10/8: Training Camp Reports - Day 9

10/8: Training Camp Reports - Day 9

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:06 pm

Janis Carr of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:The Zen Master may have met his match.

Pau Gasol isn’t buying into Coach Phil Jackson’s subtle criticism of how he and Andrew Bynum are fared so far in preseason. Jackson described the tandem as “clumsy” when they have been on the court during practice.

While some players might be offended at such words, Gasol just laughs.

“Clumsy? I don’t know. Phil is a special guy. He has a special humor,” Gasol said after Tuesday’s exhibition opener. “You understand that (but) sometimes its hard to understand.

“But he likes to throw stuff out there, all kinds of stuff. so we have to move on from it, laugh, get a kick out of it and that’s about it.”

Gasol and Bynum didn’t get a chance to show off their twin tower capabilities after Gasol suffered a gash on his lower lip and didn’t play after the first five minutes.

“I like it. I think we have a lot of potential together,” Gasol said. “We still need to get used to that. Obviously having two bigs like we do, we gain some size, but we lose some speed as far as our system and our running.

“We are going to have to figure it out. We should be ok.”
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Odom belongs outside the box, not atop the triangle

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:07 pm

Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:There has been plenty of speculation that Phil Jackson is floating the idea of moving Lamar Odom or Andrew Bynum to the bench only so as to motivate Odom and Bynum to work harder to earn their spots. I don’t really believe that to be true in either case, although that could be the net effect in both cases.

I think a more likely mind game being played by Jackson is experimenting with Odom doing more of a ball-handling guard role right now just to give Odom the job he craves most — only to see that it’s not the best role for him and thus open his eyes to how good he could be as the sixth man getting a lot of touches at forward with point guard Jordan Farmar’s up-tempo second unit. Odom’s failures at guard in the exhibition opener Tuesday night were definitely a start in the sense of seeing that Odom fundamentally has limitations operating in the halfcourt.

Odom said he thought “it was cool” being the point-forward in the triangle Tuesday night, noting that he didn’t turn the ball over much. Lakers acting head coach Kurt Rambis, however, called Odom’s performance in that role “fair to middling, maybe poor.”
JSM

Phil Jackson returns

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:16 pm

Ramona Shelburne of the LA Daily News Blog wrote:After skipping last night's exhibition game versus the Utah Jazz, Lakers coach Phil Jackson was back at the team's practice facility Wednesday and well enough to put the team through an extended practice. Jackson said that the cause of the swelling and soreness in his lower legs is still ``mysterious'' and didn't commit to attending tommorrow night's exhibition against the Clippers in Fresno. A decision on whether Jackson will accompany the team on its flight to Fresno will be made in the morning, according to Lakers spokesman John Black.

Jackson appeared to be in good spirits Wednesday. He sat on a large, foam pad for most of practice --which isn't uncommon -- but walked over to the team afterwards and addressed them on the court.

``He was messing with me, poking fun at me, like he always does,'' Lakers guard Sasha Vujacic said. ``I thought that was a good sign.''
JSM

Lakers waive Dwayne Mitchell

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:18 pm

Ramona Shelburne of the LA Daily News Blog wrote:The Los Angeles Lakers waived free agent guard Dwayne Mitchell Wednesday afternoon.

Mitchell, a 6'5" 220-pound guard out of Louisiana Lafayette, was a member of the Lakers 2008 Summer-Pro League team in Las Vegas, where he averaged 6.7 points and 1.5 rebounds in 15.0 minutes over six games.

Mitchell practiced with the team on Wednesday morning and said that he was feeling good again after being limited for a few days with some soreness in his knee.

The Lakers roster now stands at 18.
JSM

Wednesday Practice Summary

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:26 pm

Mike Trudell of Lakers.com wrote:Which Laker do you think hit the game-winning shot in the final contest of five-on-five drills during Wednesday’s practice at L.A.’s facility?

Yup, it was Kobe.

For the first time this preseason, we watched the final 20 or so minutes of practice before hearing from a few of the guys and head coach Phil Jackson afterwards.

Quick teaser - Check back tomorrow to hear what Lamar Odom thinks about the WWE, 50 Cent mixed tapes and v-neck shirts. But until then, here’s a quick A through E summary from today:

A) Sasha Vujacic and Luke Walton both competed in practice, and both looked improved on their respectively hurt ankles. Vujacic in particular was moving quite well laterally and up-and-down, and told assembled media after practice that he would be with the team in Fresno on Thursday.

