10/1: Training Camp Coverage

10/1: Training Camp Coverage

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:12 am

Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:: What are the chances Ron Artest gets a team suspension from the Lakers this season?
A: 3 percent.

Chuck Person was right there on Nov. 19, 2004. Person’s left arm was hooked around Artest’s neck, pulling his head down. Person had the formidable challenge of trying to control Artest while also protecting Artest’s exposed head from all the debris being hurled from the hands of angry Detroit Pistons fans.

On Wednesday afternoon, Person was again with Artest, casually rebounding the ball as Artest practiced jumpers after the Lakers’ team workout.

The Lakers have hired Person as a special assistant for training camp, and there’s an expectation he’ll stay on staff for the duration of Artest’s first season here, at least. Person was a very good NBA player who has become a very capable NBA coach, but what’s most important here is that he has a special connection with the flammable Artest.

And the Lakers would be wise to keep using that as they chart these rough waters for the first time.
Person was an Indiana Pacers special assistant, dabbling in some scouting and some coaching, when Artest was there. That’s why Person was in position to try and help Artest that night of the infamous brawl. Artest wound up traded to Sacramento; Person wound up an assistant coach there, too.

Without Person in Houston last season, Artest still showed improved stability. He should be even less disruptive with Person’s help here and with the respect Artest has for Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom and Phil Jackson. In addition, it’s not Jackson’s way to use team suspensions to discipline players, so it’s highly unlikely it comes to that with Artest this season — even though Artest has plenty of such team suspensions on his resume.

You will, however, see a higher number when we answer Friday’s follow-up question: “What are the chances Ron Artest gets a league suspension from the NBA this season?” Check back to see how much higher.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: 10/1: Training Camp Reports

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:14 am

Janis Carr of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:No one is surprised that Derek Fisher came into training camp fit and ready to play. The Lakers veteran guard always is a picture of fitness, looking as though he just stepped out of a Bow-Flex commercial.

Or movie.

Many have called Fisher “Benjamin Button” after the Brad Pitt character that reverses his age because at 35, he continues to impress with his fitness and determination to keep the body of a player 10 years younger.
“It’s flattering for people to say that, but I seriously have never felt better,” Fisher said.

In his quest to stay on top of his game (and perhaps defy aging), Fisher hired Peter Park, the strength and conditioning coach of seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong, to help prepare him for the season. Wonder how his cycling skills are?
JSM

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:20 am

Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register wrote:Ron Artest has known Lamar Odom for 20 years and been right there for, as Odom says, “the triumphs and tragedies” of Odom’s life. Artest is fully aware how immersed Odom, reasonably famous for a never-an-All-Star basketball career, has become in the fashion and music scenes.

Now Odom has bumped the Brangelina brood and Jon Gosselin-plus-date off the tabloids’ top shelves with his whirlwind wedding to reality TV personality Khloe Kardashian.

“He would’ve made the media eventually for something anyway,” said Artest, who has been credited as the matchmaker even though he doesn’t know if that’s true. “So why not be in the media with a beautiful young lady?”

The bachelor party was Thursday, the wedding was Sunday and the opening of Lakers training camp was Tuesday. Odom did look a little ragged back at work Tuesday, when he tried to explain that his love is real, singing a hopeful note about how couples can be married 25 years without long engagements.

Yet he couldn’t say much out of deference to the Nov. 8 telecast of the wedding on E! (Conveniently for Lakers fans, it’s a night off in between the team’s two exhibition games against Golden State. According to the Lakers in attendance, once the sun went down and the paparazzi thus had no choice but to leave, things got lively.)

On Wednesday, the gym became Odom’s comfort zone again. He played ball and, as is his way, showed love for the game more openly than most.

Odom seemed to have forced a turnover by Josh Powell during the team’s scrimmage, and when Phil Jackson signaled with an extended arm that possession should go to Odom’s team, he danced over with a big grin and tried to high-five Jackson. (The coach didn’t reciprocate, not that it stopped Odom from slapping Jackson’s wrist anyway.)

When Lakers assistant coach Brian Shaw, playing the role of scrimmage ref, overruled Jackson’s call, Odom protested but managed to laugh about that, too.

After practice ended, Odom came off the court and engaged a group of reporters in a high-energy conversation about the upcoming baseball playoffs and the state of the NFL.

In bare feet, with just tape around his ankles, and holding his socks-stuffed-in sneakers in his left hand the whole time, Odom re-enacted Brett Favre’s every move on the miraculous winning touchdown pass that lifted the Vikings over the 49ers. (The groom still managed to get his football fix Sunday, apparently!)

