10/5 Lakers Report: Farmar to DLeague, 3-1 meltdown, Rad's D

10/5 Lakers Report: Farmar to DLeague, 3-1 meltdown, Rad's D

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:16 am

The Los Angeles Times wrote:Jordan Farmar was enmeshed in the fall quarter at UCLA a year ago, taking in Bruins football games and preparing for a basketball season that eventually ended in the NCAA championship game.

He's now starting over, in a big way, leaving the comforts of Westwood after his sophomore season and becoming the 26th player taken in the NBA draft, property of the Lakers.

UCLA still tugs at him — he stopped by campus recently — but his present-day status almost leaves him in awe.

"I still have friends that are there," Farmar said. "I do miss it at times, but I wouldn't trade this for anything in the world. I can't even put into words how good it feels to be here. It's good to have someone like Kobe [Bryant] watching, and when you do something right and wrong, give you advice on how to improve. It makes it a great situation."

Farmar, 19, has demonstrated decent knowledge of the triangle offense and has shown some fire defensively, but he joins a crowded backcourt and could be a candidate for the Development League. He is the least experienced of the Lakers guards, falling in line behind Bryant, Smush Parker, Maurice Evans, Sasha Vujacic, Aaron McKie and Shammond Williams.

"It's certainly possible," General Manager Mitch Kupchak said. "Training camp will give us a gauge. He had a good summer. He did work on his body so he's stronger. It looks like he's held his own [so far], but the D-League is there for a reason. It's going to depend on training camp, the health of our players and coach's decision."

Players in their first two seasons can be assigned to the Development League up to three times a season. If Farmar were assigned to the Los Angeles D-Fenders — the Lakers' Development League team — he would continue to be paid his NBA salary and would still be considered part of the Lakers' 15-man roster.

He'd rather not talk about it, understandably.

"I haven't thought of it," Farmar said. "I'm sure they're going to want to do what's best for their organization and for me as well. If they feel that I can get experience down there … it's not the end of the world. I would love to be on the court with these guys, that's definitely what my goal is, but I'm professional now and I have to act like one."

The Lakers' other teenager, Andrew Bynum, packed on some muscle during the off-season and said he is now 7 feet 1. Now he needs to work on court awareness and expanding his moves in the post.

"You can just look at Andrew and see that he's improved his body," assistant coach Kurt Rambis said. "He still has a long way to go in terms of the knowledge he has to have in order to have success out there on the floor. He has made strides, he has made improvements. It's nice to see that he's getting more control over his body. He was puppy-like last year. He's starting to tighten things up a little bit."

Bynum, who will be 19 this month, averaged 1.6 points and 1.7 rebounds in only 7.3 minutes last season.

"I'm going to go out there and prove I should get some more minutes," he said. "That's what training camp is for."

Parker did not practice Wednesday and is day-to-day with a sore right shoulder after colliding with Brian Cook while chasing a loose ball…. Wednesday's practice consisted mainly of walk-through after walk-through on offense, so many that Rambis couldn't guarantee that a recovering Phil Jackson would watch it from start to finish on the practice tape. "I can't imagine that he would go through that and be able to enjoy it … or stay awake," Rambis said.

Also, flexxx has reported more news coming from Wednesday's Training Camp (Day 2) and that can be found here.
Last edited by Vasashi17 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby strategos on Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:32 am

Good read, thanks for sharing :jam2:
strategos

Postby ladam24 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:48 am

I hope he's atleast on the sidelines this year, i'd hate to see him go to the D-League.
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Postby KB24 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:26 am

lets hope he works hard and can overtake Sasha and Shamu during the seaosn-

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby flexxdzl on Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:47 am

KB8@CL wrote:lets hope he works hard and can overtake Sasha and Shamu during the seaosn-

Shammrock shouldn't even have been signed..but anywho...I truly think we need to make a trade to clear up the Glut.

Farmar,Williams,Parker,Green,Pinnok,Wafer,sasha

Whoooo...I think a trade is better than just cuting players...also i don't want Farmar ruined ..so i do hope he displays a better shooting touch and defensive mean streak..because Every body else tha's listed can shoot..sasha can shoot the daylights out
flexxdzl

Postby gill on Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:04 am

Send McKie to the D-League! I want to see this kid play!!!
gill

Postby hZm on Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am

Same was said about Andrew last season.
hZm

Postby Weezy on Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:06 am

hZm wrote:Same was said about Andrew last season.

AND Sasha.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby 2Pacalypse on Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:07 am

Weezy wrote:
hZm wrote:Same was said about Andrew last season.

AND Sasha.

What about Wafer?
2Pacalypse
<b><font color="red">Random Thread King

Postby Weezy on Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:26 am

Well Wafer actually was sent to the D League while the other 2 that were said to be candidates did not.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:37 am

A couple of late additions to the report:

Smush Learns from Playoff Collapse
The Orange County Register wrote:Smush Parker came to the Lakers a year ago more curious for his name than his game.

He wound up being the only Laker to start all 82 regular-season games, even though he spent part of the previous season in the NBA Development League.

Parker's breakthrough season didn't end well, with Phoenix's two-time MVP Steve Nash dominating him after Parker had predicted a Lakers series victory. Parker shot 33.3 percent in the playoffs, including 4 for 26 (15.4 percent) from three-point range, with just 1.6 assists per game.

Asked about such a sour taste at the end of something so sweet, Parker on Wednesday called it a "learning experience."

"We're going to be a better team this year because of it," Parker said. "And I'm going to be a better player because of my experience last year."

