10/9 Lakers Report: Shaw grades team, Luke gives his $0.02

10/9 Lakers Report: Shaw grades team, Luke gives his $0.02

Postby Vasashi17 on Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:01 pm

Pretty easy day at camp today.

We get a bit of insight on what Luke thinks entering this year of camp.

Sasha makes a new friend.

Shaw gives a mini-grade report.

The Los Angeles Daily News wrote:How laid-back were things Sunday in Lakerland? Assistant coach Kurt Rambis got tired of waiting after about 30 seconds of us interviewing Luke Walton and left to take a shower and go home. So assistant Brian Shaw came out, took a couple of good-natured digs at Rambis, and answered our questions.

Shaw said things have been a little different not having Phil Jackson around.

``Every coach that's on that staff has an opinion,'' Shaw said. ``That's what Phil likes. When he's here, as a head coach you don't want all your assistants to be on the same page. You want them to debate and argue. You take all that information into consideration, but then you say, `This is how we're going to do it' and we follow suit.''

Shaw said the first 1 1-2 days of training camp were a little less organized than usual but the staff has adjusted quickly. Jackson and Rambis are talking daily.

On a completely different note, Sasha Vujacic and Vladimir Radmanovic have taken to pairing off when they shoot after practice. It looks like Vujacic, who was mentored by Vlade Divac during his rookie season, has welcomed the addition of a new Vlade to the team.

Here's a story on the Lakers' second-longest tenured player after Kobe Bryant. Would you have guessed that's Luke Walton? (He and Brian Cook actually share the distinction, in the interest of accuracy.)

================================================

With the departure of Devean George this summer, Luke Walton is now one of only three holdovers from the Lakers team that lost to Detroit in the 2004 NBA Finals, along with Kobe Bryant and Brian Cook.

Every time Walton has showed up for training camp, in addition, the Lakers have had a new look from the season before.

He was a rookie on the Finals team with four probable future Hall of Famers and thought, ``I was going to win a championship just walking in the gym.’'

The draft-lottery season after the Shaquille O’Neal trade came next, followed by the return of Phil Jackson as coach and an agonizing seven-game loss to Phoenix in the first round of the playoffs last spring.

The Lakers have not broadcast their expectations for this season - - Kwame Brown said it would be a ``letdown’’ not to reach the second round - - but Walton thinks the Lakers have as good a chance of advancing to the Finals as any Western Conference team.

``We feel like we’re at that level,’’ Walton said. ``We don’t feel like there’s a team out there that’s just better than us. We feel like when we’re playing at the top of our game we can play and beat anyone else in the league.’’

The only proof Walton needed came after watching Phoenix lose to Dallas in six games in the conference finals. The Lakers also will bring back 11 players from last season’s team, which learned to play together in the triangle offense.

``As a team and a unit, you have a lot more confidence in each other,’’ Walton said. ``As opposed to last year when so many times the whole season, we were losing close games because we didn’t really have that confidence about us. We had it about Kobe, but not about us as a team.’’

For his part, Walton is hoping to get through October healthy, as opposed to the last two years.

He is wearing compression leggings on the court to keep his hamstrings warm through all the stopping and standing of camp. Walton suffered a strained hamstring in the exhibition opener last season and went on to miss 11 regular-season games.

``My body feels better this training camp than it has since I’ve been in the league,’’ said Walton, who averaged a career-best 19.3 minutes last season.

His role also has yet to be defined. Walton moved into the starting lineup at the end of last season but the Lakers signed free-agent forward Vladimir Radmanovic in July, likely sending Walton back to the bench.

``With the way our team is set up,’’ Walton said, ``we have so many different versatile players that I’m sure we’re going to use different starting lineups.’’

Walton is comfortable both as a starter and floor leader of the second team. Playing with the starters gives Walton a chance to settle into the game; coming off the bench usually lends itself to team play without the stars on the court.

Report card: Assistant coach Brian Shaw singled out Danilo Pinnock, Jordan Farmar, Brown and Walton for how they played in Saturday’s scrimmage. Brown converted his opportunities in the post and Pinnock showed his athleticism.

``(Farmar’s) team was kind of stacked against him,’’ Shaw said, ``but he held his own and he did well.’’
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:05 pm

Great stuff.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby nicehair911 on Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:43 pm

k0pr0phage wrote:Great stuff.
nicehair911

Location: Wit so much drama in da LBC it's kinda hard bein Snoop D-O double G

Postby Barnstable on Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:46 pm

Thanks Vasashi17

Nice to hear Kwame is continuing to stand out and nice to hear Luke is playing well.

Keep it up Farmar. I think you're going to make the team :man1:
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby KiDLaK3R on Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:04 pm

It's good to see the team having "BIG" expectations as suppose to having low expectations like they did last year. last year it was all about going to the playoffs and thats it. this year we're looking to do more things and we are gonna do more things.
LaKeR FaNaTiC!

This is our year 2006-2007
KiDLaK3R

Postby saint091 on Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:31 pm

If Farmar keeps on getting positive feedback, he should have his chances of playing with the Lakers in the bag.
Credit to SocWiz15 For Sig
saint091

Postby rayboi8 on Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:46 pm

im confused, how is this article written for the 9th of october when its only the 8th?

vasashi have you seen the future?
rayboi8

Postby Vasashi17 on Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:58 pm

rayboi8 wrote:im confused, how is this article written for the 9th of october when its only the 8th?

vasashi have you seen the future?

:man10:

I have to admit, I confuse myself sometimes too.

There used to be a time when online articles that recorded the happenings of the day's events were released at midnight or in the early morning of the following day.

It seems that those times have changed.

