Wednesday, Feb. 18
7:30 pm
TV: KCAL, NBALP
Radio: KLAC-AM 570/KWKW-AM 1330
Recap | Box Score | Photos | Highlights

Lakers - 100
Warriors - 99

Lakers Survive Warriors in Win
With time winding down, Shaquille O'Neal blocked Nick Van Exel's potential game-winner to seal a 100-99 Laker victory at Golden State on Wednesday. Kobe Bryant poured in 35 points while O'Neal doubled up with 31 and 16 boards. Up next for Los Angeles is a Friday matchup with Philly.

Post your comments here...
Last edited by Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:21 pm

This is one of those games that scare me a little bit - back 2 back night. I expect them to win though. The Warriors have no answers for Shaq.
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby lakerchris2004 on Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:26 pm

We always have a rough time @ Golden State, but hopefully we can take this one, especially since they are struggling right now.
"Throw it down son!!!"- Bill Walton
lakerchris2004

Postby JSM on Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:29 pm

I don't know, Shaq has yet to have a good game against Dampier this whole season, but I expect this to change tomorrow. Shaq still has the momentum, remember that. Plus, Kobe and Shaq are playing great together right now.

I think Fisher, George, Rush, Luke, and Grant will play a lot more against the Warriors; since Kobe and Shaq played so much tonight, Phil will want to give them at least a little break.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:44 pm

Plus, Kobe and Shaq are playing great together right now.

Very good point. I think those two, and the bench play are the keys to success for tommorow. It's going to be a tough one, but like I said, Shaq is playing like a MVP right now. He's unstoppable. I think he's ready to pound Dampier tommorow.
LD2k.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby lakerzrule on Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:22 pm

My mind says this should be an easy game, but my heart says no. Golden State always seems to have LA's number up in Oakland, and remember the Warriors beat the T-Wolves at home also. Let's hope things are different this time and we get a win, it's even more important at this point in the season.
lakerzrule

Postby noxcel on Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:13 am

its a must win for LA, Golden State is not the team that should beat lakers.
go LA :jam2:
noxcel

Postby DNP on Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:47 am

my prediction is lakers will probably lose this one unless gp can handle speedy claxton. lakers always have a tough time up there. well, go lakers anyways.
DNP

Postby SMUnderground on Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:14 pm

i think it'll be pretty close one..really really close..unless..shaq charge up or something.
SMUnderground

Postby JSM on Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:08 pm

I should have my player matchups up by 9:30 (EST)
JSM

Postby SMUnderground on Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:25 pm

jsm0331 wrote:I should have my player matchups up by 9:30 (EST)

which means 6:30 pt..oh crap..i hav eto leave at like..6..but oh well.
SMUnderground

Postby PrimeTime on Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:42 pm

Can someone say HL fest? (HL is Highlight for those of you that didn't know)
I can' wait fro it! Will anyone post the ESPN Motion of this in the ESPN Motion Thread? Mods why isn't that thread a sticky? It is great!

~Out, Prime
PrimeTime

Postby LakersPride on Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:43 pm

This one, i can honestly say i dont know whats gonna happen!!!!!!!!!!

LAKERS REBUILDING PROCESS, TOO LONG FOR MY TASTE!!!
LakersPride

Postby Andrew Evenstar on Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:13 pm

I can NOT WAIT FOR THIS game. my GF came over last night and didn't really get to watch the game.

LETS GO LAKESHOW!
[The Will To Act] | [My Music Blog]

Born a Laker fan.
Andrew Evenstar

Postby rydjorker121 on Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:18 pm

I predicted a loss in the Good Call section for a good reason: first of all, I don't know whether our team got caught up too much upon the all-star festivities, but they seem to show a lack of team effort, collaboration, zest and toughness out there on the court together...Portland was almost like a regroup and we had to narrow it out for a win..I don't know, in the midst of a back to back, we might be creamed by Golden State, a good offensive team, and our shooting might be erratic at times...all depends on Shaq's motivation, which I predict he won't have much of tonight...other players fend off his play and with Erick Dampier, whos been amazingly consistently playing well against us, Cliff Robinson's threes and Speedy Claxton's hard nosed toughness, we need to play--to stake out a win, which woefully I can't predict at this point of time.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby iWuVkObE8BrYaNT on Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:26 pm

why does FSN air some of the Clippers' road games, but not the Lakers'?

`Behind every great man is a great woman`

`It is not necessary to hope in order to undertake, or to succeed in order to perservere`
iWuVkObE8BrYaNT

Postby JSM on Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:44 pm

Warrior Injuries

first I would like to start off with some good news, I know good news and the Lakers...you don't hear that one too much. They Warriors might be extremely short handed tonight, especially against Shaq. They might only have 3 big men tonight, and one of them would be Popeye :man10: ... Take a look at there injuries:

Foyle-knee. He is listed as questionable, but the papers are saying if you think he will play tonight, then you are being very unrealistic.

