Wed. 11/09 @ Wolves - Results Inside - Postgame comments

Postby leftymo on Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:57 am

kwamejoke wrote:
SKKG wrote:The problem with Kobe is that he only knows one way to take over, and that's to shoot.

:man2: It's selfish play.

Very true. He's not Lebron James or Magic Johnson, he's the equivalent of MJ... and they take over games by shooting the ball.

But we've seen playmaker kobe in games as well. You know, where he sets everyone else up and they spend the entire game bricking shots b/c they are mostly scrubs!

It's a 2nd of a back to back, and the Lakers haven't been very successful at those since the Phil Jackson era, no matter who's on the team.

And if Smush scores a whopping ZERO points and its only a fatigued Kobe vs. the Wolves, then the Lakers are done.

A better game to assess will be this one with a weak philadelphia team, at home but on national tv. The Lakers are the superior team here, but being on the road and on national tv against two "named" players in Web & AI should be competitive at least. We'll see their true merit. Is Smush guarding AI in this one?

Interesting...
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up.
leftymo

Location: Scottsdale, AZ. 5 years later, married, 2 kids, 2 Laker Titles

Postby shakin on Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:44 pm

First off, I WENT TO THE GAME and was sitting very close.

The Lakers were VERY tired and ran out of gas. Kwame played very well for 3 quarters and ran out of gas, like everyone else. His defense was REALLY REALLY good. Phil Jackson even had confidence in his defense as he was subbing Kwame whenever KG got on the court. This was something to build on.

It's quite obvious Kwame has a load of potential and needs a little time, but more importantly, confidence and early touches.

If this game wasn't the second game in a back-to-back, they would have spanked the Wolves without a doubt. I just got done travelling in a similar situation and it KILLS your body. These games are VERY VERY hard to win.

Also keep in mind we have a very young team with lots of players that aren't used to getting this much playing time, so it was a difficult scenario.

Oh, and the refs were atrocious. Kobe was getting man-handled early and often.

Moral of this all is that it wasn't a bad game keeping everything into perspective. Please, please give Kwame time to mesh and get used to this team before we bash him. I was already for KG to come in and smash him, but Kwame looked great on defense and even had a couple of sweet moves on offense.
shakin

Postby shakin on Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:46 pm

One other thing to note.... Smush was NOT the taller man at point and that was difficult for him. A 6'7" Jaric was a tough matchup and I expect more against Philly. Smushie against smaller/normal PGs will be heavily in our favor.

One last note... the Wolves were VERY physical towards both Kobe and Smush and that didn't help when the whistles didn't go LAs way.
shakin

Postby nameant on Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:58 pm

shakin wrote:One other thing to note.... Smush was NOT the taller man at point and that was difficult for him. A 6'7" Jaric was a tough matchup and I expect more against Philly. Smushie against smaller/normal PGs will be heavily in our favor.

poor excuse. jaric hardly even played. hudson and carter were out there the majority of the minutes. i fully expect smush to bounce back, but the man had a bad game..no sense making excuses for him. when kobe has a bad game everyone jumps on him..they dont make excuses.
nameant

Postby shakin on Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:03 pm

fair enough. he definately had a bad game, but he seemed bothered from the get go with Jaric out there. this was the first game with a bigger guard out there and he needs to get used to it. parker also needs to get used to being banged around as more teams than just the wolves are going to do that, you're right.

didn't mean to make it sound like an excuse, but more of an observation. wolves were more physical with our guards and they didn't respond at all, flat out.
shakin

Postby Kobe#2 on Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:26 pm

Is it just my biased opinion, or is Kobe not getting calls his way so far this season? It seems to me that the refs are really letting teams get away with some stuff against Kobe. It bothering me cuz it's making Kobe shy away from attacking the baset. If Kobe got as many calls in his favro as AI??? He'd be averaging 42 ppg and Lakers would not have lost the game against the T-Wolves. I hope this changes.
Kobe#2

Postby shakin on Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:35 pm

Iverson's a joke. The guy runs in the lane and draws contact and flops and can't shoot a lick. He does play good defense, I'll give him that though.

If Kobe were getting those types of calls he'd be averaging 50 a game.
shakin

Postby Kobe#2 on Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:54 pm

Really though, Iverson is averaging 4 more attempts per game so far this season. Paul Pierce is averaging 6 more per game. Michael Redd is averaging 2 more, as is Dwyane Wade.

I just don't get how the world still hates Kobe. I want this biased NBA-against-Kobe thing to stop. It's not fair.
Kobe#2

Previous

Return to Lakers Gameday