10/10 Lakers Report: AKA lakers hate fresno AKA phil is back

10/10 Lakers Report: AKA lakers hate fresno AKA phil is back

Postby 10scott10 on Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:15 pm

Monday report

The Lakers love going to Fresno so much that they're flying up the day of the game instead of the night before as they normally would. They're going straight from the airport to the Save Mart Center for shootaround, then will turn around and fly home immediately afterward.

They played an exhibition game in Fresno two Octobers ago and had a miserable experience staying in a hotel not even fit for a high school team. One Lakers staffer found empty beer bottles littering her room, another staffer had no clean towels in his.

for the more important stuff see here
http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2006/10/monday_report.html
like this
EL SEGUNDO--Only six days after undergoing hip-replacement surgery, Lakers coach Phil Jackson wasted no time in asserting himself as he sat through practice Monday.

While assistant coach Kurt Rambis wondered if the Lakers were ready to take on learning a new element of the triangle offense, Jackson `` shoved it right down their throats,’’ as Rambis put it.

Jackson stopped by the Lakers’ scrimmage Sunday night and returned for more than three-quarters of Monday’s practice. He is still walking with a cane and has to regain his stamina before returning to the job full-time.
10scott10

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:26 pm

Check out the link you guys. Some good stuff in there. Thx 10scott10

This was pretty funny:

Lakers spokesman John Black was dismayed to see Jackson using a hospital-issued aluminum cane with a rubber handle on his visit.

``A man of Phil’s stature deserves a better cane,’’ Black said, suggesting a wooden model preferably whittled somewhere in Montana.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby 10scott10 on Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:27 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Check out the link you guys. Some good stuff in there. Thx 10scott10

This was pretty funny:

Lakers spokesman John Black was dismayed to see Jackson using a hospital-issued aluminum cane with a rubber handle on his visit.

``A man of Phil’s stature deserves a better cane,’’ Black said, suggesting a wooden model preferably whittled somewhere in Montana.

agreed.
cant phil make a cane out of his championship rings
10scott10

Postby revgen on Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:37 pm

LA Times Story detailing more about Phil's visit to TC.

Jackson Shows Up at Camp
He accepts handshakes but concentrates on coaching instead of talking about hip-replacement surgery.
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
5:57 PM PDT, October 9, 2006

Phil Jackson stopped by Lakers practice Monday morning, accepted handshakes from his players, and launched right into a lecture on an element of the triangle offense — with discussions of feel-good reunions and successful hip-replacement surgery left for another time.

Jackson was more than a passive participant in returning to a part-time role less than a week after last Tuesday's procedure. He is still up to three weeks from returning full-time and will not join the team tonight in Fresno for its first exhibition game against Utah, but he sat in on the coaches' meeting and then watched more than two hours of Monday's practice.

He also watched Sunday night's two-hour scrimmage that was closed to the media.

"You can see that he's getting better and he's feeling better," assistant coach Kurt Rambis said. "He was sprier [Monday] and barking out commands to the guys. You can tell the itch is there and he's eager to get back.

"One of the elements of the offense that I've been holding on to because I didn't feel like the team was ready for it, he shoved it right down their throats this morning, so he got them going on that part of the offense."

Said forward Lamar Odom: "He's our leader. I just want to see him well. That's first. Captain Kurt has done a great job. It's a learning week. We have so many people to learn from."

Jackson, who is walking with the assistance of a cane, did not stick around to talk to the media.

"That just shows you his thought processes are very clear, too," Rambis said jokingly.

Jackson said last week that he hoped Kobe Bryant would be back in a week or two. There's one more week before it gets to that point.

Rambis suggested he wasn't a magical healer when asked if Bryant and Chris Mihm would return soon.

"The last miracle I performed was getting my wife to marry me," Rambis said. "Kobe's been out going through dry runs with no defense or anything like and he looks good, but when he's coming back, I have no idea."

It's not great news for Lakers fans, but it's not necessarily a bad thing for the rest of the team.

"We'll turn that into a positive instead of a negative, that other guys will learn to run the offense without Kobe," Rambis said. "So many times last year in ballgames, guys would throw Kobe the ball and then they would stop going through with their cuts and they'd just stand around and watch him."

Said Odom: "Kobe's so good that you can't help, especially when it's your first time playing with him, to pass him the ball and move out of his way."

With Mihm still recovering from off-season ankle surgery, Andrew Bynum is expected to get more playing time in the exhibition season.

There have been some subtle improvements in his game, but he is still only 18 years old.

