten so upset with himself. I admire his heart, and it's just a shame that he had such a bad night on the first game...not good for his confidence.

So, who takes "the fall" for keeping Sasha on the active roster...Mitch for not getting a decent PG/SG to take his place, or could it be that Phil saw something in Sasha during pre-season (it couldn't be solely because of his triangle experience, could it?) that made him think Sasha could handle himself during regular games? I suppose it could be a combination of both.

In any case, I'm not going to hate on Sasha at all...cause as long as I see him giving his best effort when the coaches are playing him, he can't be blamed too much.
Muggle

Postby halekulani on Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:06 pm

Real Deal wrote:
halekulani wrote:
NEGATIVES

You may wanna go back and read it.

Oh yeah...we did win, by the way...

my bad.

as for the win, yeah we got one. it's a great moral victory (although weiss would disagree about that..). the point is, that game was probably one of the worst 4 quarters of basketball i have EVER seen. how many alley oops did andre get? how many full court passes were thrown? christ, both teams had like 20+ turnovers by the start of the 4th quarter. how many wide open shots did people miss? HOW DID COOK MISS AN OPEN LAYUP? how did mihm miss so many 2 foot shots? he didn't get his first field goal until the third or fourth quarter.

lakers play like that against a disciplined team and they'll be taking out all their starters before the end of the half.
halekulani

Postby KB24 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:09 pm

Ring It Up wrote:
KB8@CL wrote:The difference between a great and a bad team is the great team wins games in which they play bad.

Or Marcus and Melo fouling out. :man10:

I didn´t want to say we are a great team. I just wanted to say even great teams play ugly games. Its not like the Lakers are crap because they play bad. Haters and so called realistic fans need a chillpill. leftymo-itis is all over this board. We are a team fightingfor the playoffs and I have great confidence in what we are trying to do, not more and not less.
Its sickening to win on the road against a contender and "fans" are acting like who cares. You know what? I CARE. I want us to win and I enjoy EVERY WIN to its FULL extend. You think its cool to come here and just drop a "cool" sentence and all I do is shaking my head. I mean what about credit? If we lose its because our team sucks and if we win its because the opponent suck? Gimme a break. Its truelly sickeing me to see people trying to find something negative in this win. We won and done more than expected, PERIOD. Now go and whine because Mihms shot was blocked, SMush had a TO or whatever.
To be honest Ring I always liked you as a member. But in the last few months all you do is defending Shaq and trying to act cool and thats bothering me. Once it was pre-season, now its because Denver sucks. Today its because Phoenix misses Amare or whatever. You just can´t give us one DAMN credit. All you said after todays game in which Kobe Bean Bryant made an unbelievable buzzer beater

The best moment of the night for me was when Camby fouled out. That meant I didnt have to watch any more lobs.

If you call yourself a current Laker Fan then something is fishy here.
I mean if an opener with a buzzer beater isn´t any exciting to you, then I suggest you stop watching basketball and go on with something in your cathegory "cool" like POKER?

I´m open to arguments. Don´t feel attacked, go on with what you have to say. Its not a war
Last edited by KB24 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby halekulani on Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:12 pm

i don't think it's that i don't care that we won.

i was jumping up and down screaming after kobe made the winning shot.

but i was also yelling like a high school coach at the TV for the last 2.5 hours as well.

there are negatives in this win. you're sick of hearing it, but 'realistic' fans need to relieve their stress too. yelling at the tv just isn't enough.
halekulani

Postby KB24 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:21 pm

halekulani wrote:i don't think it's that i don't care that we won.

i was jumping up and down screaming after kobe made the winning shot.

but i was also yelling like a high school coach at the TV for the last 2.5 hours as well.

there are negatives in this win. you're sick of hearing it, but 'realistic' fans need to relieve their stress too. yelling at the tv just isn't enough.

SHow me that you are a passionate Laker fan and I have no problems.
You know show me that. SCREAM after we win and bash when we suck. What I hate is always talking about the negatives and never about the positives. You missed my point in that post. Be anxious (every fan is) and yell if they make mistakes but also jump in the air after they win.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:57 pm

Muggle313 wrote:
BryantDunkGiant wrote:By the way, did anyone catch Sasha literally crying on the bench last night after he got subbed out?

Yeah, I did...and I felt so bad for him. You could tell he was really upset with himself for his play.

While I'll agree that he had a couple bonehead plays (what was with that full court pass to nobody in particular?), I don't think it was a lack of effort on his part. I think that he must have been trying hard, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten so upset with himself. I admire his heart, and it's just a shame that he had such a bad night on the first game...not good for his confidence.

So, who takes "the fall" for keeping Sasha on the active roster...Mitch for not getting a decent PG/SG to take his place, or could it be that Phil saw something in Sasha during pre-season (it couldn't be solely because of his triangle experience, could it?) that made him think Sasha could handle himself during regular games? I suppose it could be a combination of both.