The little pink gum moved every which way around his teeth and tongue as Odom kept jabbering away about the boxing lessons he did every other day for two months of the summer. He said the effect is “incredible” and his whole body feels different now. He hiked up his purple shorts in an effort to display how much stronger his thighs feel.

Although Phil Jackson later kidded that the effect is a result of Odom having never worked out in any capacity during any previous offseason, Odom’s longtime personal trainer Robbie Davis agreed that the boxing has helped, saying of Odom: “He’s very fit.”

When he’s all revved up, Odom speaks all in questions, and he was soon doing so as he kept talking: “You’ve got to be strong from your ankles to your neck, right? To take a punch? You know what I mean?” A left-handed baller, Odom suggested that boxing right-handed would create muscle memory for all the right-handed layups he never makes.

He showed how his boxing stance is a slight crouch, similar to proper basketball positioning for defensive slides. He chattered on about how he liked that it felt “combative” and believed he would be a better defender to stand up alongside Artest.

Odom shared his workout mindset, saying: “I’m just thinking, ‘I’m gonna stay in there. I’m not a (wussy) anymore. Not scared to take a punch.’ And it just made me think of competing at the highest level, just one-on-one. Warriors.”

Lamar being Lamar – he’s the social-butterfly sort who simply knows too many people – he couldn’t remember his boxing trainer’s last name when raving about him Wednesday. All the hours put in were, in fact, at Terry Claybon’s LB4LB gym, and this is not a mere peripheral note to this story.

Claybon trained Denzel Washington for “The Hurricane” and Matt Damon for “The Bourne Ultimatum.” Claybon has also trained Tom Brady. And Tyra Banks. And Snoop Dogg.

There’s a reason Odom went there to work out. Artest is right; in NBA history there has never been a player so willing to pass up shots who has been so desirous of the spotlight. He definitely wants to win, but he wants much more to be a winner.

Say he should be more responsible; NCAA investigators have. Say he should be a better parent; the mother of his two children has. Say he should be a greater player given his skills; well, just about everyone has gone there.

He has always been a piece of work … and an incomplete work of art.

In a vibrant life plagued by loss of life (his grandmother, his mother, his infant son), Odom is starting to make the kind of mark on the world he has always wanted. He has achieved his longtime goal of proving he’s “not a loser” – his words – by playing a key role in the Lakers’ championship.

He is thankfully re-signed, happily married and proudly portrayed on the cover of OK! Magazine – his sideways grin dancing behind all three Kardashian sisters.

Whether you believe it’s real life, this is the life for L.O.

It’ll be interesting to see who he is now that he’s finally playing from ahead, not behind.
JSM

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:57 am

JSM

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:27 pm

LakersReporter: Andrew Bynum visited Italy, Spain, China and Japan in the offseason, listing Rome as his favorite city. More on that later.
31 minutes ago from TweetDeck
JSM

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:28 pm

JSM

Re: 10/1: Training Camp Coverage

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:38 pm

JSM

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:01 pm

JSM

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:01 pm

Video of Cleamons and Pau talking to Mike Trudell:

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/091001pr ... eport.html
JSM

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:16 pm

Not digging the Andrew getting beat on defense pictures. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:28 pm

Broderick Turner of the LA Times Blog wrote:Derek Fisher was apart of the Lakers team earlier this decade that won three consecutive NBA titles, so he knows how difficult it is to win championship over and over again.

n June, the Lakers won the NBA championship by defeating the Orlando Magic in five games. Now, they are faced with the R-word.

The goal is to repeat, something the Lakers have talked about.

"If you did forget to think about it, every fan you ran into this summer, they reminded you," Fisher said after practice today. "I even ran into some fans that said 'three-pete' already. So that shows you what we put ourselves up against in terms of outside expectations."
JSM

Postby Vincey on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:29 pm

Welcome to LA, Rifleman! Hope you can keep your boy in check
Vincey

Postby Ras Algethi on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:30 pm

Thanks for the photos. Most of the players are still wearing ZK4s. Kobe's wearing a new ZK4 colorway.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Blasta_Masta8 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:24 pm

What kind of shoes is Andrew wearing? Ive never seen them before.
Blasta_Masta8

Postby GoldHammish on Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:36 pm

JSM wrote:Image
:jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
GoldHammish

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:39 pm

^ That's only nine... ?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 10scott10 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:23 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ That's only nine... ?