Parker, 25, followed through on Coach Phil Jackson's request to work on his in-between game over the summer after succeeding mostly on drives and three-pointers last season. Parker relayed his plans for this season: "Play hard on defense and try to be a better floor leader to my teammates."

The Lakers would like to see Parker be better able to organize the triangle offense this season, enabling Lamar Odom to dive into the post position more often. But if Parker goes cold at inopportune times again, the Lakers believe they have a new, largely anonymous guard who will contribute: Shammond Williams.

Although Williams is 6-foot-1 to Parker's 6-4, Sasha Vujacic's 6-7 and Aaron McKie's 6-5, the Lakers expect Williams to be a dependable shooter who can also defend smaller guards. Jackson cited Williams and primary free-agent signee Vladimir Radmanovic on Monday when talking about improving the team's shooting.

Williams, 31, comes to the Lakers after playing the 2004-05 season in the Russian Superleague and last season in the Euroleague. But he is not an accomplished offensive organizer.

Parker sprained his right shoulder diving for a ball in the Lakers' opening practice Tuesday and didn't play Wednesday. But in a demonstration of his increased stature on the team this season, Parker was allowed to serve alongside the Lakers coaches as referees for practice-ending scrimmages.

The 'D' in Vlade
The Riverside Press-Enterprise wrote:Oh, it was an insult, all right, one that Lakers assistant coach Kurt Rambis threw out at Vladimir Radmanovic and one the 6-foot-10 forward took in stride.

Defense has been the big theme during the first two days of Lakers training camp, and Radmanovic took the bait.

Radmanovic is not known for his defensive prowess, but he has been getting down in his defensive stance, talking on defense, helping on defense, trying to be a better defender than he ever has been.

After Tuesday's practice, Rambis told Radmanovic he "showed me a lot more on the defensive end than I expected out of him."

Rambis, who is running Lakers practices while head coach Phil Jackson recovers from right hip replacement surgery, gathered his thoughts for a moment, looked at Radmanovic and said, "I guess that's kind of an insult, huh?"

"It was a positive insult," Radmanovic said.

"You can tell that his mind-set is to play offense," Rambis said, "but he also understands that he's got a responsibility on the defensive end."

The reality is that the Lakers signed Radmanovic to a five-year, $31 million contract in July because he can stretch the defense with his ability to consistently knock down three-point shots.

Radmanovic made 39 percent of his three-pointers last season. He was acquired by the Clippers in February for his outside shooting, and he didn't disappoint, making 46.3 percent of his three-pointers during the playoffs. He has shot 38.1 percent from three-point range over his five-year career.

Radmanovic did say he understands the Lakers' defensive principles because they are similar to the ones he learned during his first four-plus seasons in Seattle.

"I'm pretty much familiar with that kind of defense," Radmanovic said. "I think I can help a lot."

He's still learning the triangle offense, but he rebuffed the notion that it takes a player an entire season to learn it.

"I'll try to pick it up earlier," Radmanovic said. "It's going to be too late at the end of the season. It doesn't seem too complicated to me. Maybe it is. I just don't realize it yet. So far, it's been pretty good for me. There are some adjustments I have to do. Just get rid of old habits and put all this new stuff into my brain and start working it that way."

===============================================

None of the Lakers have forgotten they had a 3-1 lead over the Phoenix Suns in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs. They lost the series and became just the eighth team in NBA history to lose a series after such a lead.

"(We were) a rebound, a defensive rotation away from advancing and playing teams that we thought the matchup went in our favor," Lamar Odom said. "I guess we looked past the first round a little bit when we were up 3-1. That was the youth thing, so everybody matured a little bit and, hopefully, we'll learn how to kick them when they are down."
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Re: 10/5 Lakers Report: Farmar to DLeague, 3-1 meltdown, Rad

Postby shaq_hater on Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:10 pm

"I'm sure they're going to want to do what's best for THEIR organization and for me as well."

WHY DID JORDAN USED "THEIR?"

HE SHOULD'VE USED "OUR" INSTEAD OF "THEIR."
MY GUY IS AWESOME BECAUSE HE HAS 5 RINGS.
shaq_hater

Re: 10/5 Lakers Report: Farmar to DLeague, 3-1 meltdown, Rad

Postby KB24 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:48 am

shaq_hater wrote:
"I'm sure they're going to want to do what's best for THEIR organization and for me as well."

WHY DID JORDAN USED "THEIR?"

HE SHOULD'VE USED "OUR" INSTEAD OF "THEIR."

he is a rookie man. he will make this mistakes. not a big deal tho

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby JSM on Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:20 pm

I still stand by my statement that Mr. Farmar needs to take a trip for the D League for at least part of the season. He will be able to learn more quicker than he would from just sitting on the bench. Don't get me wrong, sitting and observing can be a valuable teaching tool for a rookie. I'm sure Phil will have him do that for a good portion of the season. But at some point, you can't learn a lot more from gaining a splinter in your behind. You need on the court experience. And since there is a good chance you won't be able to get on the court with several guards ahead of him in the rotation, he will need to play for the D-Fenders to gain some in game experience.

As far as Vlad's new found defensive abilities. I'll believe it when I see it. I'm far from sold on his D being anything better than average. I'd like to see Phil put him against Marion on opening night, that will be a good test.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby brandnew on Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:17 am

Radmanovic did say he understands the Lakers' defensive principles because they are similar to the ones he learned during his first four-plus seasons in Seattle.

Say WHAT?!
ESPN has Andrew Bynum Insider.

[URL=http://www.treasuretrooper.com/32645]Image
[/url]
brandnew

Postby trodgers on Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:23 am

brandnew wrote:

Say WHAT?!
defensive
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13