10/4: Training Camp News for Day 3

10/4: Training Camp News for Day 3

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:13 pm

OC Register Blog: Word from the Lakers’ evening practice session is that rookie center Larry Turner basically cracked Derek Fisher’s head open, leaving a huge gash. No fun for Fish, but any session the Lakers survive without a major injury is a success given how injury-prone some of their guys are.

Lamar Odom is obviously the most noteworthy injured Laker, but Mitch Kupchak didn’t seem too worried about Odom’s shoulder. Kupchak said doctors advised him that it was natural for the second recovery to take longer; this is the second time Odom has had to have a labrum tear surgically repaired in his left (shooting) shoulder.

Sort of related to this point, let me pass along a little exchange I had with Odom the other day.

Odom said he has been doing more work with his right hand while he is still limited with the left — and he was ready for the comment about how infrequently he uses his right hand, something he says coaches have nagged him about since he was a youth. Odom first laughed and said how amazing a player he must be to have made it to “the majors” with just one hand. Then he proceeded to launch into a commentary about how it’s odd that if he’s so bad with his right hand that he doesn’t get the ball stolen from him much, especially with how much ball-handling he does for a big guy.

He concluded he must just be “crafty enough,” because if his right hand is as bad as everyone says, then why is he “a hell of a dribbler”? I countered by suggesting to him that maybe his right hand is really quite good then — and maybe he should be scoring all the time with it.

It seemed to be a new idea for him to contemplate and he nodded several times and said: “Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Hell, yeah.”
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:17 pm

LA Times: Help wanted: two positions.

Short of hanging out a shingle, Lakers Coach Phil Jackson has thrown open a pair of training-camp battles, one a four-man race at point guard, the other a three-man race at center.

Chris Mihm, Kwame Brown and Andrew Bynum will be fighting to start in the middle, and Javaris Crittenton, Jordan Farmar and Sasha Vujacic are trying to wrestle minutes from Derek Fisher at one of the guard spots.

Bynum has looked better on defense with his rebounding and shot-blocking so far, while Mihm has survived his first practices in almost 17 months after sitting out last season because of ankle surgery. Brown is not doing contact drills for at least a week, but he also figures into the mix as the Oct. 30 opener gets closer.

Jackson didn't give any of the three an edge.

"It doesn't matter, but I don't have a sense of it right now," he said, deferring to the eight upcoming exhibition games. "There's a good chance we'll play all three of them."

Fisher is expected to start next to Kobe Bryant in the backcourt, but the 33-year-old will be spelled plenty and his backup remains a mystery, although one of the frothier battles of camp so far has been the daily head-to-heads between Crittenton, this year's first-round pick, and Farmar, last year's first-rounder.

Crittenton, listed at 6 feet 5 and selected 19th overall, is three inches taller than Farmar and has already made somewhat of an impression.

"We'll see more obviously as exhibition games ensue, but at this point, he's got the skills that we like," Jackson said. "He's got the speed, he's got the verve. He takes the risks that I think are important for a guard and knows the value of the ball."

Crittenton penetrates well, but he needs to work on his shooting to become a more complete player.

Jackson knows what he gets with Fisher, chiefly an upgrade over Smush Parker, who became peeved and moody last season after his playing time was shortened.

"Fish makes big shots. He's a guy that gets the ball back for you on the defensive end by taking charges, getting steals," Jackson said. "Smush . . . was a sniper, one of the top steals leaders and had the ability to do some things extending the defense. It kind of opened up our defense at times and let us be penetrable."

Bryant, obviously, will start, but he might set up shop in a different spot on the floor on offense.

He has become comfortable in the wing but will move farther toward the top of the lane when the season begins.

"I kind of told him he's had off the last couple of years," Jackson said. "He's just kind of hedged on there in the wing, and hung out and played one-on-one, and pick and choose. I think our offense needs to have him as a distributor. He needs to get that mind-set back about being a playmaker and distributor. He's had his opportunity in scoring and being a great scorer."

Left unsaid by Jackson is the necessity to jump-start Lamar Odom in the beginning of games, along with getting the starting center activated on offense.

After an utterly forgettable first season with the Lakers, Vladimir Radmanovic has been shooting well from the outside in training camp.

"He looks more like a ballplayer than a snowboarder to me," Jackson said dryly.
JSM

Postby KB24 on Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:22 pm

thanks J for sharing...really appreciated :bow: :bow: :bow:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:24 pm

LA Daily News: A day after saying he hadn't been cleared to participate in full-court drills, center Kwame Brown participated in full-court drills. Brown is recovering from offseason surgeries on his left ankle and right shoulder.

"Kwame can run full-court, but he can't run full-court with contact," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said when asked to clarify Brown's status. "He can play half-court with contact, but not full-court with contact."

Jackson paused as reporters began to laugh.

"I know, I did the same thing," Jackson said. "If you need more clarification, ask (athletic trainer) Gary Vitti."
JSM

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:37 pm

OC Register: In theory, five chickens with their heads cut off sound as if they could play some disruptive full-court defense. In reality, the Lakers have realized it's just foul.