Now articles are coming out the day of which they report the news. So you are right rayboi. This article is for what occured in today's practice. However, unlike its predecessors, this article was released today, when normally it would be made available to the major masses tomorrow. Hence tomorrow's date was used.

I think if this new trend continues, I'm going to have to reformat the dates that I use in the title.

I hope I didn't confuse you. :man12:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby ladam24 on Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:24 pm

nicehair911 wrote:
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Postby The Maverick on Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:59 pm

Everything i'm hearing about Kwame has been great news!
The Maverick
Australia's Lakers Rep

Postby cool on Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:15 am

I think this is great news to hear about the players how most are progressing and looking good and in shape. Also i like what i hear about kwame and andrew. I hear they got bigger. I like that now they can post up and play other big men equally. I CANT WAIT FOR THIS SEASON IT IS GONNA BE A GOOD ONE.

GO LAKERS
cool

Postby KB24 on Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:19 am

ladam24 wrote:
nicehair911 wrote:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Re: 10/9 Lakers Report: Shaw grades team, Luke gives his $0.

Postby 81Kobe on Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:30 am

The Los Angeles Daily News wrote:
Report card: Assistant coach Brian Shaw singled out Danilo Pinnock, Jordan Farmar, Brown and Walton for how they played in Saturday’s scrimmage. Brown converted his opportunities in the post and Pinnock showed his athleticism.

The best news possible.

However, I'm somewhat disappointed not to hear the same about Bynum.

Jordan Farmar - he may be starting by the playoffs - after he remains under contract, whereas Smush is unrestricted at the end of the year.
81Kobe

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:35 am

Here's another article about the Lakers new player spokesperson since Foxy.

There are some brief notes at the bottom referring to Shaw, Kwame, Mo Evans and Luke's legs.

The Orange County Register wrote:Luke Walton has been on a team that made the NBA Finals. And he sees these Lakers as good enough to be there again - this season.

"I expect to be in the (NBA) Finals this year," Walton said Saturday. "We could've done it last year. We had a young team that had never really been there together. I think you really grow a lot from what we went through - losing the 3-1 (lead) to a great team like Phoenix in the playoffs."

Walton said the vibe in training camp is "definitely the best feeling" since his rookie season, when the 2003-'04 Lakers reached the NBA Finals on the star power of Kobe Bryant, Karl Malone, Shaquille O'Neal and Gary Payton.

What Walton likes in the current Lakers is a growing communal spirit that feels special, one that wasn't quite established last season.

"There were so many times through the whole season where we were losing close games because we really didn't have that confidence about us," Walton said. "We had it about Kobe, but not about us as a team."

Walton foresees the Lakers winning more of the close games they lost last season and positioning themselves to make better postseason use of Bryant.

"The thing about basketball, when you get to the playoffs, every game comes down to the very end," Walton said. "We've got the best clutch player in the game on our team. So we feel as long as we play like a team and hopefully get a better seed than seventh and have home-court advantage, then we can win that and move on. And we match up pretty well against a lot of teams in the Western Conference."

The Lakers were already competitive with most of the league's top teams last season, bolstering Walton's faith.

"If you look at last year, we had a great chance at knocking off Phoenix," Walton said. "Granted, we didn't take care of business, but they (the Suns) went all the way to the Western Conference finals and lost to Dallas. And Dallas had a great chance at winning the NBA Finals, so we feel like we're at that level. We don't feel like there's a team out there that's just better than us."

Lakers assistant coach Brian Shaw cited Kwame Brown, Walton, Danilo Pinnock, Jordan Farmar and Brian Cook as most impressive in the team's extensive scrimmages Saturday night. Shaw served as Brown's primary confidant last season, and going into this season, Shaw said he's telling Brown: "Keep riding that wave of confidence." ...

Small forward Maurice Evans on the triangle offense: "People don't realize the complexity of this offense. Guys like Kobe and (Michael) Jordan make it look so easy. Even guys like Rick Fox grew into the position and did so well that you kind of take it for granted how much you have to learn." ...

=================================================

Walton is wearing tights to keep his legs warm in training camp. He tore his left hamstring in camp a year ago.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby scheven on Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:11 am

your mind's not on the game.....it's gotta be a woman
scheven

Postby BDG on Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:05 pm

This is some ballsy stuff from Luke ... but I like the confidence.

If we get to the NBA Finals this year I will buy a Luke Walton jersey.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby KiDLaK3R on Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:48 pm

I think it's more then confidence. we never talked about Finals in the last 2 seasons or we could've if we had confidence.

i think there ready to make a huge run.
LaKeR FaNaTiC!

This is our year 2006-2007
KiDLaK3R

Postby TalkieWalkie on Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:44 pm

I think this FInals talk is ok...I mean, we can't expect them to make the FInals...or get anywhere close...

But we can be happy about the fact that the confidence of this team and the expectations are riseing each season.....this is all we can ask for...you can't climb a mountain without taking some steps....so-far...theres been positive steps and things are getting better...
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
TalkieWalkie

Postby NormNix on Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:50 pm

All the talking is nice to read from everyone.
NormNix

Postby Genius GZA on Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:10 pm

BDG wrote:This is some ballsy stuff from Luke ... but I like the confidence.

If we get to the NBA Finals this year I will buy a Luke Walton jersey.
I'm kind of a big deal..
Genius GZA

Postby trodgers on Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:06 pm

Luke is a bad mother. Good to hear that kind of comment. It reflects ignorance or confidence. I'm hoping it's the latter.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:40 pm

I hope Mo isn't discouraged by the complexity of the offense.

And that's very good to hear that Pinnock is impressing and will hopefully make an even stronger case for them to buy out McKie and give JR a roster spot.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13