Lakers Media Day 2009 Thread

Re: Lakers Media Day 2009 Thread

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:09 pm

jjin28 wrote:^^ the last picture with kobe, phil, artest, gasol.

my goodness. our team is so freaking crazy. bringing tears to my eyes looking at that picture compared to when it was

smush, kobe, kwame.

And two players not shown (Bynum/Odom) would start TOGETHER on most teams in the league.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby JSM on Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:24 pm

ramonashelburne: BTW, Lakers fwd Pau Gasol did take a vacation. He said he was able to get away to Ibiza for 10 days in July.
about 1 hour ago from web

ramonashelburne: Lamar Odom generally ducked all wedding Qs. He is contractually prohibited from discussing it for 3 months b/c of deal with E!
about 1 hour ago from web
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:26 pm

JSM

Postby JSM on Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:29 pm

Elliott Teaford of the LA Daily News Blog wrote:The Lakers held their annual Media day, which as ever resulted in precious little in the way of actual news. Lots of talk about Lamar Odom's wedding. Plenty of talk about winning a second straight title, too. Kobe Bryant had some good things to say about getting back to work and staying focused on chasing another ring. So did Derek Fisher. Sasha Vujacic got a haircut. So did Pau Gasol. Jordan Farmar got a new number.

Bryant had this to say about the offseason and preparing for a title defense: "It was peaceful, got a lot of time to relax, a lot of downtime, just resting and recuperating. We understand. We worked really hard to get to this point. It took us a lot of time to get here, so this is something we don't want to give up because of our inability to move forward or not take the season seriously. If somebody's going to take it from us, we want them to take it from us with us being 100 percent focused and locked in. It was a different feeling. It was something we worked hard for from the bottom. The previous teams I was on that won, we had a lot of talent. We were always a favorite, every single year. This team, we grew up together. There weren't any distractions last year or the year before. Everything will be smooth."

Fisher on defending the title: "The bull's eye becomes bigger after you become champions. So there's more scrutiny with the ups and downs of the season. I think about last year and it seemed, like, can we really complete the mission we set out to accomplish? Even winning 65 regular-season games,, there are so many ups and downs and good stories and bad stories, and there will be much more of that this year. We plan on being better than we were a year ago."

Vujacic on getting a haircut: "I decided to do it. I studied some DVDs from during the year .. I was playing with my hair too much. It was a big distraction to me. I just did it and I was, like, what the hell? After I played basketball, I felt really good. It's not in my eyes anymore and I don't have that compulsive thing, so I'm happy. Like a week ago, six days, last Thursday. I did it, yeah. I did it. When I cut my hair I didn't have a beard, so I looked like I was even younger. I looked like Benjamin Button. I looked like a teenager."

Farmar on changing to No. 1 this season after wearing No. 5: "It's just the number I grew up wearing. I wore it in high school and won a championship. I got to wear it in my McDonald's All-American game. I came to UCLA and my freshman year somebody had it, so I had to change it. I ended up changing it back my sophomore year and then a few people had it when I got here. When I got here, Smush (Parker) was No. 1, then Javaris (Crittenden) had it. You have to have your jersey three years when you get in the NBA because of all the rules and stuff like that. I just had to wait my turn to get it. Now I've waited my turn and I'm ready to have some fun."
JSM

Postby JSM on Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:30 pm

Broderick Turner of the LA Times Blog wrote:This summer, for the first time in a while, Kobe Bryant rested.
He didn't have a commitment to play for USA Basketball or to play in the Olympics.

So Bryant took time off. He traveled to China and other parts of Asia.

He took his family to Paris.

"I was perfectly healthy," Bryant said at the Lakers' media day Tuesday. "All I did was get healthier. It's been a long time."

Bryan, a notorious workaholic, said he stayed away from basketball for about "about a good month and a half to two months."

The Lakers played into June for the second consecutive year. It made for a long seaon for Bryant, who played in the Olympics last summer then led the Lakers to the NBA championship in June.

"My legs feel rejuvenated," Bryant said. "I feel like I'm in great shape. Nothing is nagging me, outside of the hand and fingers, stuff like that."
JSM

Postby JSM on Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:33 pm

JSM

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:36 pm

Lakersman JSJ, I love your new avatar :man10:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Vincey on Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:36 pm

I want to see his legs from 2008. Last year it was painfully apparent he didn't have those springs from the previous MVP year, understandably.

