Diaper Dandy Williams Going To Draft Too

Diaper Dandy Williams Going To Draft Too

Postby JSM on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:14 pm

Commercial Appeal: University of Memphis standout Shawne Williams plans to make himself eligible for the 2006 NBA Draft but will not immediately hire an agent, Williams’ grandfather told The Commercial Appeal today. Consequently, the freshman forward can maintain his college eligibility and return to the Tigers if he withdraws from the draft by June 18. The draft is June 28.

"He’s torn on the decision because he enjoys school, but the (financial) needs overshadow everything else," said Leon Williams, who helped raise Shawne. "The time is right if he can get the money and get a good contract."

A chance remains that Shawne Williams will play at Memphis again.

Leon Williams said his grandson intends to maintain his amateur status and that if he is not projected as a top-20 pick "he will probably go back to school." As it stands, there is no guarantee Williams will go that high, though most analysts believe he’s a lock for the top 30.

:man5: :man5:

Memphis' 3 best players might be leaving.

This draft is getting deeper and deeper.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby rydjorker121 on Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:19 pm

He's not NBA-ready.

Quite frankly, I think he's thinking about the NBA too much. He tried to enter the draft out of high school and now he's trying to enter it again, perhaps burning his one and only draft card in the process. Fact of the matter is, I think his stock stayed the same as when he tried to enter out of high school---bubble first rounder material. Great start to the season but hit the freshman wall especially in terms of his natural shooting ability. He has nice size, strength, ballhandling and shooting skills but they all need to be more consistent. Nonetheless I like him as a player, I just think he needs another year if he really wants to be a mid-1st rounder or lotto pick.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby halekulani on Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:26 pm

these kids nowadays...sheesh.
i think they're just shooting for the nbdl.
halekulani

Postby JSM on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:45 am

I agree Jorker, I think his family just needs the money though. So, he's going to take a NBA contract where he can get it. However, I'm guessing he'd be a 15-20 pick off potential alone.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby GCMD on Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:05 am

jsm0331 wrote:I agree Jorker, I think his family just needs the money though. So, he's going to take a NBA contract where he can get it. However, I'm guessing he'd be a 15-20 pick off potential alone.

I'd love to have him as our first round pick...
GCMD

Postby GCMD on Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:13 am

rydjorker121 wrote:He's not NBA-ready.

Quite frankly, I think he's thinking about the NBA too much. He tried to enter the draft out of high school and now he's trying to enter it again, perhaps burning his one and only draft card in the process. Fact of the matter is, I think his stock stayed the same as when he tried to enter out of high school---bubble first rounder material. Great start to the season but hit the freshman wall especially in terms of his natural shooting ability. He has nice size, strength, ballhandling and shooting skills but they all need to be more consistent. Nonetheless I like him as a player, I just think he needs another year if he really wants to be a mid-1st rounder or lotto pick.

Shawn Williams is Luke Walton with athleticism...
GCMD

Postby Dr. Laker on Mon May 29, 2006 8:06 pm

Shawne will be a good player with the right team. He's 20 years old and has never been in shape until now. With proper conditioning and good people around him, he can be a very good player.

I'm not entirely convinced that everyone around him has his best interests in mind.
Dr. Laker

Return to NBA 2014 Draft