Big Baby staying for Jr. year

Big Baby staying for Jr. year

Postby JSM on Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:13 pm

SI: Glen Davis doesn't want to go out like this. For LSU, that made the Final Four a little easier to take.

"I'll be back," he said. "I want to maximize my ability. I want to enjoy college. This has been a wonderful ride that I can put in my book of memories."

Davis wants to create more memories for the Tigers, who already helped soothe the wounds left by Hurricane Katrina with their stunning run through the NCAA tournament.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby eNlight on Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:24 pm

:mad1: :mad1: :mad1:
eNlight

Postby bhatta on Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:58 am

He wouldn't have been a lottery pick anyway. He needs to get in better condition and work on an outside game a little bit.
bhatta
Clublakers Lead Analyst

Postby LA Laker Woman on Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:40 am

Pbhatta542 wrote:He wouldn't have been a lottery pick anyway. He needs to get in better condition and work on an outside game a little bit.

Yeah, that 300+ pounds he carries keeps him from running the floor well, getting back on defense quickly, and he tires pretty quickly. He would be a much more attractive draft choice if he were to drop 20-30 pounds.

He weighed around 330 in his freshman year, so you know he can lose the weight if he needs to.

Beat LA? In your dreams! Go Lakers!
LA Laker Woman

Postby JSM on Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:19 am

Pbhatta542 wrote:He wouldn't have been a lottery pick anyway. He needs to get in better condition and work on an outside game a little bit.

I think that's why he wants to wait another year, so he can spend another summer getting into better shape and shedding a few more pounds.
JSM

Postby bhatta on Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:02 am

More than just losing the weight, he has to show that he can play 30 minutes a game without hunching over and gasping for breath the way he did against UCLA. I don't know if you can be 300 lbs and find a way to not get tired, but that would be ideal.

He needs to develop more traditional post moves as well as that midrange jumper.

What's scary is how well he runs the floor and moves around. Gosh .. this guy has so much potential!
bhatta
Clublakers Lead Analyst

Postby rydjorker121 on Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:53 pm

He's not NBA ready for sure, and that UCLA game exposed his lack of conditioning. He seriously needs to shed some weight, that's the biggest hurdle he needs to jump for the NBA. And even if he trims down to roughly 280 lbs., he still is a 6'7" power forward when all is said and done. That being said, it is hard, EXTREMELY hard for him to get drafted into the 1st round. He was a late first rounder before he got exposed by UCLA--I don't look for him to ever reach that territory again.

He is a unique player in the sense that he can handle the ball well for a big man, move nimbly and quick on his feet, but he's still slow and doesn't have much a post game. He needs to diversify his game and conform to the traditional aspects of the NBA big man. Currently he's undersized, overweight, doesn't have much post game and is slow. Those are already four strikes on why he's probably an early to mid-2nd rounder at best whenever he decides to enter.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby JSM on Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:18 pm

I think if Shaq and Antoine Walker got together Brokeback Mountain style and had a kid, a kid that got the good parts of each Walker and Shaq, Glenn Davis is what you would see.

I think he will find a place in the NBA because he's not your typical undersized big man. His sheer mass makes up for his lack of height, but it also hurts him because he's not in tip top shape or conditioning. But if...a big IF, he can get in better shape and not have to ask his coach to call any more time outs, so he can suck enough wind to go out there and play some more minutes then...and only then will he be ready to take the next step into the NBA.

But what impressed me the most about him was his hands. He goes up with two hands and snatched rebounds down so easily. Now when his opponents are all 7 foot then that might change. It's hard to tell, because Barkley was such a good rebounder as well and he was 6-4 and a pillsbury doughboy as well.

Then the range and ball handling abilities that he has, you just don't see guys that large with those two skills. I mean this is a football RB turned basketball player. The first jumper I saw him take in the tourney, I thought he was insane and to my surprise it went in. I was left sitting there scratching my head. Then he got the ball at the point line, I was like ok...turnover, but I was shocked again when he dribbled by a guy and got to the basket.

Very intriguing prospect. I know I'll keep my eye on him next season for sure and see if he makes any of the needed adjustments in his game.
JSM

Postby jimbo327 on Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:40 pm

Not Ready. Come again.
jimbo327

Return to NBA 2014 Draft