10/2/07 Training Camp Report: Opening Day

10/2/07 Training Camp Report: Opening Day

Postby BDG on Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:22 pm

HONOLULU -- The Lakers began training camp in a dim high school gym, but tucked away in a corner, under a series of championship banners for high-school kayaking and paddling, General Manager Mitch Kupchak offered a season outlook that was comparatively bright.

A few minutes before boarding the unusual Lakers team bus -- stenciled on the side: "Polynesian Adventure Tours" -- Kupchak said that unsuccessful attempts to land a big name to go alongside Kobe Bryant were not disappointments, and, furthermore, the Lakers might be better than anticipated.

The Lakers aren't on anybody's short list to win the NBA title, which was duly, if not defensively, noted by Kupchak, entering his eighth season since taking over for Jerry West.

"We think this team, if they stay healthy, is a very talented team," he said crisply. "Expectations aren't very high. That's OK with me. All I keep on reading is that we're not a very good team. So if that's what everybody thinks, then fine. It's up to us to prove them wrong."

The roster has changed slightly since the Lakers lost in five games to Phoenix in the first round of the playoffs. Georgia Tech guard Javaris Crittenton was drafted, Chris Mihm and Luke Walton were re-signed, and Derek Fisher fell into the Lakers' laps to take the place of disgruntled Smush Parker.

There was a big push to pry Kevin Garnett from Minnesota, and there were talks with Indiana about Jermaine O'Neal, but nothing came of it, other than a series of headlines about trade discussions.

"We don't want to get into a situation where we feel there's pressure to make a deal just to make a deal, so we've been really patient in that regard," Kupchak said. "In terms of being disappointed, no, we're not disappointed."

Click here to read more
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby LaLaKeRz4LiFe on Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:36 pm

Could you post the whole thing cuz it asks me to register.
LaLaKeRz4LiFe

Postby BDG on Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:43 pm

It's only proper for us to post excerpts.

Try this: www.bugmenot.com :man12:
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby LaLaKeRz4LiFe on Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:44 pm

BDG wrote:It's only proper for us to post excerpts.

Try this: www.bugmenot.com :man12:
Haha, alright, thx for the link. :jam2:
LaLaKeRz4LiFe

Postby ladam24 on Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:20 am

Yes, been waiting all day for this. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Do we have pics yet?
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Re: 10/2/07 Training Camp Report: Opening Day

Postby Radner on Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:24 am

"We don't want to get into a situation where we feel there's pressure to make a deal just to make a deal, so we've been really patient in that regard," Kupchak said. "In terms of being disappointed, no, we're not disappointed."

Kupchak is never disappointed and that is an occuring problem with him.
Radner

Re: 10/2/07 Training Camp Report: Opening Day

Postby KB24 on Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:27 am

JKsnoots wrote:

Kupchak is never disappointed and that is an occuring problem with him.

exactly what I wanted to say :mad1: :bang:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby NY_Laker_Fan on Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:13 am

I hate to sound like a Mitch apologist but ....

exactly what do you want him to say????

"Yeah ... it has been a tough off-season. No one will deal with us and can ya blame them? No one wants to help us get back on top. <Heavy Sigh> We really have a shltty team outside of Kobe and Lamar ... when he's healthy. Hell ... if it wasn't for the need to put fanny's in the seats ... we'd be better off just going through the motions this year and finishing in the lottery. At least then we'd have a chance to add someone who could actually help this pathetic excuse for a title contender."

:bang:
NY_Laker_Fan

Postby Alpha on Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:30 pm

^I know there is not much else Mitch could have said in this situation but... what most of us are tired of is that he always seems to put himself in "this situation"... :bang:

I actually quoted the same exerpt as the others...

Mitch's MO is to not take any risks and be patient to a fault... thus nothing significant is usually done (unless it falls into his lap).
Alpha

Postby girlsfavtoy on Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:58 pm

Great... more if we're healthy statements... That's his mo.

If a great trades comes along.
If we're healthy.
If we had a magic wand.

Tired..
Kobe -- Only professional Athelete ever to lose to a retard.
girlsfavtoy

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:08 pm

OC Register: Jackson's first team Tuesday was Bryant, Chris Mihm, Derek Fisher, Luke Walton and Ronny Turiaf in Odom's spot. The second team was Sasha Vujacic, Bynum, Jordan Farmar, Maurice Evans and Vladimir Radmanovic alternating with Brian Cook.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:13 pm

LA Daily News: Forward Lamar Odom participated in roughly half of the workout Tuesday, testing his surgically repaired left shoulder. He has not been cleared for contact drills and it could be a while before he can participate in an entire practice.

"It was cool," Odom said. "Got a little sweat in. Feels good being an athlete again.

I'm not rushing at all. I can shoot from in close. I worked on my right hand a little bit. For a guy who people say can't use his right hand, I'm a hell of a dribbler. I guess I'm crafty enough to rabbit punch. I was doing little drills using both hands. I will not, I will not, I will not come close to contact yet."

Center Andrew Bynum wasn't expected to be on the floor for the opening day of training camp because he had strained a muscle behind his right knee.

But he joined his teammates and worked out without pain.
JSM

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:20 pm

Press Enterprise: Perhaps the most intriguing battle for a starting spot is at center, as Brown, Andrew Bynum and Chris Mihm are competing for a job that Coach Phil Jackson said is open.

Bynum practiced Tuesday despite a strained tendon above his right calf, along with Mihm, who is getting over right ankle surgery.

But Brown, recovering from surgeries on his right shoulder and right ankle, was limited, and so Jackson took a shot at him.

"Chris looked great today. Andrew looked good today," Jackson said. "Kwame is looking great. Have you seen him? ... Yeah, he cut his hair. He looks great."

Lamar Odom, recovering from a torn labrum in his left shoulder, participated in some of the training camp at Iolani High School.
JSM

Postby Weezy on Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:02 pm

[For a guy who people say can't use his right hand, I'm a hell of a dribbler.

:mhihi:

"Chris looked great today. Andrew looked good today," Jackson said. "Kwame is looking great. Have you seen him? ... Yeah, he cut his hair. He looks great."

:man10: Classic PJ, always taking shots at Kwame.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kurt Rambis on Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:22 pm

Meow!
I play hard and respect the game. I got your back too
Kurtano FTL :disagree:
:phone: me if your curious about the RAINBOW
Kurt Rambis

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13