10/3: Training Camp Reports - Day 4

10/3: Training Camp Reports - Day 4

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:50 pm

Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register Blog wrote: Sun Yue isn’t really ready. Nevertheless, he’s ready to go.

Sun, the Lakers’ rookie from China who came down with mononucleosis, shot baskets in a grouping with fellow point guards Jordan Farmar, Derek Fisher and Brandon Heath and came off the court looking weary but at least having something accomplished.

“The doctor said I’m just recovered, so I still need a lot of time to rest, but I don’t want to miss much in camp,” Sun said. “So I come here and see what I can do.”

Given that Sun is expected to make the roster, it’s something that he pushed through his weakness at least to put in an appearance as soon as possible. He acknowledged the timing of his illness was ““bad luck,” but he said: “Things happen. The only thing I can do is face it.”

Lakers coach Phil Jackson said he’ll take it slowly with Sun, though: “Little bit by little bit, and see how he goes.”
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: 10/3: Training Camp Reports - Day 4

Postby GinoDB on Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:52 pm

good for him, seems like he has the desire to play and improve , thats a good sign.
GinoDB

Sun Yue Back at Practice

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:10 pm

Ty Nowell of Lakers.com wrote:Sun ran a little bit, but said he still felt a little weak after not being able to do any physical activity over the past week.

Having Yue in camp, even on a limited basis, gives the coaching staff a chance to get to know his game and evaluate what they have.

“He’s a talented young guy and has drawn the attention of our crack scouts and personnel people so we want to see what kind of evaluation they gave him. How he fits in our system,” Head Coach Phil Jackson said.

Download

JSM

Phil Jackson Practice Notes

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:12 pm

Ty Nowell of Lakers.com wrote:
* Although Pau had a busy summer schedule with the Olympics he isn’t in peak physical shape like Kobe Bryant. “When he took off, he took off,” said Phil Jackson. “He needs the conditioning work, but he doesn’t need to grind it out. We’ll have another break for him soon.” Gasol was sat down for most of yesterday’s morning session, but was back at it this morning.

* Luke Walton has been getting a lot done in the morning non-contact sessions, but is still not 100%. “He’s got a little twinge when he comes to a stop and has to make turns off of it or brace bodies in contact areas. I think he’s pretty close to stepping it up. Maybe early next week he’ll start to be able to do somethings.”

* In previous years Jackson has leaned on Walton to play a variety of roles, something that Walton excels at because of his high basketball IQ. This year with so many options at small forward would Jackson utilize Walton less? “I don’t know. We really have to see how this team’s going to fit together. That’s really one of the things that makes basketball interesting, the chemistry that makes the game right. It’s not like baseball where you just plug somebody in a spot and he goes out and pitches.”

Download

JSM

Post-Olympics, Pau Gasol feeling refreshed

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:45 pm

Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:The thing you’ve got to remember about Pau Gasol is that he’s used to dealing with a trying international schedule besides NBA play. What he’s dealing with after the Olympics and entering this Lakers season isn’t really much compared to recent years.

Last year it was even tougher for him to gear up for the NBA season because he had only two weeks off after the 2007 FIBA Eurobasket tournament ended. (Gasol helped Spain to the championship game but shot 3 of 12 from the field and 5 of 12 from the foul line in a 60-59 loss for host Spain to Russia in the final.) The 2006 Eurobasket tournament ended with Spain on top because of tourney MVP Gasol, but he hurt his foot and wound up needing the next four months to recover.

This time, he had a month and a week of idle time after the Olympics ended with Spain’s championship loss to Team USA.

“So that’s a positive,” Gasol said.

Gasol said his trainers told him to rest for 16 days after the Olympics before he began “specific work” to strengthen his ankle, knee, back and shoulder. So he lost his conditioning, which Phil Jackson said needs to be rebuilt, but Gasol likes where his body is.

“I feel good now,” he said.
JSM

The New Ronny?

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:11 pm

Ramona Shelburne of the LA Daily News Blog wrote:He's quieter. A lot quieter.

And he's not big on dancing along the sidelines, or pounding his chest.

But as far as energy, rebounding, hustle and defense, the Lakers may just have found a pretty good replacement for Ronny Turiaf in the form of free agent forward Josh Powell.

Even coach Phil Jackson, who has never had much of a taste for bursts of excessive praise, seems impressed with the way the 6-foot-9 former Clipper has played during the first week of training camp.

``He seems to have an idea of what we're trying to do even though he's been here (this week). He seems relatively comfortable playing in our offense,'' Jackson said this week. ``He's creating a lot of problems with our big guys. They know they've got a tiger down there after the rebound.''

Powell says he's just playing the way he always has, and tried to downplay the comparisons to Turiaf, but outside of their personalities (Turiaf is one of the league's loudest characters, Powell is decidedly more reserved), the similarities are striking ... from their style of play, jersey number (No. 21) to their hair styles.

``I just try to work hard defensively, to rebound, hustle and do all the little things that make a different,'' Powell said. ``I'm not trying to be Ronny (who signed a four-year, $17 million contract with Golden State in the offseason). Ronny's in a different area code now, a different place. I'm here and I'm just trying to be me.''

