10/10: Training Camp Coverage

10/10: Training Camp Coverage

Postby JSM on Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:59 pm

Elliott Teaford of the LA Daily News Blog wrote:Displeased by their play in Friday's exhibition loss to the Golden State Warriors, the Lakers players held a meeting among themselves to remind themselves they can do better. Coach Phil Jackson said he was glad to see the players policing themselves, even after only two games into the exhibition schedule. "They felt like they didn't give the right kind of effort," Jackson said this afternoon. "It wasn't a bad effort, but nothing went right for them. It was just a little opportunity for them to talk about the right kind of energy."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: 10/10: Training Camp Coverage

Postby JSM on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:00 pm

Jeff Miller of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:The Lakers trimmed their roster to 15 Saturday by releasing Mikael Gelabale, David Monds and Michael Fey, who played at UCLA.

The team is off today and will resume practice Monday. The Lakers’ next preseason game is scheduled for Thursday in Las Vegas.
JSM

Postby therealdeal on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:59 pm

Well that's good to hear. At least they knew it was a poor effort.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:15 pm

Even though I am thrilled that they felt bad and had a team meeting. In no way shape or form was I concerned after last night. It's preseason and every once in a while teams have games like the one we had Friday evening.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby JSM on Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:17 pm

Jeff Miller of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:Having played one game in Anaheim and one in Inglewood, the Lakers’ next exhibition is scheduled for Las Vegas, a city generally considered just slightly more exciting.

Not they care terribly.

“You go there in summer, you can tear the place up,” Ron Artest said, smiling the smile of a man who apparently knows. “But this isn’t summer.”

The Lakers, having split their first two preseason games against Golden State, are set to play Sacramento at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Thomas & Mack Center.

That will leave the Lakers with five exhibition games, each in Southern California.

Asked what veteran NBA players gain from preseason contests, Pau Gasol and honest and short.

“Not much,” the forward said. “These games are tough, tough. The team can get prepared in certain aspects of the game, some of the sensations on the court.

“But I’m in good shape. I don’t really need a lot to get ready for the season. I just want to get through the rest of these games.”

Gasol prepped for the start of training camp by helping Spain’s national team win the European championships. It’s understandable then how gearing up to face players like Mikki Moore in cities like Ontario wouldn’t exactly titillate Gasol.
JSM

Postby JSM on Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:19 pm

Broderick Turner of the LA Times wrote:The Lakers are planning to play an exhibition game in England next year, The Times has learned.

The Lakers probably will split time between London and Barcelona, spending three or four days in each city and playing one game in each location against teams to be determined.

Plans have not been finalized, but the Lakers haven't played outside of North America since two exhibition games in France in 1991.
JSM

Postby KB24 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:59 am

If they are coming to Europe, I will be there...no doubt about it. I would go to both games if possible.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby bystander on Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:32 am

It’s understandable then how gearing up to face players like Mikki Moore in cities like Ontario wouldn’t exactly titillate Gasol.

wow, poor mikki moore, cheap shot there

Lakers are trying to play, or people are trying to get the lakers to play, in barcelona since the gasol signing. Pau has said it is close, it has been trying to do it since some time and it would be great for him and the team.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13