Lakers sign CJ GILES

Lakers sign CJ GILES

Postby Bones on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:16 pm

The Los Angeles Lakers have signed free agent forward CJ Giles, it was announced today. Per team policy, terms of the agreement were not released.

Giles, a 6-11 forward who finished his collegiate career at Oregon State after playing two seasons at Kansas, averaged 6.3 points and 5.6 rebounds in ten games last season for the Beavers.

LINK

Another nobody for training camp most likely? :man5:

Background info from Draft Express:
The season was over before it started for Giles last season, who was kicked off the Kansas basketball team due to a number of issues off the court and academic problems. The talented big man decided to transfer to Oregon State, where he will be given every opportunity to shine this season, and where he must show progress on the court as well as maturity off the court to improve his draft stock.

Giles possesses excellent physical attributes for an NBA big man, starting with a 7’4” wingspan and an excellent frame which he has clearly worked on over the course of his college career. He has a picture perfect body for an NBA center, and the bulk he added during his two years at Kansas has not affected his athleticism one bit. When motivated, Giles runs the court like a guard, which led to some easy baskets for the Jay hawks two seasons ago.

Offensively, the 22 year old center has some decent tools, including a right handed hook shot that he relies on out of the post. In addition, he can step out to 17 feet and hit the open jumper with solid consistency. Due to his great length, Giles also picks up a number of garbage points inside, where it is nearly impossible for opposing bigs to stop him from scoring. Unfortunately, he has very little to work with in terms of moves in the post, and his left hand was non-existent during his two seasons at Kansas. Giles also has struggles with catching the ball as well, even though he usually establishes great position on the low block.

On defense, Giles has a rare combination of timing, athleticism, and length that makes him a potentially great shot-blocker. During his sophomore year, he started to put these tools to work, especially with his man to man defense in the low post. As a help defender, the talented center missed far too many rotations to have a big impact as a weak-side shot-blocker. Giles also has the potential to become a very good rebounder, though he relies on length and athleticism at this point rather than using his body to gain position. He often loses the inside position anyway by attempting to block shots despite his lack of position to do so. Right now, most everything regarding his draft stock has to do with his potential and size, and not production.

This will be a telling season for Giles both on and off the court. If he finally gets his act together and shows progress on the court, he could easily make himself a first round pick in the 2008 NBA draft. Oregon State will rely heavily on his play in the middle this season, so he should have every chance to show he’s made strides with his game in his red-shirt season. Few prospects have the natural gifts that Giles possesses, but some added maturity will go a long way in proving he’s ready to make the leap to the next level.

LINK
Last edited by Bones on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bones

Postby knm131 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:18 pm

That's just for when we play Utah, so we can confuse the heck out of them. :man10:
knm131

Postby Najim on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:23 pm

I wonder if he has a good B-Ball IQ? :wink:

(shout-out to the hilarious Luke Walton thread)
The Last Stand Has Begun...
Najim

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:41 pm

I don't know why we signed some duche bag, with major charactor issues :disagree:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby jazzy1 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:44 pm

camp fodder
jazzy1

Postby rydjorker121 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:57 pm

Yeah, he's really camp fodder and more than likely blew his chance for the NBA due to his lack of intensity, interest, off the court problems (baggage) and work ethic--and in effect did a full 360 by dropping from a prospective lottery pick in his freshman year to an undrafted pick by his senior year. There are so many like him--great physical tools (early NBA darlings before college exposes them) but just lacking proper development of work ethic--always the prospect, never the player. Heck, we already had one of those types in Davon Jefferson, who played for our SPL and didn't even make a dent despite being surrounded by far less superior (at least physically) players.

However, I'll give the Lakers quite a bit of credit for this signing; we're finally getting players who were once NAME players in the draft, and not scrubs that we've had in the past (remember Guy Rucker? Soumaila Samake?). Giles definitely has the tools--great athleticism for the center position, very good mobility and super large wingspan--and really physically looks the part of an NBA player. Let's just put it this way: in 2006, back when Giles was a sophomore, DraftExpress said that Giles had a body that "even LaMarcus Aldridge would be jealous of." That and combined with the "touch" that scouts raved about before he hit college--voila--and you have what people "deem" a lottery pick. Obviously he never improved (couldn't even bust 10+ ppg in college, and didn't even play well once he transferred to an undertalented Oregon State team) and he's just excessively foul prone. And yes, for those athleticism maniacs like I am, he can actually block shots--I actually don't mind him for a third string center, but with our deep roster made for a championship run, I think he shouldn't be a part of it--he just has so many problems dealing with work ethic and polishing up the rest of his game (even as a senior, he was just so raw with no post game, bad hands (Kwame like) and ridiculously poor fundamentals) so he really perhaps needs to go to Europe before the NBA will ever give him a chance.

