Draft Express: Brandon Roy Pulls Out of Charlotte Workout

Draft Express: Brandon Roy Pulls Out of Charlotte Workout

Postby JSM on Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:21 pm

Draft Express: The much anticipated workout between Brandon Roy and Rudy Gay scheduled for June 2nd never transpired. Both Roy and Gay made it to Charlotte and even went through some brief conditioning drills, but after 15 minutes Roy decided to quit, citing that he was not feeling well. The Bobcats were obviously disappointed, as everyone knows the emphasis that Head Coach and GM Bernie Bickerstaff puts on competitiveness.

Plenty of noise was already made about this workout before it was even conducted, as the Bobcats were hoping to have Adam Morrison in with Roy and Gay as well, but Morrison could not attend due to prior marketing obligations and the fact that he did not want to end up making two trips back and forth from the West Coast to the East Coast for the Bobcats workout and then the Orlando pre-draft camp physicals and measurements.

What Roy suffered through is apparently exactly what Morrison wanted to avoid, as the three hour time zone difference between the East and West coast and waking up at 7 AM for a workout (4 AM Pacific) likely had everything to do with the way Roy felt when he started working out. Roy’s camp told us that the rumors that are swirling about him dodging Morrison are “nonsense” and that both players have “great respect for each other and would gladly play against one another if the agents involved would be finally able to get something done.” Roy’s AAU coach Lou Hobson told us that what happened with his former player in Charlotte was a “fatigue issue,” and that “no one should be forced to fly cross country late at night and have to wake up just a few hours later for such an important workout.”

This is not the first time the issue of Roy “dodging” workouts has been brought up, as a team source wondered to us that whether Brazilian prospect Marcus Vinicus Viera de Souza is being avoided by Roy after their workout last week with the Los Angeles Lakers. Rodney Carney appears to have a similar beef with Roy after seeing him pull out of a Houston workout last week. What’s odd is that everything we’ve been hearing is that Roy is playing extremely well in almost every workout he’s been to, particularly a few weeks ago when GMs traveled to Los Angeles to watch him play. A message left for Roy’s agent at the Arn Tellem/Bob Myers Wasserman media group office was not returned. It’s easy to forget in all this mess that Brandon Roy is still the same player he’s always been, in our mind the most polished and NBA ready player in this draft, and an absolute lock to be drafted in top 6 or 7 picks in the draft. Everything else that is surrounding him and the draft process is a bit odd, though.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby KB24 on Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:31 am

After Roy had his (great) workout with the Lakers, he is tanking pretty much.....

hmmmm
KB24
Site Admin

Postby D Nice on Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:24 am

KB8@CL wrote:After Roy had his (great) workout with the Lakers, he is tanking pretty much.....

hmmmm
Maybe so we can move up and get him with the bulls pick :man1:
D Nice

Postby hype on Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:44 am

D Nice wrote:
KB8@CL wrote:After Roy had his (great) workout with the Lakers, he is tanking pretty much.....

hmmmm
Maybe so we can move up and get him with the bulls pick :man1:

i wish
hype

Postby Nelo Ice on Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:50 pm

roy wants the lakers to draft him :man1:
Nelo Ice

Postby KAMILLION on Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:26 pm

The Lakers want Roy and Roy wants the Lakers. Too bad there are 25 teams (picks) standing in our way. I not the smartest guy but I would venture to say one of those teams might not care about our wishes and draft Roy anyway.
KAMILLION

Postby LUUUKE on Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:19 pm

KAMILLION wrote:The Lakers want Roy and Roy wants the Lakers. Too bad there are 25 teams (picks) standing in our way. I not the smartest guy but I would venture to say one of those teams might not care about our wishes and draft Roy anyway.

yea..like mchale :mad1:

he doesnt care if he has mchants anyways..he just wants to piss us off
what's the most resilient parasite?
LUUUKE

Postby JSM on Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:13 pm

KAMILLION wrote:The Lakers want Roy and Roy wants the Lakers. Too bad there are 25 teams (picks) standing in our way. I not the smartest guy but I would venture to say one of those teams might not care about our wishes and draft Roy anyway.

That's why they'd have to trade up.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby BygDaddy on Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:34 pm

Am I the only person here that isn't sold on Roy?
BygDaddy

Postby lakerfanimal on Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:51 pm

BygDaddy wrote:Am I the only person here that isn't sold on Roy?

naw, i dont know how good he'll be either. he was one of my favorite players to watch in college, but he din seem like he was gona be a great nba player.
ImageImage
lakerfanimal

Postby BygDaddy on Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:57 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:

naw, i dont know how good he'll be either. he was one of my favorite players to watch in college, but he din seem like he was gona be a great nba player.

