Gaffney gets an invite to training camp

Gaffney gets an invite to training camp

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:48 am

WGGB ABC40 News wrote:UMass' Tony Gaffney has been invited to the Los Angeles Lakers veterans training camp starting in October after impressing the team during the NBA Summer League. "I'm thrilled and honored to be considered for the Lakers' veterans camp," Gaffney said on Monday night from his home in Berkley, Mass. "To play on the same floor with Kobe Bryant and the defending world champions with a chance to make the roster is truly special. I couldn't be more thrilled and hungry."

In the Summer League, Gaffney played in four games, starting twice with the Lakers. He averaged 3.8 points and 2.8 rebounds in 16.0 minutes per game. He impressed the team with his hustle and hard-work ethic.

Gaffney had a breakout 2008-09 senior year at UMass as he was named the Atlantic 10 Defensive Player Of The Year. He was also named to the league's Second Team and All-Defensive Team. Gaffney was also named to College Insider.com's Defensive All-American team.

He ranked third in the NCAA in blocks (3.8) and 17th in rebounds (10.2). Led A-10 in blocks, second in rebounds, second in steals. Gaffney averaged a double-double 11.5 points and 10.2 rebounds in 33.9 minutes per game. 3.8 blocks and 2.03 steals per game. He became, the fifth player in NCAA since 1996-97 with 100 blocks and 50 steals in a season (115 and 61). Last: Duke's Shelden Williams in 2005-06.

He was named by ESPN's Fran Fraschilla as the 5th-best rebounder in the nation through the first half of the 2008-09 season. He became the sixth player with 100 blocks in a season in UMass history. Stands third in single-season with 115. Gafney became the first UMass player to averaged 10 rebounds per game since Mark Haymore (10.0) in 1978-79, highest average since Jim Town in 1976-77. He is also the first player since ark Haymore to averaged a double-double since Haymore (17.1 ppg and 10.0 rpg) in 1978-79.

His steals total of 61 ranked as fifth-most in a single-season. 307 rebounds ranked as ninth-most in a season in history. He had 12 double-doubles this season after none in his career (first 81 games) entering season. 20 games with 10 or more rebounds. He finished seventh in UMass career blocked shots with 174.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Gaffney gets an invite to training camp

Postby KB24 on Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:22 pm

thats surprising to me...I mean I know he is just camp fodder...but damn..couldn't they find any more talented dead weight??? his ceiling is under his feet. An undersized 25 year old PF.

Hard work is nice but you need some talent and some tools to go along with it. I work hard too, maybe the Lakers should consider me... :man11:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Helljumper on Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:49 pm

3 points and 3 rebounds in the summer league against scrubs? Impressive.
Helljumper

Postby eNlight on Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:37 pm

KB24@CL wrote:thats surprising to me...I mean I know he is just camp fodder...but damn..couldn't they find any more talented dead weight??? his ceiling is under his feet. An undersized 25 year old PF.

Hard work is nice but you need some talent and some tools to go along with it. I work hard too, maybe the Lakers should consider me... :man11:

in other words he's a scrub right? :man1: cause that signpippennow poster is gonna be all over this post like a big baby :man10:
eNlight

Postby Venti Quattro on Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:09 pm

Why not Sheldon Williams? At least eye-Candy Parker might show up to a preseason game or two.
March 21, 1999:

Los Angeles Lakers 115, Orlando Magic 104 FINAL/Overtime

Kobe Bryant - 38 Points, 4 Assists, 3 Rebounds, 2 Steals, 1 NEW FAN
Venti Quattro

Postby Helljumper on Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:20 pm

Venti Quattro wrote:Why not Sheldon Williams? At least eye-Candy Parker might show up to a preseason game or two.

What? :man3:

What does inviting Gaffney to training camp have to do with signing Williams?
Helljumper

Postby Venti Quattro on Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:26 pm

Helljumper wrote:
Venti Quattro wrote:Why not Sheldon Williams? At least eye-Candy Parker might show up to a preseason game or two.

What? :man3:

What does inviting Gaffney to training camp have to do with signing Williams?

My bad, should have quoted this...