They only started giving out the trophy in '77, and we have 9 since then.

this is the old trophy
10scott10

Postby Ras Algethi on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:27 pm

^ I believe those 9 represent the titles under Buss' ownership.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:29 pm

Wow, Drew finally looks like an adult man :man10:

Before he looked like a kid's head attached to a man's body.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:34 pm

ramonashelburne: Lakers finished the first of their two practices today. Phil is limiting Pau and Fish. No injuries, just holding them back a bit.
about 3 hours ago from web
JSM

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:28 pm

Janis Carr of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:Sasha Vujacic said cutting his hair wasn’t as painful as he expected. In fact, after watching a few game films, he realized that he did in fact play with his hair during games, just as Phil Jackson suggested.

“Everything Phil was saying was true,” he said.

So, on the advice of his coach, Vujacic chopped off his locks and now sports a short, spikey look, along with a beard.

“Now, it’s not in my eyes anymore and I don’t have that compulsion thing going,” Vujacic said, running his hand through the spikes.

But what’s up with the facial hair?

“If I shave my beard too, I look like a 15-year-old,” he said, laughingly.
JSM

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:30 pm

Ramona Shelburne of the LA Daily News wrote:Has Andrew Bynum outgrown Kareem Abdul-Jabbar?

For four years the relationship between the NBA's all-time leading scorer and Bynum seemed to be a productive one.

Abdul-Jabbar took Bynum under his considerable wing, taught him post skills and footwork, while Bynum listened and grew into one of the brightest young centers in the NBA.

But that relationship now seems to be running its course, at least as far as Bynum is concerned.

Sources close to the team said that Abdul-Jabbar will be playing a lesser role with both the Lakers and Bynum this season.

With his round-the-clock tutoring of Bynum not needed as much, sources said Abdul-Jabbar would likely spend less time with the team and more time back in his hometown of New York City.

All of which seems to be a considerable letdown for the former Lakers captain, who has worked closely with Bynum since the Lakers drafted him out of high school in 2005.

Abdul-Jabbar expressed disappointment in Bynum and the situation, saying that ``I think there are things that have to do with basketball that he could learn but he's getting on in years.''

Bynum said he understood his mentor's feelings, but that it's not personal and just a natural evolution for him in his career.

``I understand where he's coming from,'' Bynum said. ``It's definitely tough (for him). As of right now, I have my direction and he's still helping me. As long as he doesn't stop helping me everything is going to be fine.''

Over the summer, the two had no contact.

Bynum said that was because he spent only about a week and a half in Los Angeles following the Lakers championship parade on June 17th.

After that, he took a 41-day vacation in Europe and Asia, then went back to Atlanta for a month and a half to work with his personal trainer, Sean Zarzana.

He travelled through Europe with friends, backpacking and riding on trains just like a typical 21-year old kid who just graduated from college.

``I went all over, we did a whole bunch of sightseeing,'' Bynum said. ``I loved it. My favorite city was Rome. Just the history there, and the art is unbelievable.''

While Abdul-Jabbar expressed disappointment that Bynum was away from basketball for so long, Bynum said it was needed break both personally and professionally.

He also skipped the USA Basketball senior national camp in late July. Though he did not seem upset, Lakers coach Phil Jackson acknowledged Thursday that the team had encouraged Bynum to participate in the camp so he could get more experience on the court.

Bynum said that doctors had advised him to rest his knees, which he has injured in two consecutive seasons.

``I had to take the time off for my knee,'' Bynum said. ``I feel different, the rest definitely helped me out because it allowed everything to calm down.''

When he came back to the States, he dropped his things off in Los Angeles and headed out to Atlanta to work with Zarzana.

``We did a lot of track and legs. Not very much upper body,'' Bynum said. ``Other summers I came back a bit bigger up top. My legs were strong, but they aren't like they are right now. Right now I feel very good, I'm definitely in shape.''

In other summers, Bynum had returned to Los Angeles before training camp began at the end of September and worked with Abdul-Jabbar on his basketball skills.

This year, Abdul-Jabbar said the first time he saw Bynum was at media day on Tuesday morning, the same day training camp began.

``He's got to figure it out,'' Abdul-Jabbar said. ``Maybe he feels that there are things to be gained by doing it his way. So he's going to try it his way. I'm available for him, he knows that.''

Bynum said he still intends to work with Abdul-Jabbar in practice and watch film with him, but acknowledged their work won't be as extensive as it was in the past.

