10/6: Training Camp Coverage

10/6: Training Camp Coverage

Postby JSM on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:36 am

Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:Q: What are the chances that Shannon Brown is the Lakers’ starting lead guard at the end of training camp?

A: 1 percent.

And all 1 percent of that is wrapped up in a scenario in which Derek Fisher is injured at the end of training camp.

There is no way Phil Jackson doesn’t keep starting Fisher unless Fisher is hurt — no matter that Fisher struggled with his shot so badly and so much early in the postseason. And Fisher usually just does not get hurt: Logging 82 games in six of the past seven seasons speaks to that. He has reported to camp again in excellent condition with a few new workout strategies, tackling the reality that he’s 35 and thus supposed to near the end of the line. (As Fisher told me last season, he has no intention of retiring in 2010, even though his contract is expiring.)

If Fisher were to go down, the Lakers could conceivably turn to Brown as the starter and leave Jordan Farmar as the change-of-pace back for the second unit to face smaller backup guards. That hinges on what Brown and Farmar can show in camp, and I expect Farmar to have a bigger camp than Brown.

As wonderful as Brown’s size and potential are — and I’m a believer he can be amazing — Farmar is going to have a major bounce-back season and more of an impact on the team than Brown. Farmar is going into a club-option summer for the last year of his contract, too — naturally added motivation. (Brown has a player option this summer.) One lock is that Farmar will shoot better than his 39.1 percent last season.

It might well come to the point that you are more likely to see Brown take minutes away from shooting guard Sasha Vujacic as Kobe Bryant’s backup, although Vujacic is as sure as Farmar to be motivated this season to redeem a disappointing 2008-09 individual season. Brown is, in fact, more of a natural “two,” even though the Lakers’ “one” doesn’t have as much overall responsibilities as on other teams.

Brown said his offseason was highlighted by a championship parade for him in his hometown of Maywood, Ill., but he also watched a lot of triangle-offense film to prepare for camp. He’s going to need to apply everything he saw and more to push both Fisher and Farmar out of his way.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: 10/6: Training Camp Coverage

Postby Weezy on Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:19 pm

First, Fisher is an iron-man, 82 games in 6 of the last 7 seasons, that's crazy. As for Farmar, I really hope Ding is right, I'd love for it to be a bounce back year for him, I'd love it if he came out and gave us something almost every night, if he improved his shooting and defense and just became that player we know he is capable of being.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:40 pm

^ Personally I'm more into Shannon. Jordan has worn out his welcome for me. I hope he does well, but I'd rather see Shannon getting an opportunity. This team has a small history of turning end of bench players into consistent role players. I'm hoping that happens for Shannon this season.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby ben_ready on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:26 pm

i just like the ideal of having 3 great defenders on the court with ideal strength in shannon kobe and artest yell
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby Barnstable on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:43 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ Personally I'm more into Shannon. Jordan has worn out his welcome for me. I hope he does well, but I'd rather see Shannon getting an opportunity. This team has a small history of turning end of bench players into consistent role players. I'm hoping that happens for Shannon this season.

Even more than that, I don't think Farmar's style would fit the first unit. He's just not good at slowing down the game and executing with precision. I think Farmar tends to lose his game when he tries to play carefully. He needs to play up tempo, and that's harder with Bynum out there.

So because of that alone, I'd play Shannon as the starter before Farmar.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:57 pm

Janis Carr of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:Will he or won’t he?

Phil Jackson continued to tease the media about whether he would show up for Wednesday’s preseason opener against Golden State at the Honda Center. On Friday he said he might miss the game, much like last season when he stayed home because of vasculitis. Kurt Rambis coached that game.

Four days later, Jackson still would not say definitely that he would make the trip to Anaheim.

“I seem to be OK health-wise,” he said Tuesday afternoon. “I’ll let you know tomorrow.”

If he is there, Jackson said he would experiment with various line-ups, no doubt at point guard, and give some of the newer players minutes.