In any case, I'm not going to hate on Sasha at all...cause as long as I see him giving his best effort when the coaches are playing him, he can't be blamed too much.

Good take. Phil was drilling his players - you could hear him during time outs on the KCAL9 broadcast. He drilled Sasha but I love it - it's only going to benefit him in the end.
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Justin Bailey on Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:58 pm

Muggle313 wrote:

:man6:
Justin Bailey

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:58 pm

KBB...i feel you...you hafta understand how emotionally draining this game was! becuz NOBODY believed in us, but WE did...becuz EVERYONE said we couldnt do it, except us...all my friends were tellin me how much of a JOKE the lakers were and how the clippers are better than them....even my teachers bag on the lakers...jus about all the ppl that gave up on the lakers are back on the wagon after last night...all of em callin me sayin did u see that shot blah blah blah of COURSE i did...i watched the game from start to finish AND i had an 8am midterm the next morning (jus got back from it)...obviously we're gonna get mad over EVERY LITTLE thing that goes wrong...but this was definitely a HUGE win for us....unbelievable effort shown by the lakers....great reaction to adversity...sucha great first test....we still dont know where we stand...but u knwo what? we can hang with the big boys....bcuz this is a PHIL JACKSON TEAM and we WILL compete night in and night out!!!!

We just hafta hope and pray that NO serious injuries occur!!!
FabFourLakers

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:06 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:KBB...i feel you...you hafta understand how emotionally draining this game was! becuz NOBODY believed in us, but WE did...becuz EVERYONE said we couldnt do it, except us...all my friends were tellin me how much of a JOKE the lakers were and how the clippers are better than them....even my teachers bag on the lakers...jus about all the ppl that gave up on the lakers are back on the wagon after last night...all of em callin me sayin did u see that shot blah blah blah of COURSE i did...i watched the game from start to finish AND i had an 8am midterm the next morning (jus got back from it)...obviously we're gonna get mad over EVERY LITTLE thing that goes wrong...but this was definitely a HUGE win for us....unbelievable effort shown by the lakers....great reaction to adversity...sucha great first test....we still dont know where we stand...but u knwo what? we can hang with the big boys....bcuz this is a PHIL JACKSON TEAM and we WILL compete night in and night out!!!!

WORD MAN.

The Laker aura is back my friend... it feels damn good to be a Lakers fan right now.
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby KB24 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:14 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:KBB...i feel you...you hafta understand how emotionally draining this game was! becuz NOBODY believed in us, but WE did...becuz EVERYONE said we couldnt do it, except us...all my friends were tellin me how much of a JOKE the lakers were and how the clippers are better than them....even my teachers bag on the lakers...jus about all the ppl that gave up on the lakers are back on the wagon after last night...all of em callin me sayin did u see that shot blah blah blah of COURSE i did...i watched the game from start to finish AND i had an 8am midterm the next morning (jus got back from it)...obviously we're gonna get mad over EVERY LITTLE thing that goes wrong...but this was definitely a HUGE win for us....unbelievable effort shown by the lakers....great reaction to adversity...sucha great first test....we still dont know where we stand...but u knwo what? we can hang with the big boys....bcuz this is a PHIL JACKSON TEAM and we WILL compete night in and night out!!!!

WORD :jam2:
It doesn´t make sense to think about what can go wrong. We have to enjoy the positives instead of whining about the negatives. We need that natural aura again, the one that say I´m gonna win no matter what you do.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby dont_H8_the8 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:52 pm

KB8@CL wrote:

WORD :jam2:
It doesn´t make sense to think about what can go wrong. We have to enjoy the positives instead of whining about the negatives. We need that natural aura again, the one that say I´m gonna win no matter what you do.

Amen to that. I think that last nights win was most impressive. Although it wasn't played to perfection you need to remember that this team is STILL in rebuilding mode. The fact that we beat a playoff team that has been a together for awhile while we have had some major issues and roster changes makes this a meaningful game to us. If there is a chance to work out some those problems the team can be refined to be a playoff contender. I wouldn't take it as a negative rather a positive because of the fact that we can take little steps.
dont_H8_the8

Postby JSM on Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:33 pm

Haven't gotten to watch the game yet. All I saw was Bynum's first shot attempt and his first block and rebound. I saw the clip of Kobe's game winner on ESPN. I guess I'll have to watch the game this weekend. Worst thing about college...no cable in the dorms and the tv rooms that have cable (in the student center) are always packed to hell.

Good first game for the Lakers and Phil. A W is the right way to start.

Kobe's back to his old self. Have they changed the spelling of clutch to klutch yet?

Talk about your humbling experiences. Bynum's first shot in the NBA, the one that he will remember for the rest of his career got emphatically swatted. Hopefully he uses that as fuel and determination, instead of letting it get him down.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Gameday