He seemed like a decent college player but I'm not convinced he'll be a great NBA player that I'm willing to trade a Bynum or Mihm for.
BygDaddy

Postby Rabbit on Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:57 pm

hmmmm
First thing I thought of too. Strange, but I don't want to jinx it.
KB8@CL wrote:In Buss I trust.

Rabbit

Postby banks38 on Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:25 pm

Something would ahve to be up for him to just cancel a workout, possibly an injury, but he wouldnt not work out with teams unless he knew something was in place, it might not be with the Lakers, but some team has to have a deal in place to move up and take him. He wouldnt sacrafice his future if he wasnt sure something was going to happen.
banks38

Postby flexxdzl on Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:08 am

I can't really vote one way or another because i haven't seen him play alot....but I don't think we want roy..like we did not want green..there is someone else we are looking at and we are trying to move up to get him...

We could get the 6 from minny ( if we are willing to let walton be apart of the package) or the 4 from portland ( if we take a bad contract from them)..there are 2 point guards NBA ready guards..we can get in FA james and Banks...I think we are trying to get a PF...that's just what my gut is telling me.
flexxdzl

Postby KAMILLION on Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:46 am

JSM, I understand that we would have to move up to get Roy. I said that with a little sarcasm. However, it makes no sense to move up until draft night, unless it is for Chicago's #2. Chicago is in love with Roy and some think they may move Gordon for a big (Frye) and take him with the #2. So, if you believe the trade rumors with Portland, if we moved up to the #4 today it could be all for not.
KAMILLION

Postby Flatlyner on Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:02 am

KAMILLION wrote:JSM, I understand that we would have to move up to get Roy. I said that with a little sarcasm. However, it makes no sense to move up until draft night, unless it is for Chicago's #2. Chicago is in love with Roy and some think they may move Gordon for a big (Frye) and take him with the #2. So, if you believe the trade rumors with Portland, if we moved up to the #4 today it could be all for not.

Maybe all for not for Roy, however, that still leaves us with some mighty tastey prospects to sift through. Sad as losing Roy would be, we would have our choice of several good players (Foye, Morrison/Roy, Thomas, M.Williams). A good problem to have, no?
Flatlyner

Postby SWOL on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:54 am

DO IT MITCH!!!
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby Murdock on Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:00 am

Man i want him sooo badly he looks great ... good fit to triangle and he looks to be very coachable player ... Mitch open your eyes and try to get some good trade for at least 4th pick MITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Murdock

Postby SWOL on Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:20 am

HE PULLED OUT OF THE WORKOUT WITH A RARE ILLNESS CONTRACTED BY ANDREW BYNUM LAST YEAR, ITS CALLED LAKERITIS
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby KB24 on Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:24 am

swolswol wrote:HE PULLED OUT OF THE WORKOUT WITH A RARE ILLNESS CONTRACTED BY ANDREW BYNUM LAST YEAR, ITS CALLED LAKERITIS
:man10:
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Rabbit on Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:18 pm

swolswol wrote:DO IT MITCH!!!

Rabbit

Postby GCMD on Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:09 pm

KAMILLION wrote:...So, if you believe the trade rumors with Portland, if we moved up to the #4 today it could be all for not.

Correct word in that situation is "naught"...not "not"...
GCMD

Postby GCMD on Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:10 pm

KAMILLION wrote:...So, if you believe the trade rumors with Portland, if we moved up to the #4 today it could be all for not.

GCMD

Postby Rabbit on Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:10 pm

GameCockMD wrote:

:mhihi: Come on spelling bee!

Rabbit

Postby GCMD on Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:11 pm

Flatlyner wrote:
KAMILLION wrote:JSM, I understand that we would have to move up to get Roy. I said that with a little sarcasm. However, it makes no sense to move up until draft night, unless it is for Chicago's #2. Chicago is in love with Roy and some think they may move Gordon for a big (Frye) and take him with the #2. So, if you believe the trade rumors with Portland, if we moved up to the #4 today it could be all for not.

Maybe all for not for Roy, however, that still leaves us with some mighty tastey prospects to sift through. Sad as losing Roy would be, we would have our choice of several good players (Foye, Morrison/Roy, Thomas, M.Williams). A good problem to have, no?

NAUGHT!!!!!
GCMD

Next

Return to NBA 2014 Draft