6:00 pm
TV: KCAL, NBALP
Radio: KLAC-AM 570/KWKW-AM 1330
Recap - http://www.nba.com/games/20040107/LALDEN/recap.html
Box Score - http://www.nba.com/games/20040107/LALDEN/boxscore.html

Lakers - 91
Nuggets - 113

Lakers Downed in Denver
Kobe Bryant scored a game-high 27 points and Gary Payton added 22 but the Lakers, playing without the injured Karl Malone and Shaquille O'Neal, lost to the Nuggets 113-91 on Wednesday. Los Angeles begins a three-game homestand Friday against Atlanta.

Post your comments here...
Last edited by Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby rydjorker121 on Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:34 pm

A PITIFUL LOSS

back-to-back games plus we're down two hall-of-famers, and based on the way we've been playing as of late it's hard to compliment the Lakers defense, and if they can't get it going defensively the same will be said in offense, and who knows if Kobe will get affected being in Denver (court hearing) and we hardly beated the Nuggets last time and they've got two great frontcourt players in Hilario and Camby...and Chris Andersen is gonna own the defensive end against us
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby JSM on Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:39 pm

this is going to be a very exciting game. Kobe vs Melo. I think we may be able to win this game, it will be a rough game though, since we are playing back to backs and got killed by Cassell, KG, and Spree.

I wish Phil would use the line up I have suggested, it would almost guarantee us a better chance of winning (Grant, Cook, Kobe, Rush, Payton).

I hope to see a classic battle. Much like the T-Mac vs Lebron, maybe it can be Kobe vs. Melo, for years to come. I hope there are some good highlights at the 2 playing against one another.

I'll have my player matchups up tomorrow
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby murcielago62 on Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:52 pm

I can't tale it anymore. It's either the sky is falling, or trade (insert name here), all the friggin' time. It's annoying as hell. It's the beginning of January and shakobe3408 is already saying the Lakers won't win it whne he knows 3 weeks ago he was saying the exact opposite, and in another 3 weeks he'll probably flip-flop over again! You guys get frustrated so easily that it's getting annoying to be around some of you guys some times. I would have hated being here at the beginning of last season. When are you guys gonna realize an NBA season 82 games and not 10? We have alot of time to get healthy and work out the kinks. Bit no, we have to scrap the triangle, trade players, and make excuses instead of letting things work themselves out. Come March and April when we're on a roll, I'll see the same people he complaining, celebrating our winnings.
"Sitting in the house, I'm loadin' up the pump. I'm loadin' up the Uzi. I got a couple M-16s, a couple 9s. I got a couple joints with some silencers on them. I'm just loading clips, a couple grenades. I got a missile launcher with a couple of missiles. I'm ready for war." - Kevin Garnett
murcielago62

Postby lakerzrule on Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:11 pm

This is a rough stretch for the Lakers and I'm sure we'll recover from this losing streak and win it all in June, but as for the next game, unless Kobe gets fired up by what is sure to be a hostile crowd in Denver and/or the other Lakers step up (and I'm not talking about the rookies, who've been playing their hearts out), I think we'll lose based on our performance as of late. I hope I'm wrong, but I must admit the Nuggets are a fairly good (not great) team, especially at home. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope L.A. snaps out of its funk tomorrow night. :man7:
lakerzrule

Postby PiEdIe on Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:54 am

if they lose 4 in a row I will call phil jackson and let him sign me... I'll show stanislov how you shoot those open jumpers
PiEdIe

Postby JSM on Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:10 pm

Payton/Miller & Boykins: Gary is mad, this could be a good thing for us though. He may be more aggressive and score more points. It seems he is sick of losing, so if he wants to win bad enough, he should be able to go out there with the attitude we can't lose and give us a good game on the offensive end. Now defense is more what I am concerned about, he let Cassell have a big night, hopefully he can step it up and not let Miller and Boykins do the same thing. Neither of the Denver guards are big scorers, but that doesn't mean that they can't have a good scoring night if not guarded. Payton needs to look to score, but more from the inside, he should be able to do better against Boykins, because Earl is so small, Payton can back him down ad push him around; but Payton will need to keep up with him, because this little guy is very fast and is the best thing the Nuggets have going for them coming off the bench.

