10/5: Training Camp Coverage

10/5: Training Camp Coverage

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:31 pm

Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:Q: What are the chances Andrew Bynum is a better pick for your fantasy basketball team than Lamar Odom?

A: 98 percent.

It has been two years now that Bynum has had stretches where he is a stat-packing demon, which used to be Odom’s thing with his all-around game. Odom has meant more to fantasy owners in past years than in real life, actually … until he won a real-life championship last season while seeing his statistics dwindle toward irrelevancy.

Well, it’ll be more irrelevancy for Odom this season in a stacked Lakers frontcourt with Bynum determined to average a double-double and stay healthy and thus make the Western Conference All-Star team with minimal competition for that position. Bynum averaged 1.8 blocks last season and shot 56 percent from the field, two tough categories where he should help fantasy owners even more this season.

It’ll be interesting to see how much Odom drops off from his 29.7-minute average last season, a number boosted considerably by Bynum’s knee injury. As it shapes up, Odom will again come off the bench but will face an even greater challenge to hold on to his late-game minutes as a Phil Jackson-trusted closer. Bynum will be bucking to grab those minutes from Odom also this season. Odom basically didn’t play on the court with Bynum and Pau Gasol last season and probably won’t this season with Ron Artest around.

For general fantasy purposes, you should downgrade all the Lakers somewhat given the depth of talent on the team. But bear in mind that Jackson intends to keep the team a fast-paced crew, meaning more numbers for and against.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: 10/5: Training Camp Coverage

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:33 pm

Janis Carr of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:Pau Gasol owns an Olympic silver medal, an NBA title and now a prestigious European Championship, not to mention an MVP trophy from the Euro tournament.

In Spain, that should make Gasol as big a celebrity as any matador or Penelope Cruz. That is, if the Lakers forward coveted that kind of publicity, which he doesn’t.

Unlike attention-loving Ron Artest and now reality star Lamar Odom, Gasol tries his best to stay out of the spotlight unless he’s on the court holding a trophy. Then, let the cameras click away.

“I’ve been able to maintain a distance from all of that kind of press. I like to keep my privacy to myself,” Gasol said. “Celebrity press is not as bad, but it depends on where you go. Madrid is worse.”

Gasol said he has had “a couple of issues,” with paparazzi in the past when they snapped pictures of him and a Spanish model on a beach, “but they respect me and I understand their position a little bit.

“Everyone has to eat, everyone needs a job. That’s what some people choose to do. Maybe they don’t have anything else to do. It’s tough, (but) I understand their position, but respecting someone’s life is really, really important to me and trying not to violate their privacy.”

Gasol said he has not encountered any paparazzi hanging around his home in Los Angeles or following him around town.

“So far so good,” he said.

So don’t go looking for him on any reality show or supermarket tabloid stands. The only show he wants to star in is the one playing November through June at Staples Center.
JSM

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:35 pm

Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:The Lakers got Sunday off, but only five guys really earned it.

The “starting” five of Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, Ron Artest, Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher blew through all comers in the team’s Saturday night scrimmage.

“We ran the table,” Gasol said.

Said Phil Jackson: “They had a pretty good run, and they were very anxious about beating up on all the other guys. So that was good for them.”

Shannon Brown said his unit that included Andrew Bynum and Sasha Vujacic couldn’t keep up. Jackson said he couldn’t remember anything in particular about Artest’s play, although Bynum had one spectacular two-dribble drive and finish.

Jackson, you know by now, puts a lot more stock in who finishes games (Odom) than who starts them (Bynum, presumably), and the coach reiterated that Odom gives the Lakers a lot of familiarity and “non-verbal” teamwork, especially on defense, even as much as Bynum wishes to crack that regular late-game rotation. Jackson likes how “mobile and agile” the Lakers are in late-game pick-and-roll or dribble-penetration opponents when Odom is out there with Gasol.

“They know pretty much how to cover and recover for themselves,” Jackson said.
JSM

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:36 pm

[url=http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2009/10/q-and-a-with-andrew-bynum.html] Elliott Teaford of the LA Daily News Blog[/url[] wrote:Center Andrew Bynum looked back and also ahead during an interview today after practice. He spoke about his goals for the upcoming season, including making the All-Star team and helping the Lakers win a second consecutive NBA championship.

On the benefits of his offseason workout routine: "I think I'm a little bit lighter, so that's helped. We just did a lot more leg stuff, so my legs are much stronger now, and I'm able to run.... I did very well (in Saturday's scrimmage). It was fun."

On training camp so far: "This training camp is definitely a veteran-style training camp. Everybody's ready to go. Everybody's in their grove already. ... It's very natural for me. I'm feeling very good."

On playing in the first year of his new contract: "(There's) no pressure now in the sense that I can just go out there and give my effort. If anything it relieves the pressure. I don't have to worry about anything, just come here and play basketball. Work hard, play basketball and that's it. I feel good. I've got my timing back. I'm catching lobs again. I've got my legs back under me. I've been getting (good) low position."

On playing with a knee brace: "I have to stick with my brace for the rest of my career. It's a must. That's what the doctor said. The ligament is healed but it's still loose."

On his expectations for the upcoming season: "I expect to be out there at the end of the game. I expect to earn that. I expect to be able to block shots and put the ball in the basket. My biggest goal this season is to be part of the All-Star team. That's my big, personal goal. My team goal is to play defense and help to win another championship. My expectations have always been the same. For me, it's more a mental state. I have the tools. I'm able to do it. I just have to keep my mind sharp."
JSM

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:55 pm

I know it's been a Ron Artest summer, but I love what I'm hearing from and about Andrew Bynum. I hope this kid finally has a full year this year.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:46 am

S. Brown gave the practice MVP award to Kobe. Apparently someone talked trash to KB, prompting him to "Go off."
about 19 hours ago from Echofon

http://twitpic.com/kejls
JSM

Postby GNC on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:25 am

:man10: :man10:

i guess they are practicing pissing kobe off for real game situations
GNC

Postby JSM on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:38 am

Mike Trudell of Lakers.com wrote:Last week, Phil Jackson explained that D.J. Mbenga had not been able to participate fully in practice due to an injury, which Lakers spokesman John Black detailed on Monday:

Due to a malalignment of his hips/ hip flexors, the imbalance is causing him pain in his abdominal, groin and hip flexor areas. He continues to work with our training staff to rehabilitate and is expected to make a full recovery at some point in the near future.
JSM

Postby JSM on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:58 am

Practice report + video for Phil and Drew interviews:

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/091005pr ... eport.html
JSM

Postby Barnstable on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:29 pm

Bynum wrote: I've got my timing back. I'm catching lobs again. I've got my legs back under me.

Oh god, please let that be true.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby ZenMaster4President on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:42 pm

Barnstable wrote:
Bynum wrote: I've got my timing back. I'm catching lobs again. I've got my legs back under me.

Oh god, please let that be true.

Oh, yeah... the pick, slide, catch and dunk routine... So awesome.
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:28 pm

Great to hear that Drew is coming into form, I wish we could have seen that spectacular play that Phil was talking about that Drew did during the scrimmage. It's not every day Phil mentions that a player made a spectacular play.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby RushDelivery on Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:44 pm

Thanks for all of the updates JSM, I'm really enjoying the flood of Lakers news actually related to basketball after the constant stories of Odom's love life and Artest's escapades (not that the other stories are not interesting, I've just been waiting for some real news).
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat
RushDelivery

Postby ben_ready on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:22 pm

good work jsm appreciate these updates and all the work you put in yell
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13