10/7 Lakers Report: Foul play, LO's vocal, Rons Camp, McCut?

10/7 Lakers Report: Foul play, LO's vocal, Rons Camp, McCut?

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:24 pm

UPDATE: Keep an eye out for each blog entry that continues to come in during the day and into tomorrow. They are pretty good reads.

Ross Siler at the LA Daily News is definitely doing a great job getting us a Lakers Report of training camp on the day of. So once again, here is an early entry for tomorrow's Lakers Report which features topics that were discussed on Friday (Day 4 of training camp).

Make sure to check back tomorrow for any updates made.

The Los Angeles Daily News wrote:After undergoing open heart surgery in July 2005, forward Ronny Turiaf attended the first part of training camp last October in Honolulu. He was around the team, but not quite on it, and returned to Spokane, Wash., to continue his comeback.

Turiaf made it back to the NBA only four months later and played in 23 games for the Lakers. Now he is happily taking part in his first full camp - - calling it a ``dream for me’’ - - and trying to win a spot in the rotation.

“I definitely feel part of this team, feel part of what we’re trying to accomplish here,’’ Turiaf said. ``I’m trying to have some fun and play hard, play tough defense, and hopefully when I’m on the court, the offense runs smoothly.’’

The Lakers have put the emphasis on defense, which plays to Turiaf’s strengths. He said he wanted to be a communicator on the floor as well as an ``enforcer,’’ setting screens, boxing out and doing the dirty work not in the box score.

``I know for a fact my teammates will appreciate the work that I do,’’ Turiaf said.

He played this summer for the French national team, which took fifth at the world championships in Japan. It was another step in coming back from a surgery that once was feared could end his career.

``I regained my confidence in myself,’’ Turiaf said. ``Everybody was kind of doubting me as far as me making the team and all that stuff. They thought, `Ronny Turiaf hasn’t played many games this year, we don’t know what he can do.’ So I went out there with a chip on my shoulder to show them that I could do it.’’

================================================

While the Lakers scrimmaged at the end of practice Friday, Aaron McKie sat on a giant inflatable ball on the sidelines, a sore back leaving him watching instead of playing once again.

There is no doubt that the Lakers benefit from the presence and professionalism of McKie, who is entering his 13th season and turned 34 on Monday. The issue is whether McKie is healthy enough to make a contribution on the court.

He played in only 14 games in his first season with the Lakers, suffering a torn left quadriceps tendon that wasn’t fully healed until this summer. McKie has a guaranteed contract for this season paying him $2.5 million.

Assistant Kurt Rambis was asked whether McKie - - the oldest player on the roster - - was a known commodity to the coaching staff given how many games he missed last season.

``We have a lot of faith in his leadership capabilities,’’ Rambis said. ``He did a great job when he wasn’t playing or when he was dealing with injuries last year in working with the younger guys and showing them how to be professional and how to train and how to keep working hard. He was fantastic in those areas.

``In terms of playing out there on the court, he shows all those good instincts that good defensive players have. He understands this offense. Now it’s just physically whether or not he’ll be able to keep up with everything that’s going on and compete for a spot.’’

McKie was signed to a two-year, $5 million contract in August 2005 after he was waived in a luxury-tax saving move by Philadelphia, which still owes him more than $12.5 million through the 2007-08 season.

The Lakers originally hoped that McKie would be their finisher, on the court for critical late-game situations. But he averaged only 8.6 minutes in the games he played and had only three baskets all season.

Not good seeing Aaron McKie on the sidelines Friday. This season is the last opportunity for the Lakers to get anything in return on their $12 million investment in Vlade Divac and McKie. Divac never was able to recover from a back injury and retired before last season. So far, Divac and McKie have combined to play 251 minutes, the equivalent of 5.2 games. They were both high-mileage players the Lakers used either all or part of their midlevel exception on and suffered hard-luck injuries. They're also the reason that Mitch Kupchak opted to spend this summer on Vladimir Radmanovic, who is under contract from age 26 to 30.

