Lakers: Training Camp Preview

Lakers: Training Camp Preview

Postby emplay on Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:45 am

Hey all,

Here's my Laker preview before Media Day and training camp.

I do my best to paint a positive picture - a few injuries and this thing can go south pretty quickly.

Still - before the season starts - optimism can be contagious.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_23496.shtml

Thanks

Eric
emplay
Clublakers Analyst

Postby civilrage on Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:49 am

Good article. thanks for breaking it down.

I hope caveman has a great year!
Tuning/Breaking a Lancer for 5 + years
civilrage

Postby Radner on Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:54 am

I'm not very fond that Cook is still here but I'm happy about another Laker season.

Television is boring without the Lakers.
Radner

Postby Weezy on Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:03 am

Can't wait for Monday and then for training camp and the reports that come out of it. Heck, I just can't wait for the season. I'm confident that Vlad will show this year why we signed him, now that he's healed I think he'll knock down those shots again. And while some don't think so, I do agree that Fisher is a major upgrade over Smush, on attitude, clutchness, and bball IQ (even though yes he does go under screens and take the occasional bad shot). I can't wait to see Bynum in action, see Mihm back on the court, see how much Turiaf has improved and get my first look at the rook. Crittenton was rated as the top PG prospect on some draft previews so I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB24 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:14 am

^Weezy Vlads problem has always been consistency...

even in Seattle he would hit 8 of 10 shots one game and go 2-11 the next 2....

he has NEVER in his career been any consistent even with shooting. Yes, when its said and done he has had solid percentage from beyond the arc but his overall FG has always been around 40% which is absolutely horrendous for a shooter with his quality and size...he can shoot over most defenders and he is quick and athletic...he should not shoot less than 45% to say at least...but he is just a knucklehead...has always been and will always be.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Weezy on Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:21 am

I'm not talking about Vlad's consistency, I'm talking about Vlad's ability to make a 3 point shot at all. Last year he made like 5 3's the entire year (exaggeration, please no one take me seriously, can't believe I have to actualy write this because some will). He was brought in to make open 3's and contribute, I don't expect him to suddenly be consistent every night. But last year he gave us like 3 good nights total, If he only brings 41 out of 82 good nights this year it's still better than last year. I'll take 12 ppg every other game over bricking every shot due to injury. I'm not expecing him to be our number to player, just to be much better than last year, and I don't think that's a lot to expect. 4 posts in and here comes that negativity already. :mhihi: I was just trying to be positive for a change.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby cthroatgtr on Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:24 am

At this point we can just hope that Bynum has improved and Crittenton is the real deal. This offseason again proved the Lakers FO really aren't capable of pulling the trigger, whether it be due to a conservative nature, lack of parts or just incompetence. I really think Bynum is key. If Bynum can take another big step forward, then having guys like Cook and Vlad make more sense. Still I would think that one of those two should be dealt along with Kwame's contract. Seriously if you are going to bank your future on Bynum then Kwame, whose has proven that he is only capable of playing center has no place on this team. Furthermore two outside shooting big men is one too many. I believe this just shows the teams conservative nature. They don't want to deal Kwame unless it brings a superstar back because they want to protect themselves if Bynum doesn't develop. Well at this point you have about pushed Kobe off the team in favor of Bynum so might as well make the future now. Roll the dice and live with the results. No one ever wins being conservative just ask Marty Schottenheimer.
cthroatgtr

Postby LkrsOvrMia on Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:46 pm

Weezy wrote:Can't wait for Monday and then for training camp and the reports that come out of it. Heck, I just can't wait for the season. I'm confident that Vlad will show this year why we signed him, now that he's healed I think he'll knock down those shots again. And while some don't think so, I do agree that Fisher is a major upgrade over Smush, on attitude, clutchness, and bball IQ (even though yes he does go under screens and take the occasional bad shot). I can't wait to see Bynum in action, see Mihm back on the court, see how much Turiaf has improved and get my first look at the rook. Crittenton was rated as the top PG prospect on some draft previews so I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.
:jam2:

I love the optimism!
"Why can't America realize that falling in love with Kobe doesn't mean breaking up with Michael?" Rick Reilly

Bryant, who will be representing Team USA for the first time, told Gasol: "Being that we lost this series, you (guys) have no chance at a gold medal. I ain't goin' 0 for 2, homie."
LkrsOvrMia

Location: "Sittin' on top of the world with my legs hanging free." -Dave Matthews

Postby davriver290 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:05 pm

looking forward to seeing Bynum and Farmar. Those two guys did pretty good.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby Black Sheep91 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:02 pm

thanks for the article
Black Sheep91
ClubHawks.com Administrator

Postby Q Deezy on Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:46 am

Weezy wrote:Can't wait for Monday and then for training camp and the reports that come out of it. Heck, I just can't wait for the season. I'm confident that Vlad will show this year why we signed him, now that he's healed I think he'll knock down those shots again. And while some don't think so, I do agree that Fisher is a major upgrade over Smush, on attitude, clutchness, and bball IQ (even though yes he does go under screens and take the occasional bad shot). I can't wait to see Bynum in action, see Mihm back on the court, see how much Turiaf has improved and get my first look at the rook. Crittenton was rated as the top PG prospect on some draft previews so I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

:jam2: I always liked weezy...
Q Deezy

Postby Alleyhoops on Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:37 pm

Weezy wrote:I'm not talking about Vlad's consistency, I'm talking about Vlad's ability to make a 3 point shot at all. Last year he made like 5 3's the entire year (exaggeration, please no one take me seriously, can't believe I have to actualy write this because some will). He was brought in to make open 3's and contribute, I don't expect him to suddenly be consistent every night. But last year he gave us like 3 good nights total, If he only brings 41 out of 82 good nights this year it's still better than last year. I'll take 12 ppg every other game over bricking every shot due to injury. I'm not expecing him to be our number to player, just to be much better than last year, and I don't think that's a lot to expect. 4 posts in and here comes that negativity already. :mhihi: I was just trying to be positive for a change.

Gotta love W's (not referring to our president) energy. Positive thinking.

If you all recall, Jackson stated before last season that he was going to give Mihm minutes at the 4. PJ pointed to Chris' skill-set as fitting the profile of a productive NBA PF. I'd like to see that.
Alleyhoops

Re: Lakers: Training Camp Preview

Postby orangezack on Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 pm

Great Article :jam2:
THIS POST HAS BEEN SPONSORED BY CLUBDODGERS.COM
orangezack

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:07 pm

orangezack wrote:Great Article :jam2:

You do know that's from last year, don't you?

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby orangezack on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:38 pm

Kobe Bryant 8 wrote:
orangezack wrote:Great Article :jam2:

You do know that's from last year, don't you?

I know but its fun too look back
THIS POST HAS BEEN SPONSORED BY CLUBDODGERS.COM
orangezack

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13