2nd round 2011 picks

2nd round 2011 picks

Postby lakerfanaticpt on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:18 pm

Wondering what the consensus is on what guard or guards the Lakers should pick with a couple of their picks. I say a couple because if they keep them all....4 total, I'm sure they would pick maybe a couple of Euros and stash them for a year or two. The other 2 picks should be used to grab a couple of PG prospects since that seems to be our most glaring need.

Here are a few names I have found/read about so far:
Demetri mcCamey
Chris Jenkins
Iman Shumpert
Tyshawn Taylor
Norris Cole
Marshon Brooks
Corey Joseph
Nolan Smith
Malcolm Lee
Maalik Wayns
Corey Fisher
I'm sure there are a few more names that might be missed but I would love to be able to land Shumpert and Taylor with Jenkins and Cole being good as well.
lakerfanaticpt

Re: 2nd round 2011 picks

Postby KB24 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:18 pm

I really used to be a draft expert...

I predicted us to take Walton...it happened (I didn't expect him to suck this hard)
I predicted and wanted us to take Crittenton...it happened
I predicted and wanted Turiaf...it happened
I predicted and loved for us to take Shannon Brown....Cleveland picked him before us but eventually we got him
I predicted and was obsessed for us to take Andrew Bynum...we picked him although everyone wanted Gerald Green.
I wanted Monta Ellis...we picked Wafer

so when I look back, I love the fact that I have always had solid picks in mind...people we could realistically end up with and amazingly, almost always ended up with who I had in mind.

But ever since we went back to the Finals...I have gone away from the draft since we either traded the picks or they were really low.

Right now in 2011, I can say that I have ABSOLUTELY no idea about the draft anymore and since I stopped watching college ball, I know exactly 2 guys from your list.Jenkins and Taylor...for the others, I haven't even heared their names.

I just hope we pick a couple of projects. High risk, high reward type of guys. We have our team right now so whoever we sign might not get any playing time anytime soon...so go with talent and take a couple of big gambles...either it pans out or it doesn't but we can afford to take a chance on it IMO.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby -G- on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:44 pm

Preston Knowles and Shelvin Mack.
-G-

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:22 pm

Norris Cole is a sleeper, from cleveland state, plays the point guard. He's a small, quick point guard, I see him as a mix between brandon jennings and aaron brooks. Hes a scorer and Im not sure about his defense, as i havent got to see too many games. Can hit the outside J.

I dont think he's a starter, but more of a scorer/spark off the bench, who could contain the pg's that give us problems.

And he has a sweet throwback hightop fade.

I would love to see him in P & G.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby pureuncut100 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:42 am

I think this is one of those drafts where the Lakers could pick up a very good player if they pursue it. Similar to the year Phoenix basically sold Rajon Rondo to the Celtics. If the Lakers see a player they really want or they really believe in, I hope they pursue that player regardless of where they pick in the second round.

I would love to see us try to make something happen to get Nolan Smith, JuJuan Johnson or Brandon Knight. As of right now, they dont appear to be going extremely high but they do seem to be in the mid-first round range of a supposedly weak draft.
pureuncut100

Postby leakbrewergator on Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:43 am

Chandler Freakin' Parsons!

Miami ThreeTARDS- Duh Wayne 'Fraid, Piss Posh, LeBrat Shames
leakbrewergator

Postby lakerfanaticpt on Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:46 pm

I think Norris Cole would be a nice pick up.
lakerfanaticpt

Postby khmrP on Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:36 pm

draft express has us taking Shelvin Mack with GSW pick :man1: thoughts? I personally like it, he looked horrible in the finals but looks awesome against VCU :man10: but overall he could be a solid PG in the Dfish mold, not overly athletic, not speedy, not physical but in the end dude just knows how to win...

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2011/
khmrP

Postby lakerfanaticpt on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:43 pm

Does anybody know if Iman Shumpert is in the draft??
lakerfanaticpt

Postby kray28 on Sun May 15, 2011 11:24 am

Hoopsworld Mock has us taking:

1. Gilbert Brown SG/SF - Pittsburgh
2. Ben Hansbrough PG/SG - Notre Dame - Tyler's brother
3. Justin Holiday - SG/SF - Washington - Jrue's brother

So two swingmen and one combo guard.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/the_draft/FullMockDraft.asp
kray28

Postby silver0187 on Mon May 16, 2011 10:11 pm

So we have the most pick in the most disappointing and shallow draft in years.....
silver0187

Postby kray28 on Tue May 17, 2011 1:54 pm

silver0187 wrote:So we have the most pick in the most disappointing and shallow draft in years.....

