10/1: Training Camp Reports - Day 2

10/1: Training Camp Reports - Day 2

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:48 pm

Ramona Shelburne of the LA Daily News Blog wrote:
Sasha Vujacic went down with an ankle injury in last night's evening practice and is officially day-to-day, though judging by the way he was getting around the team's practice facility in El Segundo this afternoon, the injury doesn't appear to be serious.

``I just got done with my second treatment of the day. I'll do another one later. So hopefully I can get back out there soon,'' Vujacic said.

Vujacic was injured during a collision with teammate DJ Mbenga, who he said ``was trying to take a charge'' but ``was totally moving.'' Mbenga, who was within earshot of Vujacic's conversation with reporters, had little sympathy. He just laughed, used his hand to dismiss Vujacic's ribbing, and walked out the door.

A couple minutes later, Lamar Odom joined in.

A reporter asked Odom how Sasha got hurt, and Odom, ever-ready with a quick comeback (especially for Sasha), said, ``Probably tanning or something.''
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: 10/1: Training Camp Reports - Day 2

Postby SCOOTERP10 on Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:58 pm

Odom is awsome
SCOOTERP10

Bynum Still Feeling 100%

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:05 pm

Ty Nowell of Lakers.com wrote:Through three practice the only comment Andrew Bynum has on the stability of his surgically repaired knee is that it’s fine.

“Not even thinking about it. It’s 100% still. I haven’t had any pain or anything like that. The only thing I do have to do is design a better brace because it keeps kind of sliding down. It’s kind of annoying,” said the Lakers big man after today’s morning session. “I don’t have any fear anymore. If feels stronger. It feels better than last year. I don’t have any fear at all.”

Head Coach Phil Jackson characterized Bynum as “tired” during practice, but Andrew views that as Jackson trying to keep him motivated. “He always says that. When has he not said that. I think it’s just a little bit of a motivating factor to kind of keep me going.”

A major focus of training camp will be integrating the low post presence of Bynum with fellow seven-footer Pau Gasol. So far the two have been finding it easy to co-exist down low. “I feel comfortable. I haven’t really gotten a chance to play too much with Pau but for the most part it’s pretty cool,” commented Bynum. “We just kind of flip-flop. If he gets the rebound then I’ll sprint out. If I get the rebound he sprints out.”

Expectations for the 20-year old Center are high after last season’s breakout effort, but Bynum seems to be the one aiming the highest. “For me it’s just that I want to be the best player I can be. I want to be an All-Star. Try to be a 20 and 10 player. It’s kind of tough in the West, but I think I’ll be able to do it.”
JSM

Phil Jackson Practice Notes

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:11 pm

Ty Nowell of Lakers.com wrote:* When asked about Andrew Bynum’s performance so far Phil replied “Don’t ask”, but eventually elaborated (slightly) by saying “I thought Andrew was tired today so I don’t want to say anything about it.”

* Although the Lakers are currently running two-a-day practices, by league mandate they are only allowed three and a half hours of actual practice time with contact. The rest of the time is used learning offensive patterns, defensive slide drills and conditioning. Phil mentioned that he wouldn’t mind having one long session, but the team’s fitness level isn’t up to that right now.

* Trevor Ariza’s jump shot is being described by Jackson as adequate. “I don’t think anybody’s going to consider him a threat. I think he’s got an adequate jump shot that can keep people honest with it. I’m impressed with his abilities to make the jump shot. However, that’s not the strength of his game. His game’s going to be getting out there, being a slasher.”

* On Josh Powell: “He’s impressed us a lot. He’s coming in playing hard. He’s got a lot of tenacity. He refuses to be boxed out. You’ve got to really put an effort into keeping him off the boards. He’s creating a lot of problems with our big guys, they know they’ve got a tiger down there after the rebound. He seems to have an idea of what we’re trying to do even though he’s only been here for one day. He seems relatively comfortable playing in our offense.”
JSM

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:29 pm

Great news about Powell. I liked how many boards he averaged last year in such minimal time on the court. He could be a nice guy for our squad that will do the dirty work.
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby BDG on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:57 pm

Bynum interview from Lakers.com
Download

Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:29 pm

I love Bynum's confidence in his legs, and I love that DJ /Sasha/ Odom thing, it shows good camaraderie.

But I especially loved hearing about Powell. It's important that he fills, and hopefully expands upon Ronny's presence.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby GinoDB on Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:11 pm

sounds like the Sasha ankle thing is nothing to worry about since they are just joking around about it
GinoDB

Postby StudentOfTheGame on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:58 pm

When Powell was out there playing for the Clips against us i thought he played exactly as that article describes. He wont bring that goofy energy that Ronny brought, but this guy in the end may be better for us than Ronny.

I'm excited to see how he does defensively. With our offense and his ability to rebound the points will come his way. A defensive back up PF with a good ability to box out and get key defensive rebounds.... :man13:
StudentOfTheGame

Postby mporter0823 on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:58 pm

I loved the quotes about Powell...tenacity, refuses to be boxed out...exactly what this team was lacking with the loss of Turiaf.
mporter0823

Calm Day

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:35 pm

Ramona Shelburne of the LA Daily News wrote:After sorting though a little back-and-forth between Lamar Odom and coach Phil Jackson over Jackson's idea of having Odom come off the bench this season, it was a relatively calm day at the Lakers camp. The team practiced for approximately two hours, then broke for the afternoon, and will reconvene for a (closed) evening session.