"He even showed some things in scrimmage [Monday]," Rambis said. "He used his left hand on a move and that was something that we've all been begging him to do. He used his left hand for the first time in practice and he's been here for a year already, so that lets you know how slow the process is. He's done some good things in practice and he's just got to continue to develop them.

"We would love for him to go out there and play great and get as much time as possible. That would be good for him and good for us, but realistically he's probably going to fail more than he's going to succeed when he gets playing time out there."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lak ... ome-sports
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby flexxdzl on Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:20 pm

revgen wrote:LA Times Story detailing more about Phil's visit to TC.

Jackson Shows Up at Camp
He accepts handshakes but concentrates on coaching instead of talking about hip-replacement surgery.
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
5:57 PM PDT, October 9, 2006

Phil Jackson stopped by Lakers practice Monday morning, accepted handshakes from his players, and launched right into a lecture on an element of the triangle offense — with discussions of feel-good reunions and successful hip-replacement surgery left for another time.

Jackson was more than a passive participant in returning to a part-time role less than a week after last Tuesday's procedure. He is still up to three weeks from returning full-time and will not join the team tonight in Fresno for its first exhibition game against Utah, but he sat in on the coaches' meeting and then watched more than two hours of Monday's practice.

He also watched Sunday night's two-hour scrimmage that was closed to the media.

"You can see that he's getting better and he's feeling better," assistant coach Kurt Rambis said. "He was sprier [Monday] and barking out commands to the guys. You can tell the itch is there and he's eager to get back.

"One of the elements of the offense that I've been holding on to because I didn't feel like the team was ready for it, he shoved it right down their throats this morning, so he got them going on that part of the offense."

Said forward Lamar Odom: "He's our leader. I just want to see him well. That's first. Captain Kurt has done a great job. It's a learning week. We have so many people to learn from."

Jackson, who is walking with the assistance of a cane, did not stick around to talk to the media.

"That just shows you his thought processes are very clear, too," Rambis said jokingly.

Jackson said last week that he hoped Kobe Bryant would be back in a week or two. There's one more week before it gets to that point.

Rambis suggested he wasn't a magical healer when asked if Bryant and Chris Mihm would return soon.

"The last miracle I performed was getting my wife to marry me," Rambis said. "Kobe's been out going through dry runs with no defense or anything like and he looks good, but when he's coming back, I have no idea."

It's not great news for Lakers fans, but it's not necessarily a bad thing for the rest of the team.

"We'll turn that into a positive instead of a negative, that other guys will learn to run the offense without Kobe," Rambis said. "So many times last year in ballgames, guys would throw Kobe the ball and then they would stop going through with their cuts and they'd just stand around and watch him."

Said Odom: "Kobe's so good that you can't help, especially when it's your first time playing with him, to pass him the ball and move out of his way."

With Mihm still recovering from off-season ankle surgery, Andrew Bynum is expected to get more playing time in the exhibition season.

There have been some subtle improvements in his game, but he is still only 18 years old.

"He even showed some things in scrimmage [Monday]," Rambis said. "He used his left hand on a move and that was something that we've all been begging him to do. He used his left hand for the first time in practice and he's been here for a year already, so that lets you know how slow the process is. He's done some good things in practice and he's just got to continue to develop them.

"We would love for him to go out there and play great and get as much time as possible. That would be good for him and good for us, but realistically he's probably going to fail more than he's going to succeed when he gets playing time out there."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lak ... ome-sports

That's a boy kurt...keep building they young guys confidence :disagree:
flexxdzl

Postby KiDLaK3R on Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:35 pm

Phil is a warrior no one predicted he would've come to practice before we even played a pre-season game, like i said the dude is a Zen Master hes gonna surprise you more then its gonna surprise him.
LaKeR FaNaTiC!

This is our year 2006-2007
KiDLaK3R

Postby silver0187 on Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:00 pm

Bynum's process is slow? That's disappointed to hear.
silver0187

Postby rayboi8 on Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:30 pm

silver0187 wrote:Bynum's process is slow? That's disappointed to hear.

i think rambis means the whole concept of making a young project like bynum into a decent player is a very slow process. As for Bynum, i would say hes on track, if not doing better than expected. Hes still only 18.
rayboi8

Postby ladam24 on Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:40 pm

Good news, for the most part. Thanks man.
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Postby jbiggs on Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:42 pm

IM PUMPED. GO KWAME (WAS HE EVEN IN THIS ARTICLE HAHA)

wow all caps. oh well
KOBE FOR LIFE
jbiggs
ClubCavs.com Administrator

Location: Born in South Torrance (So Cal) and currently in Point Loma

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:54 pm

The Return of Socks

Kevin Ding of The Orange County Register wrote:Andrew Bynum's debut season as the NBA's youngest player ever drafted included, if you can recall, his acknowledgement that his teammates had nicknamed him "Socks" because he would forget his shower sandals and bathe himself while wearing socks. On the practice court, it was similarly backward, Kurt Rambis revealed Monday: Bynum went the whole season without taking a single shot left-handed despite countless opportunities from super-close range and coaches imploring him to use his left hand.

