10/5: Training Camp Reports - Day 6

10/5: Training Camp Reports - Day 6

Postby JSM on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:55 am

Art Thompson III of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:Double your pleasure, double your fun.

Instead of toiling through a two-a-day session of workouts Sunday, the Lakers were given a respite from practice, as head coach Phil Jackson made the announcement at 9 a.m.

So, it turned into a day of leisure for the 19-man training camp roster although not surprisingly, a group of players chose to put in some work, either in the weight room or on the court shooting.

The day off, however, was a welcome treat because Jackson - like the majority of NBA coaches - makes good use of the limited number of two-a-day sessions allowed, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement between the league and the NBA Players Association.

Teams that conduct two-a-day practices only are allowed to conduct contact in one of those practices. Typically, teams use the morning workout for drills and instruction, and the evening practice to scrimmage.

“They really serve a purpose because it’s a mental toughning more than it’s physically demanding,” Jackson said.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: 10/5: Training Camp Reports - Day 6

Postby therealdeal on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:58 am

I wonder who stayed behind and who left?...
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nicehair911 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:30 am

therealdeal wrote:I wonder who stayed behind and who left?...

I bet you anything Odom left. :mad1:
nicehair911

Location: Wit so much drama in da LBC it's kinda hard bein Snoop D-O double G

Postby Fly Like A Mosquito Bite on Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:31 am

Left: Lamar Odom
Stayed: Everyone else.
Fly Like A Mosquito Bite

Postby JSM on Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:33 am

I would imagine the injured guys left -- Luke, Sasha, and Yue.

Wouldn't surprise me if Fish and Pau left per Phil's request, because he wants them to take it easy.

And I'd bet the bank that LO was the first one out the door.
JSM

Day of rest

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:46 am

Mike Bresnahan and Broderick Turner of the LA Times wrote:Coach Phil Jackson gave the team a break during training camp, letting them stay home Sunday, the final day of two-a-day practices.

Jackson indicated Saturday he was happy with the players' efforts, particularly in a Friday night scrimmage.

"Everybody worked hard," he said. "My coaches felt that 'Drew [Bynum]played the best that he's performed all week, at least hustle-wise.

"The first unit felt very confident and played well together. Pau [Gasol], particularly, had an impressive practice. His rhythm is there because he's been playing. He just kept it up."

The day off was a tad too late for some players.

After Saturday's morning practice, Odom sauntered up to Jackson and asked if players could skip the night practice.

Jackson smiled, put his hand on Odom's shoulder and said, "No."

Odom smiled back.

"I had to ask," said Odom, a big baseball fan who wanted to watch the Dodgers-Cubs game. "I was just looking out for my guys."
JSM

Two-a-days haze

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:49 am

Mike Bresnahan and Broderick Turner of the LA Times wrote:Overall, Jackson seemed pleased with what he witnessed in training camp.

Odom was unhappy with the possibility of being a sixth man and Bynum looked tired for a day or two, but the positives outweighed the negatives in Jackson's eyes.

"They really serve a purpose because there is some mental toughening," Jackson said of two-a-days. "Physically, it's daunting . . . you can see players kind of hit the wall after two or three days.

"I had to encourage them. One of the things we talked about as a team was 'Don't take any days off at practices.' . . . I thought that they picked it up and had a terrific practice" Friday night.
JSM

Re: Two-a-days haze

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:14 am

JSM wrote:
Mike Bresnahan and Broderick Turner of the LA Times wrote:Overall, Jackson seemed pleased with what he witnessed in training camp.

Odom was unhappy with the possibility of being a sixth man and Bynum looked tired for a day or two, but the positives outweighed the negatives in Jackson's eyes.

"They really serve a purpose because there is some mental toughening," Jackson said of two-a-days. "Physically, it's daunting . . . you can see players kind of hit the wall after two or three days.

"I had to encourage them. One of the things we talked about as a team was 'Don't take any days off at practices.' . . . I thought that they picked it up and had a terrific practice" Friday night.

:jam2:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13