Suns and Lakers.....Oh my

Forum rules
As you may have noticed, there are two new sub-forums in this forum -- Sourced Rumors and Trade and Signing Ideas.

All threads should go in one of these two places. And here is how you will determine where to post (this will also help you know where to look for particular threads):

All topics created in the Sourced Rumors forum should have a source (hence the name of the forum). State where you heard/saw the rumor and a link if applicable. Good sources would be an online article or a respectable blog by a member of the media. Radio reports or summaries from TV reports (ex. Bucher on ESPN News) are also accepted, but the staff will have a quicker trigger finger with regards to these two, especially if they are being posted by a member who's credibility is questionable or if no one else heard/saw the report. This is due to the fact that people often fabricate reports for various reasons. Only sources which directly mention the Lakers or a Lakers player should be reported in the Sourced Rumors sub-forum.

Trade and Signing Ideas: in short, this is where everything else goes. Suggestions of who the Lakers should sign or trade for. Reports of other teams' players being on the trade block. To differentiate these from general ideas/suggestions, please continue to use list the source in the title, just as we did with the sourced rumors prior to the creation of the sub-forum (ex. ESPN: Nuggets looking to move Melo). Such reports would not go in the Sourced Rumors forum because they do not directly relate to the Lakers and any discussion that the rumor would spawn would be speculation and trade suggestions. Any "inside" rumors from family, friends, or other sites should be posted in the Ideas forum. Once it is supported by a sourced member of the media, it will be moved to the Sourced Rumors forum.

If you are still uncertain of where to post your topic, post it in the parent forum, Lakers Trade Rumors, and it will be redirected by a staff member.

Suns and Lakers.....Oh my

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:26 pm

I was thinking about a trade that could happen without any of the core guys (Bynum, Pau and Kobe) getting traded and how to upgrade the spots around them and our problem areas.

Our problems our: Bench sucks, no PG, no backup to Kobe and our defense stinks.

Trade:
Odom / Artest / Blake / Brown (S&t)

for

Gortat / Dudley / Frye / Brooks (S&t)

Reasoning: The Suns do this because they get actual starters to pair with Nash (Odom, Artest) a backup PG in Steve Blake and a young PF on the cheap. The Lakers do this because Brooks instantly becomes our little fire cracker at PG we need, and Gortat, Dudley and Frye are top tier, IMO, bench players that can make a huge difference for us. Also, Frye and Dudley can stroke the 3.

Barnes can move full time behind and play behind Kobe at the 2.

I can see us getting Wilson Chandler, Butler, Battier, Crawford, Young or JR Smith for the MLE (See option two for alternative if we do not use the MLE for these guys.

The new lineup would be:

Brooks / Delonte / Fisher
Kobe / Barnes / Parker
Chandler / Dudley / Ebanks
Pau / Frye / Smith
Bynum / Gortat

I think we can get Anthony Parker and Delonte on the cheap for the Vets. Minimum.

We have the TPE and we could get creative and try to trade that for a scoring backup at the 2, which would be ideal, but I think this plan is doable.

Resign Joe Smith as well

Option number 2:

Do the trade without getting Chandler or a top SF free agent and use the TPE and MLE for other players.
Use the TPE to get Pietrus from the Suns, who are looking to deal him.
Split the MLE between two point guards, lets say Chalmers and Dragic. (Forget signing Delonte and S&t with Brown)

This lineup would look like...

Chalmers / Dragic / Fisher
Kobe / Pietrus / Parker
Barnes / Dudley / Ebanks
Pau / Frye / Smith
Bynum / Gortat

Option number 3:

Odom / Artest / Blake / Brown (S&t)

for

Dudley / Gortat / Frye / Brooks(S&t)

Get Pietrus for the TPE, Dragic with the MLE, Parker with Vet. Minimum

Brooks / Dragic / Fisher
Kobe / Pietrus / Parker
Barnes / Dudley / Ebanks
Pau / Frye / Smith
Bynum / Gortat
Last edited by Doc Brown on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Re: Suns and Lakers.....Oh my

Postby Phil XI on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:51 pm

Pretty sure Miami will match an offer of 1/2 mle to Chalmers. They QO'd him so they can match any offer and 2.7 or whatev is probably well within their range.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:37 pm

Phil XI wrote:Pretty sure Miami will match an offer of 1/2 mle to Chalmers. They QO'd him so they can match any offer and 2.7 or whatev is probably well within their range.

