10/6 Lakers Report: Who's the 1, Candid Blogs, Kobs pancakes

10/6 Lakers Report: Who's the 1, Candid Blogs, Kobs pancakes

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:08 pm

There's any early entry to tomorrow's Lakers report, so here we go. Make sure to check back to this thread tomorrow for any new updates.

The Los Angeles Daily News wrote:About the only thing Lakers assistant coach Kurt Rambis can say with respect to the four ball-handing guards competing in training camp is that everything will be sorted out by opening night on Oct. 31.

The Lakers have four such guards in Smush Parker, Sasha Vujacic, Shammond Williams and Jordan Farmar, and only 48 minutes to divide each game between them.

Parker started all 82 games last season and established himself in the league after failing to stick with three previous teams. Vujacic, meanwhile, averaged 17.7 minutes off the bench and knocked down 9 of 15 3-pointers in the playoffs.

Williams has the most experience of the four, having played for six NBA teams before spending the last two seasons in Europe. And Farmar is the team’s first-round draft pick who impressed during summer-league play.

``We’re going to let them (sort) that out for themselves,’’ Rambis said. ``If they’re playing well, they’ll deserve and earn time. If they’re not, then situations will have to be adjusted, whether that’s the D-League or moving players on.’’

Parker was back on the court Thursday after sitting out practice the day before with a sprained shoulder. He spent the off-season working on his mid-range game and trying to forget about his playoff slump against Phoenix.

``We’re going to be a better team this year because of it,’’ said Parker, who missed 22 of 26 3-pointers in the first-round series, ``and I’m going to be a better player because of my experience last year.’’

Vujacic worked out in the mountains outside of Belgrade, Serbia, for part of the summer and weighed in for training camp at 205 pounds, up from 193 as a skinny rookie two years ago.

But Vujacic will find competition in Williams. Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak approached Williams’ agent about signing him before last season but the two sides couldn’t work out a deal. Williams led FC Barcelona to the Euroleague Final Four.

Williams is a career 36.3 percent 3-point shooter and can defend small guards. He has spent the early days of training camp picking up the triangle offense.

``What I’ve been taking pride in is trying to create shots for other people,’’ Williams said. ``I feel confident that I’m capable of doing that, getting people in position where they can get open shots.’’

================================================

LA Daily News Blog entry for Day 3 of training camp

Kind of a quiet day around the Lakers. Andrew Bynum did have a spectacular block against Von Wafer in practice that knocked Wafer off his feet and sent him tumbling to the floor. Without a doubt, Bynum has the best shot-blocking instincts on the team.

Tex Winter was in good form, preaching about the principles of the triangle offense, in particular hitting the first open man and not waiting for somebody else.

Sasha Vujacic tossed up a right-handed hook shot from about 50 feet as he walked off the practice court. He hit the shot and said he wanted to read about it in the paper Friday. Unfortunately, Vujacic couldn't leave well enough alone and badly missed the same shot when he tried it twice more. That gets mentioned, too.

Kobe Bryant said he was still running three days a week on his injured knee. He'll put in another morning of work Friday. ``We don't want to rush it,'' he said. ``We're just taking our time, just getting stronger, letting the scar tissue heal.''

The Associated Press wrote:Meanwhile, the Lakers continued to work on defense, and sprinkled in some of the triangle offense Thursday. There were times during a scrimmage that Tex Winter, the team's basketball consultant who is considered the guru of the triangle offense, stopped the action and pointed out mistakes.

"Whether (Jackson) is here or not, there's a learning process that we have to go through with these guys," Rambis said. "We've got a bunch of guys trying to learn the offense, guys learning how to play together. So, its a process."
Last edited by Vasashi17 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby ladam24 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:09 pm

Sounds good. Thanks for the report. :bow:
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Postby Helljumper on Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:18 pm

Sasha with a 50 ft hook shot. :man4:

Has there been any pictures of Williams yet? I'm too lazy to search through the Media Day Picture thread.
Helljumper

Postby Weezy on Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:25 pm

Yeah, I want to see some pics of Williams, I think he's the only laker I haven't seen a pic of yet aside from maybe Cook. And I find it interesting that Kupchak wanted to sign Williams before last season. I guess his good season overseas had nothing to do with Mitch wanting him, he just has a bad eye for talent and wants cheap help.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:31 pm

Bynum 2.5 blocks a game easy :jam2:
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby jbiggs on Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:57 pm

Shammond Williams

KOBE FOR LIFE
jbiggs
ClubCavs.com Administrator

Location: Born in South Torrance (So Cal) and currently in Point Loma

Postby Helljumper on Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:03 pm

Thanks for the pics. :jam2:
Helljumper

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:10 pm

^ But isn't George's number going to be retired?

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby Helljumper on Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:11 pm

Kobe Bryant 8 wrote:^ But isn't George's number going to be retired?

:man4:

I didn't think about that. We can't let Shammond take the number of the great #3, GEORGE! :jam2: :man10:
Helljumper

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:17 am

Not much seems to have happened today at training camp, but here is a little blog entry from the Times.

