10/19: Training Camp Coverage

10/19: Training Camp Coverage

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:49 pm

Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:Q: What are the chances the Lakers go undefeated through 16 games in October and November?

A: 84 percent.

The early schedule for the Lakers is so cushy that it’d be a real surprise if they lost at all. Of those 16 games, only four are on the road, with Oklahoma City and Houston being among the Western Conference weak links (albeit scheduled back-to-back on Nov. 3-4) and Golden State right down there with the lesser lights (Nov. 28).

The one game to circle in the first month or so is Nov. 13 at Denver, with the Lakers playing the previous night at home against Phoenix, creating a fatigue situation. The Nuggets will be getting potent guard J.R. Smith back from NBA suspension that week, using their usual significant home-court advantage and seeking revenge for the recent Western Conference finals result.

Carmelo Anthony will be even better this season — and Smith should show some growth, too — but I foresee regression for various reasons for other Nuggets such as Chauncey Billups, Kenyon Martin, Nene and Chris Andersen. I don’t think Denver will finish ahead of the Lakers, Utah, San Antonio, Portland or Dallas in the Western Conference.

The toughest early home games for the Lakers shape up as Dallas (Oct. 30) and Atlanta (Nov. 1) in succession. Some might say New Orleans — twice in the first 17 games — could be troublesome, but the cost-cutting Hornets won’t be as good as in recent years.

My early season projection for the Lakers: 19-0 to start the season … and then a home loss on Dec. 9 to Utah. The Jazz usually isn’t much of a road team, and logic would suggest a Lakers loss on Dec. 12 in Utah on the second night of a back-to-back is a more likely problem spot, but that’s my hunch.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: 10/19: Training Camp Coverage

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:51 pm

Janis Carr of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:The Lakers allowed the Clippers to score 60 points in the first half of Sunday’s game, which gave Phil Jackson a pause. Do they miss Kurt Rambis that much?

“We have a lot more drinks in the fridge. We caught Kurt stealing everything,” Kobe Bryant said jokingly. “No, we miss having him around. We would watch tons of film. He’s extremely knowledgable about the game. We’ll miss that.”

Rambis was in charge of the defense and the Lakers gave up 99.60 points a game last season. Not a great stat (14th best in the league) but that’s largely because of how their offense runs. Rambis left this summer to take the head coaching job with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Bryant is one of two players left on the Lakers who played for Rambis when he took over as Lakers coach during the strike-shortened 1998-99 season after Del Harris got fired. What does he remember about Rambis’ coaching style?

“I honestly don’t remember. I really do not remember most of that. I just remember the (Dennis) Rodman experience. You know when youre young, you remember the dramatic (stuff),” Bryant said. “That’s all I remember about his coaching. That’s how that goes. That stuff I remember.”

Rodman drove Rambis crazy for the 51 days he was with the Lakers. The flamboyant rebounder typically either didn’t show up or was late. The Lakers finally waived Rodman at Rambis’ urging.
JSM

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:52 pm

Janis Carr of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:DJ Mbenga understandably was not pleased with Blake Griffin’s monster dunk over him in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s game. Not only because a 20-year-old kid “posterized” him, but because Mbenga claims the Clippers rookie pushed off.

“You know he pushed off, right?” Mbenga said testily. “But every great defender says that. But that’s OK. He is a young kid coming in and I’m happy for him.”

But?

“But I am looking forward to the 27th (next Tuesday when the Lakers open the season against the Clippers),” Mbenga said. “That is the real deal, right? This was not the real deal.”

Perhaps Griffin would be wise to read up on Mbenga’s bio. He would find out that the 7-foot, 255-pound center is a black belt in judo.

Griffin’s only saving grace will be the fact that because next week’s game is the “real” deal, Mbenga probably won’t see much time on the floor.

Beware Griffin! DJ's looking for revenge and unfortunately for you, you share a building with the judo king. :man9:
JSM

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:00 pm

Janis Carr of the Orange County Register wrote:After missing the past two games because of various ailments, Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom could see action Tuesday when the Lakers play Golden State at Citizens Bank Arena in Ontario.

Gasol and Odom sat out the Lakers’ games in the Staples Center Shootout over the weekend. Gasol has been bothered by a sore hamstring, while Odom suffered a contusion on his lower right leg during the game at Las Vegas. Both, however, took part in Monday’s practice.

Luke Walton, who has been nursing a sore lower back, is doubtful for Tuesday’s game and participated in only limited drills Monday.
JSM

Postby TT24 on Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:01 pm

^ Finally. That's really good to hear.
TT24

Postby hollywood swinger on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:47 pm

JSM wrote:
Janis Carr of the Orange County Register wrote:After missing the past two games because of various ailments, Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom could see action Tuesday when the Lakers play Golden State at Citizens Bank Arena in Ontario.

Gasol and Odom sat out the Lakers’ games in the Staples Center Shootout over the weekend. Gasol has been bothered by a sore hamstring, while Odom suffered a contusion on his lower right leg during the game at Las Vegas. Both, however, took part in Monday’s practice.

Luke Walton, who has been nursing a sore lower back, is doubtful for Tuesday’s game and participated in only limited drills Monday.

jesus ! are the warriors the only team we can play in preseason or what?
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby Barnstable on Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:34 pm

Finally. I was starting to worry that they weren't going to get enough time on the court in the preseason to jell with the rest of the team.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:24 pm

JSM

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:48 pm

^ thx JSM
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:54 pm

Thank you for all of the good stuff JSM.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:08 am

it's really unrealistic to expect a 16-0 start, regardless of the competition. if anything, it sort of sucks to play a bunch of patsies in a row, because you're bound to have an off game and lose one you shouldn't. the lakers did a fair amount of this the past two years. they'll drop at least 2 or 3 games in that span, imo. if not more. no reason to set the bar that high.
abeer3

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13