10/23: Training Camp Reports - Day 24

10/23: Training Camp Reports - Day 24

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:52 am

Art Thompson III of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:Lakers backup forward-center Josh Powell watched Thursday night’s exhibition game against the Charlotte Bobcats in street clothes due to a strained left hamstring.

Powell said he suffered the injury during the opening session of Wednesday’s practice. The injury, according to Powell, is not deemed serious and he could play in Friday’s final exhibition game in Ontario, against the Oklahoma City Thunder.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Vujacic set to play

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:53 am

Art Thompson III of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:Lakers guard Sasha Vujacic plans to make an appearance Friday night in the team’s final exhibition game. Vujacic has missed all seven pre-season games due to a sprained left ankle, suffered Sept. 30, during the team’s opening day of training camp.

The injury occurred during a scrimmage, when while driving to the basket, Vujacic inadvertently stepped on the foot of teammate D.J. Mbenga, who was playing defense.

During the subsequent days in which his ankle was slow to respond to treatment, Vujacic took a MRI exam, which revealed an avulsion fracture, unrelated to the sprained ankle. Vujacic was told that it was an old injury that he likely played through during the latter part of the 2007-2008 season.

Vujacic had hoped to play in at least two exhibition games but after consulting with the training staff and Coach Phil Jackson, the decision was reached to hold him out of Thursday’s game at Honda Center against the Charlotte Bobcats.
JSM

Sun awaits decision

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:55 am

Art Thompson III of the Orange County Register Blog wrote:Will he be on the Lakers’ regular-season roster or on their D-League affiliate, the Los Angeles Defenders?

Or, as the case has been the past two years, with Coby Karl and Jordan Farmar respectively, will rookie Sun Yue play for the A Team and the B Team during the same season?

“They haven’t decided yet because we still have two more (exhibition) games,” Sun said, prior to Thursday night’s pre-season game at Honda Center, against the Charlotte Hornets. “I don’t know what the decision will be but to me, every game is important.”

Prior to Thursday’s game, Sun had appeared in four of the team’s six exhibition games. He had yet to score, having missed all four of his field-goal tries in 29 total minutes.

“I try to do my best every game and whatever decision that they make I will work my hardest,” Sun said.

Sun said that if he were demoted to the D-League it would mean that the coaching staff believed that presently he can’t help the Lakers and needed to work on key facets of his game.

“I respect the coach and I’ll try to make myself better, so that I can help the team,” Sun said.

With 1:24 remaining in Thursday’s game, Sun went to the free throw line and made the second of two foul shots. Then 17 seconds later, after getting fouled on a fast-break dunk try, Sun swished both of his free-throw tries, much to the delight of his teammates sitting and cheering him on from the bench.
JSM

Jackson questions need for more replays

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:59 am

Janis Carr of the Orange County Register Blog wrote: Imagine how many times Phil Jackson will roll his eyes.

Already the Lakers coach has some doubts how well an increased use of instant replay will work. Or not work.

On Thursday, the NBA Board of Governors voted to allow the expanded use of instant replay, beginning this season, which will allow referees to review– at any point — whether a field goal was correctly scored as a two or three-point basket, and for the purpose of awarding the correct number of free throws if the shooter was fouled.

They would also use instant replay if the clock should misfunction during a play at the buzzer.

“I think football has been caught in the dilemma of having situations that delay the game to an upwards of 15 minutes because of the numbers and variety of adjustments,” Jackson said.

He also questioned the whole need for instant replay.

How many years we’ve been playing, 30?” he asked. ”There are mistakes that have happened and 3-pointers that have been missed. But that’s part of the game. Guys step on the line, they are out of bounds or in the 3 sec lane too long, or hang on the rim. There are a lot of things.

“I can see at the need of the game it being a real important aspect.”
JSM

Here's something you didn't know about Andrew Bynum

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:14 pm

Ramona Shelburne of the LA Daily News Blog wrote:I'd heard a few weeks ago that Andrew Bynum is a car guy. Normally in the NBA, that means a guy spends a bunch of his rookie contract on fancy, tricked out, fast cars. But in Bynum's case there's a little more to it. Apparently, when he grows up, or finishes his NBA career, whichever comes first, Big Drew wants to become a mechanical engineer and build cars.

``I like cars alot. I work with them on the weekends,'' he said. ``That's something I think I want to get into after I'm done playing. Maybe go to school and become like a mechanical engineer.

``I really like it. I like how they work.''

These days, Bynum can be seen scooting around town in either a Yukon Denali, his BMW M-6 or Nissan Skyline.
JSM

Why Vlade over Trevor

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:16 pm

Ramona Shelburne of the LA Daily News Blog wrote:Remember just a few weeks ago when it looked like Trevor Ariza was going to get serious consideration as a starter at small forward this year. It was, at the time, the reason Lamar Odom was potentially being moved to the bench. The thinking being that Ariza's athleticism, defensive ability against other small forwards and 3-point shooting was more of what the Lakers needed out of their starting small forward than Odom's all-around game.

