Tex Winter and why we love him

Tex Winter and why we love him

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:04 pm

I kinda dropped the ball and never posted this for Day 2s training camp report, but instead of posting it there, I feel it deserved its own thread, just cause its Mr. Tex "Triangle" Winter.

The source is an OC Register blog entry...enjoy:

One of my favorite people in the Lakers world is Tex Winter. He has his unique way with just about everything, and he commits to his way with total heart and passion -- and doesn't really care if you (or Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant) need to be told the hard truth.

Every year, Winter talks about retirement, but he's back again this season to consult for Phil Jackson (who calls Winter one of his mentors). And while Jackson recovers from hip surgery, Winter is here showing that years (he's 84) aren't everything ... and perhaps it will set some example for Jackson as he deals with his advancing age.

Winter was sitting and watching practice Wednesday when Bryant came over, nuzzled a chair right up against Winter's right elbow and got a good dose of Winter's usual -- and brutal -- honesty. You could tell Winter had plenty to say about what guys on the floor were doing wrong in the triangle offense, and at one point Bryant began to howl in laughter at what Winter said.

At the end of the first two practices, two men have addressed the team in the final huddle: fill-in head coach Kurt Rambis and Winter. One thing that would be big for the Lakers is if Lamar Odom connected more with Winter, but Winter's brusque and critical style doesn't go over well with everyone (see Shaquille O'Neal). If Odom is going to be more focused and professional this season, as he says, he'd be wise to glean as much as he can from Winter. The Lakers envision Odom still serving as a lead, ball-handling guard in the triangle, but much more often diving to different spots in the offense this season to benefit from mismatches.

It would really be unwise of Odom to not allow himself to develop a relationship with Tex. Learn from the master, otherwise Odom will not be the player he could be in the triangle offense.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby ladam24 on Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:11 pm

It would really be unintelligent of Odom to not allow himself to develop a relationship with Tex. Learn from the master, otherwise Odom will not be the player he could be in the triangle offense.

OMI, Kobe will try to get Lamar to open up, and listen to Winter. It;s souds like kobe has a great impact on Lamar.

Thanks Vash.
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Postby no_dont on Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:25 pm

We all know LO goes into a shell rather than fight through it. he has been that way his whole career. It will be up to Kobe to rationalize why he should become one with Tex.
no_dont

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:21 pm

I have no doubt Odom will at least try to listen to Tex. But I would really like it if he doesn't get discouraged by Tex's criticism.

I really feel like LO will have a huge year, but first thing is first. Gotta listen to the man that pioneered the offense you are going to be in charge of.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13