Joel Meyers pre-game

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:58 pm

Joel Meyers before the game:
Download

JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Lamar on the importance of the second-unit

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:00 pm

Ramona Shelburne of the LA Daily News Blog wrote:Ronny Turiaf is off in Golden State. Sasha Vujacic is working his way back form an ankle injury, but the Lakers so-called ``Bench Mob'' is still the Bench Mob until further notice.

``Absolutely,'' point guard, and Bench Mob headliner Jordan Farmar said, when asked if the unit was keeping it's name, despite losing Turiaf to the Warriors. ``We do miss him though.''

Personality-wise, there's probably no one in the league who could completely fill Ronny's shoes. But on the court, now that Lamar Odom seems to have joined the youthful gang, the Lakers second-unit might even be better.

In Sunday's exhibition win over the Raptors, the second unit turned a 70-70 tie into a 112-89 blowout win.

``I've always said, We're only going to be a great team when we play well when Kobe is out of the game, because that instills fear in teams,'' Odom said. `It gives them confidence when he's (Kobe's) the one who's doing everything. When we're out there moving the ball, playing well off the bench, it really destroys teams mentally.''
JSM

Odom said that?

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:03 pm

Jeff Miller of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:There the quote was, in the middle of our man Kevin Ding’s Monday dispatch, coming from Lamar Odom.

“I guess everybody leads in their own ways, you know?” Odom told Ding. ”I’m just myself, every day. You get the same Lamar. If not, people are like, ‘What’s wrong with you, man?’”

I’m just myself, every day. You get the same Lamar?

Again, you get the same Lamar?

Really? If there’s one consistency to Lamar Odom, it’s that no one ever can be certain what he’s going to bring from one game to the next.

Odom, based only on the evidence that is his career, routinely gives us a different Lamar. He can change his mood as quickly as you can change your mind.

Engaged, active and happy one game. Disinterested, distracted and two field goal attempts the next.

That’s Lamar Odom. Or more accurately, that’s just the first two of him.
JSM

Gasol takes his game to another planet?

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:04 pm

Janis Carr of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:Pau Gasol might not be the most physical specimen on the hardwood, but his game is out of this world. At least that’s what his Spanish teammates and commentators used to think.

While Gasol was younger, Spanish commentators called him E.T. — as in the extra terrestrial — not because they thought he was spacey, but because “they thought my level of play was from another planet.”

The nickname stuck while he was in Europe, but luckily it didn’t follow him across the Atlantic.
JSM

Vujacic on track for one exhibition game

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:07 pm

Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:Sasha Vujacic looks to be well on the road to return for the Lakers based on his ability to take part in the team’s shoot-around this afternoon after his first hard practice Monday. Vujacic does, however, have a doctor’s appointment Wednesday to get a full green light.

“It helped to take those days off, and with the treatment and rehabbing, it’s not swelling up,” Vujacic said of his left ankle. “It’s a good sign. I don’t have that sharp pain anymore, which was the thing I was scared about.”

Vujacic’s plan is to play in the Lakers’ final exhibition game: Friday night vs. New Orleans in Ontario. That game is already sold out — unlike the first seven Lakers exhibition games.
JSM

Sports Illustrated: Lakers will lose to Spurs in West finals

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:08 pm

Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:Everyone loves predictions, so let’s take an early advance peek at those soon to be released by Sports Illustrated’s writers for public consumption. Basically, they love the Lakers … until June.

They’ve got Kobe Bryant beating out LeBron James for the NBA MVP. They’ve got Lamar Odom making good on his demotion by winning Sixth Man of the Year, ahead of Chicago’s Ben Gordon. They’ve got Andrew Bynum taking Most Improved Player honors over Detroit’s Rodney Stuckey. (Bynum is also projected to earn third-team All-NBA honors at center, behind Yao Ming and Dwight Howard.)

And they’ve got the Lakers winning the Western Conference’s top seed — but losing to the Spurs in the Western Conference finals (before San Antonio beats Boston for the title).

Here’s a snippet from what their anonymous advance scout says about the Lakers: “I still question whether Kobe Bryant has enough support to win it all this year. The Lakers are still young, and their style is more finesse than physical; just look at Kobe’s top teammates: Lamar Odom and Pau Gasol. I don’t see anyone else who has the tough, buck-stops-with-me demeanor that Kobe has. … Odom totally disappeared in the Finals. He’s extremely good in games that don’t matter much, but when it’s crunch time, he doesn’t know how to raise his game.”
JSM

Irish Chat

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:27 pm

Mike Trudell of Lakers.com wrote:KCAL’s John Ireland took some time to chat with us prior to Tuesday’s game in San Diego, detailing what really happened when Shaq started his expletive-laced postgame interview, a charity game Ireland played in S.D. back in the day and what things stand out to him about the 2008-09 Lakers.

We’ll be touching base with Ireland and each of L.A.’s four broadcasters throughout the season right here on the blog and on lakers.com.

Here’s the audio:
Download

JSM

Re: Sports Illustrated: Lakers will lose to Spurs in West finals

Postby ZenMaster4President on Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:34 am

JSM wrote:
Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:Everyone loves predictions, so let’s take an early advance peek at those soon to be released by Sports Illustrated’s writers for public consumption. Basically, they love the Lakers … until June.

They’ve got Kobe Bryant beating out LeBron James for the NBA MVP. They’ve got Lamar Odom making good on his demotion by winning Sixth Man of the Year, ahead of Chicago’s Ben Gordon. They’ve got Andrew Bynum taking Most Improved Player honors over Detroit’s Rodney Stuckey. (Bynum is also projected to earn third-team All-NBA honors at center, behind Yao Ming and Dwight Howard.)

And they’ve got the Lakers winning the Western Conference’s top seed — but losing to the Spurs in the Western Conference finals (before San Antonio beats Boston for the title).

Here’s a snippet from what their anonymous advance scout says about the Lakers: “I still question whether Kobe Bryant has enough support to win it all this year. The Lakers are still young, and their style is more finesse than physical; just look at Kobe’s top teammates: Lamar Odom and Pau Gasol. I don’t see anyone else who has the tough, buck-stops-with-me demeanor that Kobe has. … Odom totally disappeared in the Finals. He’s extremely good in games that don’t matter much, but when it’s crunch time, he doesn’t know how to raise his game.”

Wow. That scout should be fired on the spot. No wonder he remained anonymous.
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Re: 10/21: Training Camp Reports - Day 22

Postby Sirron on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:26 am

Wow. That scout should be fired on the spot. No wonder he remained anonymous.

REally? I kind of read that said "yep"

Hoping Drew proves us all wrong though and brings the size and toughness we need. It's a lot to ask of a 21 year old kid though.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Re: 10/21: Training Camp Reports - Day 22

Postby wallangong on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:53 am

regarding what that scout said, the thing is, regardless of the lack of toughness, we lost the Finals due to a lack of focus. Game 1 was ours for the taking and the Celts needed PP's theatrics to motivate them. we should have attacked full throttle as soon as we saw he was hurt and really demoralized them. but they cut into our lead even before he returned.

then there's the Game 4 implosion. we win that game there's a VERY good chance we go to Boston up 3-2. they were the better team but i believe the difference had more to do with mental toughness than physical toughness. and mental toughness can be learned through experience and failure.
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13