Kobe/Lenard: I think they will put Lenard on Kobe, because they want Melo to be able to focus on offense and not have to guard one of the best guards in the league, but that doesn't mean they won't be guarding each other on several possessions. I think Kobe is going to have a HUGE game. He knows what coming tonight, an arena filled with 19,099 people who will all be booing Kobe every time he touches the ball. I think this will fuel him and give him even more reason to destroy the Nuggets. Kobe said he expect a win tonight, let's hope he's right. For us to win, Phil has to let him play how he wants, something I don't think he did in the last game, since Kobe was a lot more passive early on, and didn't really score much. Kobe has to be given the green light, without this I don't think he would be aggressive or do much for us, and for us to win we need a big game from number 8 (at least 40+). Nothing would make Kobe happier right now, than to go into Denver, and single handedly take them out, and silence all the fans that will be booing him. Kobe needs to play good defense too, Lenard is by far not their best player, but can heat up and fast...and I would prefer if he didn't do that against us. Kobe has to guard him tight at the 3 point line, because that's where he likes to get going from

George/Carmelo
: George has to step it up, especially since he hasn't given us anything in the past couple of games. I don't care if he makes a single basket, but would much rather him have a big defensive game against Carmelo and prevent him from scoring very many points. Carmelo is a much better player than George and definitely wins this matchup. I just hope George can't stop him and if he can't, Russell must come in...we can't have a unproductive George in there if he isn't doing anything. I doubt George will do much for us, and he will let Melo get 25+ points.

Slava & Cook/Nene: Nene is a lot more powerful post player than Slava. But this matchup should seem very easy after guarding KG. I know Nene will have a better game than Slava, and probably prevent Slava from getting some rebounds. I don't expect very much from Slava tonight. Cook will definitely be given a good bit of time tonight, especially with his big game against KG. I think he would have another good game tonight, he just needs to watch the fouls so he can be useful for us for longer periods of time. Good new for Slava and Cook, Nene isn't a very big offensive threat, so defense won't be as crucial tonight as it was last night, allowing both of them to focus most of their attention on offense.

Grant/Camby: Camby will have a better game than Grant tonight, he will outscore and outrebound him. Grant needs to try and prevent him from getting easy baskets, and needs to try and shoot better than last night, and if his shot isn't there, then stop shooting (because when he was forcing the shot, he didn't get us anything) and just focus on rebounds. He needs to try and get at least as many rebounds as Kobe.
JSM

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:23 pm

we're gonna get killed

denver hasnt lost 3 straight this season

we have...and we dont have shaq or malone..NENE will DOMINATE us tonight...

Melo is gunna kill george

and the lakers will be 21-11...
FabFourLakers

Postby iWuVkObE8BrYaNT on Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:53 pm

im hoping the fanz won't b too harsh on kobe

`Behind every great man is a great woman`

`It is not necessary to hope in order to undertake, or to succeed in order to perservere`
iWuVkObE8BrYaNT

Postby whats golden on Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:07 pm

anybody out there have a link for a live audio stream?

They said playing basketball would kill me. Well, not playing basketball was killing me.
Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson
whats golden

Postby BDG on Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:10 pm

Don't be surprised if a "Kobe sucks" or "rapist" chant breaks out. That would be pretty trashy though.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Realm of Shadows on Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:31 pm

No Shaq, no real chance of winning, simple as that.
What do you get when you fall in love? You only get lies and pain and sorrow.
I feel so much like giving up
Realm of Shadows
Proud Mestizo

Postby JSM on Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:40 pm

Nuggets 12
Lakers 7
7:20 left in the 1st
JSM

Postby BDG on Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:43 pm

Image 16
Image 16

5:20 1st Quarter

Great start so far.
Last edited by BDG on Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby JSM on Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:45 pm

Slava was doing good (7 points), but he picked up 3 fouls so Brian Cook is now in the game

Kobe-2 points
Payton-3 points

Lakers 14
Nuggets 14 points
5:54 left in the 1st
timeout Denver
JSM

Postby JSM on Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:48 pm

how bad have they been booing Kobe?
JSM

Postby BDG on Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:49 pm

Not that bad-- it's actually a mixed reaction sometimes with Laker fans in the audience.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby BDG on Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:50 pm

Image 19
Image 24

3:35 1st Quarter

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby JSM on Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:51 pm

wow, that's surprising
JSM

Postby BDG on Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:52 pm

Image 21
Image 24

3:08 1st Quarter

Timeout Lakers-- Lakers ball.

Well that's how I see it jsm... keep in mind we've not even played a quarter yet...

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby JSM on Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:52 pm

looks like Payton is doing a lot better, he already has 7 points
JSM

Postby JSM on Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:54 pm

our defense still needs work. We have let Melo get 9 points, and Lenard has 8 points...if we want to win this one we got to stop those 2
JSM

Postby BDG on Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:56 pm

Image 25
Image 26

1:00 1st Quarter

Yeah, I was just going to say Gary Payton is MUCH more agressive tonight. 5/7 for 11 points in the first quarter so far.

We're playing IMPROVED defense but it's still not where we want it to be.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby JSM on Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:57 pm

Payton has picked up his D, because he has only allowed Miller 2 points on 1-5 shooting
JSM

Postby BDG on Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:58 pm

Image 27
Image 31

End 1st Quarter

Gary Payton beats the buzzer of the 1st quarter and he has 13 first quarter points. Great game for him so far.

BDG
Retired Admin

Next

Return to Lakers Game Tonight