Jordan Farmar Scrimmage News

Jordan Farmar Scrimmage News

Postby kb the assassin on Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:47 am

.Farmar in scrimmage action
Can't put too much stock in anything that is happening in these late-practice scrimmages the past few days of training camp, but that's all there is for anyone, including the Lakers assistant coaches, to evaluate how guys are meshing all the instructions with live-game situations.

An early standout has been rookie Jordan Farmar, who has made a few mistakes, but has a knack for the game that is undeniable. Already, his speed and athleticism have surprised veterans he has faced. He has read very well when to give the ball up early on a fast break to a finisher and has been active with pressure defense and fast hands (he stole an entry pass thrown by his man today when his impressive leaping ability came in handy).

It is obvious Farmar is trying hard to pester and stay in front of his man on defense in these scrimmages. If he can, he has a chance for playing time (depending partly on how well Shammond Williams and Sasha Vujacic do it, too). If he can't, his game action will come with the Los Angeles D-Fenders of the D-League.

On the for-sure bright side, while Danilo Pinnock and Marcus Douthit remain on the roster through training camp, Farmar has some temporary help with the drudgery that is rookie-hazing duty (i.e. picking up the towels and Gatorades and balls after practice). And that's definitely something for Farmar to enjoy these days
kb the assassin

Postby TalkieWalkie on Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:14 am

Jordan is a baller...I don't expect him to be sent down...or if he is...I wouldn't expect him to stay down there long...and he will play this season...
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
TalkieWalkie

Postby trodgers on Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:53 am

Awesome news. Thanks, man.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby revgen on Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:54 am

TalkieWalkie wrote:Jordan is a baller...I don't expect him to be sent down...or if he is...I wouldn't expect him to stay down there long...and he will play this season...

IMHO, Jordan is too good for the NBDL. He's ready to be taught by NBA coaches.

However, If he doesn't get Smush's job or Sasha's backup position, I'd like him to go to the NBDL just so he doesn't get rusty on the pine.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby KB24 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:56 am

k0pr0phage wrote:Awesome news. Thanks, man.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Barnstable on Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:30 pm

He is our PG of the future. Simple as that :jam2:
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Godfather on Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:35 pm

I hope he doesn't get sent to the D-League. I'd like to see him play.
Godfather

Postby jOeyB7000 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:57 pm

Godfather wrote:I hope he doesn't get sent to the D-League. I'd like to see him play.

Ditto. I have one question though. If players sent down to the D-league still count towards the 15-man roster, wouldn't it make sense not to send Farmar down there and instead let him just ride the pine in the big leagues? I say this because I think it would benefit him more if he gets to play against NBA level players instead of scrubs even if it's just during practice.
jOeyB7000

Postby ladam24 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:57 pm

k0pr0phage wrote:Awesome news. Thanks, man.
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Postby kb the assassin on Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:07 pm

just cant wait till thursday to see farmar and the rest of the lakers play
kb the assassin

Postby NormNix on Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:00 am

The NBDL talk is really a non issue. 15 active roster slots. they'll fill them all. look at the numbers. Even if Mckie wasn't cut, he's still on the team. Just do the math
NormNix

Postby Podium on Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:43 am

If he gets sent to the NBDL, as I understand it, he still counts as part of the 15. The "benefit" of him playing in the NBDL rather than riding the pine all year in the NBA, is that he would get playing time, albeit against far lesser competition, and he would be learning the triangle in live game action.
Podium
Clublakers Analyst

Postby jOeyB7000 on Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:55 am

The Podium wrote:If he gets sent to the NBDL, as I understand it, he still counts as part of the 15. The "benefit" of him playing in the NBDL rather than riding the pine all year in the NBA, is that he would get playing time, albeit against far lesser competition, and he would be learning the triangle in live game action.

so it comes down to learning the triandgle in live game action versus players like Douthit, Chenowith, Tierre Brown, or learning in practice versus the likes of Lamar Odom, Mo Evans, Kobe Bryant, Luke and being coached by PJ and sometimes Tex... I don't know man but I'll have to go with option number 2.
jOeyB7000

Postby wavy on Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:45 pm

i have huge expectations from this guy. i really hope he will make the team and i relaly hope he will get playing time even though it's hard to say knowingnthat phil doesen't give minutes to the rookies.
wavy

Postby trodgers on Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:49 pm

jOeyB7000 wrote:
The Podium wrote:If he gets sent to the NBDL, as I understand it, he still counts as part of the 15. The "benefit" of him playing in the NBDL rather than riding the pine all year in the NBA, is that he would get playing time, albeit against far lesser competition, and he would be learning the triangle in live game action.

so it comes down to learning the triandgle in live game action versus players like Douthit, Chenowith, Tierre Brown, or learning in practice versus the likes of Lamar Odom, Mo Evans, Kobe Bryant, Luke and being coached by PJ and sometimes Tex... I don't know man but I'll have to go with option number 2.
Practice isn't the way to learn the triangle. You need to see it in game situations.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby JSM on Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:51 pm

As ready as he might appear in practice, I still think he needs to spend some significant time with the d-fenders, early in the season would be the most important time for this. If he's given a shot as backup PG, I would expect it to be till the mid-way point in the season.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13