10/21-10/22 - Training Camp Coverage

10/21-10/22 - Training Camp Coverage

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:39 pm

Didn't get around to yesterdays, so today is double the fun.

Janis Carr of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:The Lakers waived guard Thomas Kelati, a free agent who signed with the team last month. He played in five preseason games, averaging 1.6 points and 1.2 rebounds in 6.2 minutes.

Tony Gaffney, the rookie out of University of Massachusetts, avoided the cut for the time being. Although he is not expected to make the team, Gaffney has impressed the coaching staff.

“I do think he has a future in the NBA,” Phil Jackson said. “Maybe not with our team, but definitely in the NBA.”

The Lakers could decide to send Gaffney, who is averaging 3.0 points and 1.8 rebounds in six games, to the D-Fenders.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: 10/21-10/22 - Training Camp Coverage

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:41 pm

(yesterday's practice)

Elliott Teaford of the LA Daily News Blog wrote:Andrew Bynum did not practice after suffering a strained right rotator cuff in the Lakers' victory Tuesday over the Golden State Warriors. Tony Gaffney also did not practice after suffering a bruised lower back during a fall late in Tuesday's game.
JSM

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:42 pm

(yesterday)

Elliott Teaford of the LA Daily News Blog wrote:The Lakers won't raise their 2008-09 championship banner until opening night next Tuesday at Staples Center. They will hold a formal ceremony, raising the banner and handing out championship rings before facing the Clippers. However, that didn't stop the team from hanging their four most-recent title banners in the gym at their practice facility this week.The Lakers plan to hang banners for all 15 of the franchise's titles, but they got started with the four won while Phi Jackson has been the team's coach.
JSM

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:46 pm

(yesterday)

Brian Kamenetzky of the LA Times Blog wrote:You know medical issues are on the front burner when even the coach is wearing a brace, as Phil Jackson was on his right knee Wednesday afternoon in El Segundo. Turns out it's to help relieve a little pressure on the leg, not some zen-like bonding exercise with Andrew Bynum. "Mine's not quite the same wrap level his is," Jackson said with a smile. Besides, to keep up with Drew's latest malady, PJ might need support a little higher up on the body. During Tuesday's preseason win over the Warriors in Ontario, Bynum took some contact on his right shoulder, painful enough to keep him out of practice today. Fortunately, it doesn't seem serious. Right now, the expectation is he'll suit up Thursday in Anaheim.

"My training staff doesn't anticipate anything that would prevent him from playing, but we'll see what it looks like tomorrow," Jackson said.

As for the rest of the walking wounded, Lamar Odom was fine after his return to the court last night, and both Pau Gasol and Luke Walton practiced. Jackson says assuming they don't develop any complications from today's run they'll be available tomorrow. Good thing, too, since the absence of so many frontline players has screwed with LA's preseason defense. "Without Pau in there and Luke and Lamar, it's been harder for other guys to really understand the rotations. Last night I thought we started out pretty good, but then we got a little bit sloppy and carried away with the joy of being up ten or twelve points, and that contributed to some easy baskets by Golden State," Jackson said.

At least mistakes aren't a question of commitment. "Overall I think our defense is intense, and that's the good part of it."

Jackson said Walton looked good in practice today, and hasn't really fallen behind (it's not like the dude doesn't know the program). He said he'd likely give both Walton and Adam Morrison each a night of substantial run over the final two preseason games.

Other notes:

-I realize the regular season is yet to begin, but the new clubhouse leader in the Question Presented to a Laker Guaranteed to Only Get One Kind of Answer has a chance to hold the top spot through June. Gasol was asked if he's seen any difference in Kobe Bryant, particularly regarding signs of decline. "He's still very, very hungry. I think he's in a very good place. We really don't have to worry about him," he replied. All very true, but let's say Pau noticed a few things about 24 that have slipped since his arrival. That the dude was on the way down. A shell of his former self. Do you really think he'd say that out loud? To the assembled media? Really? Can you imagine that headline?

-Walton said he felt good after practice, save the loss of some stamina. "That'll come back. I just had to shut it down pretty much completely for a week, which can make the legs get a little heavy on you," he said. It was again brought up that things were going well for him until Jackson noted how Walton had made his way through camp without getting hurt. "The messed up thing was I had a real good practice that day. I came in here, laid down, tried to get up, and it was like "Oh (wow), I can't really move right now." Walton said he's felt better over the last three or four days and he wanted to play, but the training staff kept him on the sidelines just to make sure any lingering issues went away. Reminded that the season is a marathon and not a sprint (meaning in October he should understand the need to sit until totally healthy), Walton just shrugged and smiled. "I'm still a dumb athlete. I want to play. You sit around and all your friends are playing every day, and you're on the sidelines doing (trainer) Alex McKechnie work (is no fun). Hearing his same stories over and over, the same jokes."

-Gasol's hamstring has been treated with equal caution. He also noted the loss of a little wind, but otherwise feels okay. Ironically, the rest he's had over the last week or so is about as much as he's had all year. It can't hurt, that's for sure.

