10/16: Training Camp Reports - Day 17

10/16: Training Camp Reports - Day 17

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:34 pm

Ty Nowell of Lakers.com wrote:Yesterday’s Open Practice for Season Ticket Holders drew over 1,000 people as the team took the STAPLES Center court for the first time this season. Kevin Ding has some notes on the proceedings. While they’re not all great, don’t worry, it’s still early.

For head coach Phil Jackson the pre-season is about much more than wins and losses. It’s about figuring out what you have and how the rotations will shake out, something that will be tough to do until Sasha Vujacic returns. The gunner’s injury could mean that the Lakers go into the season carrying a full roster of 15 players. Joe Crawford is rumored to be leading the competition for that final spot.

Luke Walton is feeling great and said he plans to play in this weekend’s Shootout at STAPLES Center.

Kobe Bryant brushed off questions about him playing in Greece as “silly” and refused to answer anything about it… three times.

Today
Training Camp Day #17 = more practice. Another day of preparation at the team’s training facility. We’ll also have a couple new pieces up on the site.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Walton to be considered small before big

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:24 pm

Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:Phil Jackson still has no idea what his rotation will be for the regular season. Actually, he said he doesn’t even know what it’ll be for Saturday night and the exhibition against Regal FC Barcelona, when Luke Walton is expected to make his exhibition debut.

But with the glut of small forwards in mind, I asked Jackson if he is thinking of using Walton at power forward this season. Walton has played there at times in the past; he has also filled a guard role on rare occasions because he can handle the ball and knows the offense so well.

Jackson said he isn’t considering bumping Walton up to power forward, preferring to consider small forwards Lamar Odom and Vladimir Radmanovic for that duty ahead of Walton. Besides Pau Gasol, Jackson also mentioned trying to find some time for center Chris Mihm at power forward (he had the misfortune of matching up with Andrei Kirilenko when he tried that spot in the exhibition opener) and talked up youngster C.J. Giles, who came into camp as a long shot to make the team.

“We have this young kid who’s a bright player in C.J. Giles, and he’s a four,” Jackson said. “He doesn’t know the three spot at all. If Luke plays anyplace else, it’d probably be a guard spot before a power spot.”

Giles is a 6-foot-10, 220-pound rookie out of Oregon State, where he became eligible late last season after transferring from Kansas and played just 10 games last season. Walton, who is coming off surgery to clean out his right ankle, has had some moments of avoiding physical rebounding scenarios, Jackson said, but is clearly improving.

“Everything else has been really good,” Jackson said. “His shooting’s good, his movement, his passing, his team play.”
JSM

Talking contract

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:35 pm

Elliott Teaford of the LA Daily News Blog wrote:Andrew Bynum's agent said Thursday morning that he would be traveling to L.A. on Friday to speak with Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak about a new contract for his client. Bynum is signed with the Lakers through the end of the season, but is eligible for a five-year extension worth $88 million. The deadline to complete a deal is Oct. 31.

"We shall see," Lee told me when asked if he expects to get the deal done. "I'm not very optimistic, but you never know."
Lee also said he has had some "very, very, very brief" talks with Kupchak.

Bynum said after Thursday's practice that he understands it might take a while to get the deal done. He smiled and laughed and indicated he wasn't particularly concerned about the lack of progress thus far.
JSM

Jackson: Odom “Playing Well Now”

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:51 pm

Mike Trudell of Lakers.com wrote:

Phil Jackson changed his tune about Lamar Odom on Thursday from what had been a bad song (Crank That - Soldier Boy*) to a pleasant tune (Viva La Vida - Coldplay).
*Even though it was fun for a minute.

“(Odom’s) starting to get a feel for it,” Jackson said. “He’s starting to play basketball. He looks like he’s playing really well now. His timing is there, his reaction is there, his conditioning is getting better. All those things.”

Jackson saved his criticism of the day for Andrew Bynum, whom Phil said took a step backwards in practice yesterday by not really getting himself involved. Jackson added that he “didn’t know” if Bynum’s contract situation was on his mind.

After Phil was done, Bynum addressed the media and mentioned that he “doesn’t really think about (his contract),” giving the answer you’d expect to hear. Any type of contract question is usually going to render an answer such as that… But just to check, I said this:

“Basically, you just play well and play hard and things will take care of themselves?”

“Yes sir,” he responded.

Intent on jumping to something he’d rather talk about it, I pulled him aside and had him play “Would You Rather” with questions like: “Be able to communicate with animals or be able to read women’s minds.” Then I had Jordan Farmar answer the same questions - check back tomorrow for their answers.
JSM

Walton at guard???

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:47 pm

Elliott Teaford of the LA Daily News Blog wrote:Phil Jackson suggested he might play forward Luke Walton at guard in upcoming exhibitions. Walton has yet to play in an exhibition after undergoing left ankle surgery during the summer. He is not averse to the idea, willing to play anywhere at any time.

"We're loaded all over the court, at every position," Walton said. "We have versatile people who can play multiple positions. You know, with the triangle, the (small forward) and the (power forward) are pretty much the same position out there. The (point guard) and the (shooting guard) are the same position out there. I know all five positions.

"It's going to be interesting to see how (Jackson) works it. As a player, all you can do is work hard and try to get opportunities to do something."

Walton sounded positively giddy at the prospect of playing Saturday night against Regal FC Barcelona, a Spanish club team, at Staples Center.

"I can't wait to play," he said.
JSM

Fisher wants the Lakers to play with urgency

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:31 pm

Broderick Turner of the LA Times wrote:Derek Fisher always has been a calm, steady influence for the Lakers.

He has been a rock for his younger teammates, a coach on the floor and a friend for Kobe Bryant in his times of need.

That hasn't changed, but Fisher senses the gravity of what's at stake and that is to win an NBA championship sooner rather than later and that has changed his way of dealing with his teammates.

"It used to be 100% calm and pretty chill," Fisher, 34, said after practice today. "I guess in my old age, it's dwindled down to about me being 75 to 80% calm and chill. But I mix in 20 to 25% of a little fire in there just to let guys know that this is important and that this is our job . . . and we've got to take it seriously. I try to make sure that I keep that on our minds." He spent his first eight years in the NBA with the Lakers before playing two years with Golden State and one season with Utah.

Fisher re-joined the Lakers a year ago as an elder statesman who has learned during his 13-year career how to become a leader.

"I feel like as a team we have a great opportunity," Fisher said. "I feel like individually I can help the team take advantage of the opportunity and I feel great about this time in my career, I really do."

Fisher was an integral part of the Lakers team that won three consecutive NBA championships, from 2000-2002.

That team had the dominate personality of Shaquille O'Neal, the drive and will of Bryant, the veteran presences of role players like Rick Fox, Robert Horry, Brian Shaw, Ron Harper and Fisher.

This current Lakers team lost to the Boston Celtics in the NBA Finals last June and Fisher says that it may have the same makeup as the Lakers' championship teams of earlier this decade.

"If you just look at the definition of potential, yeah, it's the same -- in terms of a lot young, physical, great talent," Fisher said. "But I think there are a lot of differences in terms of personalities and personnel and strengths and weaknesses that we've got."

Fisher pointed to how the 2000-02 champion Lakers had players on those teams who had won championships before.

Only Fisher and Bryant on this squad have won titles.

"But I think we have what we need to establish what we had earlier in this decade," Fisher said. "Kobe and I and the coaching staff and even a lot of our guys who were here last year, they don't want to really wait another year or two or three to get there. We want to do it right now."
JSM

Re: 10/16: Training Camp Reports - Day 17

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:21 pm

Drew:
Download

Fish:
Download

Luke:
Download

JSM