One thing that's helped Powell make the quick transition is his familiarity with the triangle offense. He made a point of brushing up on it over the summer, sitting down with game tapes and studying them.

``I've been trying to get a feel of what's needed from me,'' Powell said. ``It's been going good. I think I'm picking it up quickly.''

Powell signed a partially-guaranteed contract in the offseason.
JSM

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:23 pm

So far I have to say that I absolutely LOVE this team's attitude. When every player is willing to do what is needed of them, and they don't push their own agendas, The team has the opportunity to mold and form not only well, but easily.

I admire Sun's attempt to get back out there, it shows he's willing to push through pain and wants to play. I also can't stop loving what I'm hearing about Powell. He may not be the loud, comedic player that Ronny provided, but he may be the dark horse willing to bang and bump. I'm also happy that Walton is making progress. If he gets well enough to be play for us, then great, If he gets well enough we can find a way to trade him, even better.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Gasol’s Post-Olympic Break

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:38 pm

Ty Nowell of Lakers.com wrote:Although he had a jam packed summer of NBA Finals and Olympic Games, Pau Gasol actually had more time off after his national team duties this year than last year.

“Last year actually I had only two weeks right after the European Championships. This year I had a month and a week. That’s a positive,” said Gasol after Friday morning’s practice session.

After the Olympics Pau took a full 16-days off on the advice of trainers. After that Gasol started working on specific parts of his body as he worked himself back into shape for the year.

Gasol’s first training camp as a Laker has allowed him to focus more on the details of the triangle offense and learn it’s intricacies.

Pau is focusing on the present but also looking down the road to what this team can ultimately accomplish. “Every year’s a different year and I think this year the main thing is that we’ve got to stay healthy and keep that aggressive and winning mentality every game. If we do that I think we can get really, really far,” Gasol said.

The comfort level between Gasol and fellow big man Andrew Bynum continues to improve as they share the court more and more. Both are learning how to play with another capable low post player on the floor. This includes knowing when to go for the defensive rebound and when to release down the floor. “That’s something we’re going to focus on and Phil mentioned it to us. Whoever doesn’t get the rebound sprints down the floor and get a good post position because we’re both pretty good post up players and can do a lot of damage in there.”

Download

JSM

Postby ZenMaster4President on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:47 pm

therealdeal wrote:So far I have to say that I absolutely LOVE this team's attitude. When every player is willing to do what is needed of them, and they don't push their own agendas, The team has the opportunity to mold and form not only well, but easily.

I admire Sun's attempt to get back out there, it shows he's willing to push through pain and wants to play. I also can't stop loving what I'm hearing about Powell. He may not be the loud, comedic player that Ronny provided, but he may be the dark horse willing to bang and bump. I'm also happy that Walton is making progress. If he gets well enough to be play for us, then great, If he gets well enough we can find a way to trade him, even better.

Although he will never get credit for it, Kobe is to praise. That is the proverbial "making his teammates better" in action. He is respected enough that even newcomers buy into it. Some might say that other just have a good work ethics... I say that I were the one who comes to play with Kobe Bryant - I would try even harder.
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:54 pm

ZenMaster4President wrote:
therealdeal wrote:So far I have to say that I absolutely LOVE this team's attitude. When every player is willing to do what is needed of them, and they don't push their own agendas, The team has the opportunity to mold and form not only well, but easily.

Although he will never get credit for it, Kobe is to praise. That is the proverbial "making his teammates better" in action. He is respected enough that even newcomers buy into it. Some might say that other just have a good work ethics... I say that I were the one who comes to play with Kobe Bryant - I would try even harder.

I think its a combination. Kobe is obviously a basketball force of nature and any respectable player would want to play with him, but I also think this particular group of young men just recognize their opportunity and want to make the most of their luck.

of course that being said... If i were trying out for KOBE BRYANT'S team... I'd work my f**king a** off :mhihi:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ras Algethi on Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:49 pm

I love hearing this:

One thing that's helped Powell make the quick transition is his familiarity with the triangle offense. He made a point of brushing up on it over the summer, sitting down with game tapes and studying them.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Joe_Blow on Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:19 pm

two0one7 wrote:I love hearing this:

Yup,

Hearing about all these guys... Powell watching film, Trevor working on his game, Sasha overworking, Drew working like a madman, Farmar being a gym rat, even Vlade supposedly worked on things that need improving... it's like guys know it's "serious" now.

What a wonderful thing it is to be done with the Kwame/Smush/Mihm "take the summer easy" mindset.

One funny thing... you can hear in Luke's words that he knows he screwed up. Coming into camp last season out of shape after relaxing all off-season probably helped bring on the injury (over stressing early since he was so out'a shape). Now, this summer, he was just chompin' at the bit to get to work but couldn't. Karma!
Joe_Blow

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:18 am

Funny that we're talking about team attitude and how much everyone is lovin' it and yet, not to bring it up in yet another thread but I'm hating LO's attitude. He has the opportunity to make for a sick 3 big man rotation with Gasol and Bynum and he bristles at the idea of coming off the bench. If Ariza and Powell can bring it this year we may not miss LO if he's traded or let expire. Powell might make up for the rebounding and Ariza with good D and opportunistic scoring.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13