Devan Downey: The Next Derrick Rose?

Devan Downey: The Next Derrick Rose?

Postby Alleyhoops on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:55 am

Well, I've watched this kid a few times before last weekend, and although he's 5-9, his strength and skill-set reminds me a lot of Derrick Rose.

Then he goes up against undefeated Kentucky and drops 30 on Wall and the Cats. Defensively, he seems very able to stay in front of quick PGs and his strength allows him to play physical against taller players.

Honestly, I haven't seen a better offensive player in the college ranks this year, and that's including Wall and others. The opposition tries to go big, small, double team, etc. against Downey but he seemingly can't be stopped.

I suppose his height will be an issue to GMs, but this young man has crazy, strong skills.
Alleyhoops

Re: Devan Downey: The Next Derrick Rose?

Postby JSM on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:43 pm

He really impressed me against Kentucky. There really was no stopping him. They ran everything at him, trying to slow him down, but he blitzed past every single defender on the court.

I do think the size will be a bit of an issue at the NBA level. I don't think it will prevent him from playing his style of ball, but I don't think he will be able to pinball his way to anywhere on the court at will. Currently he's not going against trees (Pau, Drew, etc) or the physical specimens like Ron, Landry, Dwight, Bass, Maggs.

His 3 ball seems to be better than Rose's, but unless he has a really good vert. he might have some trouble getting his shot up over the bigger opponents who tower over him (even though he shoots a bit of a rainbow).

Certainly appreciate his leadership skills and heart, I think those two attributes will take him a long way.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Alleyhoops on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:55 pm

Hey J, yeah, good thoughts. I had seen Downey three times before, but I missed the Kentucky game. Calipari said they tried different defenses but could not handle him. Vitale said Downey was intent on proving who the premier college guard was. I don't know if I'd go that far, but the kid is making a case for himself.

At the pro level, he's got that great body, very much like Rose, and he's so damn shifty, he seems to easily create space for himself to get his shot off -- much like Iverson. He's doing that against double teams in college, so I have a feeling he'll be effective at the next level.

You're right, I also love his heart, grit and leadership. Maybe he's the next Derek Fisher. What's his draft status? Is he a senior? Is he on anybody's board yet?
Alleyhoops

Postby JSM on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:43 am

Alleyhoops wrote:What's his draft status? Is he a senior? Is he on anybody's board yet?

Yeah, he's a Sr. He isn't on any of the mocks or Ford's top 100 currently. I think he could have some success if he's drafted by a team that pushes the ball (or at least their 2nd unit). Knicks, since they're probably letting Nate walk to free up more money for free agency. Suns. Wouldn't be opposed to taking a look at him as Farmar's replacement as a backcourt teammate for Shannon, help play the passing lanes and push the tempo.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Alleyhoops on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:46 am

I notice draft.net lists his lack of strength as a weakness. That must be taken from an old scouting report. They also note that he initiates and likes contact -- that's a bit of a contradiction and is probably from a more recent report. In an article after the Kentucky game, Devan noted that he spends a great deal of time in the weight room. Makes sense. He looks sturdy and pretty ripped. I think his physicality will be one of his plusses. We'll see if he works out for anyone.

He's a floor general. I'm with you, I wouldn't mind having him change tempo, instill energy and play the passing lanes off the bench. Absolutely. However, if he keeps up his play and the Gamecocks make the tournament, he may be long gone by the time we get to our second round pick.
Alleyhoops

Postby Justwar on Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:46 am

Just saw this....Downey is OK, but he's a volume shooter, doesn't create for teammates. If Kentucky rebounds they win that game easily and we would be talking about Downey's 9 for 30 shooting that game. He's a not as athletically gifted Nate Robinson.
Justwar

Postby halekulani on Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:21 am

at 5'9" i don't see how he could possibly compare to derrick rose.
halekulani

Postby Alleyhoops on Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:36 pm

halekulani wrote:at 5'9" i don't see how he could possibly compare to derrick rose.

Rose doesn't dominate players with his size, moreover it's his strong lower foundation that allows him to get where he wants to on the floor. Downey does the same thing. He's a nightmare to cover.
Alleyhoops

Postby halekulani on Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:42 pm

uh
rose is freakishly athletic with a long wingspan and is a 6'3" pg. not only is he longer and taller than anyone trying to guard him, he is also much quicker.

don't tell me his size doesn't matter.
halekulani

Return to NBA 2014 Draft