“We want to play different guys together and see how much they’ve learned and how much they have to learn to keep going,” Jackson said.
JSM

Postby JSM on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:58 pm

Janis Carr of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:DJ Mbenga, who has been bothered lately by a tender hip flexor, practiced for the first time in five days, taking part in a portion of Tuesday’s scrimmage. Phil Jackson sat Mbenga toward the end of the drill.

“I don’t think he re-injured himself, but it seems to me that he had some fatigue,” Jackson said. “But he played well.”

Dacos is back!
JSM

Postby JSM on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:59 pm

Elliott Teaford of the LA Daily News Blog wrote:Adam Morrison didn't play much after the Lakers acquired him and Shannon Brown from the Charlotte Bobcats last Feb. 7. He didn't seem to have much of a shot at cracking the rotation when the season concluded. But then he went and played well for the Lakers' summer league team in July in Las Vegas. He said his surgically-repaired left knee was sound again and that his confidence was high again. Flash forward to training camp.

Today, Lakers coach Phil Jackson praised Morrison's play during training camp, calling him "the best shooter we've had." However, Jackson was uncertain about what role Morrison might play this season, the final year on his rookie contract. Said Morrison when relayed Jackson's comments: "I feel great. It's the best I've felt since my surgery. It's finally come around. I feel like my leg is under me a lot more, which helps."
JSM

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:15 pm

^ Interesting.

The way I see it, there's two possibilities :
1. They are trying to find a way to build his trade value.
2. He genuinely looks good and LA is going to try to find a spot for him.

Honestly I'd assume it's the former.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:33 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ Personally I'm more into Shannon. Jordan has worn out his welcome for me. I hope he does well, but I'd rather see Shannon getting an opportunity. This team has a small history of turning end of bench players into consistent role players. I'm hoping that happens for Shannon this season.

I'm simply saying I'm rooting for the guy. I want every player on our team to do well, it's what's best for the team. I don't really see Jordan as the future of this team, but I'm hoping he can at least have a good season. And yes, I'm pulling for Shannon ahead of Farmar as well, I like his hustle, his defense and his height over Farmar.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:02 am

therealdeal wrote:^ Interesting.

Or

3. Phil's just trying to motivate Sasha by claiming Adam is the best shooter on the team.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Psychobroker on Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:15 am

Or maybe he;s just the best shooter? Did you watch him during summer camp?
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:10 am

Weezy wrote:

I'm simply saying I'm rooting for the guy. I want every player on our team to do well, it's what's best for the team. I don't really see Jordan as the future of this team, but I'm hoping he can at least have a good season. And yes, I'm pulling for Shannon ahead of Farmar as well, I like his hustle, his defense and his height over Farmar.

Agreed. Jordan playing at his best only makes this team that much more dangerous.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:10 am

Barnstable wrote:
therealdeal wrote:^ Interesting.

Or

3. Phil's just trying to motivate Sasha by claiming Adam is the best shooter on the team.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that one.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 10scott10 on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:59 am

Psychobroker wrote:Or maybe he;s just the best shooter? Did you watch him during summer camp?

yeah, he didnt look that effecient
10scott10

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:00 am

LakersReporter: Phil Jackson said he expected Bynum to start and Odom to continue to come off the bench.
about 19 hours ago from Echofon
JSM

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:01 am

LakersReporter: Adam Morrison says he feels the best he has ever felt. His goal is to find a way to earn minutes and has been focusing on defense.a
bout 19 hours ago from Echofon
JSM

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:02 am

LakersReporter: Fisher telling media how he keeps his body so healthy and his plan to keep playing as long as he can contribute.
http://twitpic.com/kim9k
about 18 hours ago from Echofon
JSM

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:31 am

Trudell's practice report + video of interview with Phil:

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/091006pr ... eport.html
JSM

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:39 am

Elliott Teaford of the LA Daily News wrote:The finish line is nowhere in sight.

There are miles still to be run. Pounds still to be lifted. There are baskets still to be made and passes still to be completed before Lakers point guard Derek Fisher calls it quits.

Yes, he turned 35 during the offseason.

No, he's not ready to retire from the game.

How long he continues in his present role is anyone's guess, however.