B) At the end of practice, the Lakers split up into three teams (purple, white and green) and played games to 15 by ones and twos (winner stayed). The purple team featured Bryant, Odom, Pau Gasol, Jordan Farmar and Vladimir Radmonivic, with Andrew Bynum rotating between the purples and the whites. That white team also included Vujacic, Trevor Ariza, Josh Powell and Brandon Heath, while the greens featured Walton, Coby Karl, D.J. Mbenga, Sun Yue and C.J. Giles. Needless to say, the purples won the two games we watched. Bryant’s game winner over the greens came from about 20 feet out with Sun defending.

C) Pau Gasol grabbed a mop to wipe some perspiration off the floor. That was fun.

D) If you had no idea who anyone was while watching a Lakers practice (like if you were from Wasilla), it would still take about 10 seconds to figure out who runs the show. It’s Kobe. Mentally, physically, vocally – Bryant sets the tone. And guess who won the wind sprints at the end of practice?

E) Videos of Jackson, Bynum and Vujacic after practice are available on lakers.com. The Lakers are in Fresno tomorrow to face the Clippers, and we’ll be there live with a running game diary. Later.
JSM

Jackson Returns to Practice

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:35 pm

Mike Trudell of Lakers.com wrote:Lakers head coach Phil Jackson returned to the team Wednesday after staying home during Tuesday night’s game in Anaheim. He could be heard throwing familiar barbs at Sasha Vujacic, Vladimir Radmonovic and Lamar Odom as the Lakers ran through drills at the home practice facility, and addressed assembled media afterwords.

“I was feeling all right,” Jackson said. “I just had some curious things going on that need to be watched.”

Jackson neglected to comment further on his situation, but said that he hopes to head to Fresno with the team tomorrow afternoon.

Audio: Download

JSM

Odds and Ends

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:33 pm

Ramona Shelburne of the LA Daily News Blog wrote: Sasha Vujacic (ankle) said that he wasn't sure if he'd accompany the team to Fresno for tonight's game. He took part in practice Wednesday, but said his ankle is still sore. ... Derek Fisher sat out a significant portion of Wednesday's practice, but was just being given some extra rest.
JSM

Bynum's Shoes

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:35 pm

Ramona Shelburne of the LA Daily News Blog wrote: No, this post isn't going to be all about Andrew Bynum's shoes. But it was kind of funny when he came out after practice wearing size 18 Uggs slippers.

Bynum left the Honda Center Tuesday night without speaking to reporters. No big deal. He's only 20 years old, after all. But still, inquiring minds wanted to know how his first game since mid-January felt.

``It felt great. It was definitely fun just to get back out there and play,'' Bynum said. ``I still haven't gotten to play with Pau (who only played a few minutes Tuesday). I'm looking forward to that. But all I can say is that in practice, when we're together, we haven't lost a game. ''

Then he offered his thoughts on why Lakers coach Phil Jackson was calling his interactions on the court with Gasol ``clumsy.''

``It is a little confusing sometimes. You have a guy who played 5 all last season and I've been playing the 5 here the last three years, so we run to same block sometimes,'' Bynum said. ``We just need to talk about how we're going to do things, as far as giving each other space, not crowding each other, not posting up on top of each other.''
JSM

Odom on his Curling Game?

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:12 am

JEFF EISENBERG of the Press Enterprise wrote: Odom scored three points and grabbed five rebounds in nearly 20 minutes against the Jazz, and the coaching staff was critical of his effort level running back on defense and his scoreless first half in which he did not have a field goal attempt. Informed of Jackson's "curling" barb, Odom fired back.

"I grew up playing football, basketball and baseball," Odom said. "If I looked like I was curling, then I must not have been doing something right."
JSM

You can’t spell “Fresno” without “no”

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:14 am

Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:So the Lakers always travel around California during the exhibition season and play in Las Vegas, too. This season there’s a game in Fresno (Thursday night vs. the Clippers).

It’s not exactly going to be a fan-friendly Lakers caravan through the little city.

The Lakers are doing the unheard of and conducting their game-day shootaround practice at home in El Segundo – not flying into Fresno for the 7 p.m. game until after working out at home. So they’ll basically get into Fresno, go play the game and hop a charter flight right back home afterward.

See ya, Fresno!
JSM

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13