Darius Washington will enter the draft

Darius Washington will enter the draft

Postby JSM on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:12 pm

Commercial Appeal: Darius Washington has also announced his intentions to enter the draft. The sophomore guard declined to answer questions when reached by phone today, instead referring The Commercial Appeal to his personal Web site (dwash.net) where a statement had been published that explained his decision.

"It is with a great deal of excitement that I announce my decision to declare for the 2006 NBA Draft," the statement read. "Playing in the NBA has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember. ... There were a lot of things to consider before I made my decision to enter the draft, and after careful consideration I am confident that I made the best decision for me. I truly appreciate the support my friends, family, coaches and the fans have given me over the years and hope they will stand by me as I enter the next stage of fulfilling my lifelong dream."

Though Washington wasn’t specific, his statement indicates he will remain in the draft no matter what despite no one projecting him as a first-round pick.

:man5:
Last edited by JSM on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby PurpleNGold1 on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:17 pm

not ready
PurpleNGold1

Postby JSM on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:22 pm

PurpleNGold1 wrote:not ready

Ready not ready, this is one of the few times I will break out the most used quote here...

"Do It Mitch"
JSM

Postby PurpleNGold1 on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:26 pm

from the games ive seen he dont look ready but your a memphis fan u tell me is he or no
PurpleNGold1

Postby JSM on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:40 pm

PurpleNGold1 wrote:from the games ive seen he dont look ready but your a memphis fan u tell me is he or no

Personally I would like to see him stay another year. I think he could use it.

But I think he can succeed at the NBA level next season. Starting next season? No. Backup? yes.

He can use his great quickness (first step being one of his greatest assets) to attack the rim. It helps that he's a very strong 6-2, even though he comes in at under 190 pounds.

Despite a bad turnover to assist ration, he's the best ball handler Memphis has had in awhile. He's very confident with the ball in his hands.

His weakness comes in if you are expecting a typical PG. To do well, he needs to go to a team that understands that he is not a PG that will ever average 8 assists. He is a scoring PG and that's what he's best at. If you want something other than that, he's not your man.

He isn't bad on defense, but he hasn't shut anyone down. Needs some fine tuning there. But it's an area of his game which I think will develop over the next two years.

If a team wants to trust him with most of their point guard responsibilities, it's just something he will have to get used to and that will take some time.

I'd project him late first round to early second. Just depending on his workouts and draft camp. If he can wow some people there and prove that he can handle the more traditional PG role that could help him go in the early 20s at the very earliest.

Out of the teams that have picks in the late first round, he'd probably do best with the Suns or Mavs. I think he'd have more playing time on the Suns. But his role wouldn't be spot up shooter like their guards off the bench now. It'd be push the tempo and attack.
JSM

Postby PurpleNGold1 on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:59 pm

so who would u pick if u could choose from him n gibson
PurpleNGold1

Postby In The Key on Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:08 pm

Probably a second round pick. An atheletic guard though. I know he's one a dunk contest in high school too.

Official "LA Lakers will defeat Phoenix in Round One" Club. PM to join.

MoneyMike...KrazyIvan909...nameant...Massacre_184...magicmoment...KoBeXo8...Bballgirl85...Sharpshooter...Nezter...anyone else believe?
In The Key

Postby JSM on Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:11 pm

PurpleNGold1 wrote:so who would u pick if u could choose from him n gibson

Homerism aside, that's a tough one. Both are a very similar type player.
-Same size (Washington has a little more muscle)
-Neither a real PG
-Both good scoring guards
-Both drawing comparisons to Billups
-Both love to run
-Neither are all that good at getting others involved (yet)
-Both need a couple of years in the NBA, before they will really start to make the contributions that they are capable of
-Both have a good 1st step
-Both have a steadily improving jump shot (however right now, Gibson has a better J)
-Washington is a better finisher in the paint
-Washington has a tad better half court game, because he is so comfortable with the ball

As much as both need a couple of years to bloom, I think Gibson will have a slightly better rookie season, but in the long run Washington will be the better PG.

It really could swing either way though. In my opinion, it will all be up to who does better in draft camp and in the workouts.
JSM

Postby D Nice on Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:37 pm

Gibson is a better shooter and a better triangle fit, I take him no question (though both would be great to take with Miami's pick).
D Nice

Postby rydjorker121 on Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:59 pm

I'm not extremely high on him, but I think he has the strength, scoring ability and decent quickness to be like a Stephon Marbury or Mo Williams-type player. He had a great start to his season but leveled off eventually, and really in terms of the draft, it's probably the same for him as it was last year: a late first round pick. This draft IS getting deeper and deeper by the minute, and although there's a lack of good PGs, as jsm said, his playmaking skills and jumpshot (to an extent) need to improve a bit. He's probably at the same level as Jordan Farmar in terms of the draft.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby UsC/LaKeRs on Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:28 am

He will be this year's Monta Ellis.
UsC/LaKeRs

Return to NBA 2014 Draft