Eschmeyer-knee. Out for the season.

Robinson-back spasms, a.k.a. the T-Mac disease. He is listed as questionable.

Murphy-ankle. He is out for up to a month.

Dunleavy-ankle. He is playing, but won't start unless his ankle is 100% tonight.

NVE-Hip. He is listed as questionable.
JSM

Postby JSM on Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:12 pm

Payton/Claxton: Claxton is one fast little guard, and if he isn't guarded then he can go on a scoring binge. Payton shouldn't have any problem against him though, Claxton is no better than Damon and Payton had a good game against the convict last night. Payton gets another opportunity to use his size to his advantage, he is much bigger than Claxton and has to take it to the hoop, because Claxton can't stop Payton when he goes inside. Payton can also get up in Speedy's face and prevent him from getting any good looks at the basket. I think this matchup overwhelmingly favors us. Also, their backup, Avery is way too old to still play, this will be a free ride for us when he is in the game. Fisher and Payton will go on streaks by themself against poor OLD Johnson. I also expect Fisher to play a lot tonight, since he will be rested, since he didn't play a whole lot last night.

Kobe/J-Rich: J-Rich is one of the best dunkers of all time, but that won't get him very far against Kobe and the Lakers. Kobe is better at every aspect of the game, and we will notice that tonight. Kobe will score on him, much like he did Anderson, last night. J-Rich will probably get 20+ points tonight, be Kobe will surpass that, easily. Kobe will take advantage of his superior knowledge of the game and shoot some easy jumpers against this #23 and I imagine Kobe will take it to the whole on him a few times, too. Richardson lacks the shooting touch that Kobe has, so if we can make him force jump shot, and not allow him to get to the basket, he won't be very effective for the Warriors. Expect a fun matchup tonight, between these two guys. A lot of Kobe and Shaq give and goes tonight, both are playing great together right now, Kobe should get 10 assists again. Maybe tonight, he can get the triple double. I also anticipate Rush will see a lot more time than he did last night.

Fox/Cardinal: Fox's defense is slowly getting better, as each game goes by. This shouldn't be a very hard matchup for him...Cardinal should just fly the coup. I doubt Fox will give us much scoring, but I expect to see some of the same things like he did last night-passing, rebounding, and some defense. Cardinal has had some good games this year, but I don't think this will be one of them. George will also have a decent game against Cardinal, since George is a lot more athletic and stronger than Brian. Hopefully, George can come through for us, even though he isn't very good at doing that.

Slava/Popeye and Parks: If Slava doesn't go for a career high tonight, he should be traded....not really, but jut look at who he has guarding him-Big Ears and the white, poor man's version of Dennis Rodman. Popeye is so crappy and old, he hasn't had a good play since he played with the real #23. Parks is too busy deciding if he wants a new tattoo or not, to play any defense. This is Slava's dream...no defense and he won't have to play any either. These guys couldn't score if there was a gun to their heads. Slava should get at least 15 & 10, I don't care if Shaq is out there or not, if he doesn't get this, then I will be embarrassed for the Lakers and for Slava.

Shaq/Dampier and Parks: Dampier has killed us all year, well I expect for that to change tonight. Shaq's got momentum. He got his energy boost at the All Star game and it won't leave him till June. This is the Shaq we all love, the one that has fun out there, the one that goes out there dominates and acts like a big goofy kid. I think we may see some of the gorilla walk tonight. Shaq and Kobe have been playing together, and not just on the court at the same time, they have been looking for each other and getting each other the ball, and this is when the Lakers are at their best. Shaq will go nuts when Dampier sits, because it means either Popeye or Parks will have to play him, what could he ever want, more than this. These guys shouldn't even be around Shaq, much less guard him. Parks will foul out and Popeye will spain his ear. Shaq will posterize them all, Big Fella will have a big game.
JSM

Postby Andrew Evenstar on Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:12 pm

jsm0331 wrote:Warrior Injuries

first I would like to start off with some good news

awesome, we need good news! we need wins to start piling up and we need some momentum!

Born a Laker fan.
Andrew Evenstar

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:39 pm

Well this is definetly very good news, but I still don't want to under-estimate them. About 12 minutes untill tipoff!!!

I'm loving this late game tonight :man1:
LD2k.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Andrew Evenstar on Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:44 pm

can someone upload the clip of kobe saying he would LOCK DOWN ON D on James Worthy during LTV?

Born a Laker fan.
Andrew Evenstar

Postby JSM on Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:07 pm

Robinson is playing, but no Dunleavy, at least not in the starting line up
JSM

Postby JSM on Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:07 pm

Kobe got hit with a T
JSM

Postby wongy on Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:09 pm

:disagree: Already? Why?? what's the score? who's doin the play by play?? :man10:
"Stu" should be the man...
wongy

Postby JSM on Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:10 pm

I'll update yall with some plays, scores, and stats
JSM

Next

Return to Lakers Gameday