Oh I didn't see that, I was looking at the free agent list posted in the LD section and it said he was unrestricted, but that hasnt been updated since its been posted.

I think we could get by with Dragic and Fisher and picking up a point guard in the draft with this trade or....

With regards to the new CBA, potentially swap Shannon and Brooks in a S & T both ways wouldn't be bad either.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby captainhoop on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:58 pm

We dont need or want the contracts of Gortat or Frye. Plus no one will take Artest.
HUGE LOS ANGELES LAKERS FAN & BASKETBALL CARD COLLECTOR!
CLICK ON THE BANNER FOR MY TRADELIST.

captainhoop

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:35 pm

captainhoop wrote:We dont need or want the contracts of Gortat or Frye. Plus no one will take Artest.

Gortat is worth it IMO because if you compare him to the top PF / C in the league he is right up there in productivity and statistical numbers. He has basically the same contract as Artest and I feel that he can contribute more to the team than Artest would and he is the ultimate insurance for AB.

I will give you Frye's contract being a little steep, but he's making the same as Odom would just with two more years added on. He's not like Luke Walton where no other team would touch him, if he didnt produce some team would gladly take him, so the effects of his contract wouldn't be felt as bad because he can actually play and contribute and if he doesn't well you can trade him.

I think you are undervaluing Artest. Hypothetically in this trade scenario, LO could get us Gortat and Frye, while Artest and Blake would be getting us only Dudley. Pietrus is a TPE pickup and Brooks is a sign and trade for Brown. Hell I'm undervaluing Artest right now.

Here is how Gortat stacks up with the top PF / C, like I said above.

From this LG thread. http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=129880&start=600

2010-2011 Year End Totals:

DEFENSE:

Blocked Shot %:

#1. Bynum
#2. Howard
#2. Duncan
#3. Hibbert
#3. Okafor
#4. Mark Gasol
#5. Jefferson
#6. Stoudamire
#7. Noah
#7. Brooke Lopez
#8. Pau Gasol
#8. Gortat

#9. Tyson Chandler
#10. Nene
#11. Horford
#12. Greg Monroe (Detroit)

eFG% Allowed:
#1. Bynum
#2. Howard
#3. Jefferson
#4. Marc Gasol
#5. Gortat
#6. Duncan
#7. Pau Gasol
#7. Okafor
#8. Horford
#9. Hibbert
#10. Brook Lopez
#11. Noah
#12. Chandler
#13. Nene
#14. Stoudamire
#15. Monroe

PER 48 Allowed:
#1. Howard
#2. Bynum
#3. Marc Gasol
#4. Okafor
#5. Gortat
#6. Duncan
#7.Pau Gasol
#8. Jefferson
#9. Brooke Lopez
#10. Chandler
#11. Horford
#12. Hibbert
#13. Noah
#14. Stoudamire
#15. Monroe

PER 48 Differential:
#1. Howard
#2. Bynum
#3. Pau Gasol
#4. Duncan
#5. Horford
#6. Stoudamire
#7. Jefferson
#8. Gortat
#9. Marc Gasol
#10. Nene
#11. Okafor
#11. Chandler
#12. Lopez
#13. Noah
#14. Hibbert
#15. Monroe

Teams +/- Points Allowed When they are on the court: (Lower is better)

# 1 Chandler: -6.1
# 2 Bynum: -4.9
# 3 Duncan: -4.9
# 4 Horford: -0.6
# 5 Nene: -0.5
# 6 Noah: +6.5
# 7 Lopez: +2.7
# 8 Howard: +4.8
# 9 Jefferson: +10.7

OFFENSE:

eFG:
#1 Chandler
#2. Nen
#3. Howard
#4. Okafor
#5. Bynum
#6. Gortat
#7. Horford
#8. Monroe
#9. Marc Gasol
#10. Noah
#11. Stoudamire
#12. Pau Gasol
#13. Jefferson
#13. Duncan
#14. Brooke Lopez
#15. Hibbert

PER 48:
#1. Howard
#2. Pau Gasol
#2. Stoudamire
#3. Horford
#4. Duncan
#5. Bynum
#6. Nene
#7. Jefferson
#8. Chandler
#9. Noah
#10. B. Lopez
#11. Monroe
#12. Marc Gasol
#13. Okafor
#14. Hibbert

