10/7: Training Camp News--Day 6 (injuries & Coby praise)

10/7: Training Camp News--Day 6 (injuries & Coby praise)

Postby JSM on Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:08 pm

OC Register: Lakers coach Phil Jackson actually cited Karl and fellow rookie Elton Brown on Sunday night as the "most impressive" of anyone so far in training camp.

"He makes shots," Jackson said of the 6-foot-5 Karl. "He's got a concept of what we're trying to do out on the floor."

His chances of making the Lakers' roster aren't necessarily great — but are very much there. Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said he'd prefer the flexibility of staying one shy of the 15-player roster maximum (the Lakers have 14 guaranteed contracts already), but Kupchak said that last spot is there for someone to earn in camp.

Karl, 24, got a start on that with an impressive summer-league stint for the Lakers and hasn't let up yet. It helps that he's used to playing ball in hiking boots, always going uphill.

"I've dealt with it my whole career," Karl said. "Honestly, I was never highly recruited in high school. I didn't start until midway through my junior year. In college, I was a walk-on at Boise State. I've always had to work and prove myself, so that's the situation I'm in again. I enjoy it. I enjoy trying to get people's respect."

That's why Karl didn't want to go try for a roster spot in Denver, where his father is the coach. Instead, he reasoned that the triangle offense was a great fit for him.

"The Lakers run the type of offense that I can fit into in the NBA," Karl said. "It allows me to spot up; it allows me to use my size."

Given that "Kobe" obviously dominates all things Lakers, Jackson said he calls Karl by his full name. But Karl revealed that Jackson has a little more fun than just that, saying: "I've gotten 'Coby Karl.' Then there's 'Coby II.' And he called me 'George' again today."

Then Karl added: "As long as he's calling me something by the end of this month, he can call me whatever he wants."

NOTES

Although he was walking without a limp Sunday, Ronny Turiaf is scheduled for an MRI on a right knee he hurt in a scrimmage Saturday night. …

Bryant returned to practice after a day and a half resting his right knee. …

Jackson praised the camp play of Jordan Farmar and Vladimir Radmanovic so far.
Last edited by JSM on Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby 10scott10 on Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:15 pm

why can't we transfer all of the injuries to important players to our scrubs. wy does ronnie get hurt and not sasha. i love sasha, but he is still a scrub.
10scott10

Postby CrazyLikeCatfish on Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:31 pm

He called him "George." lol. I hope Ronny will be fine, and it's nothing too serious.
CrazyLikeCatfish

Postby Godfather on Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 am

George! :man10: Haha that's great.
Godfather

Postby KB24 on Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:19 am

Turiaf is hurt? can this roster ever catch a break or does every day someone get hurt :bang:

health is a necessity early with the brutal shedule coming up

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Alleyhoops on Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:36 am

Coby Karl = Jeff Hornacek.

God, I used to HATE that guy. HATED him. He didn't stop moving on offense, around all those dirty screens that Stockton set. And Hornacek NEVER missed against us. Never! One dagger after another. I used to scream at the TV screen, "Will someone friggin' BREAK HIS ARM!" I still hate him.
Last edited by Alleyhoops on Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alleyhoops

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:37 am

LA Times: Forward Ronny Turiaf has a sore right knee and will have an MRI exam today. . . . Jackson has never been a fan of exhibition games. Thus, his response to what he hopes to see Tuesday and Thursday against Golden State: "Quick games, no overtimes and a limited amount of timeouts."
JSM

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:40 am

LA Daily News: Not everyone wearing a purple-and-gold jersey had an enormous ice pack strapped to an appendage during the first week of training camp.

It just seemed that way.

Luke Walton has a strained right hamstring.

Kobe Bryant has a sore right knee.

Lamar Odom is still recovering from offseason surgery on his left shoulder.

Kwame Brown is rebounding from surgery on his left ankle and right shoulder.

Chris Mihm also had ankle surgery.

The Lakers canceled the first of their two scheduled practices Sunday at Iolani High School, giving the players a chance to rest and recover before an extended afternoon workout. Sunday was to be the last of the team's two-a-days.

"It's too far away to be concerned," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said when asked if he was troubled by the injuries. "We're comfortable with the fact that these guys look good. Obviously, there's more of a threat of injury than the reality of it."

When asked last week about the aspect of his game he hoped to improve most this season, Brown said he simply hoped to be healthier.

"I just feel a responsibility to play more games," Brown said. "I only played in 41 last year and I think it hurt us. Hopefully, I can play all 82 this year because we're definitely a better team with me in there."

It's uncertain whether Odom, Brown and Mihm will be sound enough to play by opening night Oct. 30 against the Houston Rockets.
JSM

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:42 am

LA Daily News: Power forward Ronny Turiaf makes no apologizes for his style of play.

"I do the dirty work," he said. "That's what I do. I feel no shame. If that's what it takes for me to get on the basketball court, then that's what I'm going to do, brother. I'm not going to try to shoot 3s and do stuff I can't do. All I can do is play defense, rebound, block some shots and help the offense be so much smoother."
JSM

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:49 am

Press Enterprise Blog: The Lakers preseason itinerary said the team was scheduled to practice twice on Sunday, and this team needs every practice it can get.

But Lakers coach Phil Jackson called off the morning practice and had just a long practice that afternoon.

Jackson, legendary for doing off-the-cuff things, said he gave his players the morning off because it was ``really a nice day.'' And it was a warm, sunny day.

``We just exposed the day to our players,'' Jackson said. ``It's also the Sabbath.''

