Would you trade Bynum for Chris Paul in the off season?

Forum rules
As you may have noticed, there are two new sub-forums in this forum -- Sourced Rumors and Trade and Signing Ideas.

All threads should go in one of these two places. And here is how you will determine where to post (this will also help you know where to look for particular threads):

All topics created in the Sourced Rumors forum should have a source (hence the name of the forum). State where you heard/saw the rumor and a link if applicable. Good sources would be an online article or a respectable blog by a member of the media. Radio reports or summaries from TV reports (ex. Bucher on ESPN News) are also accepted, but the staff will have a quicker trigger finger with regards to these two, especially if they are being posted by a member who's credibility is questionable or if no one else heard/saw the report. This is due to the fact that people often fabricate reports for various reasons. Only sources which directly mention the Lakers or a Lakers player should be reported in the Sourced Rumors sub-forum.

Trade and Signing Ideas: in short, this is where everything else goes. Suggestions of who the Lakers should sign or trade for. Reports of other teams' players being on the trade block. To differentiate these from general ideas/suggestions, please continue to use list the source in the title, just as we did with the sourced rumors prior to the creation of the sub-forum (ex. ESPN: Nuggets looking to move Melo). Such reports would not go in the Sourced Rumors forum because they do not directly relate to the Lakers and any discussion that the rumor would spawn would be speculation and trade suggestions. Any "inside" rumors from family, friends, or other sites should be posted in the Ideas forum. Once it is supported by a sourced member of the media, it will be moved to the Sourced Rumors forum.

If you are still uncertain of where to post your topic, post it in the parent forum, Lakers Trade Rumors, and it will be redirected by a staff member.

Would you trade Bynum for Chris Paul in the off season?

Postby AIRBROWN on Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:38 pm

With the way Collison is playing for the Hornets, you think they would trade Paul for a big man? Maybe throw in puke and Sasha or Famar in the deal? How would Chris Paul do in the triangle offense, knowing he's is great in the open court. He might be a defensive liability on defense with big point guards and we would lose the length and size in the middle which is vital imo in the playoffs.
AIRBROWN

Re: Would you trade Bynum for Chris Paul in the off season?

Postby LAKEROC on Fri May 14, 2010 6:03 pm

I love our team.

Hopefully a sign and trade for a young defensive minded pass first point guard would be at the top of my list though

Shaq resigned at the veterans minimum for 2 years with team option on year 2 would also be a godsend
LAKEROC

Postby incendy on Sun May 16, 2010 6:52 am

He is a terrible fit for the triangle but I bet he would run a pretty lethal pick and roll with Pau. He isn't a good chemistry guy though.. I would rather not have him at this point in his career
incendy

Postby kobeownslebron on Mon May 17, 2010 3:27 pm

Pull the trigger, either him or Deron Williams.
kobeownslebron

Postby nameant on Mon May 17, 2010 3:42 pm

Haha...absolutely.
nameant

Postby therealdeal on Mon May 17, 2010 5:51 pm

Why not? Move Lamar back to starting lineup, use Fish off the bench, sign an athletic young big. Good times.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Fri May 28, 2010 12:54 pm

Would the Hornets do that?
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby TT24 on Fri May 28, 2010 1:07 pm

^ That's what I would like to know. They have Emeka for another 4 years right? Why would they do this? Plus we can get a cheaper PG from Free Agency. Come on people, we don't need an All-Stat at every position.
TT24

Postby kobeownslebron on Fri May 28, 2010 9:26 pm

revgen wrote:Would the Hornets do that?

Idk they are gonna have to move one of their 2 point guards either Paul or Collison because neither is gonna accept less playing time especially Collison after have such a good rookie year he's gonna want a starting job.
kobeownslebron

Postby thkthebest on Sat May 29, 2010 6:00 am

No unless they unload one of their large contracts.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby sm61893 on Sat May 29, 2010 10:28 pm

kobeownslebron wrote:

Idk they are gonna have to move one of their 2 point guards either Paul or Collison because neither is gonna accept less playing time especially Collison after have such a good rookie year he's gonna want a starting job.

Tell me you didn't have a straight face when you posted that. It's not Paul or Collison its Paul. CP3 is in the top 3 of PG in the NBA if not the best when healthy. I don't care what Collison did this yr no way they are thinking maybe we could trade Paul and just keep Collison.