In recent games though, Phil Jackson seems to be leading more toward starting Vladimir Radmanovic at that spot, as he did at the end of last year. It's not for sentimental reasons though.

Right now, it's looking like the Lakers first unit --Derek Fisher, Kobe Bryant, Vladimir Radmanovic, Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum -- is going to be a more half-court oriented group. And with two 7-footers in the post, Jackson needs a legitimate 3-point threat to stretch the defense and keep teams from packing it in down low on Bynum and Gasol. While Ariza can shoot 3s, he's not as feared, or established as Radmanovic.

``He's an accurate 3-point shooter, though i wouldn't say right now that he's known as a 3-point shooter,'' Jackson said of Ariza. ``His tendency is not to shoot the ball, whereas Vlade's tendency is to pull a defense out.''

Jackson, it seems, prefers to let Ariza's athleticism shine on the more uptempo second unit led by Jordan Farmar and Lamar Odom.

``I don't want to squelch Trevor's ability by putting him on the first unit. It would be a disservice to his game,'' Jackson said. ``He's much better having the opportunity to play a much more wide-open, quicker game with the second unit. They move the ball well, they run the court well, have a lot of fun on the court. The first unit is more half-court, more settled in and I think that Vlade gives them a great outside shooter to spread the defense so we can run the interior game.''
JSM

Re: 10/23: Training Camp Reports - Day 24

Postby ZenMaster4President on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:22 pm

^^^ That was fairly obvious all along, I think.
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:44 pm

ZenMaster4President wrote:^^^ That was fairly obvious all along, I think.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Here's something you didn't know about Andrew Bynum

Postby Kit on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:07 pm

JSM wrote:
Ramona Shelburne of the LA Daily News Blog wrote:I'd heard a few weeks ago that Andrew Bynum is a car guy. Normally in the NBA, that means a guy spends a bunch of his rookie contract on fancy, tricked out, fast cars. But in Bynum's case there's a little more to it. Apparently, when he grows up, or finishes his NBA career, whichever comes first, Big Drew wants to become a mechanical engineer and build cars.

``I like cars alot. I work with them on the weekends,'' he said. ``That's something I think I want to get into after I'm done playing. Maybe go to school and become like a mechanical engineer.

``I really like it. I like how they work.''

These days, Bynum can be seen scooting around town in either a Yukon Denali, his BMW M-6 or Nissan Skyline.

He takes his M6 and Skyline to our car meets.
http://www.mfestforum.com/forum/index.php

Kit

Postby Helljumper on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:59 pm

lakerswiz wrote:oh my god.

That girl could literally blow him standing up.

I need to get me another foot of height....and a hot asian groupie.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Helljumper

Postby GinoDB on Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:33 pm

Skyline? he really does play a lot of video games , I wish I could play Need For Speed and just buy the cars from the game, prolly what Bynum did.
GinoDB

Postby kwyitkilla on Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:44 pm

GT-R not Skyline, Skyline is what the G37 is in Japan.
kwyitkilla

Postby GinoDB on Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:00 pm

kwyitkilla wrote:GT-R not Skyline, Skyline is what the G37 is in Japan.

I didn't see GT-R anywhere in the article,I know all about thats stuff , so he has the new one? I hope he doesn't break it then cuz it has a black box and they will know if he was racing when he broke it, but im sure Drew won't do something stupid like that.
GinoDB

Postby kwyitkilla on Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:15 am

well the guy said he takes his M6 and skyline to their meets, in the pictures there are no skylines but there is a gt-r, and if he took both it should be that car.
kwyitkilla

Postby Kit on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:12 am

What are you talking about? Are we in Japan? Andrew has a Skyline GTR...
Why would Andrew buy a G37 anyway... lol
Kit

Postby Kit on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:17 am

Kit

Postby Ras Algethi on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:35 pm

Kit wrote:

He's right. The GT-R is no longer called the Skyline. Unless you're referring to the R32 to R34 Skylines, he has a GT-R.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby kwyitkilla on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:38 pm

Kit wrote:

if you dont know something, dont speak. Its called Nissan GTR, NOT Nissan Skyline GTR. I only mentioned the Skyline because I saw the pictures of the GTR and I know its not called Skyline.
kwyitkilla

Postby Kit on Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:23 am

Ok ok
i guess I don't know Japanese cars.
I shut up now :)
Kit

Postby kwyitkilla on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:39 am

and dont hate on the G37!, thats my car : )
kwyitkilla

Postby Kit on Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:10 pm

I know, I was just messing with you :) Have fun watching the game tonight!
Kit

Return to Lakers Training Camp 12/13