-It was a particularly crowded house for an otherwise nondescript Wednesday practice, in part because HGTV was here filming a segment with Ron Artest and Lamar Odom for a new show called "Design School" that debuts next summer. In this installment, a group of FIDM students were recruited to design a piece of furniture for LA's forward tandem. I saw the mock ups, and while Artest's is a tasteful, understated, and extremely comfortable (and large, given the size of the sitter) looking thing, Odom's is... very Lamar. He wanted, I was told, "leather and a king-like throne." The result was a large, appropriately regal looking number with a back sweeping up and forward, curving towards the arms as it rises. Looks plush, too. And it comes with an ottoman. And his number will be upholstered into the chair. And the ottoman. Sounds about right, right?

VIDEO:

PJ, talking about Bynum's defense, and team D generally:

Gasol, talking about how the motivation for winning may not be exactly the same this season than last when the team used the memory of the Boston series as a collective fuel, but are equally powerful. Notice how he'll reference the championship banners, and I subtly pan left to include the most recent banner in the shot. That's cinematography.

JSM

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:51 pm

(today)

Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:Q: What are the chances Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol get sick of each other and start their own feud?

A: 1 percent.

Nothing and no one is guaranteed a favorable place in Bryant’s free-flowing universe. But Gasol ranks nearly as high as longtime pal Derek Fisher in getting a consistently good vibe from Bryant.

For those who don’t want to live in the past and read my 2005 feature on Bryant and are asking for a snippet from my recent sit-down chat with Bryant, here’s one that didn’t make the main feature: Bryant was talking about his 2007 trade demand and the Lakers subsequently landing Gasol and said, “Things just worked out. I call Pau my gift from above. I just absolutely love that guy. I’m just happy it worked out the way it did, because I really didn’t want to leave here.”

For some anecdotal evidence, I couldn’t help but notice a little moment between Bryant and Gasol during the Lakers’ exhibition in Las Vegas last week. Bryant pulled off a graceful move right in front of the Lakers’ bench to save a ball without falling out of bounds. He looked back at Gasol, not playing because of his hamstring tweak, to get a little credit for such a ballet-like turn, and with Gasol nodding with raised eyebrows, the two Lakers stars shared one of those little conversations friends have have without even having to speak.
JSM

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:53 pm

(today)

Janis Carr of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:The plastic brace on Andrew Bynum’s right knee will be in place all season. There’s no getting around the benefit of wearing it — stability and security — for the injured knee that sidelined him for 32 games last season.

He’s moving around the court with ease, averaging 20.3 points during six preseason games.

But how about the left knee that he had arthroscopic surgery on in 2008? Bynum said he could, at some point during the season, sport a brace on that knee as well. Just not at this point.

“I’m not done trying out the brace on the left knee,” he said. “I just don’t feel I need it, though. That’s why I haven’t been wearing it. But you could still see double braces this season.”[
JSM

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:29 pm

I'd almost be more comfortable with him wearing two braces. Not wearing a brace on his left knee seems almost like tempting fate after these last two seasons.

But I trust his judgement right now. If he feels more comfortable this way, then that's his decision.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:15 pm

Mike Bresnahan of the LA Times wrote:Gasol and Luke Walton (sore back) might play tonight after making it through Wednesday's practice.

Odom, meanwhile, looked fine in scoring 16 points Tuesday after sitting out two games because of a bruised right shin.

"Time off and [trainer] Gary Vitti -- that's the magic formula," Odom said.
JSM

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:31 pm

Mike Trudell of Lakers.com wrote:Gasol, who strained his right hamstring earlier in training camp, will also miss Friday night’s game in San Diego and await re-evaluation early next week.

Jackson explained that his All-Star forward had some questions about how (the hamstring) felt after Wednesday’s practice, during which Gasol ran and went through some drills. The head coach said it might be more of a fatigue issue, but to “alleviate” Gasol’s response, the team felt it was best to keep him out of the final two preseason games as there was nothing to gain by playing him.

“I’m not worried,” said Phil Jackson. “Whether he makes it (for the season opener on Tuesday) or not I’m not worried.”
JSM

Postby KB24 on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:46 pm

Walton truly is a softie...every damn year its the same...he just takes his time off...well with a 6 year contract in the bag, there is no reason for him why he shouldn't...

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby John3:16 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:55 pm

Kobe doing work (not sure what day this is from, so I'm putting it here).
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby ladam24 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:41 am

^Wrong year John. :man11:

I don't blame you though, there's only one thread in this forum related to this year's camp.
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Postby John3:16 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:18 pm

ladam24 wrote:^Wrong year John. :man11:

I don't blame you though, there's only one thread in this forum related to this year's camp.

I had the wrong month, year, forum, thread..... :bang: :man6:

I rarely come in here and figured it was the top thread, so that's where it went. :man10:
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby dane99 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:36 pm

ladam24 wrote:^Wrong year John. :man11:

it look like its this year tho because that jason kapono under the rim
dane99

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13