KB24@CL wrote:thats surprising to me...I mean I know he is just camp fodder...but damn..couldn't they find any more talented dead weight???
March 21, 1999:

Los Angeles Lakers 115, Orlando Magic 104 FINAL/Overtime

Kobe Bryant - 38 Points, 4 Assists, 3 Rebounds, 2 Steals, 1 NEW FAN
Venti Quattro

Postby SignPippenNow on Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:56 pm

eNlight wrote:
KB24@CL wrote:thats surprising to me...I mean I know he is just camp fodder...but damn..couldn't they find any more talented dead weight??? his ceiling is under his feet. An undersized 25 year old PF.

in other words he's a scrub right? :man1: cause that signpippennow poster is gonna be all over this post like a big baby :man10:

Hey stud enlight, you played basketball you said and never got a camp invite to Lakers. If Tony is a scrub, what does that make you. Meet me sometime and let's discuss this face to face you scrub
SignPippenNow

Postby Greatest of All Time on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:16 pm

Greatest of All Time

Postby Enforcer on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:03 am

is that Michael Jackson eating popcorn?
Enforcer

Postby KB24 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:15 am

Enforcer wrote:is that Michael Jackson eating popcorn?

KB24
Site Admin

Postby eNlight on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:22 am

SignPippenNow wrote:
eNlight wrote:

Hey stud enlight, you played basketball you said and never got a camp invite to Lakers. If Tony is a scrub, what does that make you. Meet me sometime and let's discuss this face to face you scrub

heysignpippennow jsut as i thought you would acted, like a big baby :man1:
eNlight

Postby UncLaker on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:30 am

i LIKE how peeps read a stat Line and think he cant contribute.

Though Gaffney didn’t put up a terribly productive stat line today, he displayed some very interesting tools. Mostly known in college for his tremendous defensive presence and effort level, Gaffney wasn’t asked to do much scoring for UMass, making the most of the touches he earned coming from his hustle and ability to run the floor. While he has played well defensively in both of the games he’s played in, he showed some offensive promise that his collegiate role didn’t give him the opportunity to showcase. Looking beyond the box score, we came away intrigued with what we saw today.

A very athletic forward with a slender frame, Gaffney exploited his excellent quickness on a couple of occasions today, beating his defender off the dribble on three memorable occasions. Not usually prone to putting the ball on the floor, his ability to get to the rim was quite impressive. Once in the lane, Gaffney used quick fakes to get his man off balance before spinning over his left shoulder for hook shots. Considering his length and quickness, it is safe to say that Gaffney has a lot of potential if he continues to diversify his offensive game.

On the defensive end, Gaffney has shown great versatility, looking capable when defending the post and the perimeter. Though he will need to continue to add weight to his frame to be a better interior defender moving forward, he shows the timing, awareness, and effort level to be very effective in this setting. He may not be an NBA player, but he’s clearly helped himself here.

I hope he makes waves!
UNC Lakers

Mitch Kupchak,Bob McAdoo, James Worthy, Rick Fox, Sam Perkins,
JR Reid, Shammond Williams,George Lynch, Charlie Scott,
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_North_Carolina_players_went_to_the_NBA_dont_forget_Brandon_Wright

"that guy has the best NO PASS look in the game today"
"If ya dont practice Defense, You cant practice winning"

"Antawn Jamison in Purple and Gold please"
UncLaker

Postby UncLaker on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:46 am

UNC Lakers

Mitch Kupchak,Bob McAdoo, James Worthy, Rick Fox, Sam Perkins,
JR Reid, Shammond Williams,George Lynch, Charlie Scott,
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_North_Carolina_players_went_to_the_NBA_dont_forget_Brandon_Wright

"that guy has the best NO PASS look in the game today"
"If ya dont practice Defense, You cant practice winning"

"Antawn Jamison in Purple and Gold please"
UncLaker

Postby karacha on Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:04 am

Repeat.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby GNC on Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:56 am

sheldon williams will probably end up here for pennies cause of his superstar wifey. :man11:

why couldn't kobe tap that and they would have had a megastar basketball player :man12:
GNC

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:21 am

Definitely not ready for the NBA, but his timing and long arms are still valuable. I would say that he is a solid prospect ( meaning that he has a chance to make the team if he makes massive strides).
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Whatthef? on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:38 pm

How many guys to the Lakers take to training camp?
Any chance they still sign Shelden Williams?
Whatthef?

Postby KB24 on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:43 pm

Lamar signing the K must have been terrible news for him.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby VincentTH on Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:34 pm

Whatthef? wrote:How many guys to the Lakers take to training camp?
Any chance they still sign Shelden Williams?

Shelden WIlliams already signed with the Celtics?
VincentTH

Postby Jellybean on Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:04 am

I really don't like the music in that one video for some reason. Seems like a Chris birdman type though.
Yeth, I'm thexy. :)
Jellybean

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13