McKie is considered day to day.
Last edited by Vasashi17 on Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:32 am, edited 7 times in total.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby flexxdzl on Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:45 pm

Still New Kid on This Block

Broderick Turner
10:00 PM PDT on Thursday, October 5, 2006

EL SEGUNDO - When Von Wafer drove to the basket and had his shot rejected by Andrew Bynum, Kwame Brown yelled, "Yeah 'Drew, get that (shot)!"
If Bynum is to find a steady role with the Lakers this season, defense likely will be his ticket.
Bynum won't turn 19 until Oct. 27, and his body still is developing, but he has grown an inch to 7-foot-1 and has the long arms to be a good shot-blocker.
"I'm playing defense a lot better, which I think surprised a lot of people," Bynum said after practice Thursday. "My offense, I'm working on that, but I'm just focused on playing defense and getting rebounds, and I'm doing that pretty well."
Bynum didn't play much last year as a rookie, but that could all change early this season.
Chris Mihm had right ankle surgery in July, hasn't been able to practice and has no timetable for his return. That could leave Bynum backing up Brown at center.
"I knew Chris had his surgery in late summer, so I prepared for the back-up center role," Bynum said.
Kobe Bryant walked past Bynum, grabbed his biceps and joked, "Look at that boy. He's eating all my pancakes. He's getting bigger."
Actually, 15 pounds bigger.
"I lost a lot of baby fat and then gained some muscle," Bynum said. "I feel stronger. My initial off-the-block, as far as getting up and down the court, is better from all the squats I was doing. I'm able to contest shots that I couldn't get to last year."
flexxdzl

Postby flexxdzl on Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:49 pm

!2 million buck for vlade and mckie...wasted..we did not even get second rounders for them.. :mad1:
flexxdzl

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:18 pm

We be bloggin'

More good stuff from Ross Siler

Ross Siler of The Los Angeles Daily News wrote:
After four days of training camp, things have gotten somewhat "testy,'' according to Lamar Odom. There's no time for individual play as the Lakers learn together on both ends of the floor. Odom described the process as being ``systematic.''

``Guys get a little testy,'' Odom said, ``especially the one time they get the ball, they get fouled.''

Assistant coach Kurt Rambis said the fouling has been a problem. The Lakers are prone to it right now in their scrimmages because they are still finding their way on defense. One central principle is that a teammate always will be there to back you up. It takes time to develop that trust and avoid reaching and holding instead.

The Lakers have talked about the need for better communication, and Odom seems to have taken it to heart. He called out every pick and every switch on defense when we watched the team scrimmage. Odom also was yelling ``solo'' when Kwame Brown had the chance to back down Mamadou N'Diaye and ``finish'' when Sasha Vujacic was leading the fast break and deciding what to do.

"It raises everybody's awareness,'' Odom said. ``We have to work on our IQ as a basketball team.''

Odom was encouraged to take a greater leadership role with Kobe Bryant sidelined during camp as he recovers from knee surgery.

Center Chris Mihm increased his interval running Friday as he continues to recover from ankle surgery. Mihm still is at least two weeks away from being able to practice. He said he wants to be ready to go on Oct. 31 and hoped to play in at least one exhibition game before the season opener.

What position he will play continues to be a subject of interest. Mihm has said that he likes playing center but could play power forward on the wing if the Lakers wanted to use Kwame Brown exclusively at center. Rambis said it would be ideal to have both big men be interchangeable at the two spots. However, Mihm and Brown both are better suited as centers.

Mihm has said he has the jumper to play on the wing. Rambis was asked if he agreed.

``What would make him a good wing player is being able to step out and shoot that ball,'' Rambis said. ``But he’s got to be able to make passes, he’s got to be able to put the ball down on the floor, he’s got to be able to run the lanes. So there’s more to it than just shooting jumpers.’'

Among the scrimmage highlights was Shammond Williams sending a perfect alley-oop pass to Vladimir Radmanovic for a layup.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby flexxdzl on Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:43 pm

What position he will play continues to be a subject of interest. Mihm has said that he likes playing center but could play power forward on the wing if the Lakers wanted to use Kwame Brown exclusively at center. Rambis said it would be ideal to have both big men be interchangeable at the two spots. However, Mihm and Brown both are better suited as centers.

Mihm has said he has the jumper to play on the wing. Rambis was asked if he agreed.

``What would make him a good wing player is being able to step out and shoot that ball,'' Rambis said. ``But he’s got to be able to make passes, he’s got to be able to put the ball down on the floor, he’s got to be able to run the lanes. So there’s more to it than just shooting jumpers.’
'

I am so excited to see what we look like and what psotion everyone will play...and how people will be use ...our first preson game will reveal alot
flexxdzl

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:04 pm

And the blog entries continue...this time from AK over at the Times.

Andrew Kamenetzky of The Los Angeles Times wrote:
This just in: KOBE BRYANT'S 'DO IS TIGHT THESE DAYS!!!

