10/4 Lakers Report: Defense...Defense...Defense

Postby CDRacingZX6R on Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:05 pm

Only got one name:

Jim Cleamons.

Can't say they will be an elite defensive team this year, but with Jim working on the defense they should at least be able to complete rotations most of the time.
CDRacingZX6R

Postby abeer3 on Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:05 pm

Sky wrote:GZA - Long overdue and a great move, I'm pumped that if they're not willing to acquire defense at least they're finally willing to coach it.

The rotations will improve with better communication and more coaching emphasis. But keep in mind that rotations also require a defensive iq that Kwame and Odom lack. Need to read and anticipate defensively and that's not a strength of either starting big. But any improvement is welcome and necessary.

kwame shows a lack of fundamental knowledge of team defensive principles. odom does not suffer from this problem, imo. he plays good team d, rotates to the proper spots and on time. he has trouble defending the elton brands of the world, but other than that, he's a solid defender. larry brown said as much after coaching him in the olympics, i believe.
abeer3

Postby JSM on Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:33 pm

At least they recognize the problem and are doing what they can to work on it (even if Mitch won't help).

I was hoping to see more defensive additions to the team this summer. But the only additions the Lakers gained in that department is: Evans, Turiaf (he'll be around for an entire season this time), and Pinnock seems to have some defensive potential (assuming McKie is cut).
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Previous

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13