As for would I trade Bynum for Paul. Yes. It's not even close but don't think its going to happen. You don't get a top 10-15 player for a center that is always hurt.
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE
sm61893

Postby TT24 on Sun May 30, 2010 7:19 am

kobeownslebron wrote:

The Hornets said they are not planning on trading either player, at least not anytime soon. Before you just trade a guy, you have to see if both players can play together. They barely got the chance so they will give it a try next season.

And once again, they have Emeka for another 4 years, why would they want Andrew?
TT24

Postby thkthebest on Sun May 30, 2010 2:15 pm

Well to answer your question, they would want Bynum because Emeka sucks. If they trade CP3, Emeka is gone as well since they would want to rebuild. Even if they don't trade Emeka, he's a natural 4 while Bynum is a natural 5.

sm61893 wrote:Tell me you didn't have a straight face when you posted that. It's not Paul or Collison its Paul. CP3 is in the top 3 of PG in the NBA if not the best when healthy. I don't care what Collison did this yr no way they are thinking maybe we could trade Paul and just keep Collison.

As for would I trade Bynum for Paul. Yes. It's not even close but don't think its going to happen. You don't get a top 10-15 player for a center that is always hurt.

I don't see why they wouldn't have thought of trading Paul. Even if he is better, he can net you something great in return, and that's why you think of all the possibilities. Collison is a good PG. Naturally, he's not as good as Paul, but you do not trade great players in their rookie contracts.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby sm61893 on Mon May 31, 2010 9:08 pm

thkthebest wrote:Well to answer your question, they would want Bynum because Emeka sucks. If they trade CP3, Emeka is gone as well since they would want to rebuild. Even if they don't trade Emeka, he's a natural 4 while Bynum is a natural 5.

sm61893 wrote:Tell me you didn't have a straight face when you posted that. It's not Paul or Collison its Paul. CP3 is in the top 3 of PG in the NBA if not the best when healthy. I don't care what Collison did this yr no way they are thinking maybe we could trade Paul and just keep Collison.

I don't see why they wouldn't have thought of trading Paul. Even if he is better, he can net you something great in return, and that's why you think of all the possibilities. Collison is a good PG. Naturally, he's not as good as Paul, but you do not trade great players in their rookie contracts.

They can get much better for Paul then Bynum!!!!
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE
sm61893

Postby thkthebest on Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:12 am

I don't see where I denied that.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby mgoble014 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:57 am

why would we trade our premier center one of the best big mans in the league now for a point guard in Paul. Don't get me wrong Paul is great and we prob need a point guard but, as the finals have showed us a big man is more important. This trade wouldn't be good. Bynum is still young, what 21 or 22 yrs old?, so thats also a huge upside to bynum.
mgoble014

Postby bystander on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:40 pm

If Phil leaves and Drew knees will be a factor next season, then yes.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:47 pm

^ Remember Paul is recovering from injuries too.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dj vitus on Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:48 am

Any time this question comes up, just flash back to when Big Baby went Moses Malone on us in the Finals. I still have faith that Bynum can remain relatively healthy in years to come.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:00 pm

You'd probably have to take on Okafur. Something like Bynum, Sasha, draft pick next season and maybe one more contract for Paul and Okafur. I'd do it. Paul is a top 5 player in the league. You make that trade.
Savory Griddles

Postby dj vitus on Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:09 pm

Okafor would be an ideal replacement. But both him and Paul eat up $25 million next season. We'd have to throw in Odom and a filler in order to match. I guess if we don't mind the luxury tax, a:

Paul
Kobe
Artest
Pau
Okafor

starting lineup would certainly be one helluva team. With no bench, of course. :man11:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby shoe on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:27 am

No, there is something called chemistry that I would not like to F with.

Too many stars that need the ball to be effective. I doubt it works out. There is such a thing as too much talent.
shoe

Postby dj vitus on Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:47 pm

I probably wouldn't do this trade (why mess with our system when we won back to back titles?) but considering Okafor's contract expires in 2014.. the same year as Kobe's and Gasol's, that's $65 million off the books. :man4: We'll be able to play the free agent market that off-season and then keep our core with bird rights.
dj vitus

Postby dj vitus on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:41 pm

Well, Phil is back :bow: , so I guess this trade is as good as dead.
dj vitus

Postby AIRBROWN on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:03 pm

dj vitus wrote:Well, Phil is back :bow: , so I guess this trade is as good as dead.

EXCUSE ME?
http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68279/20100721/report_paul_has_demanded_trade_to_knicks_magic_lakers/

Remember I brought up this trade MONTHS AGO
AIRBROWN

Next

Return to Lakers Trade Rumors