Anyone know about justin williams?

Anyone know about justin williams?

Postby lakerfansd on Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:51 am

I don't watch college or highschool bball so when draft time comes around, I never know what's going on. I was browsing cnnsi article on players who surprised in the predraft camp and came across Justin Williams. Draftexpress mentioned how he's a great shotblocker, (especially weak-side) and good rebounder. Would he be a good second round pick? Shot-blocking is something we desperately need.

Link to profile: http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=346
lakerfansd

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:00 am

I think it's big possibility that we could draft him in 2nd round, he has worked out with Lakers and if he'll prove that he's enough good to make team, I'll call it as steal, cuz in 2nd round teams doesn't get good players too often.
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby Crispy on Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:40 pm

i would draft a higher quality pf in the first round because marcus banks is pretty much a lock for us at pg. but if hes ends up being the best avaliable pf for the lakers at 26, we should take him.
Crispy

Postby BadNewsBear on Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:18 pm

He's weak and a liablility offensively. Not worth a first round pick, but if he's there at 51, I wouldn't mind him.
BadNewsBear

Postby rydjorker121 on Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:23 am

Probably will be at the 51st pick, although he's most likely around the #48 to #58 draft range. I'm not overly high on him, especially since he's only 6'9" now (he was listed at 6'10" in college) and he's extremely skinny to boot. At 6'9" 211 lbs., he really should be a SF (I believe DerMarr Johnson has that height and weight). But instead, Williams is like a PF trapped in a SF's body currently unless he puts on more weight. His best attribute is probably his shotblocking skills, what with his long arms and defensive presence. I can't see him really translating his great rebounding numbers to the NBA. His offensive game is extremely raw. I think prospects like him are quite a dime a dozen in the NBA, and many players of his caliber (such as Lonnie Jones, Samaki Walker, etc.) don't even end up making the NBA after a while. He's really just a shotblocker at the NBA level, if nothing else. Thus, I'm not extremely high on him and I probably won't even advise drafting him at the 51st pick.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby JSM on Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:37 am

I actually like his game. He's a good defender in a zone or as a help/weak side defender. He needs to be locked in a gym for a couple years, then go on the Shaq diet but the same could be said of several second round prospects.

-He's only 6-8 3/4 (official measurement)
-7-1 1/2 foot wingspan, which is all right, nothing spectacular.
-His standing reach is impressive: 9-1 (only 3 players had better)
-He only benched 185 7 times, but Thomas and Alrdrige could only do 8 reps, Sene could only do 7.

But he won't be there at 51, so it doesn't matter much. There are a few teams who are high on him and will look to take him earlier than the 50s.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Return to NBA 2014 Draft