Bynum is in the first year of a four-year, $57.4 million contract, which he signed last fall. He has increased his scoring in each of his first four seasons, averaging a career-high 14.3 points a game last season in 50 games.
JSM

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:40 pm

Broderick Turner of the LA Times wrote:All three of them are competitive and all three want to play.

But there are only 48 minutes in a game for Lakers point guards Derek Fisher, Jordan Farmar and Shannon Brown to divvy up among them.

How that will be determined will be decided by Lakers Coach Phil Jackson.

"I'm just going to let that play out," Jackson said after practice Thursday.

Fisher, 35, in the final year of his contract that pays $5 million, is entering his 14th NBA season.

The savvy veteran knocked down two big-time three-point baskets in Game 4 of the NBA Finals against the Orlando Magic in June -- the first shot tied the score and forced overtime -- and that increased Fisher's lore.

Last season, Fisher played in all 82 regular-season games, averaging 29.8 minutes and 9.9 points on 42.4% shooting, 39.7% from three-point range. He is the incumbent starter. Jackson says he wants to limit Fisher's time to about 28 minutes a game.

Farmar, 22 and in his fourth year, missed 17 regular-season games last season after surgery to repair a torn lateral meniscus in his left knee. Farmar has one year left on his contract at $1.947 million and can sign a contract extension with the Lakers before the start of this season. If not, he will become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

He averaged 18.3 minutes and 6.4 points on 39.1% shooting last season.

Brown, 23 and in his fourth season in the NBA, was acquired in a trade from the Charlotte Bobcats along with Adam Morrison for Vladimir Radmanovic in February.

Brown signed a two-year, $4.2-million contract with the Lakers in July. He averaged 7.6 minutes and 3.2 points on 52.4% shooting in 18 regular-season games with the Lakers.

"That's Phil's job to figure it out for all three of us. That's why he makes the big bucks," Fisher said, laughing. "I don't know, man. I think the best way for that to happen is just for each of us to really focus on ourselves individually in terms of making sure we need to do what we need to do. But from there, it's Phil's choice based on personnel matchups, teams.

"I don't think that with all three of us having been a part of a championship team a year ago, I don't think that any one of us is going to want to be a part of anything that hurts our chances of winning it again."

Farmar says he wants to "earn more of an opportunity" to show he can lead the team.

"The starting point guard for the Lakers is a job I'm auditioning for, but that's not going to be given to you," Farmar said. "You have to work extremely hard and earn it. Fish has been around, he's got four rings and he takes care of himself and he stays healthy and he still gets the job done.

"I'm just going to continue to keep working, support him and make him work in practice. Shannon is going to be right there and we're all going to be pushing each other. It's going to make us better."

Jackson says he is aware that Farmar wants to be the starting point guard.

"Jordan has always displayed a very confident air about himself, at least off the court, not always on the court, so we appreciate that part of it," Jackson cracked. "But we want to see it on the court too."

The 6-foot-4, 211-pound Brown is the most athletic of the three guards.

But he's the least versed in the Lakers' triangle offense and still is learning how to be a point guard.

"My job is to just go out and play hard," Brown said. "I just want to make those guys better. They are going to make me better. But I'd definitely love to get more playing time."
JSM

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:41 pm

Mike Trudell of Lakers.com wrote:On media day, Lakers center Andrew Bynum told us (on video) about his training habits from the summer, which included a great deal of leg-strengthening work in Atlanta, and shared his goal of becoming an All Star.

Two days later, Bynum talked a bit more hoops - mentioning that he’s fully comfortable shooting out to 17 feet - but also revealed himself to be a world traveler. In fact, the 21-year-old detailed his journey through Italy, Spain, Japan and China that took place after he won his first NBA title.

His favorite stop?

“I love Rome,” he said. “I liked Barcelona, which is just like L.A., but I liked Rome because of the history there. The art is unbelievable, and then walking around during the sunset is crazy. I went all over, we did a whole bunch of sight-seeing and saw a bunch of stuff.”

Bynum said that he particularly appreciated the Vatican, but in somewhat of an upset, said he prefered Spain when it came to food.

“I like paella a lot (in Spain),” said the seven-footer. “I’m very American when it comes to eating Italian food. I really don’t like the way they serve it over there, where they do a salad, a pasta with nothing in it and then the meat comes after. I like to throw everything in and have it really sauced up.”

Being a rigatoni-with-marinara-and-chicken guy, I can respect that.
JSM

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:53 pm

LakersReporter: In other Bynum news, as mentioned in the blog post, he's quite comfortable with his range out to 17 feet. "Next part of my game."
about 5 hours ago from TweetDeck
JSM

Next

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13