10/3: Training Camp News for Day 2

10/3: Training Camp News for Day 2

Postby lakerfan2005 on Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:36 pm

lakerfan2005

Postby Ras Algethi on Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:45 pm

Sweet, thanks for posting. It's nice to hear everyone's getting along and have renewed hope for the coming season.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby ladam24 on Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:46 pm

Ronny's always rocking Kobe's kicks. :jam2:
Last edited by ladam24 on Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Postby davriver290 on Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:48 pm

lol, Turiaf, and Jordan look more exauhsted then Fisher.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby Radner on Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:25 pm

Phil and that cane? :man10:
Radner

Postby Chicano on Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:45 pm

^ haha yeah cracks me up too! :mhihi:
Chicano

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:29 pm

Press Enterprise: Mihm Update

A day after his first practice, Chris Mihm reported that his ankle was a "little stiff" but that he was OK.

Mihm, who missed all of last season recovering from his second right ankle surgery, is in competition with Bynum and Brown for the starting center spot and has looked sharp in practice.

Up-Tempo Triangle

The Lakers still will run the triangle offense, even moving Kobe Bryant back to the role of a facilitator rather than on the wing, but look for them to be more up-tempo and to do more fast-breaking.

"We're trying to maximize our scoring opportunities," Jackson said.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:33 pm

OC Register Blog: Here’s the good news for Coby Karl, who is trying to win a job and a guaranteed contract with the Lakers in training camp:

Phil Jackson said of Karl: “He might be one of our best shooters on the team already.”

Before that, though, Jackson had struggled to remember who the fourth young guard on his team was after a reporter had just named them in his question — Jordan Farmar, Sasha Vujacic, Javaris Crittenton and Karl — about the competition to be the first guard off the bench behind Derek Fisher and Kobe Bryant.

Jackson mentioned Farmar as the front-runner based on his starting experience late last season, Vujacic as having had good moments late also and Crittenton as having really impressed so far with his talent and “verve.”

Once Jackson remembered Karl — he called him “Coby II” — he did offer praise. But the way Jackson is talking, we might actually see Crittenton play some this season despite his almost total inexperience. Remember that Crittenton ran the triangle offense in high school, and it’s possible Jackson will find a niche for the kid — especially if he shows he can guard some of the bigger point guards in the NBA.

Mitch Kupchak said the Lakers might carry 15 players despite preferring the flexibility of 14 (they have 14 guaranteed contracts). So it’s possible for Karl to make the team, if he has a strong training camp and also shows he can play some on the wing. But bear in mind the Lakers are working Maurice Evans hard this year in hopes he can pick up guard responsibilities in addition to operating on the wing.
JSM

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:40 pm

LA Times: The player with the most impressive touch through two days of training camp is quite possibly Coby Karl, an undrafted free-agent guard out of Boise State.

"He might be one of our best shooters on the team already," Jackson said. "He's got a great stroke."

Karl, the son of Denver Coach George Karl, does not have a guaranteed contract, but the Lakers could change that at any time because they have only 14 players under contract, one shy of the league maximum.
JSM

Postby KB24 on Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:42 pm

Karl will get eaten up defensively....and he won´t play anyway with Java and Jordan in front of him...

seriously why not sign a tenecious defender? we don´t need more faciliator or IQ players with close to none athleticism and speed on the floor.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Kush327 on Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:12 pm

from what i saw of his work-out video, he didn't seem unathletic or slow footed to me at all.
Kush327

Postby Lakerzrevenge on Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:37 pm

Kush327 wrote:from what i saw of his work-out video, he didn't seem unathletic or slow footed to me at all.

Thats because he isn't.
“I put a lot of pressure on myself to go out and be great and the best player on the court. When I don’t, I feel bad for myself.” - Lebron James after Game 6 elimination to Celtics.
Lakerzrevenge

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:43 pm

LA Daily News: Brown continues his slow recovery from offseason surgeries on his left ankle and right shoulder, with the ankle causing him more difficulty than his shoulder.

He can't participate in full-court drills for the first week of training camp, although he hopes to do so next week.

"I'm trying to be ready for the start of the season," he said. "It depends on when the trainers say when I can go full-court. It's definitely been a difficult summer for me. I expect to struggle a little bit, but hopefully I'll come along strong."

Brown is expected to battle with Chris Mihm and Andrew Bynum for the starting center's job.
JSM

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13