I'm just glad we're going for those once-highly regarded players with great physical tools instead of semi-talented fringe players who don't excel in any one NBA area. He'll more than likely be cut, but like Brandon Heath it shows a shift in the Laker line of thinking (as we also saw in this year's SPL, when we got name players like James White, Taj Gray, Caner-Medley, etc on our team).
Last edited by rydjorker121 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby Juans_MX3_ZE on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:58 pm

KobefanMVP wrote:I don't know why we signed some duche bag, with major charactor issues :disagree:

I know... damn Kobe... :man4:
Andrew Bynum, future leader of the Lakers
Juans_MX3_ZE

Postby topballa90 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:04 pm

CJ " I'm only here for camp " GILES
topballa90

Postby diehard on Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:18 pm

Sounds a little like Kwame to me :freak2:
"Be true to yourself and you will never fall."

Ron Artest: Is it freaky if your girl has a barbed wired thong and comes in the room with plastic sporks? Twitter
diehard

Postby RJ on Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:33 pm

diehard wrote:Sounds a lot like Kwame to me :freak2:

Fix'd.
[PSN ID: RJN]

{CLK} One team. One Clan.
RJ, No Scope, Nissan, CrazyLikeCatfish, LD2K, Helljumper, TXLAKERFAN
PM me to join.
RJ

Postby topballa90 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:20 pm

RJ wrote:

Fix'd.

In that case we can really use this guy :man11:
topballa90

Postby rydjorker121 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:45 pm

RJ wrote:

Fix'd.

They're very similar down to the bad hands, lack of fundamentals and both can piss you off with their inability to complete what should be simple plays, but Giles actually has shotblocking ability.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:45 pm

too skinny, next.

we need some powerhouse guys...we got length.

someone like james dorsey or something.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby rydjorker121 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:49 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:too skinny, next.

Josh Powell? I know he's not exactly that sort of "bruiser"--but if we're going to replace Ronny Turiaf, he was the next best thing in the market. Although I wanted the Lakers to take a stab at Craig Smith, but we never go for RFAs. Carl Landry anyone?
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby twenty10guy on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:14 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:too skinny, next.

I thought joey dorsey would have been a good prospect, houston got him for crumbs from portland
.............................Worldwide lakers.............................

No part timers! No Bandwagon riders! No Fakes! No Phonys! We dont need em

..........Haters can play like steve irwin and go swim wit a stingray!!!......
twenty10guy

Postby Enforcer on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:30 pm

we signed who?
Enforcer

Postby Punk-101 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:37 pm

knm131 wrote:That's just for when we play Utah, so we can confuse the heck out of them. :man10:

:mhihi: :mhihi:
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby karacha on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:37 pm

Don't worry, you won't even see this guy in Laker uniform.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby z32 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:33 pm

rydjorker121 wrote:
RJ wrote:

Fix'd.

They're very similar down to the bad hands, lack of fundamentals and both can piss you off with their inability to complete what should be simple plays, but Giles actually has shotblocking ability.

lol That's the first player that came to my mind as well as I was reading through the article. Good thing he's only camp fodder.
z32

Postby Lal-mtl on Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:57 pm

The next "Joe Johnson". :mhihi:
-----------------------------------------
1. "RESIGN" (to quit, leave office, etc.) is not = "RE-SIGN"
2. "SHOULD' VE" (should HAVE) is not= "SHOULD OFF"
- same goes for would've, could've, etc.
Lal-mtl

Postby SanchoPanda on Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:34 pm

he looks like ac green
SanchoPanda

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:56 pm

Enforcer wrote:we signed who?

:man10: :man10: :man10:
favorite post in the thread
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby rydjorker121 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:06 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Enforcer wrote:we signed who?

:man10: :man10: :man10:
favorite post in the thread

The thing is, the only "name" free agents out there--Fred Jones, Juan Dixon, Mickael Gelebale, or anyone else on my sig--don't really fit any of our needs, and Laker management clearly wants to give the nod to young players to scrap and fight for their NBA lives rather than take on any semi-established talent. Giles is actually a name, at least for draftniks or college basketball addicts, although I wouldn't blame you if you forgot about him considering that he was an underachiever throughout his last three years of college.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby The Rock on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:34 pm

Who is this rudi pooh?
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:35 pm

Juans_MX3_ZE wrote:
KobefanMVP wrote:I don't know why we signed some duche bag, with major charactor issues :disagree:

I know... damn Kobe... :man4:

dude, your better than that :nono2:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Next

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13