10/5: Training Camp News for Day 4

10/5: Training Camp News for Day 4

Postby THE_DAGGER on Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:21 am

http://www.sgvtribune.com/sports/ci_7100195

Bynum's best: Teenage center Andrew Bynum had his best day of practice so far, Jackson said.

Kwame Brown (ankle and shoulder) and Chris Mihm (ankle) are coming back from offseason surgeries, which probably helped to make Bynum stand out.

Bynum dunked over Mihm to cap one possession near the end of a scrimmage. He also swished a right-handed hook shot over a pack of defenders on another, prompting Jackson to shout, "Nice, Andrew."

"It was probably his best day," Jackson said. "We started to run some plays to feature our post players, so there was an ample opportunity to kind of explore it. He had Kwame out there on him, and he had Chris out there on him today, so both of them competed against him."
THE_DAGGER

Location: Pittsburg, CA (yes, without the "h" and yes, in CA)

Postby JSM on Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:08 am

LA Daily News: Two years ago, Walton tore his hamstring during training camp and was forced to sit out the first few weeks of the regular season. So he was taking no chances when he felt his hamstring tighten Friday.

"When I pulled it a couple of years ago, I just figured it was tight," Walton said. "I kept playing and that's when I tore it. So when I came in today, they said to calm it down. I can feel it just standing here. It's like a knot."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby BDG on Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:10 am

Isn't this the 3rd time Luke's injured his hamstring in training camp? I know it happened once before at least.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby mrand on Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:02 am

is it just me or shouldn't it be an ordinary thing that a head coach gives props to his young promising talent?

yes, i know phil ain't no usual coach, he tends to play mind games, is into that zen stuff and things like that.

BUT we aren't talking about a veteran who knows how to handle less support by his own coach. i guess coaches like byron scott, mike brown, lawrence frank etc. are much more suportive towards young players, cheering for them and giving them props when props are due.

i know phil wants to get the best out of drew and probably uses this to motivate him and wants to see if drew has "it", but sometimes i wonder if drew is able to really like phil. during their first years in la, we all know kobe and phil hadn't that that good of a relation (phil regreted it later to be too shaq-sided).

or maybe i just interpret too much into things after months without laker ball...
comes playoff time... comes laker time....
mrand
Contributing Member

Postby LkrsOvrMia on Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:09 am

BDG wrote:Isn't this the 3rd time Luke's injured his hamstring in training camp? I know it happened once before at least.

I believe so. I hope this injury doesn't linger.

This may open the door for Karl!
"Why can't America realize that falling in love with Kobe doesn't mean breaking up with Michael?" Rick Reilly

Bryant, who will be representing Team USA for the first time, told Gasol: "Being that we lost this series, you (guys) have no chance at a gold medal. I ain't goin' 0 for 2, homie."
LkrsOvrMia

Location: "Sittin' on top of the world with my legs hanging free." -Dave Matthews

Postby Laker Jam on Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:03 pm

mrand wrote:is it just me or shouldn't it be an ordinary thing that a head coach gives props to his young promising talent?

yes, i know phil ain't no usual coach, he tends to play mind games, is into that zen stuff and things like that.

BUT we aren't talking about a veteran who knows how to handle less support by his own coach. i guess coaches like byron scott, mike brown, lawrence frank etc. are much more suportive towards young players, cheering for them and giving them props when props are due.

i know phil wants to get the best out of drew and probably uses this to motivate him and wants to see if drew has "it", but sometimes i wonder if drew is able to really like phil. during their first years in la, we all know kobe and phil hadn't that that good of a relation (phil regreted it later to be too shaq-sided).

or maybe i just interpret too much into things after months without laker ball...

Doesn't really matter if Andrew likes Phil. All I know is that whatever they're doing, even considering Kobe's summer tirade, has motivated Andrew the past 2 summers to really work hard to become the best player he can be.

Why question what has clearly continued to motivate the boy.
Laker Jam

Postby LakerFan4L1fe24 on Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:04 pm

I cant wait for the season to start, I think this will be Bynums breakout season
LakerFan4L1fe24

Postby KB24 on Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:07 pm

LakerFan4L1fe24 wrote:I cant wait for the season to start, I think this will be Bynums breakout season

ya I have the same feeling as well...he will come out with a vengeance...might fade a little after the all-star game but he should come out firing...

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby pureuncut100 on Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:39 pm

If AI is "the answer", Andrew Bynum has to be "the Key", both figuratively and literally. It is good to hear he is doing well because he is the key to every aspect of the Lakers future.

If Bynum is good, Kobe stays and all trade talk is off. If Bynum looks to be only a mediocre player then Odom and Bynum will be gone. IF Bynum looks like a bum then the team gets overhauled. Either way, ANdrew Bynum is the key to everything no matter how you work it. Its a hell of a lot of weight on a 19 year olds shoulders.
pureuncut100

Postby JSM on Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:01 pm

OC Register: Last season, Jackson envisioned Walton, with his knack for team play, anchoring the Lakers' second unit. But Vladimir Radmanovic never earned a starting spot and Walton emerged. When asked if Jackson wants Walton to be his reserve anchor again, Jackson replied: "Sure do. I know that we have to have starters coming off the bench to be a good team."

So even though Radmanovic (who signed a five-year, $30 million deal in July 2006) and Walton (who signed a six-year, $30 million deal in July) are around, it is Turiaf (making $770,610 this season) about whom Jackson said, "I plan on starting him."

Added Jackson: "He's a guy who can bring energy to the game and the kind of start we need to have in kind of a physical front."

Turiaf said he boosted his confidence over the summer playing for the French national team, and Jackson said Turiaf is "playing really well now." Turiaf worked extensively on his offensive game over the summer, but he knows he could offer the Lakers a tougher edge to start games.

Walton likely would be on the floor down the stretch, even if he doesn't start. But the Lakers would like to limit Walton to about 30 minutes per game given his history of injuries. He strained his right hamstring Friday but exited practice immediately instead of risking a tear like the one he had in 2005.

"We do know who the toilet-tissue-paper players are," Jackson said, alluding to breakability. "We make a note of that. And right now we've got a few of them. With Luke's attrition, he always seems to miss the regular season because of a training-camp injury. We hope we averted it this time."

NOTES

Kobe Bryant sat out the end of the practice Friday because of discomfort in his twice-repaired right knee, but he said he was fine. … About Andrew Bynum, Jackson said: "You can really tell the difference in his conditioning to this point."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13