Nothing like those game changing dunks.. those moments are the best i.e. his reverse double pump dunk against the Hornets in 2008 with the pop the jersey to top it off.
Vincey

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:37 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:Lakersman JSJ, I love your new avatar :man10:

:jam2:

It's amazing how much a picture can say, huh? :man10:
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby JSM on Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:51 pm

JSM

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:05 pm

Kobe Media day Interview:
http://cbs2.com/video/?id=115326@kcbs.dayport.com

-the part where Kobe mentions that he and Ron have already started talking a little trash and that it will make practice a lot more enjoyable and it's fun. I like hearing this and I hope we see a little of this on NBATV Real Training Camp with the Lakers this Thursday
Battle Tested20

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:07 pm

Lakerman JSJ wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:Lakersman JSJ, I love your new avatar :man10:

:jam2:

It's amazing how much a picture can say, huh? :man10:

Knowing Ron Ron I bet they didn't even have to ask him to put the Dodger's hat on, he probably saw it and said this is what I am wearing on hte Photo shoot haha.
Battle Tested20

Postby JSM on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:08 pm

Broderick Turner of the LA Times wrote:"There's also a good place for change in terms of a new hunger and enthusiasm and passion for winning that maybe sometimes after guys have won, it becomes more difficult to push yourself beyond your comfort zone," Derek Fisher said. "I think that's where Ron is going to be the biggest asset for us is that I don't think there will be a day this season where he will allow other people to take a day off because they've already won a championship before. That's why he's here."

The Lakers may also face something of a circus atmosphere this season after Lakers forward Lamar Odom married reality TV star Khloe Kardashian Sunday.

"We understand the challenge of winning another [title]," Bryant said. "We have a chance here. We have the talent to win another one. If we don't, it's because of our lack of focus, or something else, or an injury here or there. That's something that we want to try and avoid and try to defend our title."

Bynum said he plans on wearing a brace on his right knee and may wear one on his left knee as well this season as a precaution.

The young center, who begins the first year of a contract that will pay him $12.5 million this season, has a goal of making the All-Star team this season.

"And I definitely think it's very, very in front of me," Bynum said. "I definitely can accomplish that."

Love what Fish had to say about the addition of Ron. Completely agree.
JSM

Postby JSM on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:09 pm

LO on why he chose to get married now:

http://a.espncdn.com/espnradiostations/ ... 090929.mp3
JSM

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:16 pm

JSM wrote:Video of Trudell talking to Drew:

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/09mediad ... bynum.html

I liked Drew's interview, he really sounds like a more mature man and really seems to know what is important for himself and the team to be successful early this year.
Battle Tested20

Postby JSM on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:27 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:Kobe Media day Interview:
http://cbs2.com/video/?id=115326@kcbs.dayport.com

Great to hear the comments about practice with him and Ron competing and trash talking. Reminiscent of the old practices in Chicago. It can only make them better and keep them sharp.

A little surprised that Kobe said he still talks to Ariza daily.
JSM

Postby JSM on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:35 pm

Ramona Shelburne of the LA Daily News Blog wrote:I went to media day today expecting the circus to be in town, with TMZ trucks and paparazzi hiding in the bushes outside of the Lakers training facility in El Segundo. While there were a few, shall we say, non-traditional media outlets asking some of the guys what kind of food was served at Lamar's wedding, it was a mostly calm day. Calm by Lakers standards that is.

Two years ago, there was real drama as everyone waited to see if Kobe Bryant --who had blown a gasket over the summer --would actually show up to training camp.

Last season, there was all the talk about avenging the loss to the Celtics.

You know, real basketball issues. Now that the Lakers won the title, and things on the court are pretty well set, there really wasn't much angst in the room.

I was joking with Luke Walton about it, who is always a good guy to joke with about stuff like that, and he was like, ``I mean, I can start something if you want. Who do you want me to call out? Josh Powell. Man, I can't stand Josh. He's so selfish. I hate Josh. Is that good?

``Nah, but seriously, this is what makes our team so fun. We all get along, we have a great time and we're looking forward to do it again.''

But Luke, what about all of us scribes bored with the Laker love-fest?

``We'll figure something out,'' he joked. ``We'll talk about it in the locker room and figure something real good out. By the end of training camp, we'll have something good for you guys.
JSM

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:35 pm

Ron Artest Interview:
http://cbs2.com/video/?id=115321@kcbs.dayport.com

I really do believe everything that he says as far as the team comes first and that he just wants to fit in. I know some people look at his past and thinks that he is just saying these good things but it won't translate into anything. It's going to be an advanturous year for sure and I think it will all work out.
Battle Tested20

Postby JSM on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:35 pm

ramonashelburne: Zing! Artest on risk of adding him: ``I think there's a risk making a commitment to anybody. You can ask anybody that's gotten married''
half a minute ago from web
JSM

Postby JSM on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:39 pm

JSM

Postby HisAirness24 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:43 pm

Haha the new TC additions look lost. Artest looking solid, everyone looks ready. :jam2:
HisAirness24
CL Sim League Manager

Postby HisAirness24 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:50 pm

Hey JSM, where are you finding these photos?
HisAirness24
CL Sim League Manager

Postby BDG on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:58 pm

Best swingman combo in the league right here:
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby JSM on Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:05 pm

HisAirness24 wrote:Hey JSM, where are you finding these photos?

over at Yahoo.
JSM

Postby JSM on Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:06 pm

JSM

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13