I say that only because I'm trying to keep y'all the updated on basketball's Jack Bauer, but when asked of the latest haps, he just shrugged, "Got a haircut. Other than that, nothing new." I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Kobe's going batty waiting to get on the floor. I can't say I know the guy like my best friend, but for some reason, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who prefers watching hoops over playing. Maybe it's just me.

Anyhoo, today's end of practice scrimmage was divvied up into three squads rotating in and out against each other.

Blue Squad: LO, Smush, Sasha, Cook, Kwame, Walton
White Squad: Bynum, Turiaf, Shammond, Evans, Vlad, Pinnock
Green Squad: Devin Green (which is likely more a coincidence than Kurt Rambis trying to keep things light with an ironic play on words), Wafer, Douthit, Mamadou, Farmar,

There were highlights (Kwame sneaking a wrap around pass to a very surprised Cookie, who barely recovered from his shock to score the lay in) and lowlights (Smush blowing a layup after stealing the ball from Pinnock off an inbound. He redeemed himself, however, by canning a J on the next possession), but the one consistent was very physical action. Meaning a fair amount of "whistleable" play. That's simply par the course, according to Rambis. "Training camp, there's just always fouls." Odom agreed, especially since the monotony of early practices don't exactly reek of "fun." "Everything's so systematic. You gotta learn things together as far as defense and offense. Even learning the fast break is systematic. Guys get a little testy. Especially when the one time they get the ball, they get fouled. If you watch the whole practice, it's like that."

Rambis was asked if Aaron McKie was still an unknown commodity at this point, given his injury- riddled and borderline non-existent 2006. His answer stuck me as very "yes and no," depending on what the Lakers are specifically looking for in the wily vet. "That's an interesting question. We have a lot of faith in his leadership capabilities. He did a great job when he wasn't playing or when he was dealing with injuries last year working with the younger guys, showing them how to be professional. He was fantastic in those areas." When I asked if that that presence remained as necessary for a team one year older and wiser, Rambis didn't hesitate to confirm. "He does a great job talking to the players. When things get out of hand, he settles the team down. He's mature. He knows how to be a leader. He knows how to say the right things." As to McKie's theoretical contributions on the court, that's where things might get a little more dicey. "In terms of playing out there on the court, he shows all those instincts that good defensive players have," said Rambis. "He understand this offense and now it's just physically whether or not he's able to keep up." This was unfortunately not one of those days, since McKie's back done went gimpy.

Good news if you're a Dodgers fan: LO does think the series will go five games. Bad news if you're a Dodgers fan. He didn't seem to convinced of L.A. actually beating the Mets.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:17 pm

Good looking out "V" I now know where to look for good info. :bow: :bow:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Perfecto on Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:33 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:Good looking out "V" I now know where to look for good info. :bow: :bow:
The Perfecto O Damns! Alba l Cuthbert l Beckinsale l Spears
Johansson l Rihanna l Panettiere l Baird l Cassie l Tweedy
Perfecto

Postby ladam24 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:43 pm

perfecto6893 wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:Good looking out "V" I now know where to look for good info. :bow: :bow:
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:20 am

Thanks for the comments you guys, but all I'm doing is a frequent copy and paste project...that's really all it is! And on top of that, alot of you guys (you know who you are) beat me to it, so I get alot of help by you guys. So you shouldn't thank a bum like me...

Anyways, there seems to be a minor report regarding Mihm's injury. I feel bad for the guy, but it seems that the recovery from surgery is not complete and he could face lingering pain throughout the rest of his professional career. Also it seems that McKie's status is day to day and the Lakers players need to control their fouling once the regular season begins.

The Los Angeles Times wrote:Center Chris Mihm felt pain in his surgically repaired right ankle after beginning his running regimen a few days ago. Mihm sat out 24 of the team's last 25 games last season because of the ankle.

"The more activity that's done on it, the more it gets to be a sharp pain," he said Friday. "It's a matter of working it as intensely as we can in a certain range, and when the pain spikes, icing it down."

Mihm, who averaged a career-best 10.2 points and 6.3 rebounds last season, is at least two to three weeks from returning.

================================================

Guard Aaron McKie sat out the second half of Friday's practice because of a sore back. McKie, who played only 14 games last season primarily because of a quadriceps tendon injury, is day to day…. The Lakers were in a foul mood Friday, in a literal sense. Tensions were higher than normal during scrimmages, and Rambis knew why: "Our players are fouling way too much in practice, which is always frustrating for players."
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby LukeWalton4MVP on Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:31 am

McKie costs as much Bonzi Wells?