Points PER 48:
#1. Stoudamire
#2. Howard
#3. B. Lopez
#4. Jefferson
#5. Paul Gasol
#6. Nene
#7. Duncan
#8. Hibbert
#9. Gortat
#10. Horford
#11. Bynum
#12. Marc Gasol
#13. Chandler
#14. Noah
#15. Monroe
#16. Okafor

Assists PER 48:
#1. Horford
#2. Pau Gasol
#2. Duncan
#3. Marc Gasol
#4. Noah
#4. Stoudamire
#4. Hibbert
#5. Nene
#6. Jefferson
#7. Bynum
#7. Monroe
#8. B. Lopez
#9. Howard
#10. Gortat
#11. Okafor
#12. Chandler
[/quote]

The contracts are about the same money wise as Odom and Artest, just Frye has two extra years.
Doc Brown

Postby L4L on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:21 pm

Acquiring Aaron Brooks is really just trading one set of problems for another. Sure, he's athletic and can penetrate on occasion, but he needs a lot of touches and is one of the worst defenders I've seen in a while.
L4L
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:24 pm

L4L wrote:Acquiring Aaron Brooks is really just trading one set of problems for another. Sure, he's athletic and can penetrate on occasion, but he needs a lot of touches and is one of the worst defenders I've seen in a while.

The main reason I threw Brooks into trade was to get something in return for Shannon Brown. I'd rather we get something for him, rather than him leave and we get nothing. I also wanted to keep it between two teams so it wasnt some big crazy trade ordeal. I would still do the trade minus Brown and Brooks, but it still leaves one problem....

In all 3 of the options, the point guards differ in each one. I really dont know, what PG we could get for the MLE or the Vet.Min. so it was basically just look through the FA list and see who we could potentially have a shot at getting. I like Dragic because he knows the guys in the 2nd unit and has played with them, so I think that would be a good fit. Other than that, it would be up in the air as to who else we could get and for how much.
Doc Brown

Postby humanomaly on Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:17 pm

Sorry, but any trade that involves Odom, is a joke. He is the key to the team. His play, his demeanor. He plays multiple positions, some very well...how often do you check a box score and see that your bench player gave you a double-double of around 12 and 15???? The Lakers are playing with the Kobe clock over their head. Changing coaches to one no-one suspected was enough of a rocker for now. If Brown can get the Lakers to play defense and treat his players like men, not as PJ treated Gasol, then all will fall in line. Bynum will try to earn his respect with more consistent play. No more "Mind Games"...just nose to nose basketball, and the Lakers have experience and need to intersperse some youth in there. Pickups such as Ratliff and Theo were a waste. I would have rather kept M'Benga, and made him the big man backup for all three (Gasol, Odom and Bynum). Hopefully Shannon comes back, Goudelock can keep shooting bombs, or they can acquire a ring chaser before the season starts as custs are made.
humanomaly

Postby humanomaly on Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:27 pm

Regarding a free-agent shooting guard, Sasha is available. He made less than 6 mill last year, however he did pick up a nice "benefit" in his personal life, one who would probably enjoy seeing him return to Los Angeles. The triangle may have stifled him, he go off to a fair start with the nets. I think he is athletic enough to hold his own agains some of the bigger point guards, as Kobe is 6'6" and I would say is average in size, but under acknowledged in strength. Sasha in Browns system could possibly work.
humanomaly

Postby TLew77 on Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:30 pm

i like our team the way it is, even though I am open to a loppsided trade
TLew77

Postby Kobe0825 on Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:45 am

Here's what i have in mind..
Lakers must not trade ODOM and Gasol..
Lakers trade Andrew Bynum+Walton+Artest+Blake = Ty Lawson+Wilson Chandler+Chris Andersen+draft pick
Lakers trade Matt Barnes+Brown+Caracter = Javale Mcgee
Lakers sign Jason Capono or James Jones for SF; Rony Turiaf or Samuel Dalembert for back-up PF/C

Lakers new Line-up:
Fish (limited minutes)
Kobe
Chandler
Gasol
Mcgee

Bench:
Ty Lawson
Goudelock
Ebanks
Odom
Chris Andersen
Morris
Turiaf or Dalembert
Kapono or James Jones

Lakers get younger, more athletic, more defensive while still maintaining core of Kobe-Pau-Lamar..Lakers must also play their young players more..
Kobe0825

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:00 am

1. You just undersold Bynum big time.
2. You just undersold Javale McGee BIG time. There's very few teams in the league that could pry McGee away from Washington right now.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Return to Lakers Trade Rumors