10/16: Training Camp Coverage

10/16: Training Camp Coverage

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:47 pm

Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:Q: What are the chances Andrew Bynum suffers a third significant knee injury in three seasons?

A: 15 percent.

Just in case I wasn’t prolific enough in columnizing on this topic earlier this month, let’s reiterate that one of the keys to the Lakers being just winners this season or off-the-charts great is Bynum’s level of paint domination. And the greatest obstacle to that domination remains his injury threat.

It’s difficult to project an “accident” occurring, but let’s reiterate also that they aren’t truly mere accidents with Bynum. I seem to be the only reporter who ever cites Lakers trainer Gary Vitti’s revealing 2008 quote about Bynum’s predisposition to knee injuries (and you regular readers know how often I have brought it up), and you can’t ignore medical research that supports the Lakers’ concerns that Bynum’s body is prone to knee injuries.

Bynum is being wise to wear the streamlined brace over the right knee in which he tore his MCL last season. That will help.

But you’ve still got to wonder about that left knee that he has decided not to protect. As I mentioned in my recent column, Bynum’s left-knee injury two seasons ago was also very much the sort that more often happens to someone with his knock-kneed frame.

A February 1996 essay in the Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy actually addresses this specific issue: “Quadriceps muscle group activation with this altered pull would tend to laterally displace the patella more than normal and less muscle force would be available for knee extension.”
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: 10/16: Training Camp Coverage

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:48 pm

Janis Carr of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:When a Lakers fan, holding a full cup of beer, approached Ron Artest from behind Thursday in Las Vegas, he was quick to react, jumping out of his seat in surprise. He no doubt had flashbacks of the last time when a he, a fan and beer mixed.

It wasn’t pretty.

Now, Artest needs to show an aggressive behavior on the court. Phil Jackson said the swingman isn’t as involved as he could like him to be. In three exhibition games, Artest has made just 8 of 24 shots.

“He still looks like he’s standing around watching the other guys play at times,” Jackson said. “I think he’s got to find his way in the post and do some things that asserts himself and put pressure on his teammates to get him the ball in the right spots.

“He’s trying to be the right guy and try to fit in and not try to crowd his way in there, but he’s got to do that. I’m going to have to force him to do it.”

Artest said he still is learning how to fit into the Lakers’ loaded lineup.

“I’ve never played with a player like Kobe (Bryant). We’ve got (Andrew) Bynum and (Pau) Gasol and (Lamar) Odom,” Artest said. “It’s totally different. I’m blessed to be in this situation, so I’m got to continue to study.”

And stay out of trouble.
JSM

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:44 pm

LakersReporter: Gasol, Walton and Odom all missed practice and remain listed as day-to-day.
33 minutes ago from Echofon
JSM

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:25 pm

JSM wrote:
LakersReporter: Gasol, Walton and Odom all missed practice and remain listed as day-to-day.
33 minutes ago from Echofon

Not a big surprise there, I am actually really glad that they are sitting it out.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:37 pm

JSM

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:18 pm

That's surprising to hear Artest is playing sort of passively.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:50 pm

therealdeal wrote:That's surprising to hear Artest is playing sort of passively.

I'm not really that surprised. Watching him out there, you can tell he's trying to be overly passive, trying to fit in. I don't think he's going to take the initiative until he really feels comfortable with the offense. He said he'd need another 2-3 pre-season games for that. But what's funny is this is the exact opposite of what all the "experts" were expecting. He knows his place on the team and is so eager to fit in and fall in line.
JSM

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:13 pm

Janis Carr of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:The Lakers’ frontcourt could be a bit decimated Saturday when they face the Charlotte Bobcats in the second game of the Staples Center Shootout. The Clippers square off against Utah in the first game.

Lamar Odom, who suffered a contusion on his lower right leg in Thursday’s game against Sacramento, began practice Friday but didn’t make it through to the end. Pau Gasol (hamstring) and Luke Walton (back) continue to nurse sore spots.

“(Lamar) went through the initial warmup drills and I just pulled him out,” Phil Jackson said. “I think he could play if it’s a regular season game, but as a precaution, we held him out.”

Jackson didn’t close the door completely on Odom playing, however. Odom is listed day-to-day.

Jackson said Gasol and Walton showed improvement, but still might sit out.

“They may not play this weekend. We’ll see how that goes,” he said.
JSM

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:51 pm

JSM wrote:
therealdeal wrote:That's surprising to hear Artest is playing sort of passively.

I'm not really that surprised. Watching him out there, you can tell he's trying to be overly passive, trying to fit in. I don't think he's going to take the initiative until he really feels comfortable with the offense. He said he'd need another 2-3 pre-season games for that. But what's funny is this is the exact opposite of what all the "experts" were expecting. He knows his place on the team and is so eager to fit in and fall in line.

I'm not surprised that he's proving all of the critics wrong, only that he's being shy on the court. He's such a big personality and he's so confident, I thought he'd be more aggressive getting himself involved.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:36 am

therealdeal wrote:
JSM wrote:

I'm not surprised that he's proving all of the critics wrong, only that he's being shy on the court. He's such a big personality and he's so confident, I thought he'd be more aggressive getting himself involved.

I just look at it as proof that Artest really cares about how this team does. The rest of the team already have a flow, and know each other so well, he just doesn't want to upset that. I not only respect him for that, I'm thrilled he seems to be looking at it that way.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:33 am

^ So am I. I wasn't saying that I was looking at it negatively, only that it surprised me. It's a pleasant surprise, definitely. I hope he gets a little more aggressive though before the season starts. He's a great fit for the system as a good three point shooter and a post player. He doesn't have to stay passive on this team, just not overly aggressive.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:33 pm

i've viewed artest from day one as a more versatile rick fox. i'm hoping that's what he and phil have in mind, too.
abeer3

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13