Andrew Kamenetzky of The Los Angeles Times wrote:
Granted, I only caught the tail end of a scrimmage, but everyone seemed a little rusty (which one would certainly expect). As they practiced, Kurt Rambis reminded players to remain in motion, especially upon receiving passes, where players can't just stop as the ball is heading their way. "You must keep running until you get your hands on the basketball." Keeping the movement theme, Tex Winter harped a bit about the need to keep cutting and cutting. "We've got a bunch of guys trying to learn the offense, guys learning how to play together," reminded Rambis. "So it's a process. It's about where we would expect it to be right now."

Whether it's a "getting used to the new ball" issue or not, most players were susceptible to some bricks or missed layups. The notable exception was LO, who hit a string of mid-range jumpers. (Not that he's a fan of the 2007 rock, mind you. "Once that ball gets wet (from sweat), it kind of slips out of your hand. I guarantee you in the beginning of the season, you'll see a game lost by a simple pass.") Maybe Lamar thought if he canned a bunch of buckets, Coach Rambis might call practice early so he could catch the tail end of the Yankees-Tigers game. I say this only because he asked us reporters what the score was, then what inning. When informed that the game had been over for around an hour, a perplexed Odom asked when the game started. "It was at 10 am? Wow." The long-time Yanks fan wasn't too discouraged by the 4-3 loss (or the razzing from a few writers), reminding us that "Hall of Famer Randy Johnson" was taking the mound for game 3 and added, "Who's pitching for Detroit? You don't even know!" Like any of you Lakers/Dodgers fans, Odom was absolutely mystified by yesterday's "Kent/Drew/Donnelly-Gate," and talked about how bad base running is to baseball what turnovers and missed free throws are to basketball. That Kent started his sprint from second base and still got gunned down particularly blew LO's mind.

Just in case any of you thought Ronny Turiaf's sideline energy was a show for either the crowd or the cameras, rest assured, he's just like that during an El Segundo session. Dude cheers his arse off on the sidelines for both teams. Whether encouraging Brian Cook to push it after securing a rebound or leaping out of his seat after Andrew Bynum stuffed Von Wafer's layup attempt, dude simply don't sit still a whole lot.

Kwame displayed some nice energy during the scrimmage, including a move to the bucket that featured a series of spins. Truth be told, the coaching staff (and myself) thought it might have also featured a sizable travel, but Kwame cleared up the matter by emphatically yelling, "No %#*&ing travel!" And with that unbiased opinion in the books, case closed. All kidding aside, Rambis has seen strides with Kwame, especially after a move to center may have soothed some nerves for him. "Everybody, the first year that they're running through this offense, they spend so much time thinking about it that they don't feel relaxed. The post position is the easiest position to learn in this offense. It's where he feels most comfortable. It was a situation for him to develop a comfort zone late in the year." When I asked Rambis about how the coaching staff can help Kwame carry that March-May momentum after a three month break, Rambis explained, "One of the things that we let him know is that we do believe in him and we do see potential in him. He's a good kid who wants to do the right thing. And we're trying to do that without trying to put any pressure or expectations on him." Well, not zero expectations, but you hear what he's saying.

Sasha and Vlad Radmanovic hung out after practice shooting threes. Given that you can't walk 3 feet around that joint without bumping into a point guard, one expects Sasha knows PT could be scarce. Rambis said Vujacic's role- along with what's expected of him- would remain the same as last year, but acknowledged that a glut of ball handling guards could create an odd man out. "I think we're not at process yet, about what we're working this team down to," said Rambis. "We're gonna let them sift that out for themselves. If they're playing well, they'll deserve and will earn time. If they're not, then situations will have to be adjusted, whether that's the D-League or moving people on." Not that Rambis was specifically talking about Sasha forwarding his mail, but you wouldn't blame a guy for doing a little extra shooting nonetheless. As they were finishing up, he missed a shot at the goal next to me, the rebound heading my way. I picked up the ball and Sasha motioned for it. "I gotta get you the assist." I fed Sasha an underhand toss and he swished it, now satisfied enough to call it a day.

In the meantime, I've now come as close as I ever will to logging one minute in the NBA.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby ladam24 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:26 am

Thanks, i wish there was better coverage of camp. The coverage this year is not too good.
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Postby Genius GZA on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:28 am

Vasashi17 wrote:As they were finishing up, he missed a shot at the goal next to me, the rebound heading my way. I picked up the ball and Sasha motioned for it. "I gotta get you the assist." I fed Sasha an underhand toss and he swished it, now satisfied enough to call it a day.

:mhihi:
I'm kind of a big deal..
Genius GZA

Postby KB24 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:51 am

Kind of a quiet day around the Lakers. Andrew Bynum did have a spectacular block against Von Wafer in practice that knocked Wafer off his feet and sent him tumbling to the floor. Without a doubt, Bynum has the best shot-blocking instincts on the team.
:bow:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Re: 10/6 Lakers Report: Guard rotation in flux, Great Blog r

Postby snakepit on Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:29 am

Vasashi17 wrote:
Sasha Vujacic tossed up a right-handed hook shot from about 50 feet as he walked off the practice court. He hit the shot and said he wanted to read about it in the paper Friday. Unfortunately, Vujacic couldn't leave well enough alone and badly missed the same shot when he tried it twice more. That gets mentioned, too.

