2011 Draft trade idea

2011 Draft trade idea

Postby LAKEROC on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:48 pm

What about packaging all 4 of our second rounders to move into the mid to lower first round, and draft Michigan point guard Darius Morris?
LAKEROC

Re: 2011 Draft trade idea

Postby JSM on Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:16 pm

Honestly, I'm not a fan. He can't shoot from 3. Isn't quick. And doesn't play that good of D. He's a bubble first round pick right now, that's too much to give up for him in my book. I think he'll be a good NBA point, just not the right fit.

If we were to trade into the latter part of the first round for a guard, I'd much rather take Charles Jenkins. Draft Express wrote an article on him earlier this year calling him "college basketball's best kept secret." One of the downsides of playing for a small school. Here's why I like him for this team (info taken from his DX profile):
Jenkins ranks as the second most efficient isolation threat in the NCAA (after Andrew Goudelock), scoring on over 50% of his attempts when going one on one (minimum 50 possessions). He also ranks in the top-10 in pick and roll situations and in the top-25 as a catch and shoot threat.

Amongst NCAA prospects classified as point guards in the DraftExpress database, Jenkins currently trails only Kyrie Irving (who played just 8 games this season) in both True Shooting Percentage, and Effective Field Goal Percentage. This speaks not only to the tremendous shooter that Jenkins has developed into over the course of his career, but also the impressive shot selection he has shown this season despite the need his team has for him to score.

Can create for himself (something we desperately could use from a guard not named Kobe), can shoot the ball very well and takes smart shots when doing so, and is on of the best P&R PGs in the entire draft -- with Brown and Messina favoring the P&R so much, we need a guard that excels in it. Plus, he works his butt off, with Brown's high demands of this team and accountability system, I think he'd like this kid.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby LAKEROC on Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:47 pm

^ Interesting JSM. What are your thoughts on Josh Selby? Would you trade all 4 picks if we could move up and grab him. I see Selby as kind of a Rodney Stuckey type player.
LAKEROC

Postby JSM on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:24 pm

LAKEROC wrote:What are your thoughts on Josh Selby? Would you trade all 4 picks if we could move up and grab him. I see Selby as kind of a Rodney Stuckey type player.

I think he's still raw (expected with a freshman). It'd take more time and work with him before he's ready for the role we'd need from him. If I'm taking someone in the 1st, it's a point guard. Selby is an undersized two. Don't see a future for him at the one. He played against other twos when they matched the guys up at the combine in Chicago. And played off the ball in Kansas. Don't get me wrong, the kid can score. I want a veteran backing up Kobe, not a green rookie, especially if they have no chance in being groomed as his replacement. On top of that, Fish and Ebanks will be getting 2 guard minutes next season.

And to throw in a comparison to Jenkins, using a stat from hisDX profile

he's attacked the basket very infrequently, getting to the line and getting shots in the lane at a poor rate. He averages just 1.7 free throws compared to 7.9 field goal attempts per game, and according to Synergy Sports Technology, in the half-court setting he's attempted 95 jumpers compared to 30 shots around the basket.

Overall, he's converting just 39% of his 2-point attempts, which would be the lowest percentage of any player drafted in the last ten years, if he indeed decided to enter. Combine that with his paltry 37 free throw attempts in 22 games, and it's no surprise why Selby ranks as the least efficient scorer amongst players in our top-100 prospects ranking.

One's at the top of the efficiency scale and the other one is at the bottom. I get that the paint may have been crowded with the Morris brothers clogging it up, but it won't be any better here with Drew and Pau in the post.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby LAKEROC on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:49 am

How ironic that the Cleveland pick that ends up being #1 is from the Clippers who had a 2.8% chance of piucking #1. How even more ironic that Kyrie in Greek means, "Lord, have mercy".
LAKEROC

Postby Phil XI on Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:10 am

Its not like the nfl draft where packaging multiple 2nds can move you up. Doubt LA would get someone to do that. Better option is to buy a pick for 3mil to a team not wanting to take on a guaranteed contract late first.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby Whatthef? on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:40 pm

Ben Hansburough would be a steal in the second round. Check his #'s, he shoots threes better than most of the lottery guards.
Whatthef?

Return to NBA 2014 Draft