When asked if he went to church, Jackson said, ``Yes.'' He then was asked if his players went to church. ``I don't know,'' Jackson said. ``I give them that option.''
JSM

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:52 am

Press Enterprise: High Hopes for Space Cadet

Coach Phil Jackson said Vladimir Radmanovic has looked pretty good in camp, aside from letting a 6-foot-5 player out rebound him during Sunday night's scrimmage.

The Lakers signed Radmanovic to a five-year, $30.2 million deal a year ago, and the 6-10 forward was a disappointment.

Radmanovic is one of the better shooters on the team, and the Lakers want him to show that.

"There's some things he doesn't quite understand (in the offense)," Jackson said. "But he'll iron them out."

Karl, Brown Impress

Jackson said the most impressive players in camp have been Coby Karl and Elton Brown, free agents hoping to make the team.

Karl is a 6-5 shooting guard who has a pretty decent chance to make the team as the 15th player, and Brown is a 6-9, 255-pound forward.

"Neither one of them have a spot on our roster," Jackson noted.

Karl, who has $100,000 of his $427,000 contract guaranteed, showed how confident he was while playing on the Lakers' summer league team in Las Vegas, and Jackson called Karl the best shooter among the Lakers' guards.

"He's got a concept of what we're trying to get accomplished," said Jackson, who added that he calls Coby Karl by his full name all the time to differentiate him from Kobe.

Sore Mihm Sits Out

Chris Mihm, still not quite right on his surgically repaired right ankle, didn't practice Sunday.

Mihm said there was some irritation and he didn't want to push things.

"The biggest test is getting through double days," Mihm said. "Hopefully, with the day off, my body will respond. I'll be good for Monday's practice."
JSM

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:04 am

OC Register Blog: For those of you Kobe Bryant fans who feared he’d never again take over a game for the Lakers, he did just that tonight.

Just not in an altogether good way.

Bryant did a lot — including a lot wrong — down the stretch of a spirited scrimmage that was won by Frank Hamblen’s scrub-filled white team led by Javaris Crittenton, Maurice Evans, Sasha Vujacic, Coby Karl, Larry Turner and Andre Patterson. Kurt Rambis‘ losing purple team comprised Bryant, Derek Fisher, Jordan Farmar, Vladimir Radmanovic, Brian Cook and Andrew Bynum.

Bryant was extremely aggressive with his individual offense, taking over the game in the third quarter to bring his team back. But after a rest, he didn’t quite have the magic in the fourth quarter — losing the ball out of bounds on a key possession. He missed almost all of his shots down the stretch except for one drive that became a three-point play and left Evans hilariously muttering about the amateur referee imported to work the scrimmage: “starstruck.”

Bryant and Farmar missed three-pointers that could’ve tied the score at the end of regulation. Afterward, Phil Jackson noted that Farmar has had a strong camp, but he was pushed out of his comfort zone because Bryant was doing so much with the ball in this scrimmage that Farmar had to step aside.
JSM

Postby LkrsOvrMia on Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:56 am

CrazyLikeCatfish wrote:He called him "George." lol. I hope Ronny will be fine, and it's nothing too serious.
"Why can't America realize that falling in love with Kobe doesn't mean breaking up with Michael?" Rick Reilly

Bryant, who will be representing Team USA for the first time, told Gasol: "Being that we lost this series, you (guys) have no chance at a gold medal. I ain't goin' 0 for 2, homie."
LkrsOvrMia

Location: "Sittin' on top of the world with my legs hanging free." -Dave Matthews

Postby hitokiriheero on Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:26 am

Bryant did a lot — including a lot wrong — down the stretch of a spirited scrimmage that was won by Frank Hamblen’s scrub-filled white team led by Javaris Crittenton, Maurice Evans, Sasha Vujacic, Coby Karl, Larry Turner and Andre Patterson. Kurt Rambis‘ losing purple team comprised Bryant, Derek Fisher, Jordan Farmar, Vladimir Radmanovic, Brian Cook and Andrew Bynum.

doesn't anyone find this strange? bynum + kobe + farmar losing to critt +evans + sasha
hitokiriheero

Postby abeer3 on Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:47 am

JSM wrote:
LA Daily News: Power forward Ronny Turiaf makes no apologizes for his style of play.

"I do the dirty work," he said. "That's what I do. I feel no shame. If that's what it takes for me to get on the basketball court, then that's what I'm going to do, brother. I'm not going to try to shoot 3s and do stuff I can't do. All I can do is play defense, rebound, block some shots and help the offense be so much smoother."

how could anyone not love this guy?
abeer3

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:17 am

abeer3 wrote:
JSM wrote:

how could anyone not love this guy?

Eh, a lot of people just hate the French.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby Weezy on Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:02 pm

Bryant and Farmar missed three-pointers that could’ve tied the score at the end of regulation. Afterward, Phil Jackson noted that Farmar has had a strong camp, but he was pushed out of his comfort zone because Bryant was doing so much with the ball in this scrimmage that Farmar had to step aside.

Yikes, Kobe better not be pulling this stuff in games this year, gotta find a balance. Being a facilitator I'd think would help him get others their offense, hopefuly with a full team this won't happen a lot.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby oneofthesedays on Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:01 pm

If Kobe is of the mentality that he's just looking to "get mine" then we're in for trouble. If all he plans to do this year is to stuff his stat sheet then you can kiss any hope of us going anywhere in the playoffs.
oneofthesedays

Postby California Love on Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:31 pm

Lol @ Phil calling Coby "George".
California Love

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13