(I'm sure this will trigger a "Do it Mitch :jam2: " post.)
LukeWalton4MVP

Postby KB24 on Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:51 am

ugghhhhh, just cut McKie for godes sake. :bang:

foul troubles will be a major issue with this team.

beside Kobe and Kwame everybody else is foul prone and some make really dumb reach in fouls. for example:

Sasha,Odom at PF, Sasha, Sasha, Sasha, Sasha, Turiaf, bynum, Sasha, Sasha, Smush, Sasha, Mihm.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby MarkMadsen on Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:41 am

flexxdzl wrote:So far, Divac and McKie have combined to play 251 minutes, the equivalent of 5.2 games.

wow thats pathetic.
MarkMadsen

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:08 am

cut mckie and just make him an assistant coach already
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby JSM on Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:51 pm

Eeesh, that Green Team is one ugly team.

Hopefully the Lakers can cut McKie in order to keep around Pinnock, someone who can actually contribute to the team and won't sit and rot on the bench.

If we like A-Mac so so much, let's make him an assistant or scout. I'd have no problem doing that. He has a wealth of experience and knowledge, I think he's just done as a player.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:06 pm

KB8@CL wrote:ugghhhhh, just cut McKie for godes sake. :bang:

beside Kobe and Kwame everybody else is foul prone and some make really dumb reach in fouls. for example:

Sasha,Odom at PF, Sasha, Sasha, Sasha, Sasha, Turiaf, bynum, Sasha, Sasha, Smush, Sasha, Mihm.

Wait.. I don't get it. Are you trying to say Sasha is foul prone?
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby KB24 on Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:48 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
KB8@CL wrote:ugghhhhh, just cut McKie for godes sake. :bang:

Wait.. I don't get it. Are you trying to say Sasha is foul prone?

ya I´m trying to say Sasha reaches in waaaaaaaaaaay too much. He produces 2 personl fouls in 17 minutes. thats simply too much. What worries me are not the fouls but HOW he fouls. mostly they are reach ins 30 ft away from the hoop. Remember to Charlotte game? He fouled Felton 60 ft away from the hoop on a 3 point attempt at the buzzer...thats a MOMENTUM KILLER right after we cut the deficit to 11.

Sasha needs to get his fins under control.

damn I always have only negative things to say about Sasha :bang: .
I´m kind of a Sasha hater but its not intentionally. I hope he really makes me eat my words this year.
Last edited by KB24 on Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby ladam24 on Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:57 pm

JSM wrote:Eeesh, that Green Team is one ugly team.

Hopefully the Lakers can cut McKie in order to keep around Pinnock, someone who can actually contribute to the team and won't sit and rot on the bench.

If we like A-Mac so so much, let's make him an assistant or scout. I'd have no problem doing that. He has a wealth of experience and knowledge, I think he's just done as a player.

I like that Idea.

JSM, now that Gump is long gone, whos your new most hated player going to be? Theres gotta be one right?
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Postby trodgers on Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:36 am

Just to put things in perspective a bit:

Marcus Banks averaged 5.2 fouls per 48 minutes last season.
Mo Evans 5.1
Shaun Livingston 5.0
Jason Hart 5.0
Devean George 4.9
Francisco Garcia 4.9
Greg Bruckner 4.9
Sasha Vujacic 4.9
Earl Watson 4.8

Does Sasha foul too much? Yeah. Is he as skilled a defender as some of those guys? No way. Is his fouling a huge problem? Not even close.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby JSM on Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:23 am

ladam24 wrote:JSM, now that Gump is long gone, whos your new most hated player going to be? Theres gotta be one right?

Good question. I want to see the new guys play first. There aren't any Lakers I despise right now. My least favorite Laker is probably Sasha. I dislike how Farmar is overrated, but that's nothing against him. And I can't stand watching Cook suck on D. That's about it for now.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby strategos on Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:28 am

The Lakers have put the emphasis on defense, which plays to Turiaf’s strengths. He said he wanted to be a communicator on the floor as well as an ``enforcer,’’ setting screens, boxing out and doing the dirty work not in the box score.

:man1:
strategos

Postby 81Kobe on Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:24 am

The question is: How many points are Odom and Brown scoring?

That is key for the season and even moreso for the preseason.

I could care less about A. McKie's health, why is so much ink being wasted on him?
81Kobe

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13