"So that lets you know how slow the process is," Rambis said of developing Bynum, who has added muscle over the summer and shaved his head for a tougher look.

Bynum will get extensive playing time in the exhibition season with Chris Mihm sidelined. If you ever see Bynum make a move, turn into his right shoulder and find himself open near the rim ... and he actually flips the ball up left-handed in an exhibition game, then we'll all have to stop and reconsider how soon he might blossom into the stellar player he will be.

For those watching the preseason games, look for that left hand from Socks.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby mrand on Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:30 am

thank you guys. :bow:
comes playoff time... comes laker time....
mrand
Contributing Member

Postby abeer3 on Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:42 am

i'm a little concerned about bynum. he seems like a slow learner. not that i expected him to be a real contributor this year, but i'm shocked that he doesn't have a good enough left hand to feel confident putting up chip shots in scrimmages. that's scary.
abeer3

Postby Freakout on Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:17 am

abeer3 wrote:i'm a little concerned about bynum. he seems like a slow learner. not that i expected him to be a real contributor this year, but i'm shocked that he doesn't have a good enough left hand to feel confident putting up chip shots in scrimmages. that's scary.

No its not. Hell to this very day Lamar Odom isn't comfortable shooting with his right hand. Chris Mihm rarely ever uses his left hand. There are a lot of players in the league that never use their off hand.
Freakout

Postby 21_Blessings on Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:35 am

abeer3 wrote:i'm a little concerned about bynum. he seems like a slow learner. not that i expected him to be a real contributor this year, but i'm shocked that he doesn't have a good enough left hand to feel confident putting up chip shots in scrimmages. that's scary.

Just stop. He is only 18

Oh and here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8qPZ6M7i0E kinda sorta a left hand layup.
21_Blessings

Postby revgen on Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:01 am

Centers take a long time to develop.

Keep in mind that Bynum is 18. Most NBA players don't reach their peak until they are 26-28. So we're talking about 10 years before we see Bynum in his prime. It may be 3-4 years before he makes any serious contribution.

Heck, it's taken Kwame 6 years before he's made any serious contributions to a basketball team, and he still has a lot to learn. I'm pretty confident Bynum won't take that long to contribute since he has way better coaching and a much better attitude from the beginning.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby abeer3 on Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:44 am

jump on me all you want, but i haven't heard an encouraging word out of anyone from within the lakers regarding bynum except: he's gotten bigger and he works hard.

there just seems to be an underlying tone of disappointment, imo.

again, i understand that he's a project, but if he's going to be the player many want him to be, he should be progressing faster. big men take longer, but the very good ones are obvious early, especially to those who work closely with him.

i've been waiting to hear something positive about his ability to pick up the offense, or improved footwork, or improved shooting, etc. but i'm just not hearing it these days. maybe the organization is purposefully trying to temper enthusiasm. if that's the aim, they're doing a good job with me.
abeer3

Postby revgen on Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:01 am

abeer3 wrote:jump on me all you want, but i haven't heard an encouraging word out of anyone from within the lakers regarding bynum except: he's gotten bigger and he works hard.

On the contrary, the SPL coaching staff said he improved his play considerably since the last SPL. They said he was more comfortable and more aggressive than last year. His numbers from this year and last year seem to indicate that.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby abeer3 on Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:43 pm

revgen wrote:
abeer3 wrote:jump on me all you want, but i haven't heard an encouraging word out of anyone from within the lakers regarding bynum except: he's gotten bigger and he works hard.

On the contrary, the SPL coaching staff said he improved his play considerably since the last SPL. They said he was more comfortable and more aggressive than last year. His numbers from this year and last year seem to indicate that.

i meant since camp opened. hey, i hope bynum gets it quick, and i like some of what i've seen from him. it just doesn't seem like the organization is as excited about him as some of the fan base, simply based on what they say. of course, actions speak louder than words, and in terms of actions, they have supposedly refused to include him in numerous deals.
abeer3

Postby JSM on Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:14 pm

Phil needs a pimp cane.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13