:mhihi:
Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

http://www.lakersland.it
snakepit

Postby revgen on Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:59 am

KB8@CL wrote:
:bow:

This isn't new. Bynum was there best blocker early in the season last year when Kwame was out. He even blocked Tim Duncan at one time. Unfortunately, he kind of lost his rythym later in the season.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:43 pm

The Kid gets some shine...pay attention to what Kobe says...

The Riverside Press-Enterprise wrote:When Von Wafer drove to the basket and had his shot rejected by Andrew Bynum, Kwame Brown yelled, "Yeah 'Drew, get that (shot)!"

If Bynum is to find a steady role with the Lakers this season, defense likely will be his ticket.

Bynum won't turn 19 until Oct. 27, and his body still is developing, but he has grown an inch to 7-foot-1 and has the long arms to be a good shot-blocker.

"I'm playing defense a lot better, which I think surprised a lot of people," Bynum said after practice Thursday. "My offense, I'm working on that, but I'm just focused on playing defense and getting rebounds, and I'm doing that pretty well."

Bynum didn't play much last year as a rookie, but that could all change early this season.

Chris Mihm had right ankle surgery in July, hasn't been able to practice and has no timetable for his return. That could leave Bynum backing up Brown at center.

"I knew Chris had his surgery in late summer, so I prepared for the back-up center role," Bynum said.

Kobe Bryant walked past Bynum, grabbed his biceps and joked, "Look at that boy. He's eating all my pancakes. He's getting bigger."

Actually, 15 pounds bigger.

"I lost a lot of baby fat and then gained some muscle," Bynum said. "I feel stronger. My initial off-the-block, as far as getting up and down the court, is better from all the squats I was doing. I'm able to contest shots that I couldn't get to last year."

:man10:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB24 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:46 pm

Bynum and Farmer......damn being a lottery team or close to lottery can also be exciting :mhihi:

I´m so freakin excited about their future....seriously I love both and I´m just very excited to have them on this roster and follow their development. Thats why being a fan is so special :jam2:

KB24
Site Admin

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:13 pm

Given that you can't walk 3 feet around that joint without bumping into a point guard, one expects Sasha knows PT could be scarce.

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby KB24 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:20 pm

CaChooka Man wrote:
Given that you can't walk 3 feet around that joint without bumping into a point guard, one expects Sasha knows PT could be scarce.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby 2Pacalypse on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:22 pm

Just in case any of you thought Ronny Turiaf's sideline energy was a show for either the crowd or the cameras, rest assured, he's just like that during an El Segundo session. Dude cheers his arse off on the sidelines for both teams. Whether encouraging Brian Cook to push it after securing a rebound or leaping out of his seat after Andrew Bynum stuffed Von Wafer's layup attempt, dude simply don't sit still a whole lot.

I love Ronny. :jam2:
2Pacalypse
<b><font color="red">Random Thread King

Postby lakerball4life on Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:07 pm

Nissan Motorsports wrote:

I love Ronny. :jam2:

Amen! Ronny's attitude is quickly making him one of my favourite players in the league. Many times late in last years season i could be heard screaming at the tv 'BRING ON RONNY!'. After the whole heart surgery ordeal ive got a real soft spot for him, i really want him to make it in the NBA. Even if its not with the lakers.

Ronny for pres!! :jam2:
lakerball4life

Postby abeer3 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:26 pm

KB8@CL wrote:Bynum and Farmer......damn being a lottery team or close to lottery can also be exciting :mhihi:

I´m so freakin excited about their future....seriously I love both and I´m just very excited to have them on this roster and follow their development. Thats why being a fan is so special :jam2:

yeah, bynum and farmar both seem to be good prospects at hard-to-fill positions.

i'm worried about the lakers making the playoffs this year for a multitude of reasons (early season injuries chief among them), but if they were to miss the playoffs, i've gotten more comfortable with management's talent scouting over the past couple of years, and next year is a deep draft.
abeer3

Postby slimjim on Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:09 am

Andrew Kamenetzky of The Los Angeles Times wrote:
Kwame displayed some nice energy during the scrimmage, including a move to the bucket that featured a series of spins. Truth be told, the coaching staff (and myself) thought it might have also featured a sizable travel, but Kwame cleared up the matter by emphatically yelling, "No %#*&ing travel!" And with that unbiased opinion in the books, case closed.

:man9:
slimjim

Postby JSM on Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:30 pm

First off, thanks for all the updates and recaps V. I know it's a lot of work, we all appreciate it. I'll try to get back on the ball and chip in.

Well, that article answered my question about how much weight Andrew gained. From the pics, he looks to be in GREAT shape. He is an extremely hard working. For someone that young, that's impressive. But what I'm more impressed about is how ok he is with being a defensive player. Most players right out of the gate only care about buckets, buckets, and more buckets. But from everything Bynum has said, he's more than content with being a solid defender and allowing his offensive game to progress as it will. I'm glad he's not trying to force the issue.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13