Glass half-full take:

1. They're all second rounders....we don't have to keep them or give them any guaranteed money.

2. Also it being a shallow draft, that means we aren't missing out on much in the first round.

3. You can look at it as three solid shots at adding some youth/speed/fresh legs in a great shooter, swingman , combo guard or point.

4. Mitch has been pretty good drafting in the second round.

Past second rounders:
1. Marc Gasol
2. Ronny
3. Ebanks

I remember there was that one year where MItch turned a tail end second rounder (Samb) into a very serviceable pickup in Mo Evans.
kray28

Postby JSM on Tue May 17, 2011 2:43 pm

silver0187 wrote:So we have the most pick in the most disappointing and shallow draft in years.....

Even in some of the weaker drafts, they're still quality 2nd round gems. First example that comes to mind is 2006:
Boobie Gibson
Paul Millsap
Leon Powe
Craig Smith
Ryan Hollins

All have made contributions in this league.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby silver0187 on Tue May 17, 2011 6:21 pm

Nice points, hope we get someone serviceable :jam2:
silver0187

Postby Phil XI on Tue May 17, 2011 7:04 pm

I hope they take 2 useful players (1 G and 1 C) then 2 young Euro-stash's for the eventual re-tool.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby kray28 on Tue May 17, 2011 9:33 pm

They really should use the picks to bring in as much immediate guard help as they can.
kray28

Postby Doc Brown on Thu May 19, 2011 9:58 am

Like Kray and others have said, just because its supposed to be a weak draft doesnt mean we cant come away with a couple steals, sleepers and question marks.

We have 4 picks which we could do two different things with:

1.) Use all of the picks and draft guys that could potentially make a difference immediately and if they dont pan out, we dont have to pay them. Its a crap shoot, but with our recent draft history in the second round, I believe if we use all 4 picks, we will come away with at least 2 solid players. Its tuff to say now who we should get now, but perimeter players should be a must. When I say perimeter players, I mean guys that can either defend and play smart and within the offense or guys that can shoot and create their own shots that can be used as situational players.

2.) We use any combo (Draft 1 pick, trade 3, Draft 2 picks, trade 2 or Draft 3 picks, trade 1). This option is what I am hoping for. Especially the draft 2 guys and trade the next two picks. By doing this we can hopefully draft the two guys that are high in the Lakers FO minds. The people we should draft follow the same criteria as in 1. This means we have two picks left to trade to other teams that are looking to rebuild or shed unwanted players (Cleveland - Sessions, Memphis - Mayo). We can combine them with the TPE or use the TPE by itself and try and steal one of these players that fit our needs.

Just because its a weak draft, it doesnt mean we dont still have some leverage when it comes to getting players that would fit the needs of the team.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby 10scott10 on Thu May 19, 2011 10:52 pm

kray28 wrote:They really should use the picks to bring in as much immediate guard help as they can.

It is extremely unlikely to get someone in the second round who is good enough to have an impact immediately. Even more so in a weak draft, where mediocre talent will be going earlier.
10scott10

Postby lakerfanaticpt on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:28 pm

This is only a mediocre draft at the top......I think it is quite deep throughout with a lot of potential sleepers in the 2nd round. Just have to pick the right one:))
lakerfanaticpt

Postby Helljumper on Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:18 am

We need PG help, and it's starting to look like it will be difficult/too costly to solve that issue via free agency or trade. We already have two young prospects in Ebanks/Caracter at SF and PF. They've already proven to have some sort of potential with their play in the summer league last season. So I think we're set at those positions.

So IMO, we need to take a shotgun approach and use all, or at least 3 of the picks, on high profile point guards who have the chance to provide an immediate impact (I don't want any no-name players or international scrubs that won't ever play in the NBA). Let them battle it out in training camp and hope that one of them shows a lot of potential.
Helljumper

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:37 am

^ You're not really going to find a lot of high profile PGs available with the Lakers' picks (41, 46, 56, 58). You're probably going to see some no name guys there, or at least guys that no one was going nuts over during the NCAA tournament.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Return to NBA 2014 Draft