Rookie Sun Yue (mononucleosis) is out for at least a week, Luke Walton (ankle) practiced hard enough to work up a full sweat, but did not take part in full 5-on-5 drills, and Andrew Bynum (knee) proclaimed himself "100 percent."
JSM

Lakers' Trevor Ariza is staying out of the storm

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:36 pm

Broderick Turner of the LA Times wrote:Quietly, Trevor Ariza stayed away from the storm created when Lakers Coach Phil Jackson said last week that Ariza could start this season at small forward in place of Lamar Odom.

While Odom voiced his unhappiness during the first two days of training camp over the possibility of being a reserve player, Ariza has gone about his business of playing basketball, leaving the melodrama to Odom and Jackson.

Whether he's a starter, sixth man or the last player off the bench, Ariza just wants to contribute.

"I haven't had no conversation with Phil about that," Ariza said. "I really don't care. I'm here to play basketball. Whether I start, come off the bench, whatever role I play, that's what I'm going to do. I'm not going to stress over it. L.O. is a great player too."

Jackson suggested the starting lineup could change if the big frontline of Odom, Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum doesn't produce the desired results.

The 6-foot-8 Ariza, known as a slasher and defensive player, could then get the nod from Jackson.

"I'm very proud that he feels that way about me," Ariza said. "I'm not just going to be over-excited. It's just basketball. I know he thinks a lot of me as a person. ... Everybody wants to play. Everybody wants to be a starter, be an All-Star, be whatever, be the best that they can be. That's what I'm trying to do."

Ariza was acquired in a trade with Orlando last November. He missed four months as a Laker during the regular season recovering from a fractured right foot, but he returned for the Western Conference finals.

Ariza, a local kid who went to Westchester High and UCLA, spent the summer working on his game and getting his foot healthy.

"All summer I've been working toward getting my foot back in shape, getting my health all together," he said. "I'm finally 100 percent. I'm ready to go."

In 24 games last season with the Lakers, Ariza averaged 6.5 points, 3.5 rebounds and showed that he was a strong defender.

After the season, Jackson implored Ariza to work on his jump shot.

Three days into camp, Jackson described Ariza's jumper.

"I don't think anybody is going to consider him a threat. I think he's got an adequate jump shot, and he can keep people honest," Jackson said today after practice. "However, that's not the strength of his game. His game is going to be getting out there and slashing (to the basket)."

Ariza is in the last year of a contract that pays him $3.1 million this season.

In many ways, he is showcasing his skills to the basketball world with the intentions of getting a big payday.

"I'm not going to worry about this being the last year of my contract," Ariza said. "I know I'm young, 23 years old. I've got a lot of potential. I'm ready to show what I've been working on, show what I've been doing all summer. There's no pressure on me. I took all the pressure off this summer by working on my game."
JSM

Re: Phil Jackson Practice Notes

Postby ZenMaster4President on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:40 pm

Ty Nowell of Lakers.com wrote:* Although the Lakers are currently running two-a-day practices, by league mandate they are only allowed three and a half hours of actual practice time with contact. The rest of the time is used learning offensive patterns, defensive slide drills and conditioning. Phil mentioned that he wouldn’t mind having one long session, but the team’s fitness level isn’t up to that right now.

:man3: :man3: :man3:
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby abeer3 on Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:03 am

phil sounded displeased with bynum, quite frankly. maybe i'm reading between the lines too much, but i don't think the "tired" comment was meant as a motivator (as bynum suggests). i think pj thought he looked bad and was choosing to blame it on tired legs.
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:10 am

abeer3 wrote:phil sounded displeased with bynum, quite frankly. maybe i'm reading between the lines too much, but i don't think the "tired" comment was meant as a motivator (as bynum suggests). i think pj thought he looked bad and was choosing to blame it on tired legs.

eh, I wouldn't worry much about it. You can't look into anything PJ says because it's all geared to his own cause. I'm betting he was expecting more, and he DID want to motivate him to be a little closer to what Phil was expecting.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Got milk? Ariza does now

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:09 am

Janis Carr of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:Trevor Ariza hates milk. Never drank it as a child outside of what he poured on his breakfast cereal.

His mother tried to get him to drink more milk. He said he stayed away from it because he just doesn’t like the taste.

Ariza’s milk story is a cautionary tale. His lack of calcium, doctors have told him, led to a Vitamin D deficiency and ultimately to weak bones. It’s a key reason behind his fractured foot he suffered last season.

“The fourth metatarsal wasn’t as strong as it should have been,” Ariza said. “The doctors told me I had a bone deficiency, so I had to get my vitamin D up. I’ve been drinking a lot more milk. Still don’t like it though.”
JSM

Postby GinoDB on Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:19 pm

why doesn't he just drink chocolate milk?
GinoDB

Postby Schizophrenic on Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:19 pm

Dairy council steps back, shoots, and scores..

Ugh, milk not really the greatest thing for strong bones. Those advertisements are one step short of outright lies.
Schizophrenic

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13