10/6: Training Camp News for Day 5 (Kobe rests)

10/6: Training Camp News for Day 5 (Kobe rests)

Postby Massacre on Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:28 pm

Kobe Rests Sore Knee

ESPN - Kobe Bryant and Luke Walton sat out the Lakers' morning workout Saturday as they recovered from minor injuries.

Bryant rested a sore right knee, while Walton has a strained right hamstring. Coach Phil Jackson said he expected Bryant to participate in the evening practice, but Walton, Lamar Odom and Kwame Brown would not.

"Some of it's preventative, some of it's the two-a-days and the attrition from it," Jackson said.

Walton said he felt a "tug" while running during practice Friday. He expects to return to workouts as early as Monday.

"It's just one of those things where it's only going to be a couple days, but you just can't rush it because it could turn into something a lot worse," he said.
Massacre
Clublakers Moderator

Postby LakerFan4L1fe24 on Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:35 pm

Not to worried about Kobe, the soreness should go away soon, but I am hoping that Luke can recover soon and get come games under his belt before the season starts since he was never the same after he came back from that injury last season
LakerFan4L1fe24

Postby 10scott10 on Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:08 pm

from what i read what luke had two years ago was a hamstring tear, and by sitting out after pulling it he is hoping to avoid tearing it. i think after he irritated it then, he kept working then tore it. better rest while you can and not get injured.

better safe than sorry.
10scott10

Postby nicehair911 on Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:58 pm

So 4 of our 5 starters are not practicing :bang:
nicehair911

Location: Wit so much drama in da LBC it's kinda hard bein Snoop D-O double G

Postby Chivalry on Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:37 am

nicehair911 wrote:So 4 of our 5 starters are not practicing :bang:

After last season, I am all for preventive measures. Why risk compounding minor injuries? It's still the preseason.
Chivalry

Postby JSM on Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:35 am

Press Enterprise: Two years ago when the Lakers trained here, Luke Walton strained his hamstring. Now he's gone and done it again.

He's day-to-day, but the hope is that he would be out just two days.

Jackson claimed to know what Walton's problem is.

"He's sweating a lot (and has) low potassium here in Hawaii. He's got to eat more bananas," Jackson joked.

It seems like the Lakers have health concerns every camp.

Along with Walton, Bryant sat out Saturday to rest a sore right knee, and there are several Lakers recovering from surgery: Lamar Odom (left labrum), Kwame Brown (right ankle and left shoulder) and Chris Mihm (right ankle).
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:39 am

OC Register: Bryant sat out the Saturday morning practice as a precaution because of discomfort in his twice-repaired right knee.

He is expected to play Tuesday night in the exhibition opener, but Luke Walton (hamstring injury) might not.
JSM

Postby JSM on Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:59 am

LA Daily News: Jordan Farmar stepped behind the 3-point line and launched jump shot after jump shot Saturday at the University of Hawaii. He shot from the corner, from the wing and from straight away, making far more than his missed.

Then it was Farmar's turn to rebound and Sasha Vujacic began to shoot. When Vujacic was finished, he rebounded while rookie Javaris Crittenton took his shots.

The three young Lakers guards tried to win bragging rights in a shooting drill while also attempting to win the third guard spot behind Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher.

It's a significant role since Fisher, 33, doesn't figure to play as many minutes as he did during his first stint with the Lakers.

Fisher and Bryant hardly ever seemed to leave the floor while leading the team to three straight NBA titles to start the decade. The difference between then and now is not lost on Farmar, a second-year player out of UCLA.

"I want to push him every day, and it's the same with Javaris," Farmar said when asked about battling for Fisher's leftover minutes. "(Crittenton) is learning every day, trying to push us both. I think it's only going to make us a better team."

Reading is fundamental: Jackson left reporters waiting a while as he read through the daily press clippings. He said he was curious to learn what Turiaf and Walton had to say about his plan to move Turiaf to the starting five and Walton to the bench.

"I had to see the response of some of my players to what you guys wrote," Jackson said, breaking into a grin. "I usually don't do that, so I come in here like a blind pig, and I don't have a chance. Compliance is what I'm looking for from the players."
JSM

Postby JSM on Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:36 pm

Honolulu Star-Bulletin: The first time Andrew Bynum visited Hawaii, the 17-year-old was trying to find his way around his first training camp with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Two years later, he's looking to assert himself in the competition for the starting center job as the Lakers begin preparations for the season in training camp.

