Draft Express: Chicago Bulls Workout

Draft Express: Chicago Bulls Workout

Postby JSM on Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:29 pm

Draft Express: DraftExpress had a chance to speak with three people who were in the gym for a workout on June 1st held by the Chicago Bulls that featured Ronnie Brewer, Shannon Brown, Jared Newson, Dwayne Mitchell, Sean Dockery and David Noel. Their opinions were not always exactly the same, but the following appears to be the general sentiment coming out of the workout.

Ronnie Brewer: Brewer was by far the best overall player at the workout, dominating in stretches and showing the Bulls exactly what they needed to see to likely establish a floor for himself at #16. He did not look like the top athlete in the agility drills, but once the workout got started he showed that he is probably the player who knows how to use his athleticism the best, particularly in the competitive portions. Brewer got to the basket time after time when the opportunity was there, went down to the post when a smaller player was on him, and even knocked down some very pretty jump-shots, including one impressive step-back from deep. He played excellent defense and generally looked highly polished and extremely intelligent in his movements and decision making. He measured out at 6-7 in shoes with a 6-11 wingspan.

Shannon Brown: Brown was having a great stretch of workouts as late as a few days ago, but a tweaked ankle has slowed him down to a certain extent. He shot the ball very well in the drills here, and tested out great athletically, but struggled to create his own shot in the 1 on 1 and 2 on 2 parts of the workout. Brown competed very hard throughout as he always does and showed a very tough and competitive attitude despite the slight ankle problem he suffered in Philadelphia. The most concerning thing to come out of this was the fact that he is only measuring out at 6-1 or 6-1 ½ without shoes depending on which workout measurement you believe, but never more than 6-2 ½ in shoes. Brown is not expected to participate in the Orlando pre-draft camp.

Jared Newson: According to all three sources we spoke with, Newson might have been the biggest surprise of the workout. Most people had never heard of the team he played for, Tennessee Martin, let alone of him, so expectations were quite low until he actually stepped out on the floor. Despite that, Newson apparently did a great job competing throughout the workout, hustling like crazy, playing outstanding defense, showing great quickness and holding his own against the first round prospects he went up against. He measured out at 6-4 ¾ in shoes, with a freakish 7-1 wingspan, and reportedly impressed mightily in the athletic testing as well.

Dwayne Mitchell: Mitchell was probably the best athlete of the six players in attendance. He showed quick feet and great bounce to his step, testing out extremely well in the vertical leap portion of the workout in particular. His offensive skills were just average, especially his ball-handling and perimeter shooting, but defensively he did an excellent job. He is 6-3 ¼ in shoes with a 6-7 wingspan, down from the 6-5 he was listed at in college.

Sean Dockery: This was not the type of setting that Dockery would be able to show his skills in, as all the players here were either taller and stronger combo guards or much taller and much stronger shooting guards. Everyone decided to take Dockery down to the post in the 1 on 1’s and 2 on 2’s, and as most would expect, post defense is not his biggest strength.

David Noel: Noel impressed with his defense and outstanding leadership skills, and also shot the ball fairly well from the college and NBA 3-point line. At 228 pounds, his body is still that of a college power forward’s, though, which hurts his quickness and overall first step. Noel would be best served shedding the muscles and getting down to an NBA shooting guard’s proportions. One observer that watched him thinks he “has a role in the NBA, if he can accept it.”
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby KB24 on Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:37 am

Man do I love Ronnie Brewer...the guy is going to be outstanding.
KB24
Site Admin

Postby JSM on Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:27 am

Jared Newson has a 7-1 wingspan :man4:
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby bumrusherer on Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:58 am

JSM wrote:Jared Newson has a 7-1 wingspan :man4:

I read that when I first woke up..I had to read it twice and thrice to make sure that I read it correctly.

6'4'' with a 7'1'' wingspan is actually quite shocking. It must be nice to touch the floor from an erect posture.
bumrusherer

Postby D Nice on Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:26 am

KB8@CL wrote:Man do I love Ronnie Brewer...the guy is going to be outstanding.
If we move up and don't get Brandon Roy, he's the guy I'd want. Either of those 2 would be an awsome PG of the future who could have a definate immediate impact.
D Nice

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:34 am

I've wanted Brewer since he entered to draft...
But I doubt he'll be Laker, cuz we're going to move up and have early or mid lottery pick, not late lottery where Brewer is projected.
The Kobe Era 2K5

Return to NBA 2013 Draft