Jelani McCoy could be added next to Lakers frontcourt?

Jelani McCoy could be added next to Lakers frontcourt?

Postby Mastermixer on Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:47 am

The Lakers may not be done adding players to their frontcourt. Free agent center Jelani McCoy is currently working out at the team’s facility with the coaching staff, Andrew Bynum, Chris Mihm and Josh Powell, agent Giovanni Funiciello told HoopsHype.com.

“We are waiting on some other clubs that have shown interest in Jelani,” Funiciello said. “We shall see our next move. He has lucrative offers overseas, but we have looked more towards the NBA… Not to say if something very interesting comes our way we wouldn’t entertain it.”

McCoy, who was a member of the last Laker championship team back in 2002, averaged 0.5 ppg and 0.8 bpg last season in six games with the Denver Nuggets.

http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/sierra/2008/09/16/another-big-for-the-lakers/
Lakers Fan Since 1993
Mastermixer

Postby KB24 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:38 am

oh please...

mincemeat....complete garbage...I don't get it...why don't we just invite Dunston?

:freak2:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby vic5150 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:29 am

Again......seriously? Can we get Mark Eaton to come out of retirement next?
Black Dynamite: "I'm declaring war on anyone who sells drugs in the community!"
Chocolate Giddy-Up: "But Black Dynamite, I sell drugs in the community!"
vic5150

Postby Larry14r on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:31 am

This is a clear warning to Mbenga if he doesn't resign with us.
Larry14r

Postby The Greatest on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:22 am

Jelani went to my high school he's from San Diego. Its sad he could never really get a decent nba career. I just find it funny that he probably has a ring and guys like Charles Barkley don't. hahahaha
The Greatest

Postby Fulzgold on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:23 am

i wonder what's the hold-up with Mbenga? muh-benga as Michael Thompson says..
Larry Spriggs --> Mike Smrek --> Mike Penberthy--> DJ Mbenga
Fulzgold

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:31 am

Fulzgold wrote:i wonder what's the hold-up with Mbenga? muh-benga as Michael Thompson says..

i agree there seems to be something we don't know about with his situation. He's a big body, we need a big body, why haven't we signed him yet? I understand his desire for more playing time, but he has a good opportunity to win a championship with this team. Why hesitate?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby DNP on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:44 am

wow, his agent seems confident that other teams will look at him. should the laker sign him for the max now?!?!?

give us a break.

DNP

Postby SignPippenNow on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:19 pm

The thing about Mbenga wanting more minutes is when has he ever gotten more minutes? He didn't play much at Dallas or Golden State and he is career role, backup center and nothing more. He will get about as many minutes with Lakers as anyone else. Heck Miami chose Magloire over him. I wonder if LA is offering Mbenga a guaranteed contract because if they are I don't know what else he could want because he has never gotten many minutes.
SignPippenNow

Postby rydjorker121 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:22 pm

Jelani McCoy has been the quintessial journeyman end-of-bench type player throughout the NBA, but the reason he keeps getting called back to the NBA, despite his ever-advancing age (currently 31), is because he's always had very solid athleticism/mobility for a big man, and he's a solid rebounder/shotblocker sort of guy who doesn't mind doing the dirty work. He really seems to be making a real push back into the NBA--looking at his #'s with our sister team the LA D-Fenders, he showed some sparks of skill that he seemed to have lacked back when he was a 24 year old with us; in 30.3 mpg, he averaged 11.2 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 3.3 apg, 2.1 bpg on top of 2.0 fouls per game. Scale those to NBA #'s and taking into account the vastly greater competition, it's safe to say that he's not a scorer in the NBA (despite shooting 69% from the field), he's probably a slightly above average rebounder and he's a very solid shotblocker; two surprising attributes there is that he seems to have reigned in his foul problems (2 fouls in 30+ mpg is very solid for a big man in any league; he averaged 2 fouls per game alone in 14 mpg throughout his NBA career) and he seems to show surprisingly good passing ability (3.3 apg--although as evidenced with his 2.6 tpg, he's probably forcing the issue being a vet in the youth's league--getting more touches).

Thumbnail sketch of how his game is like today: probably still the same guy--will score the garbage baskets, get a few rebounds, block a few shots, but with less foul trouble and perhaps slightly better passing ability. An improvement from where he was seven years with us, but at the end, still a scrub--at his age, he is what he is, and seems to be a forever fringe player in the NBA who will only be called upon for backup big insurance. Frankly, I'm more in favor of the young guys, because McCoy--we know what he is and he can only do so much in the NBA--and because I'm more enamored with Giles' potential and/or with Mbenga's current contributions.

EDIT: I took the liberty of finding Elton Brown's NBDL stats prior to his joining us for the SPL/training camp last year in 2007, and in 32.6 mpg he put up 18.4 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 2.1 apg, 0.5 spg, and 0.3 bpg; obviously Jelani shows much better all-around stats, but considering that Elton's game is predicated on scoring and rebounding, and considering the fact that he couldn't even cut our team, that really shows how much of a far shot Jelani has of making our team (being a worse rebounder and far worse scorer, although better passer/shotblocker than Brrown).
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby Fulzgold on Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:01 pm

I think we should give Mbenga a guaranteed contract. Hes a project but he's one hell of an athlete. Maybe he's just dumb as dirt or something we can't tell from afar. Or maybe Phil doesnt like his post D.

Jelani is alright but is kinda skinny to play the pivot in the league. He is a great shotblocker though for his size (i think he's like 6'10").
Larry Spriggs --> Mike Smrek --> Mike Penberthy--> DJ Mbenga
Fulzgold

Postby LakRfAn on Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:06 pm

Kwame would beat Jelani 11-0 in a one-on-one game
LakRfAn
Resident Hoops Junkie

Postby Venomenon on Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:11 pm

Please tell me that this is a joke.

Please.
Venomenon

Postby reincarnatingDABULLS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:35 am

I'd rather take a chance on CJ Giles and Brandon Heath rather than signing McCoy or Mbenga.

Bynum/Miles
Gasol/Odom
Radman/Ariza/Yue
Kobe/Sasha
Fisher/Farmar/Heath

IR
Mihm/Powell/Walton
reincarnatingDABULLS

Postby dvdrdiscs on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:42 am

Fulzgold wrote:I think we should give Mbenga a guaranteed contract. Hes a project but he's one hell of an athlete. Maybe he's just dumb as dirt or something we can't tell from afar. Or maybe Phil doesnt like his post D.

Jelani is alright but is kinda skinny to play the pivot in the league. He is a great shotblocker though for his size (i think he's like 6'10").

Saying Mbenga is a project is a knock at all the real projects in the league. The man is an orcish backup center. That's what he has done through his career and that is what he is, which is what we need.
dvdrdiscs

Postby Lakeshow24 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:26 am

After all these years I'm still waiting for one NBA season that UCLA Jelani McCoy to come out. The paint dominating, block every shot the next 22 possessions on defense Jelani to come out. With the cursing and the angry face and all. Long shot, but can I enjoy my "what if?" moment? :mhihi:
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Re: Jelani McCoy could be added next to Lakers frontcourt?

Postby BDG on Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:09 pm

Looks like that guy reported it for the wrong LA team:

Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13