"I've got a lot more experience now," Bynum said after a practice at the Stan Sheriff Center. "After two years I know what to expect out of training camp. I worked hard this summer and I'm in shape now."

Bynum entered camp looking to claim the starting job he filled for 53 games last season. Veterans Kwame Brown and Chris Mihm will also compete for the job in the preseason following injury-plagued seasons.

Mihm missed all of last season following surgery on his ankle. Brown is coming back from shoulder and ankle injuries.

"I'm just taking it slow, don't want to take it too fast and injure myself," Brown said. "I'm feeling a lot better than I did last year, it's all about consistency now, that I can maintain that high level of play without getting injured."

Bynum devoted his offseason to improving his conditioning with an eye on claiming the starting center job in camp.

"I definitely want to establish my position," Bynum said as the Lakers' opened training camp at Iolani School. "I think I'm good enough to get that starting job, and that's what I'm out here to do, to prove to everybody that I'm ready. "I'm definitely in way better shape than last year. That's the biggest difference, I feel a lot stronger than I did before."

Those competing with him have been among those to notice his development on and off the court.

"He's matured a lot," veteran center Chris Mihm said. "People forget how young he was when he first came in, and Andrew's worked hard all summer to get his body a lot stronger and get into better shape."

Mihm and Kwame Brown are both easing back from injuries to contend for the job as well as the Lakers move toward their Oct. 30 season opener.

"That's a problem for the coaches, and I think it's a good problem to have when you have three guys who can potentially start," Brown said.

"It's going to be a healthy competition.

"(Bynum's) definitely in shape now, and he's more confident and he definitely feels like he's ready to start and carry the bulk of the work. But that can be said for myself and Chris. But it's not a job for us to go out and worry about that. We just go out, put our best foot forward and let the coaches decide."

Brown's workload remains limited in training camp, a precaution against suffering a setback leading up to the season. Mihm can participate in all of the drills, though he regularly soaks his ankle in a bucket of ice at the end of practice.

"It was long process for me to get back out here on the court. I've really enjoyed getting back training with the guys," Mihm said. "It was a long year. To be in there rehabbing seven days a week for five or six months and to be in there every day at practice and all the games, I tried to do what I could to help the guys out, but when you're not part of the team and not playing it makes for a tough season."
JSM

Postby JSM on Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:42 pm

Honolulu Advertiser: At the end of another day of practice at the 'Iolani School gym, what remains of the Los Angeles Lakers line up along the baseline for a round of full-court sprints followed by free-throw shooting.

Exactly how long this daily ritual lasts depends on how well the players shoot after completing each grueling run.

It's just practice and, beyond a little fatigue, there are no real stakes to speak of. But it's the accumulation of seemingly insignificant moments like this that speak to the character of a team, and of its leadership.

Kobe Bryant is sitting out with one knee wrapped in ice. Lamar Odom is rehabbing an injured shoulder. Luke Walton is also sidelined with a troubled hammy.

And so it's left to prodigal point guard Derek Fisher to keep the team sharp.

"I'm really excited," Fisher says. "We have a young group, but I think it's a group that wants to do well and wants to be successful. We just have to learn how to do that."

And so, Fisher and probable understudy Jordan Farmar leave the rest of the scrimmage-weary team in their wake.

Fisher is the first to the charity stripe and he calmly nails the first free throw.

Fisher and his teammates line up for another round of sprints and free-throws. Again, it's Fish and Farmar at the vanguard.

"I've got my money on Fish," assistant coach Kurt Rambis mockingly chants from the sideline. "I've got my money on Fish."

Farmar takes up the challenge and the two make it back to the baseline in a virtual tie.

Fisher is enjoying his role on the team. He says he hopes to lead by example and, as Farmar and rookie point guard Javarris Crittenton get to know him, share what he has learned about surviving in the league.

"He's a professional and he comes ready to play every day, — play defense, knock down shots," says Farmar. "He's been here in this organization under this coaching staff and he's won titles. He knows what it takes. Me and Javarris and the other guards have to sit back and observe, not necessarily him on the court, but how he goes about his business every day."
JSM

Postby Weezy on Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:47 pm

I love what I'm hearing about Fish and what he's brining to this team. It's great to have a true leader at the PG position that guys look up to and listen to instead of a cancer who pouts and seemingly doesn't like the other PG's because they may take his starting job. He who shall not be named never seemed to like Farmar because he was a threat to him, I don't think we'll ever see that from Fish, he's a true professional.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13