Coach Phil Jackson's plan of a frenetic, switch-happy defense that pressed and gambled caused more chaos for the Lakers than opposing offenses last season. When it came time to play solid halfcourt defense with proper rotations, the flustered Lakers were easily exploited for open shots or committed fouls.

This season, the Lakers will pack it in and play it safer.

"We want to get back in order," Jackson said Thursday. "Prevent fast breaks. We want to be in front of the basketball to stop penetration. We want to challenge shots so that makes it difficult for shooters to shoot. And we want to defensive-rebound to eliminate second opportunities. That's what we want to do."

Standouts such as Kevin Garnett and Jermaine O'Neal are scorers, but they are also dynamic defenders with imposing size and timing, which was why the Lakers knew they would help so much if secured in trade. Without them and with largely the same offensive-minded roster as last season, though, here's how Jackson assesses his group early in training camp:

"It depends upon whether we can defend and play defense for each other."

The Lakers probably will score even more easily this season considering all 14 players under guaranteed contract have some triangle-offense experience (even rookie Javaris Crittenton ran the triangle in high school). Most players have had multiple years of triangle work.

Plus, Jackson said he believes the offense will be more potent with Kobe Bryant playing more guard and less small forward, pushing the ball to get early deep post-ups for teammates or penetrating and kicking out for three-pointers. Lamar Odom's scoring should also improve if he plays closer to the basket most of the time.

Defensively, however, Jackson is in total-overhaul mode after the Lakers allowed 46.1 percent field-goal shooting, 18th in the NBA. All the teams that won playoff series last season — excluding Golden State's first-round shocker over Dallas — ranked in the top 12 in regular-season field-goal defense.

Jackson still wants defenders to be active — but in a smart way that means being quick to cover for teammates, particularly in the paint.

It's harking back to a simpler style the Lakers played in their championship years under Jackson, who said the basic direction now is to "eliminate confusion that might happen, so guys have less to think about and reactions are better."

NOTES

Chris Mihm might be the starting center in part because of how his surgically repaired right ankle is weakening without extended warmup time. … Maurice Evans is being worked primarily at shooting guard this season, not small forward. That leaves Luke Walton, Vladimir Radmanovic and Odom to divide minutes at small forward.
JSM

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Press Enterprise: The Lakers went to work on defensive fundamentals Thursday during the first of two-a-day practices at Stan Sheriff Center.

Lakers coach Phil Jackson said their principles are to get back "in order," prevent fast breaks, stay in front of the basketball to stop penetration, challenge shots and defensive rebound to eliminate second-chances points.

"That's what we want to do," Jackson said. "In the process of getting that accomplished, is how active we want to be. We worked on activity this morning ... getting guys comfortable with their rotations so that they can get active and rotate with an understanding of where to go and how to get it accomplished."

Jackson said they changed their defensive philosophy this season, going away from a switching defense and having their big men stand back on screens set on the outside.

He'll ask his centers, Kwame Brown, Andrew Bynum and Chris Mihm, to step out and show more on defense.

Bynum, because of his 7-foot frame and long wingspan, is better at blocking shots. Brown, because of his quickness and athleticism, is better at stepping out on screens and recovering. Mihm, because of his athleticism, is good at blocking shots and stepping out.

On Vlad
Press Enterprise: "He still has a ways to feel comfortable in our offense," Jackson said. "He's still not finding out exactly where 'my shots are going to come from.' So we're working on that with him."
JSM

Postby KB24 on Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:46 pm

In theory, five chickens with their heads cut off sound as if they could play some disruptive full-court defense. In reality, the Lakers have realized it's just foul.

:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

Sasha is sure the leader of this group...with reach ins 30 feet away from the hoop

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby crucifixion on Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:00 pm

He concluded he must just be “crafty enough,” because if his right hand is as bad as everyone says, then why is he “a hell of a dribbler”? I countered by suggesting to him that maybe his right hand is really quite good then — and maybe he should be scoring all the time with it.

It seemed to be a new idea for him to contemplate and he nodded several times and said: “Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Hell, yeah.”

I don't know if Odom gets it...hopefully he does. I guess when people tell him to use his right hand more he just thinks they mean to dribble up the court using the right hand...in reality what I'd want is for him to finish with his right hand because there have been so many times he's gone to the hoop but blows it because he is shooting left handed layup and the angle is all wrong....if he does right, then defenders won't play him to drive right, instead play him straight up, which will open more opportunities for him.
Odom Light: Less filling, Wastes great
crucifixion

Postby Q Deezy on Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:06 pm

crucifixion wrote:

I don't know if Odom gets it...hopefully he does. I guess when people tell him to use his right hand more he just thinks they mean to dribble up the court using the right hand...in reality what I'd want is for him to finish with his right hand because there have been so many times he's gone to the hoop but blows it because he is shooting left handed layup and the angle is all wrong....if he does right, then defenders won't play him to drive right, instead play him straight up, which will open more opportunities for him.

:man10:...your right. He doesn't get it. Why would you purposely ignore what your coaches tell you and say, " we'll I'm this good with only my left what does that say about me?" bit. You can dribble with your right hand? Your a good ball handler? uuuugh! :bang: Practice SHOOTING!! He could be such a good player but remarks like this show me he doesn't really care.
Q Deezy

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13