Even he sounded unsure when he spoke about his future Tuesday afternoon.

What is clear is that he's approaching the 2009-10 season just like it was any of the other 13 he's played in the NBA. He's not ready or willing to step aside simply because there are two energetic young studs poised to take his place.

Yes, there is increased competition at point guard during training camp.

No, there is not likely to be a changing of the guard - at least not this season.

"Until somebody tells me something different, I'm going after everything I can get on every opportunity, on every possession," said Fisher, who is in the final season of a three-year contract he signed with the Lakers in the summer of 2007.

"You can't just show up at training camp and think your body is going to respond the way it needs to, to have the impact that you want to have. I guess if I was just kind of hanging on, maybe the offseason wouldn't mean as much to me."

So, Fisher worked out with Peter Park, who has served as the strength and conditioning coach for cyclist Lance Armstrong, during the summer. As a result, Fisher showed up for training camp, older, wiser and just as fit as ever.

Maybe fitter.

It was a clear signal to all concerned he was back and ready for a run at a second consecutive NBA championship. It also was a sign he wouldn't be content to fade into the background after winning the fourth title of his career.

Jordan Farmar and Shannon Brown, the heirs apparent, took notice.

"Fisher's been around," the 22-year-old Farmar said. "He's won four rings. He still takes care of himself. He still gets the job done, so I've got to continue to keep working and support him in practice. Shannon is going to be there, too. We're all going to keep pushing each other, and that's going to make us better."

Farmar also is in the final season of his contract, so he has a good deal to prove as he hopes to play well enough to secure a big payday next July.

Pushing for more playing time, battling Fisher in practice is the only way to get a bigger and better deal.

"You're not going to be given anything, especially not in this job as the starting point guard for the Lakers," Farmar said. "I'm auditioning for it. It's not going to be given to you. You're going to have to work extremely hard and earn it."

Like his teammates, Brown also can become a free agent next summer. This is his first training camp with the Lakers after he was acquired Feb. 7 from the Charlotte Bobcats. Brown, 23, hopes to gain more experience and more playing time.

Last season, Fisher averaged 9.9 points in 29.8minutes in 82 games, all starts. His minutes actually rose from an average of 27.4 in 2007-08. He also averaged 11 points in almost 29minutes during the NBA Finals last June.

Fisher added to his already legendary status as a big-game performer in the postseason bysinking the tying 3-pointer in regulation time and then the go-ahead 3 in overtime against the Orlando Magic in Game 4 of the Finals.

Farmar and Brown played far lesser roles in 2008-09.

Farmar averaged 6.4 points in 18.3 minutes. He played only 65 games, all in a reserve role. He sat out 17 games after suffering a lateral tear of the meniscus in his left knee, which required surgery just before Christmas.

Brown played in 48 games with the Lakers after he and small forward Adam Morrison were acquired from the Bobcats for Vladimir Radmanovic.

Brown averaged 4.2 points in 9.9 minutes after the Lakers traded for him.

What's evident is that there is plenty of talent at the point guard position.

What's lacking are available minutes.

"I think everybody knows what they have to do, make the most of whatever minutes you get," Brown said. "Whether it's the lead guard or the (shooting) guard, the parts are interchangeable anyway. We don't have a point guard or nothing like that.

"However it goes, that's how it's going to be played. We don't have any point guard quarrels or nothing like that. We just go out and play hard."

Fisher said he doesn't feel the heat generated by the presence of Farmar and Brown. He said they didn't motivate him to seek out Park during the offseason.

He did that for himself, as a way to quench his own competitive thirst.

"I would be motivated as much or more without those guys," Fisher said. "I know my ability to perform. If I had to use external motivating factors too much, I probably couldn't step up. It's truly my own process that I expect from myself."

So, how much longer might he push himself? Can he play into his 40s?

"The way I feel right now, why not?" he said, breaking into a broad smile. "If you're willing to put the time in and do the work, it's more than possible. The body is capable of so much more than we give it credit for."
JSM

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:23 am

^ My love for Derek Fisher is almost creepy.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13